Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2006, 01:39 AM   #1
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Free Multiplayer Online Golf...Albatross!

A bunch of people from Octopus Overlords are playing this free multiplayer online golf game. Seems like it's lots of fun. Slick graphics. Lots of RPG aspects incorporated into the game as welll; you use "pang" accumlated through playing to upgrade your golfer's stuff.

Linkie:
http://www.albatross18.com/new/new_index.asp

The basic game is free, but you can spend real cash to get other items to improve play if you'd like. I'm going the basic route for the time being, but I might buy some stuff just to support the makers of the game if I really like it.

I created a character tonight and messed around with a practice round. Shot a +4 on Blue Lagoon. Dam water messed me up.

Anyway, look me up for some quick 3-hole rounds.

FOFC Players
FOFC Name: Albatross User Name
Airhog: Airhog
bbor: bbor
caspanky: caspanky
Coffee Warlord: CoffeeWarlord
FrogMan: FrogMan
Glengoyne: Glengoyne
Godzilla Blitz: GodzillaBlitz
Hurst2112: hurst2112
JeeberD: JeeberD
Lonnie: LonnieB
MattJones4Heisman: MJ4H
Pumpy Tudors: PumpyTudors
radii: radii2
Schmidty: schmidty
SirFozzie: SirFozzie
Terps: IronMan2632
thealmighty: thealmighty
tucker rocky: tuckerrocky
Vince: VinceFOF
WVUFAN: WVUFan
wade moore: wademoore

Helpful Information for a Typical FOFC Room

Server: Crux
Room Name: FOFC
Password: Jim

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 06-13-2006 at 08:43 PM.
Godzilla Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:54 AM   #2
Hurst2112
College Starter

Why don't people say albatross anymore? I always hear 'double eagle'. Not that it is common to get a doubl...albatross.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
Vince
Pro Starter

Downloading now...should be a nice time waster.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:30 AM   #4
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

sounds similar to shot-online
cept shot-online looks a lot better

Last edited by k0ruptr : 05-30-2006 at 05:34 AM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 10:50 AM   #5
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Thanks for the link Godzilla Blitz. I will add this to the freeware/shareware list.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:21 AM   #6
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr
sounds similar to shot-online
cept shot-online looks a lot better

Agreed. I've played both and Shot Online is the better game, though both are certainly good games and well worth the cost (free!).
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #7
caspanky
Mascot

I've signed up too, same screename as here.
caspanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #8
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

This rocks. I like the fact that you can play 3-hole games. Just played my first game against real competition. 3 holes on North Wiz with 2 people took about ten minutes, if that. Great for breaks at work.

Got my first 4 experience points and 81 pang. Only 26 more experience points to go to get to "Rookie E"!

I'll be on later this evening if anyone wants to play some short games. Be fun to get a few of us here playing.

I might have to give Shot Online a look at some point too. Thanks.

Edit: I'll make a list of FOFC people that are playing and put it at the top of this post.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 05-30-2006 at 01:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:58 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

So yeah, this game is starting to get addicted...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
So yeah, this game is starting to get addicted...

No kidding. I played until 1AM last night. And have been playing short rounds during the day as well.

wade, I got your buddy request and accepted it. Was in the middle of a round when it came in and I wasn't sure how to accept it while I was playing.

Just played my first 18-hole round. Thought I joined a 3-hole round on Blue Lagoon but somehow ended up in an 18-hole round on Blue Water (AA). The guy I was playing with got dropped by lag (or quit?) at hole 8, but I played on and finished. As far as I understand it, you get a 1,000 pang bonus for the first time you play each course under par, and then an another 1,000 each time you beat your best sub-par score on a given course. With that in mind, I messed up some putts on the last few holes so that I finished exactly at -1.

I need more power though. I want to get me one of those power shirts, or some power shoes. Must have more distance.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 05-31-2006 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 01:08 PM   #11
Schmidty
Coordinator

I just signed up.

Username: Schmidty
Old 05-31-2006, 01:09 PM   #12
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla Blitz
No kidding. I played until 1AM last night. And have been playing short rounds during the day as well.

wade, I got your buddy request and accepted it. Was in the middle of a round when it came in and I wasn't sure how to accept it while I was playing.

