Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-27-2010, 09:25 AM   #1
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Text Sims, Business Models etc..

Hey guys, I posted on the PureSim Baseball forums today releasing my updated sales numbers, and asking some questions about potentially shaking up the way I approach PureSim releases. It got me thinking that the folks over here would be a perfect crew to canvas.

If you have a chance, take a quick peek at the post.

What do you think about the free/cheap base game with premium content / micro transactions model in general? Dungeons and Dragons Online is doing it, as are many other games.

Maybe it's time for games like PureSim to re-think our models? The dynamic of the .99 cent app on iTunes further disrupts the "business as usual" approach. as do FaceBook games like Farmville. Maybe it just does not mesh well with, or compliment our genre, but continually adding incremental new features to PureSim has always been the most comfortable for me as opposed to the release once a year approach.

I know I am rambling...it's 1 part desperation and 1 part fascination...

Thoughts?

Last edited by Shaun Sullivan : 02-27-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Seriously, I think you need to hit the John Deere crowd at Walmart, Kmart and Target. Right now OOTP owns the net crowd. You wont crowd OOTP out. Sure, you will get the odd OOTP crossover but thats never enough.We know how good Puresim is, most never even heard of it. Candy up Puressim a bit and change the name to (something) Tycoon...
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Well it was released at an odd time. A lot of people are burned out on baseball after a 6 month season and most of them have already bought their baseball sim/s for the year.

I really like PureSim but yes you are caught in the middle. OOTP is a very good game(despite the flaws) and for how terrible I think the game is Baseball mogul gets the more simplistic fans.

I can understand your frustration. You do make a great game its unfortunate for you that the baseball market is so competetive.

Your best bet is to add features that OOTP doesnt have. There is thread after thread about people being disgusted about certain things that OOTP hasnt fixed in the past 5 versions.

The other big issue IMO is that so many people already are in OOTP online leagues that the majority of the leagues are not going to all want to switch.

I believe you are winning the "in-game" battle. Your "in game" AI is much stronger. Take this strength that you have and branch out into "head to head" and online leagues where you actually play out the games and then you are unique in which people will notice.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 02-27-2010 at 10:16 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:29 AM   #4
Shaun Sullivan
PureSim

Very interesting comments.

After playing the Tiger Woods Online Beta for the last few weeks, I am starting to wonder if online/head to head might in fact be where I can differentiate.

Of course there are a whole slew of new technical challenges on that front, but it seems I am stuck in the horse latitudes between Mogul and OOTP and I'm not sure I can ever court the lucrative Strat/DMB crowd without branching off and focusing on nothing but replay.

Another thing I am considering is a casual quick to play iPhone game that would be GM focused. With leader boards/GM ratings etc.. Not sure there is much of a market there though...
Shaun Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #5
JimboJ
High School Varsity

I like the idea of an iPhone game. There is probably not much of a market now, but I think you can create one. Look how many millions of people use the app store. Every time someone searches on "baseball", your game would come up. I think there are enough fantasy players, and baseball fans in general, that even though they may not be familiar with text sports sims, they may be intrigued enough to spend $5 to try your game. And if they like that, they may be willing to pay $20 for the PC game.

I think your biggest problem is marketing, and this would be a great way to get you exposure to a bigger audience. And the smart phone user base is only going to increase going forward. I think this is something you should seriously consider.

Last edited by JimboJ : 02-27-2010 at 10:46 AM.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:57 AM   #6
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

It has to be tough with 3 career baseball sims out there and DMB for replay to boot.

I'm not sure why BM fans haven't come over to your camp yet..
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #7
Flasch186
Coordinator

Facebook game. Done.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
It has to be tough with 3 career baseball sims out there and DMB for replay to boot.

I'm not sure why BM fans haven't come over to your camp yet..

I have an idea why....

BM, besides being easier has more eye-candy. Personally I like it for the finances and stadium building even though it is rather simplistic. I prefer PS for its more realistic gameplay but there is a lot to be said for simplistic games where you dont have to rub too many brain-cells together after a long day at work....
Old 02-27-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathetic Lurker View Post
I have an idea why....

BM, besides being easier has more eye-candy. Personally I like it for the finances and stadium building even though it is rather simplistic. I prefer PS for its more realistic gameplay but there is a lot to be said for simplistic games where you dont have to rub too many brain-cells together after a long day at work....

Very true. In BM you can easily sim 20 seasons in a few hours and do enough that you think you are influencing your career path.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have an idea why....

