Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-18-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Assembling a Survival Kit

so, I don't want to go all militia on y'all, but I've been putting some thought into putting together a small emergency/survival kit. You know, for like if we get snowed in without power for a couple of days, or if there's a nuclear holocaust or something like that.

I'm not building a bomb shelter, but I was thinking of getting some water and canned goods and stuff and put them in a designated shelf in the basement. and I want to do this cheaply, of course, since I never, ever, ever will need to use it.

so what do you guys and gals think I would need?

Draft Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 09:58 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

Include a can opener.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:00 AM   #3
Barkeep49
Coordinator

We keep a handcrank radio around (it also takes batteries).
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
QuikSand
lolzcat

Seriously, at my local Costco they have been selling a kit like this pretty cheaply - has all the obvious non-food items you'd need including light medical aids. Something like that might be worth doing for peace of mind if nothing else, plus it would be in a nice little case and would therefore look a little less creepy than having a shelf full of cotton balls.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Is it even possible to be snowed in for days? I mean we've had about as much snow as you could imagine at times and you could still get around.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:12 AM   #6
GreenMonster
High School Varsity

Canned Goods... The new way is Army MRE's...
GreenMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:13 AM   #7
JeeberD
General Manager

I've been snowed in at my parents house before. There was four feet of snow on the ground and we couldn't get past the driveway for three or four days until the snow plow finally made it to their street...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO

Last edited by JeeberD : 10-18-2005 at 10:14 AM.
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #8
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Got snowed in at my parents house before. There was four feet of snow on the ground and we couldn't get past the driveway for three or four days...

I guess I amend my comment to "is it possible to get snowed in for 3 days if you live anywhere near civilization."
Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #9
JeeberD
General Manager

This was in a suburb just south of Denver, kid.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #10
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
This was in a suburb just south of Denver, kid.

I still can't see 3 days. Although I can't say I've been a part of a storm dropping 4 feet. 3 feet yes and it took maybe a day. I guess that extra foot is a bitch.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Include a can opener.

A "manual" can-opener, not one of those fancy electric ones.

A stove / grill that doesn't require an external fuel source. Our gas grill works well, or a camp stove would work. Better to eat hot Chef Boyardee instead of cold Chef Boyardee.

Head to your local warehouse club and buy bottled water and canned food.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #12
KevinNU7
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
I still can't see 3 days. Although I can't say I've been a part of a storm dropping 4 feet. 3 feet yes and it took maybe a day. I guess that extra foot is a bitch.
Where do you live?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #13
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNU7
Where do you live?

Nashua, NH.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 AM   #14
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I guess I amend my comment to "is it possible to get snowed in for 3 days if you live anywhere near civilization."

Yes. If you live, say, in the middle of North Carolina where you never get more than a couple of inches of snow maybe twice a year, so they don't have a lot of plow equipment as it's cheaper to just shut down for a day twice a year, and then you get 20 or more inches in one big dump (with it starting as a half-inch or so of ice, which of course got nicely compacted by all the snow on top of it), plus it stays cold for a couple more days so melting takes a bit.

It was day 3 before I was able to drive to the Vet to get a med for our dog, and that was dicey.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #15
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
Yes. If you live, say, in the middle of North Carolina where you never get more than a couple of inches of snow maybe twice a year, so they don't have a lot of plow equipment as it's cheaper to just shut down for a day twice a year, and then you get 20 or more inches in one big dump (with it starting as a half-inch or so of ice, which of course got nicely compacted by all the snow on top of it), plus it stays cold for a couple more days so melting takes a bit.

It was day 3 before I was able to drive to the Vet to get a med for our dog, and that was dicey.

How did you make it through without a survival kit?
Old 10-18-2005, 10:28 AM   #16
vtbub
College Starter

It's certainly possible to get snowed in under the right conditions up here. The longer the snowfall, the higher the likelihood.

Portable scanner. To answer DD's question.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 AM   #17
pennywisesb
College Benchwarmer

A gallon of water, per person, per day. Everything else that people have said seems really good too. I would plan to have enough food for up to 3 days without access to additional food sources.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #18
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack
A "manual" can-opener, not one of those fancy electric ones.

To save space, just keep a P-38 handy...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 11:27 AM   #19
WSUCougar
Rider Of Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
To save space, just keep a P-38 handy...
I guess, for air support against looters.

Old 10-18-2005, 11:38 AM   #20
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
How did you make it through without a survival kit?

Actually, having moved here from Florida, we keep a couple of days worth of canned food and water on hand all the time

Besides, in this case we actually had power, so cooking and water weren't an issue. We've had an ice storm knock out power for most of the day (some people not too far away were out for a week or more), and we've had a hurricane knock out power for most of a day. I'm lucky enough to live near a major transmission line (but not too close), so we're among the early ones to get power back as they need to restore our power to get to all the others.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:59 AM   #21
hukarez
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSUCougar
I guess, for air support against looters.