Just played my first 18-hole round. Thought I joined a 3-hole round on Blue Lagoon but somehow ended up in an 18-hole round on Blue Water (AA). The guy I was playing with got dropped by lag (or quit?) at hole 8, but I played on and finished. As far as I understand it, you get a 1,000 pang bonus for the first time you play each course under par, and then an another 1,000 each time you beat your best sub-par score on a given course. With that in mind, I messed up some putts on the last few holes so that I finished exactly at -1.

I need more power though. I want to get me one of those power shirts, or some power shoes. Must have more distance.

I still have only played like 4 or 5 3 hole matches, but it's fun...

I don't get everything, like I still can't figure out how to add spin, but I'm enjoying it...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 05-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

To add spin, you click on the appropriate spot on the big graphic of your ball on the left side of the screen. I don't think we have the ability to add a lot of spin until we get our spin rating higher, though. Still, I've noticed that even a bit of backspin can help clear some obstacles or get a ball to sit on the green better. Topspin adds a bit of distance on drives as well. Very helpful.

I still don't have the greatest feel for how the clothes upgrades and "slots" work. I get the basic idea, but I'm not sure if +1 control adds 1 point to your control rating or adds one slot that has a number of points. I'm a ways away from upgrading stuff yet though so I've got some time to figure it out.

Last edited by Godzilla Blitz : 05-31-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:52 PM   #14
wade moore
lolzcat

ok, I was doing the spin right, just not seeing much impact yet...

was just chatting with caspanky while we were both playing seperate games.. cool feature...

Quote:
Old 05-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
caspanky
Mascot

Played in my first two tournaments today. Pretty cool the way they have it set up. Everyone plays at the same time, and you see white markers for any players on the same hole as you. Little frustrating to see someone make a putt from 40y away, as you miss your 8y one though.

We need to try and set up a FOFC tourny. Even if it is just the few of us playing, or just all join one tourny, and let other people fill it up.
Old 05-31-2006, 03:04 PM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspanky
Played in my first two tournaments today. Pretty cool the way they have it set up. Everyone plays at the same time, and you see white markers for any players on the same hole as you. Little frustrating to see someone make a putt from 40y away, as you miss your 8y one though.

We need to try and set up a FOFC tourny. Even if it is just the few of us playing, or just all join one tourny, and let other people fill it up.

Totally in for an FOFC tourney, but don't know if my weird availability times would be a problem...

I could almost always do it during the day since I work from home, but evenings and weekends are weird sometimes..

Hopefully more than 3 or 4 of us get into it...

Quote:
Old 05-31-2006, 03:17 PM   #17
Vince
Pro Starter

Well, I played a couple of 3-hole rounds today. Handle is VinceFOF. If I'm on later, I'll look you guys up.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:18 PM   #18
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Yeah, I'd be up for a tournament as well. I think we need a minimum of ten players for a tournament, but maybe we'll get there in a few days.

I played in a 35-minute tournament today on North Wiz. It was my first time to play past hole number 6 on that course, so I got hammered on the back nine. Started to run out of time, too, so I had to haul just to finish before the buzzer. Ended up at +2. The winner was -17. It really helps to know the course in tournaments. I spent too much time thinking.

Wade, spanky, and I played some 3-hole rounds this afternoon. The chat feature is great. Talk while you're waiting to shoot. Works out great.

Made it to Rookie Level D, but I still feel the same.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:02 PM   #19
caspanky
Mascot

Yeah, the tourney would probably have to have other people in it. We could do 4 player Match play games too, or something. Game is really addictive.

Oh yeah, nice job holeing that chip shot on that 3rd hole to clinch the match there GB
Old 05-31-2006, 05:44 PM   #20
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

How does match play work?
Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 PM   #21
MJ4H
Coordinator

Signed up as MJ4H. Look me up sometime.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:07 PM   #22
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Vince, Schmidty, Matt: Welcome aboard!

Our numbers are growing!

The buddy list feature works great to keep track of people. Rumor has it that they are adding guilds sometime soon (maybe tomorrow?). That might be something for us to look into.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:34 PM   #23
thealmighty
Pro Starter

In as thealmighty (go figure).

Only played one 18 hole round- by myself. Thought I was going to a practice tee but it made me go play a whole thing. No idea what I am doing.
Old 05-31-2006, 08:40 PM   #24
WVUFAN
College Starter

I'm gonna have to give this a try.

WVUFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 08:42 PM   #25
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thealmighty
In as thealmighty (go figure).

Only played one 18 hole round- by myself. Thought I was going to a practice tee but it made me go play a whole thing. No idea what I am doing.

The tutorial is pretty helpful, plus if you do the whole thing and don't skip any parts you get a paper bag creature for a caddy that adds +1 to your control.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:35 PM   #26
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm online if someone wants to Play. SirFozzie
Old 06-01-2006, 07:55 AM   #27
WVUFAN
College Starter

I'm online as well -- WVUFan if anyone's wants to play.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #28
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

thealmighty, WVUFAN, SirFozzie: Welcome. I've added you to the list.

Turns out we can do a tournament with fewer people than 10. You have to set the minimum amount of people at 10, but the tournament can be started with fewer. I saw one go off today with four people.

You have to get to Level Rookie E before tournaments get activated, though.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:15 PM   #29
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm still Rookie F, but should be home early today if someone wants to play 3-18 against me
Old 06-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #30
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
I'm still Rookie F, but should be home early today if someone wants to play 3-18 against me

No hurry. I'm going to work some this afternoon, but I might be on later in the day again.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:25 PM   #31
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Cool. I was -1 on the Snow/Ice course through three holes in my first try.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #32
caspanky
Mascot

I got my first Eagle last night. Nice chip in from 226y away. Was a beautiful shot that no one but me got to see because it was during a tournament.

Last edited by caspanky : 06-01-2006 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2006, 02:09 PM   #33
wade moore
lolzcat

I got my first Eagle today...

In addition, I got my first tournament at par today.. was .5y away from my first tournament under par ...

Quote:
Old 06-01-2006, 03:27 PM   #34
Vince
Pro Starter

Just finished the Ice course (all 18) at 3 under. Pretty fun game...the guy I was with absolutely annihilated me though (-16). Had some crazy Tomohawk thing that had his ball land in an explosion.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:29 PM   #35
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Just finished the Ice course (all 18) at 3 under. Pretty fun game...the guy I was with absolutely annihilated me though (-16). Had some crazy Tomohawk thing that had his ball land in an explosion.

What I'm finding is people are just damned good at this game...

You have no chance in the tourneys unless you can do no worse than a par and almost every, if not every, hole under par.

Quote:
Old 06-01-2006, 04:54 PM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm on now
Old 06-01-2006, 05:56 PM   #37
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
What I'm finding is people are just damned good at this game...

You have no chance in the tourneys unless you can do no worse than a par and almost every, if not every, hole under par.

They're tricky, yeah, but I think once we get a bit more distance (via items) I think eagles on a few of the par 5's are doable. Spanky and I played in a couple of "rookies only" tournaments where the winners were -15 and -11 on Blue Lagoon, so I think the key might be to find some of those tournaments.

Also, all of us have just the basic gear, so I don't think we're supposed to win anything until we build up some pang and get some upgrades. The golfers that win have more experience (better stats) and better stuff (better stats).

If I make it to beginner, I think I'm going to splurge for the Air Lance II clubs and some other things. Better clubs look like the only things that pang can't buy. $20 will get me 420 cookies, which will get pretty much everything I'd need, I think. I've already played the game more than many games I've paid $50 for, so I think I might do it just to support them.

I also think I'm going to save some pang and buy Bob, the fat guy. He looks to be a balanced golfer. He's 29,000 pang. I think I'm just over 13,000 now.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:02 PM   #38
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Downloading now. CoffeeWarlord (surprise surprise) would be me, soon.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #39
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Downloading now. CoffeeWarlord (surprise surprise) would be me, soon.

Welcome!

Hopefully you can shoot better in this than you did in X-COM.

This is great to see so many people joining up. It's so much more fun to play with people you know.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:20 PM   #40
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hey bitch, CWII survived Mars!

(And you didn't even give him a gun, ass!)

Can you not play a solo round?
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #41
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
They're tricky, yeah, but I think once we get a bit more distance (via items) I think eagles on a few of the par 5's are doable. Spanky and I played in a couple of "rookies only" tournaments where the winners were -15 and -11 on Blue Lagoon, so I think the key might be to find some of those tournaments.