I find Puresim just as easy and I don't feel like the results are just random numbers.

BM is not a bad game.. I played the heck out of last years game.. but Puresim has come a LONG way over the past few months.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I could go on about this for days...I'll write on your thread over there though.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #12
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
I find Puresim just as easy and I don't feel like the results are just random numbers.

BM is not a bad game.. I played the heck out of last years game.. but Puresim has come a LONG way over the past few months.

For better or worse I think PS is looked on as a thinking man's game, sort of like FM
Old 02-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #13
cougarfreak
College Starter

All the back and forth moving with developers can't help. Pick something and stick with it. Then your base will grow.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #14
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
For better or worse I think PS is looked on as a thinking man's game, sort of like FM

That's interesting... I find it extremely easy and very intuitive to jump right into an MLB setup and start playing.
Old 02-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
BYU 14
Coordinator

Jbergey hit on a real good point, take the flaws of other games and try and do those things well with PS and you can pick up some of those disgruntled folks. Adding Managers with varying tendencies seems to be a big "want" with the PS crowd as an example and the modular approach seems to have support too. I also think you need to get on a release cycle that brings some "new, big" feature to the table when Baseball Season is getting underway and find a way to get the word out cheaply over the internet through search engines and maybe some fantasy league websites that offer cheap banners.

Head to head on the net could be something to look at too. I know there is a thread on the PS boards now talking about table top games and the common theme seems to be that the one thing no computer game fully offers is that feeling of "sitting at the table" with a buddy, dad, etc enjoying a competitive game of strat, APBA whatever. I think Puresim captures the essence of what a lot of gamers love in the table top games that would translate better than any of the other sims out there. Going back to the paragraph above, I think you can pull in some of those that play in fantasy leagues with this feature.

Another thing to keep in mind is your current audience. A poll on your boards showed that most of us that play PS are over 40 and there are a lot of historical simmers that enjoy Puresim. Continue to tweak historical replay value (more errors and complete games in the Deadball era for instance) to keep that core strong and maybe think about some eye candy (ala FM 2010 simple 3D graphics) to maybe bring some younger players in. I know that part not might be worth the effort it takes to program, but just a thought.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 02-27-2010 at 03:42 PM.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #16
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
That's interesting... I find it extremely easy and very intuitive to jump right into an MLB setup and start playing.

I never said it was difficult to get into...

But I think the perception out there is that more eye-candy is more accessible to the average joe, while something that still has hints of spread-sheet must be more difficult.

off on a tangent: We are in serious need of a puresim-like curling management game....hint hint
Old 02-27-2010, 04:23 PM   #17
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

web based game where you pay for seasons (think hattrick but better and baseball )
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:42 PM   #18
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I never said it was difficult to get into...

But I think the perception out there is that more eye-candy is more accessible to the average joe, while something that still has hints of spread-sheet must be more difficult.

I know you didn't think it was.. I guess I'm just shocked some of those BM fans haven't at least tried the demo.. maybe some have?

It's hard to take die hard fans from a series, but I think Shaun needs to be a little patient with Puresim.. Markus didn't have near the fan base he does now back in the early days off ootp and ootp2.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 02-27-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 05:24 PM   #19
Qrusher14242
High School JV

yeah, by the time it was released, people had already played ootp for months and baseball was over. It's tough to get into baseball after its over. Also, if the game was quicker it might attract more simmers. A lot of people play ootp for just simming and its hard to do in puresim, its just slower.

I wish more people used it, its great for ingame play. Much better than OOTP in that facet. I also like the almanac and the newspaper too.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #20
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
It's hard to take die hard fans from a series, but I think Shaun needs to be a little patient with Puresim.. Markus didn't have near the fan base he does now back in the early days off ootp and ootp2.

Puresim has been developed since 1998 - maybe earlier.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 02-27-2010 at 05:30 PM.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:24 PM   #21
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post
Puresim has been developed since 1998 - maybe earlier.

Yes, but it hasn't been a full time job as Shaun juggles PS with his job. What I'm trying to say is becoming a developer with a growing fan base takes time and what Shaun has done since coming to WS will only help his base grow.

I wasn't going to purchase ootp11 since I figured x would be fine.. but I did because after reading the improvements/features of ootp11 again and again, I decided there were some things in there that saving the $10 was a no brainer.

Shaun is working on ps3 and giving it away for all ps2 owners, while that's cool, he should charge for it - as long as he has a nice list of improvements/features.

Just my $0.02.
Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM   #22
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

One thing I would try if I were you is one of the things that Major League Manager tried:

Distribute free copies to the baseball bloggers. The SB Nation type baseball bloggers. There are some blogs out there with pretty good audiences and if you offer them a crack at it for a review on their site......

That is where the baseball dorks who want to grow up to be Billy Beane are located these days. Athletics Nation, River Ave Blues, Viva El Birdos etc....
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #23
SteveMax58
College Starter

Shaun...a few thoughts for you.

In-Game development
I would just echo some thoughts that others have posted so far. A focus on online play and h2h (which has to be part of the league play...not just a pickup game) would be the direction I'd go if I were talented enough to do so. Aside from that...find a few more small to medium items that the others dont do well that you can implement well. And just add some minor tweaks/additions that the PS community is looking for.

Business Model
I think you're heading in the right direction with your thoughts...change everything. I'd change my entry point price to sub $10 and charge incremental "option modules" that unlock features. This means you'd need to separate out your "bug" patches and "feature" patches...but so be it. You could still throw a couple of features in the bug patches as you see fit.

I think this would need some fleshing out...but I would think something like this:
Core PS game...$8.99
Includes PureSim Classic & Quickstart, unlimited seasons, latest Lahman DB (and any feature not called out below)

Financials...$4.99
Unlocks all options related to finances including era specific financials, free agency, and team finances.

Multiplayer Leagues...$6.99

Unlocks the ability to export/import online league files & HTML

Online H-2-H Play...$4.99 (perhaps bundle w/ Multiplayer for $9.99)

Unlocks ability to play H-2-H with other players via iPhone, PC, or other supported devices. Can be coupled with Multiplayer Leagues to enable h2h league play or just casual games with other players. Users can play H2H in 1 of 3 modes...Multiplayer League, Casual H2H, & Best "x" Series H2H. Players can use any team they have from any league or Lahman DB in the last 2 options.

Historical Mode...$4.99
Unlocks Real Major League Players mode (besides current year) and allows for all associated options & Replay capabilities.

Bug Fix Updates...FREE for Life!!

This includes functionalities cause game crashes, fundamental AI fixes, or optimizations to the game.

Feature Updates...$5.99/yr
Includes AI/UI tweaks, and any other updates made to the game engine. Includes a minimum of 4 updates or 1 yr...whichever is happens last.

EDIT: I think you'd probably want to kick some of the numbers around and/or "module" suggestions but I think the point is that you need to lower the entry price without giving away all of the features for free. But if you can entice enough people to "take a stab at it"...you may not only increase sales more than the double (which is what you'd have to hope for in my pricing model)...but you'd then likely encourage feature adds/upgrades (or at least the number would presumably be more than zero).

Last edited by SteveMax58 : 02-27-2010 at 07:15 PM.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #24
lynchjm24
College Benchwarmer

I wonder if there is a publisher who would publish it as a $9.99 bin title at the Walmarts and Target type retailers? Seems like OOTP did pretty well when they rebranded the game as Season Ticket Baseball for a release on CD.
lynchjm24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #25
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

First off let me say, I have been following this game when it first started and you have made tremendous strides in developing it. However, the game really hasn't caught on. Now we have to figure out why.

Action PC and DMB fulfill the historical replay niche
Baseball Mogul fulfills the quick and dirty career game niche
OOTP fulfills the more complex workings of baseball niche

Offhand it would seem like Puresim strikes the happy medium between all three or at the very least between Mogul and OOTP, but clearly people are not looking for a middle ground game.

My feelings are price is inconsequential. If people want a game, they will pay upwards of 50 dollars for it and if they don't want it, no price drop is going to lure them as you have noticed.

So the question is what niche are you going to fill? What will lure people to the game? My feeling is the one area all the games are lacking in is the in-game experience I would add simple graphics. Think about how many people have mentioned Microleague and that niche still has not been met by any of these games. This would differentiate you. Also, I would add customizeable sounds to the game. So for instance the game could come with the Harry Caray sound pack and every time a home run was hit youd get a holy cow, every time a strike out would happen he would say his catch phrase for that and so on. And for the people who want different announcers (perhaps hawk harrelson) youd have a setup where it would be easy to replace the sounds. With just these two add-ons, you have a game that is completely different from any other on the market. Now will it work? I don't know. Maybe not enough people would want it, but its not more of the same and as of now Puresim is viewed as more of the same.

I have other thoughts, but I will hush for the time being :-)
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #26
Logan
Head Coach

Are any of these games available on Macs?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #27
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Are any of these games available on Macs?

OOTP
Old 02-27-2010, 08:29 PM   #28
Comey
College Starter

H2H wins a very, very large battle. I think, if OOTP had this, it would win the war (for lack of a better term).

The ability to have H2H online leagues would be a *massive* get for any game. I'm not sure if Markus has ever gotten that; after the trials that became OOTP6 or 2007 or whatever, he seemed to have given up on it, his interest in it waned.

I simply cannot state this enough; any baseball or football game that incorporates this will get a big following. The ability to manage and play out our games is that big.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:41 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post
My feelings are price is inconsequential. If people want a game, they will pay upwards of 50 dollars for it and if they don't want it, no price drop is going to lure them as you have noticed.

I think you've got a pretty good point here, at least as far as traditional delivery models on PC go. While the current economy certainly lends itself to microtransactions, I really don't see too many people saying "oh heck, if only Game XYZ was $10 cheaper I'd buy it".

Quote:
Also, I would add customizeable sounds to the game. So for instance the game could come with the Harry Caray sound pack ...

While sounds could be done, the cost associated with even trying to get the rights from various known voices (or their estates) would be a stone cold killer.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:49 PM   #30
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I think you've got a pretty good point here, at least as far as traditional delivery models on PC go. While the current economy certainly lends itself to microtransactions, I really don't see too many people saying "oh heck, if only Game XYZ was $10 cheaper I'd buy it".

Perhaps... I think for new entries into the market, I'd be certainly more willing to take a shot at a $20 game than a $40 game.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #31
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Steams regular deals put the lie to that. They had some nice numbers after the initial round they did a year ago showing how many more sales / how much more total profit was brought in by running 50% off and 75% off sales, to the point that companies made more money at the $10 price point than they were at the $40 price point. Granted this depends on a distribution service like Steam where anyone on the service sees the sale, but they've made a pretty big point on price point.

See for example: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/57308. There are other articles around if you want to dig.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Steams regular deals put the lie to that. They had some nice numbers after the initial round they did a year ago showing how many more sales / how much more total profit was brought in by running 50% off and 75% off sales, to the point that companies made more money at the $10 price point than they were at the $40 price point. Granted this depends on a distribution service like Steam where anyone on the service sees the sale, but they've made a pretty big point on price point.

Aren't those sales (as in price cuts, not net sales) largely on dated material that wasn't going to sell any longer at/near full price? If not then I'll willingly stand corrected but that's very much the impression I've gotten from the various posts here highlighting one deal or another on Steam.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:17 PM   #33
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Could you get PS put up on a service like Steam?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:47 AM   #34
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm a bit pessimistic about the text sims biz right now, but i think it's a dying one. Just look at current amount of new releases compared with a few years ago. It's been always a niche market, and current crisis forced most of developers to look for a daily job and put text sims development as side hobby. FM an OOTP might be the only full time projects right now.

It seems that most of the text sim buyers are in their late 30 and 40's, that means the consumers base is not growing but are just the same guys still loyal to the concept, in fact i see the same nicks at most of text sims forums.

Younger generations are spoiled by consoles, good graphics, no messing with computer installs etc, and don't care that much about gameplay depth.

I'm even playing more sports games in consoles lately than in pc, as being in my mid 30's, with wife, kid, work, etc, i don't have that much time to play deep games daily, so i also look for the quick satisfaction of loading a game in my PS3 like MLB the show or NBA2k and playing it for like 1 hour, instead of playing text sims or complex wargames for like 3+ hours before.

I also play more game modes like "be a pro" or "road to the show" etc where the lack of proper GM AI is less noticeable than when playing franchise modes in console games, that is where text sims are way better.

After my pessimistic post, about PS, if you want a bigger audience, you might try the web based games biz model, that worked really well for games like hattrick or goal line blitz (heck i expended like $300 on this before getting tired of it), but you will also end with more problems and time needed to support thousands of customers, hosting issues, database optimization, hacking attempts, etc.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:15 AM   #35
SteveMax58
College Starter

Yeah, I think the problem with the higher price point isn't that people who "know" what they are getting arent willing to pay for it...it's that the people who are completely unfamiliar are (at a minimum) less likely to even try it. There may also be an intimidation factor associated with the higher entry price as well (i.e. "this may be too complicated for me if it costs that much").

I realize a counter argument is "that's what the demo is for"...but I dont believe that to be what most (unfamiliar) consumers use it for. The demo (IMHO) really acts as more of a proof of concept, or validation of a functioning game, for somebody that might be considering it. The lower entry cost gives the impulse buyer the "guilt-free" ability to try it at their leisure without having to justify the cost to themselves (most people looking for games can justify $10 on a throwaway purchase whereas $20+ becomes an investment).
Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #36
Philliesfan980
Banned

I'm in the crowd of really wanting to like text sims, but quite honestly, after spending 45-55 hours a week at work mainly dealing with financials, spreadsheets, and other tasks of that nature, I just don't have the attention span to deal with it when I get home from work.

I'll be honest - The most fun I've had with a game (Console or PC), was with High Heat's 1 pitch manage only mode. I need some graphics to keep me interested. They can be simplistic and dated (preferably more than what the current text sims do with the "ball flight" stuff), it doesn't matter to me. I just need something to show me what's going on in the field. I realize that some games today have Manage Only modes, but many of them just take too long to play. I tried the Manage Only mode with MLB The Show, and I ended up spending an hour and a half or so per game. Just way too long. I want something that can get through a normal game in 20-25 minutes.

I'm not sure if this would work for logical reasons, but I think releasing this type of game on consoles via the PSN or Live is really the way to go. I'm sure you wouldn't be able to use real MLB players, and to me, I'm not even sure if that's a big deal. But as long as you provide an easy to use (ie, I can input stats and the ratings are assigned automatically) roster editor, I'm sure people would end up creating real rosters.

I figure I'm probably in the minority with this sort of game, but I'd love to see someone do it.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #37
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Could you get PS put up on a service like Steam?

I would second this, at the very least that type of distribution would get the game more looks..
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:06 AM   #38
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
It seems that most of the text sim buyers are in their late 30 and 40's, that means the consumers base is not growing but are just the same guys still loyal to the concept, in fact i see the same nicks at most of text sims forums.
For FM at least our demographic hasn't changes much for the PC title since I started with the company 12+ years ago tbh.

One thing we have done though to try expand that demographic (at both ends) and 'bring through' new blood (so to speak) is to establish the Football Manager Handheld game, its faster to play than the PC version and a little less intensive from a users perspective.

This helps in two ways:

* It brings new blood into the FM family as younger players are more likely to pick it up and give it a go.
* It gives people who might have been hooked on FM PC but now have less time available to play it a route to continue enjoying our games without causing their other half to divorce them

Both are valid areas for us to address imho and I believe the FMH products are realistic, enjoyable and fit that niche nicely.

PS - Available on download from the PSP PSN store now, this has been a public service advert - thank you for listening

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 02-28-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
For FM at least our demographic hasn't changes much for the PC title since I started with the company 12+ years ago tbh.

One thing we have done though to try expand that demographic (at both ends) and 'bring through' new blood (so to speak) is to establish the Football Manager Handheld game, its faster to play than the PC version and a little less intensive from a users perspective.

This helps in two ways:

* It brings new blood into the FM family as younger players are more likely to pick it up and give it a go.
* It gives people who might have been hooked on FM PC but now have less time available to play it a route to continue enjoying our games without causing their other half to divorce them

Both are valid areas for us to address imho and I believe the FMH products are realistic, enjoyable and fit that niche nicely.

PS - Available on download from the PSP PSN store now, this has been a public service advert - thank you for listening

to this end, a PureSim IPhone game (and also an FM IPhone game) would be great. They don't need to be as complex, but they can help bring new players into the franchise.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:59 PM   #40
Philliesfan980
Banned

Would anyone want to see a game with High Heat style "1 pitch" Manage Only mode? Or am I the only one?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #41
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post
Would anyone want to see a game with High Heat style "1 pitch" Manage Only mode? Or am I the only one?

I would. Earl Weaver & Micro League Baseball had that type of setup as well. I think even simple canned sprite animations like Micro League would be adequate for a simulation game. Enough to look at so you understand what happened but quick enough that you can get thru a game in under 20 minutes (adjustable speed would be better).
Old 02-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #42
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yes.. that was a great game and I loved the one pitch mode!
Old 02-28-2010, 08:59 PM   #43
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I think for sure releasing a game after the baseball season is done, which is based on a version that was given away for free for months is not a recipe for good sales. Think Baseball Annuals that come out every year. They're out in February, hyping the baseball season. If Sporting News came out in October how well would it sell?

Also the history of the game does have an impact as well. OOTP has been relatively stable over the years, published by different companies but in general once a year you'll see an OOTP game. With Puresim it hasn't been that way, has been very sporadic. It's not in people's subconscious memory to have the "need" to buy your game. But if you did release a version of Puresim quality every March, it would become tradition for many people.

Also I agree with everybody on this board about the graphics. If Micro League Baseball could do it in the 80's as well as Earl Weaver Baseball, wouldn't it be possible to put some sort of visual aspect to the game? That would instantly separate it from the other text sims which are competing for our dollars. The first one that gets there will have a huge advantage.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #44
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I think for sure releasing a game after the baseball season is done, which is based on a version that was given away for free for months is not a recipe for good sales. Think Baseball Annuals that come out every year. They're out in February, hyping the baseball season. If Sporting News came out in October how well would it sell?

Also the history of the game does have an impact as well. OOTP has been relatively stable over the years, published by different companies but in general once a year you'll see an OOTP game. With Puresim it hasn't been that way, has been very sporadic. It's not in people's subconscious memory to have the "need" to buy your game. But if you did release a version of Puresim quality every March, it would become tradition for many people.

Also I agree with everybody on this board about the graphics. If Micro League Baseball could do it in the 80's as well as Earl Weaver Baseball, wouldn't it be possible to put some sort of visual aspect to the game? That would instantly separate it from the other text sims which are competing for our dollars. The first one that gets there will have a huge advantage.

People are confounding text sims made by studios backed by big publishers versus individual dudes who are essentially hobbyists. I think there could be more collaboration in the community, but I think what ends up happening is the niche market creates weird alliances that end going sour, leaving the hobbyist developers reluctant to partner up again and well, rinse, wash, repeat.

I think marketing is job 1, 2 and 3. The game has changed a ton since the 1990s and while OOTP seems to be dabbling in social media, I still think the potential is greatly untapped. Now could be the golden age of the genre, if people knew these games existed. But they don't.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #45
cuervo72
Head Coach

/wonders how much it would cost to have a customized MP version for FOBL programmed
Old 03-01-2010, 02:11 PM   #46
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola - hell, we'd even throw in a team.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:34 PM   #47
Sgran
High School Varsity

I discovered OOTP about a year ago and recently upgraded from 8 to 10. To be frank, you're not getting me away from OOTP by making a more precise baseball sim. What few warts OOTP has are bearable, and the software itself is remarkably stable. The stats and AI management may not be picture perfect, but they pass the sniff test. I feel like I won't even buy another version of OOTP for several years, even if I have to drop out of my league (okay, that may be a bluff).
If you want my money you're going to have to give me decent graphics of the games playing out. It's 2010 and I strain my eyes enough at work -- I'm tired of reading. This goes for FOF and Wolverine as well: no graphics, no Sgran.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:38 PM   #48
kenparker23
n00b

Quote:

yes, yes, yes. A sim engine and interface like puresim, combined with manager and in-game graphics ( think earl weaver but cleaner and better). You could even have a stadium editor to customize the look and feel of your stadium.

Text sims can only go so far and in the end, I want to see that towering home run leave the park in an accurate, rendered environment.

just my opinion.
kenparker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:27 AM   #49
Tim Tellean
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgran View Post
I discovered OOTP about a year ago and recently upgraded from 8 to 10. To be frank, you're not getting me away from OOTP by making a more precise baseball sim. What few warts OOTP has are bearable, and the software itself is remarkably stable. The stats and AI management may not be picture perfect, but they pass the sniff test. I feel like I won't even buy another version of OOTP for several years, even if I have to drop out of my league (okay, that may be a bluff).
If you want my money you're going to have to give me decent graphics of the games playing out. It's 2010 and I strain my eyes enough at work -- I'm tired of reading. This goes for FOF and Wolverine as well: no graphics, no Sgran.

All of Gary's games do have graphics with a moving 2d oncourt display. FOF doesn't because Jim isn't interested in the graphics piece from what I have heard but Gary has Paul and now Ivan/Icy who work hard on the graphics for that eye candy appeal.
I'm just saying....
Tim Tellean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 05:46 AM   #50
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

I actually like Flasch's idea of a facebook app (PureSim Lite). Basically a light-weight version of PureSim that is free and thus allows you to get the PureSim name out there to an audience you might normally not have. Some of the other options stated in this thread have merit as well, but the Facebook one makes the most sense to me with the success of the text games like Mafia Wars, Farmville, etc on Facebook.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote