Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #1
21C
College Prospect

How Much Sleep Do You Get?

What's a normal night's sleep for you?

I usually try to get about 8 hours ( sleep at 11 - wake at 7 ) but I often end up feeling like shit the next day - tired and run down by lunchtime.

I've been pushing things a bit lately by staying up until 1am but still getting up at 7. I thought that this would mean that I'd feel even worse but I have to say that I've felt pretty good. If I ever had a late night on a work night in the past, I usually tried to "catch up" the next night but I'd still end up feeling run down. I actually went the whole week with 6 hours of sleep each night.

I love my sleep ( or at least the idea of sleeping in ) but I also love staying up. I've always been a night owl and hate the idea of getting up early so I certainly make up for things on the weekend by sleeping in then.

So what about everyone else? How much sleep is a normal night for you?

Last edited by 21c : 03-11-2005 at 12:14 AM.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:18 AM   #2
FBPro
College Starter

Typically 6 or 7 is tops for me.
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
MrBug708
Head Coach

9 or so, unless Im seeing a girl...then i tend to get less and not for the best of reasons either...
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #4
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

1am to 8am for me lately (and usually get up once when Hannah wakes up), and it's not quite enough. Haven't had a good night's sleep in a while.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:22 AM   #5
MikeVic
Head Coach

If I get 9 or so, I feel bad in the morning. All disoriented, tired, and stuff. If I get 6-8, that seems to be the best. Even 5 once a week is ok, but I'll be really tired by the end of the day.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:29 AM   #6
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I alternate 7 or 8 with 2, never going to bed at the same time on two consecutive nights. Drives my poor wife absolutely insane.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #7
TLK
Pro Starter

I don't function well if I don't have eight hours sleep....

Last edited by TLK : 03-11-2005 at 12:33 AM.
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 AM   #8
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic
Drives my poor wife absolutely insane.
My sleep habits never match my wife's. She goes to bed early while I stay up and she's up early while I sleep in ( when I can ).

Mind you, I'm wide awake in the morning when I get a tap on the shoulder . . .
Old 03-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
bbor
Pro Starter

In bed by 3 am...up at 10am...nap at 6pm

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:37 AM   #10
sabotai
General Manager

Usually fall to sleep around 4am and I start waking up at about 8am.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #11
SlapBone
High School JV

Sleep is for pussies.
SlapBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:41 AM   #12
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Depends on whether I'm dreaming of Suicane or not...
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:43 AM   #13
kingfc22
Head Coach

Bed around 1, wake up around 8 on morning shift days and around 10-11 on day offs and evening shift days.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:51 AM   #14
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

tonight, btw, I'll go to bed at 3, get up with the baby at 5, then back to sleep until 8...and my ass will pretty much be toast by the end of the day.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:32 AM   #15
JeeberD
General Manager

Usually around 6-8 hours...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:33 AM   #16
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Not nearly enough. Mostly go to bed by 2 and wake up around 7 or 7:30 (depending on the day). On the weekends I sleep crazy late though.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:44 AM   #17
Tigercat
College Starter

Usually 10-12 hours every 2 or 3 days. My body does not like to sleep "Regularly" for some messed up reason.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:48 AM   #18
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well..I've worked nights mostly since November, so I would sleep from say 2am or 3am until between 9am and 12 noon..depending.

But after Sunday, I'm going to be working from home entirely. So, it'll be probably down to about 5 or 6 hours a night. I don't really like sleep, nor do I require lots. So long as I sleep in on weekends, I make up for whatever I lose during the week.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:02 AM   #19
Suicane75
Coordinator

Between 3 and 6. And i'm always dreaming of Sov.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:18 AM   #20
sooner333
College Starter

Sun-Wed night I'm usually about 1:30-8:30, plus or minus a half hour to get up, shower, and go to my 9:30 class. Fridays, I have a 11:30 class, so it really varies. Then on the weekends usually really late to about 11:00-11:30, sometimes later.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:03 AM   #21
Sharpieman
Greatly Missed. (7/11/84-06/12/05)