Also, all of us have just the basic gear, so I don't think we're supposed to win anything until we build up some pang and get some upgrades. The golfers that win have more experience (better stats) and better stuff (better stats).

If I make it to beginner, I think I'm going to splurge for the Air Lance II clubs and some other things. Better clubs look like the only things that pang can't buy. $20 will get me 420 cookies, which will get pretty much everything I'd need, I think. I've already played the game more than many games I've paid $50 for, so I think I might do it just to support them.

I also think I'm going to save some pang and buy Bob, the fat guy. He looks to be a balanced golfer. He's 29,000 pang. I think I'm just over 13,000 now.

Yeah, I guess buying stuff really has a pretty big impact...

The $$ for stuff is really clever... because you get people in for free, and then milk the addicts... which could be me before long ...

I definately enjoy playing with you guys more, would be cool if we get a decent number of people on there so that you can almost always find at least one to play with...

CW: Not and have it count, you can do the "learn to play"... But if you do a tournament, it's essentially "playing by yourself" in the sense that you don't have to wait for others to shoot, etc... it's part of what i like about them when not playing with FOFCers...

Quote:
Old 06-01-2006, 07:11 PM   #42
WVUFAN
College Starter

Quote:
Welcome!

Hopefully you can shoot better in this than you did in X-COM.

I wish that X-Com was a multiplayer game. That was by far my favorite game -- it had RPG elements, some cool strategic moments and aliens. You can't ask for more.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:50 PM   #43
bbor
Pro Starter

bbor is in!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:03 PM   #44
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

bbor: Welcome! See you on the links.

Quote:
Yeah, I guess buying stuff really has a pretty big impact...

The $$ for stuff is really clever... because you get people in for free, and then milk the addicts... which could be me before long ...

The nice thing, though, is that you can still compete very well without spending a cent. For the most part, you can get stuff with pang that is nearly the equivalent of stuff you can buy. For example, pants you can get with the pang you earn might be +3 power, while the ones you can buy are +1 power and +3 slots. That's only a small difference, which is nice.

The exception, of course, is clubs. There is no good option for clubs that you can get with pang, and the difference between the Air Lance set you get free at the beginning and the Air Lance II set that you can buy is significant.

I think the system is brilliant, too. If you want to have higher level gear from day one, you can fork up $20-$40 and buy it. However, you won't be able to equip much of it until you've got enough playing experience. If you've got no cash to buy stuff, you can play your butt off and get gear nearly as good with pang you get from playing. Even the one catch--clubs--you can buy for $9.95 and still have enough left over to get a good clothes item as well.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:06 PM   #45
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Dola....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Hey bitch, CWII survived Mars!

(And you didn't even give him a gun, ass!)

You've made my point. There was a very good reason you didn't have a gun: you kept shooting your own men. We were safer with you unarmed.

Anyone know if you can buy a safety helmet with pang? If I'm going to play with Coffee, I might need one.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:11 PM   #46
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'll be signing up tomorrow and playing over the weekend, I think.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:51 PM   #47
Hurst2112
College Starter

im jumpin in. just started playing. look me up!
Old 06-02-2006, 12:45 AM   #48
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

D'oh! I just lost a 3-hole match because I didn't realize it was my turn. I was waiting for the other guy to tee off on the last hole. Got a penalty stoke, ended up tying the guy, and lost because he had more pang.

All us rookies look alike.

Hurst2112, Pumpy, bbor: See you on the links! I was on at the same time you were tonight, Hurst, but it looked like you were in the middle of a match.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:38 AM   #49
Hurst2112
College Starter

damn. that sucks. i looked for you but couldn't find you. is the list of users specific for the room you choose or is it universal?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:51 AM   #50
Godzilla Blitz
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst2112
damn. that sucks. i looked for you but couldn't find you. is the list of users specific for the room you choose or is it universal?

I think it's just for the server you're on at that time. But I accepted your buddy invite now so if you click on your buddy list you can see your buddies regardless of what server they are on. From that you can whisper to them. Right-clicking on them will give you an idea what they are doing, but I don't think it tells you what server they are on. Looks like you were doing pretty well, racking up experience points.

Anyone know how to start a chat with someone/respond to chat from someone while you are playing? Sometimes I'm playing and I'll get a message that someone came online, but I have no idea how to get in touch with them mid-round.