It's 1942 and 1943 all over again!
Filipino Martial Arts Digest
tweet tweet twitter
hukarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 PM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
Seriously, at my local Costco they have been selling a kit like this pretty cheaply - has all the obvious non-food items you'd need including light medical aids. Something like that might be worth doing for peace of mind if nothing else, plus it would be in a nice little case and would therefore look a little less creepy than having a shelf full of cotton balls.

that's actually a nice idea. I don't have a Costco or anything like it near here, but I think I'll check that out next time I'm in the big city.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:06 PM   #23
QuikSand
lolzcat

Here's an Amazonlink to some products that try to do this sort of thing in an organized way. The related products include things like supplements and so forth...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...83144?v=glance
Old 10-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #24
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Asprin?

And isn't the P-38 the military designation for a can opener?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:19 PM   #25
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Asprin?

And isn't the P-38 the military designation for a can opener?

Yes.. I just left that out to allow for the requisite plane or pistol jokes. I wasn't disappointed.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 10-18-2005, 12:26 PM   #26
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Howabout a week's worth of perscriptions? You'd hate to run out if something happens.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:38 PM   #27
Drake
assmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Howabout a week's worth of perscriptions? You'd hate to run out if something happens.

Most Rx's would go bad (the meds, not necessarily the script) in about six months. It's a good idea, but keeping the meds fresh would be a pain in the ass.

For DD: Shotgun and shells. Worse comes to worst, you can always shoot and eat the family.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #28
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Is it even possible to be snowed in for days? I mean we've had about as much snow as you could imagine at times and you could still get around.

Snowed in maybe, but you can definitely be iced in. There have been a couple of ice storms in Memphis during my 20 years here that you couldn't get around for days.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #29
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
Snowed in maybe, but you can definitely be iced in. There have been a couple of ice storms in Memphis during my 20 years here that you couldn't get around for days.

wussies
Old 10-18-2005, 12:52 PM   #30
Antmeister
Pro Starter

Condoms and Twinkies.

Since you won't be using the bomb shelter all that much, I know you guys will probably use it as a late night getaway.

And Twinkies last forever.
Antmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:35 PM   #31
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Do MRE's have a long shelf life? I would that that canned food is only good for a few years at most, so you would need to refresh your supplies every few years..

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 04:54 PM   #32
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog
Do MRE's have a long shelf life? I would that that canned food is only good for a few years at most, so you would need to refresh your supplies every few years..

Stored in a cool environment (60-70 degrees), you can expect 5+ years. (I've heard up to 10). Granted, I think shelf life of an MRE is subjective.. I think it is based on 'does it still taste good?' rather than is it spoiled.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:21 PM   #33
wishbone
High School JV

Any emergency kit should include basic food, water and some shelter for 3 days. I would keep it in a duffle bag or something in your basement in case your emergency forces you to leave the house. Shelter could be a pup tent, a giant tarp and rope, just something that can get you out of the elements for a little bit. I would also try to have some old clothes with it just in case. I have a Boy Scout handbook in mine because it has a lot of basic first aid, sanitation and safety information as well as the "outdoorsy" stuff.

A couple of resources:
www.beprepared.com
www.providentliving.com
http://www.redcross.org/services/pre...,0_91_,00.html
wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 05:26 PM   #34
jamesUMD
High School JV

Baby Wipes. Trust Me.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:06 PM   #35
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn
Red-Headed Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake
Most Rx's would go bad (the meds, not necessarily the script) in about six months. It's a good idea, but keeping the meds fresh would be a pain in the ass.

We have a kit that includes our perscriptions. We just make a point to check our kits on our birthdays (they're 6 months apart). Kinda like checking your smoke detector.

DD - howabout a toy or a teddy bear for your daughter? If something were to happen, it might be nice to give her something to get her mind off the situation. I think I'm going to add a football or something for our little guy the next time we check the kits.
Farrah Whitworth-Rahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:09 PM   #36
tategter
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang
Stored in a cool environment (60-70 degrees), you can expect 5+ years. (I've heard up to 10). Granted, I think shelf life of an MRE is subjective.. I think it is based on 'does it still taste good?' rather than is it spoiled.

MRE's only taste good when you are starving, so stick with the 10 year estimate.

DD, living on the gulf coast I can tell you all of the suggestions above are good ones. Only things I would add would be a board game or two, oil lamps, aspirin, instant coffee if you drink it, and, as mentioned above, condoms (we had a major baby boom around here about 9 months after Hurricane Ivan).
tategter is offline   Reply With Quote