Usually 4-6 hours on the weekdays. I stay up pretty late and wake up at 9am. On the weekends I get around 10-14 hours of sleep.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:33 AM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
tonight, btw, I'll go to bed at 3, get up with the baby at 5, then back to sleep until 8...and my ass will pretty much be toast by the end of the day.

or, maybe I'll just get up at 6:30 instead. *sob*
Old 03-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #23
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Usually around 4-5 hours. I get to sleep between midnight and 1am, then up at 5:30. Once every week or two, I'll go to sleep between 10 and 11 and get 7 hours sleep. That usually catches me up so that I can stay up late for the next week.

And now with baseball season about to start and a west coast game on nearly every night, I'll be pushing 1am nearly every night, I bet.

On the weekends, if we're lucky, the kids let us sleep in until 6:15.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-11-2005 at 06:36 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #24
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
6 hours. Once every week or two I'll crash for a full 8.

If Im sick with flu, fever, bronchitis, etc. there can be a bear like slumber of 10-12 hours.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:01 AM   #25
KevinNU7
College Starter

Typically 11-6:30
Old 03-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #26
Ksyrup

With kids, it's gotten to where I can't sleep past 7am even if I have the opportunity. When I go on a business trip or when the wife takes the kids to see relatives for a weekend, even if I have no reason to be up before noon, I'll be up before 7. It's sad, really.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #27
Huckleberry
College Starter

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=97955&page=1

The Barking Carnival (Longhorn-centered sports blog)
College Football Adjusted Stats and Ratings
Huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:18 AM   #28
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Usually around 4-5 hours. I get to sleep between midnight and 1am, then up at 5:30. Once every week or two, I'll go to sleep between 10 and 11 and get 7 hours sleep. That usually catches me up so that I can stay up late for the next week.

And now with baseball season about to start and a west coast game on nearly every night, I'll be pushing 1am nearly every night, I bet.

On the weekends, if we're lucky, the kids let us sleep in until 6:15.

I knew you'd have the same kind of schedule we have

To bed around 11:30, up at 5:45 on weekdays, and almost up to 7 on weekends, where I catch up and get ready for the cycle to start over again But often, it's 6-6:15 on weekends too, but it's okay. We have breakfast and go watch the Premiership on TV (7:30 our time, 12:30 England time I think)

FM
Old 03-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #29
Ksyrup

One positive about getting up at 6am as opposed to 8 or 9 is that it feels like you gain a half a day. The few times I've gotten up as late as 9 in the past 5 years, it feels like it's noon in about 15 minutes. When you're up at 6am, you think it's noon and it's only 10am. On the weekends, that's a pretty cool feeling.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:55 AM   #30
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
One positive about getting up at 6am as opposed to 8 or 9 is that it feels like you gain a half a day. The few times I've gotten up as late as 9 in the past 5 years, it feels like it's noon in about 15 minutes. When you're up at 6am, you think it's noon and it's only 10am. On the weekends, that's a pretty cool feeling.

That is very true, especially on Saturday morning, where I get up, watch a good part of a soccer game while playing with kiddo in the living room (if not the whole game), he then goes to take a nap and I get ready for karate which is at 11. When we get back from karate, I have the feeling it's like 4-5 pm, but it's only 12:30-1 and I can eat and then go grocery shopping, or do whatever yard work is need around the house

FM
Old 03-11-2005, 11:07 AM   #31
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Usually 4-6 hours on the weekdays. I stay up pretty late and wake up at 9am. On the weekends I get around 10-14 hours of sleep.

This describes me just about perfectly.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 AM   #32
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

When I was actually working, around 5-6. I'm pretty much an insomniac. Doesn't matter how tired I am, always takes me at least an hour to actually fall asleep when I try, often more.

Weekends, I usually picked up a good 8-10 hours.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:27 AM   #33
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpieman
Usually 4-6 hours on the weekdays. I stay up pretty late and wake up at 7am. On the weekends I get around 10-14 hours of sleep.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:13 PM   #34
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Weekdays: 11:00/11:30p - 6:00a (6.5-7.0 hours)
Non-School Weekends: 3:00a - 12:00p (9 hours)
School Weekends: 3:00a - 7:30a (4.5 hours)

Seven seems about right for me, on the weekends I think 9 is too much and obviously 4.5 is too little because I almost always take a nap of at least 1 hour on Saturday and Sundays.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:34 PM   #35
Franklinnoble
Banned

I have small children. I never get to sleep in anymore. And I rarely get over 7 hours of sleep. And that's rarely uninterrupted.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 12:35 PM   #36
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
I have small children. I never get to sleep in anymore. And I rarely get over 7 hours of sleep. And that's rarely uninterrupted.

Frank, see my reply and Ksyrup's reply. Welcome to the club

FM
Old 03-11-2005, 12:39 PM   #37
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21c
What's a normal night's sleep for you?

I usually try to get about 8 hours ( sleep at 11 - wake at 7 ) but I often end up feeling like shit the next day - tired and run down by lunchtime.

I've been pushing things a bit lately by staying up until 1am but still getting up at 7. I thought that this would mean that I'd feel even worse but I have to say that I've felt pretty good. If I ever had a late night on a work night in the past, I usually tried to "catch up" the next night but I'd still end up feeling run down. I actually went the whole week with 6 hours of sleep each night.

I love my sleep ( or at least the idea of sleeping in ) but I also love staying up. I've always been a night owl and hate the idea of getting up early so I certainly make up for things on the weekend by sleeping in then.

So what about everyone else? How much sleep is a normal night for you?

I have heard that getting 6 or 9 hours of sleep is better than getting the regularly suggested 8, due to your body's sleep cycle. during the 8th hour, you are in your heaviest period of sleep. (you sleep in 3 hour cycles)
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 01:59 PM   #38
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Sleep cycles vary among individuals. Some individuals have a 90 minute sleep cycle, some have a sleep cycle that is as long as 2 and a half hours. A 3 hours sleep cycle is very rare. I actually had a night time EEG done while an intern just to help me plan my sleep schedule. My sleep cycle is about 100 minutes long. So, I try to sleep either 6 hours and 40 minutes or 8 hours and 20 minutes. However, when I'm on call my sleep cycle gets all messed up. I was up 34 hours straight on Monday, slept 10 hours Tuesday, up 38 hours straight on Weds then slept 3-9PM on Thursday and then 1 to 7AM. I still feel like crap. Hoping to get my sleep back on track this weekend.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:13 PM   #39
cuervo72
Head Coach

I'd say 5-6 during the week, though by Friday or Saturday I am usually pretty tired, and like to sleep in one of the weekend days (usually my wife will sleep in the other, unless she is working Saturday night, in which case I'll let her sleep in Sat and I still get up with the kids on Sun).

On those weekends where I get more sleep though, I'll often feel sluggish later on in the day and feel like napping. Maybe it's because a my sleep cycle is off, or maybe because I don't drink as much tea/coffee at home, who knows.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:59 PM   #40
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27
Sleep cycles vary among individuals. Some individuals have a 90 minute sleep cycle, some have a sleep cycle that is as long as 2 and a half hours. A 3 hours sleep cycle is very rare. I actually had a night time EEG done while an intern just to help me plan my sleep schedule. My sleep cycle is about 100 minutes long. So, I try to sleep either 6 hours and 40 minutes or 8 hours and 20 minutes. However, when I'm on call my sleep cycle gets all messed up. I was up 34 hours straight on Monday, slept 10 hours Tuesday, up 38 hours straight on Weds then slept 3-9PM on Thursday and then 1 to 7AM. I still feel like crap. Hoping to get my sleep back on track this weekend.
i love the fact that we have laws that mandate crw rest for airline pilots and crew and laws regulating how much driving a trucker can do (hi, Cringer), yet no such laws exist for doctors and physicians.

oh yeah...

sleep.. it varies.. typically it seems to be in the 5-7 category during the week since i have trouble falling asleep.. on the weeknds usually in the 10+ category. If sick, then i'll sleep upwards of 12 hours at a time...

Last edited by finkenst : 03-11-2005 at 09:00 PM.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:03 PM   #41
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm, even though I don't get much sleep, I certainly don't have problems fallnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old 03-11-2005, 09:15 PM   #42
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

When I was at GT, I would do 4-5 hours during the week (11pm hockey practice followed by 8am class...), and then at times 12-14 hours on weekends. Really not all that healthy at all.

Edit: I remember distinctly some days where I'd wake up, knock on my buddy's door, he had just woken up, see if he wants to go eat, and then when we get to the dining hall, watch the 4pm football game.

Since @ RPI, though, and having a couple of jobs, I am much better. Probably 6-7 hours on average during the week, and then 7-9 on weekends. Much, much more steady.

Last edited by RPI-Fan : 03-11-2005 at 09:16 PM.
RPI-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:39 PM   #43
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by finkenst
i love the fact that we have laws that mandate crw rest for airline pilots and crew and laws regulating how much driving a trucker can do (hi, Cringer), yet no such laws exist for doctors and physicians.

oh yeah...

sleep.. it varies.. typically it seems to be in the 5-7 category during the week since i have trouble falling asleep.. on the weeknds usually in the 10+ category. If sick, then i'll sleep upwards of 12 hours at a time...

There are actually new regulations that say we are only supposed to work 80 hours/week averaged over a 4 week period and we aren't supposed to work more than 24 hours in a row (or maybe it is 30?) In any case, those regulations are slow in getting phased in everywhere. I think the single biggest benefit of my new job in July that I'm looking forward to is no more call. I can't wait to just be working a 7-5 day and always getting a good night sleep if I want it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 09:55 PM   #44
21C
College Prospect

After I started this thread, I started wondering what is the average number of hours slept these days. I remember hearing/reading that it was something like 8 for an adult and 10 for a kid - then again these might have been "suggested" hours of sleep.

I did a quick Google search and found an unscientific internet poll. By the sounds of things, it seems to be close to what we're getting here.
http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=308

This was an interesting article which suggested that 8.1 was the average but it varied from 6-10 depending on the individual.
http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshe...noughsleep.htm
Old 03-11-2005, 10:18 PM   #45
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'm at 6 hours. 12:00-6:00.

Tired as hell in the morning though, oughta go to bed earlier.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:23 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21c
After I started this thread, I started wondering what is the average number of hours slept these days. I remember hearing/reading that it was something like 8 for an adult and 10 for a kid - then again these might have been "suggested" hours of sleep.

I did a quick Google search and found an unscientific internet poll. By the sounds of things, it seems to be close to what we're getting here.
http://www.macpolls.com/?poll_id=308

This was an interesting article which suggested that 8.1 was the average but it varied from 6-10 depending on the individual.
http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/womenshe...noughsleep.htm

Or there's the unscientific poll from when this topic came up last time.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ead.php?t=6347

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 11:32 PM   #47
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

4-6 weekday, probably the same plus a 1-2 hour nap on Saturday/Sunday
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 12:00 AM   #48
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Or there's the unscientific poll from when this topic came up last time.

http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ead.php?t=6347

SI
Where were you when I was wondering if this idea had come up before?

I know, I know . . . I should have done a search first.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:21 AM   #49
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Around 5-6 most nights I'd guess - incidentally very reassuring to see I'm far from alone on not needing sleep
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 08:30 AM   #50
jetpunk2000
Waterboy Forever

For me it depends on when I fall asleep. I'm up everyday between 6:30 and 7:30, so I normally get between 5 and 7.
jetpunk2000 is offline   Reply With Quote