Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 11:47 PM   #1
stevew
Hall Of Famer

why is it so hard to make a good Next Gen Mafia game

Apparently the new godfather game sucks. The first one got tedious quick. I'm sure the Soprano game sucked. It seems like the concept should be fairly easy. Yet we haven't seen a good game in a long time. This needs to happen.

Last edited by stevew : 04-21-2009 at 01:44 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:50 PM   #2
SackAttack
Head Coach

Because in the case of The Godfather and The Sopranos, you have character expectations to live up to. You can't do anything too innovative unless you can find a way to make it make sense within the context of the sandbox in which you're playing.

Grand Theft Auto and Saints Row have expectations too, but it's the expectation of following up previous efforts, not of living up to a world that somebody else created.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I recently saw an annoucement for Mafia II which I am excited for. I felt the first one was really good and from what I heard early on about the second one it should be pretty sweet.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #4
sabotai
General Manager

I'd like an update to Gangsters. I remember playing the first one a lot and really liked it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Ahh.. I forgot about Gangsters. I played the shit out of that game. Loved it
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:13 AM   #6
sabotai
General Manager

I wonder if any of the game download sites like direct2drive, GamersGate, etc. have Gangsters available to buy.....

Edit: I've found Gangsters 2 (on Direct2Drive), but not the original.

Last edited by sabotai : 04-21-2009 at 12:14 AM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:15 AM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

gangsters may be on underdogs as abandonware?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:16 AM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
gangsters may be on underdogs as abandonware?

Didn't underdogs shut down a couple of months ago?
Old 04-21-2009, 12:22 AM   #9
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

idk - i was using it in the more all encompassing "somewhere out there on the abandonware games community"

and i found it. on squakenet.com
Old 04-21-2009, 12:29 AM   #10
Peregrine
Pro Starter

It seems to me that a mafia/gangs game that was set up like an open-world RPG would be pretty neat - you start out as a low level soldier in one organization, have to work your way up through quests, getting more powerful, dealing with a ton of other crime factions and groups, etc. Basically like Oblivion but set in a modern world. I doubt something like that would ever get made though.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #11
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
It seems to me that a mafia/gangs game that was set up like an open-world RPG would be pretty neat - you start out as a low level soldier in one organization, have to work your way up through quests, getting more powerful, dealing with a ton of other crime factions and groups, etc. Basically like Oblivion but set in a modern world. I doubt something like that would ever get made though.

Yes. Its pretty much that easy
Old 04-21-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

Wasn't Scarface a pretty good game? Not quite sure that falls into this category but similar I suppose.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:09 AM   #13
Eilim
High School Varsity

I've been waiting for the spiritual successor to "Gangsters" for ages as Gangsters 2 was a big disappointment (can't even remember why at this point.). While Godfather 2 was a letdown, I did like enough of the "Don's View" design and actions, that I started reminiscing about Gangsters and jotting notes for a remake of sorts. If They ever add about 8 more hours to the day, perhaps I'll put my torque 2d license to use and get around to making it.

Hell, at this point I'd be happy for a just an update of the original gangsters that made it a bit more friendly to modern operating systems and equipment. I still have my original disc and manual but think I ran into issues the last time I tried to install in on XP.
Eilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #14
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's funny, reading a review of Gangsters and Gangsters 2 brought back many memories. Gangsters 2 was a big disappointment, they basically dumbed the game down to the point where it was boring, whereas Gangsters was ridiculously difficult and you were lucky to make it 5 weeks in without getting completely destroyed IIRC - you would be doing fine, doing fine and then somebody would declare war on you, all your gangsters would get killed and you would be screwed.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 AM   #15
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Dola-Build skills like charisma, connections, etc. Hell, I'd even like the ability to become an informant on an opposing gang or to become an undercover cop. Go all Donny Brasco and stuff.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #16
Icy
Pro Starter

I also loved the first gangster and hated the second one, that looked more like a mafia themed RTS where you just had to hire 20 hitmen with machine guns and kill every other gangster.

I really miss all those old "tycoon" games that mixed strategy, economy, man management, etc like mafia, constructor, theme hospital, etc.

Icy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:13 AM   #17
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
I also loved the first gangster and hated the second one, that looked more like a mafia themed RTS where you just had to hire 20 hitmen with machine guns and kill every other gangster.

I really miss all those old "tycoon" games that mixed strategy, economy, man management, etc like mafia, constructor, theme hospital, etc.

You can thank every small time game company for really screwing up for tycoon genre. When I saw Prison Tycoon 2 out on the shelf at Target, I knew the industry got too greedy.

Like most in this thread, I loved the first Gangster game. I also loved Mafia and it's clunky driving interface. Really wish there was something halfway decent to play today.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 AM   #18
Flasch186
Coordinator

facebook has something people are playing, I hate it because I keep see these stupid mafia updates.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 AM   #19
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I recently saw an annoucement for Mafia II which I am excited for. I felt the first one was really good and from what I heard early on about the second one it should be pretty sweet.

The original game was very good. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote