Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-20-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

ESPN will have a third round of layoffs

ESPN layoffs will slash $80 million in salaries and other costs, sources say | Other Sports | Sporting News

Quote:
ESPN is poised to slash an estimated $80 million in salaries and other costs in coming weeks, sources tell Sporting News.

The third round of layoffs in two years at the Disney-owned sports network is expected to come down after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. Sporting News broke the news that ESPN planned to lay off up to 60 people in late November and early December. Richard Deitsch of Sports Illustrated followed up with a report that said 100 positions could be impacted. ESPN declined to comment Monday.

This is a harsh time of year to do that...

Quote:
ESPN lost a whopping $1 billion in affiliate revenue after dropping 13 million subscribers in just six years, according to the SportsBusiness Journal. Sports insiders agree ESPN overpaid for the NFL's "Monday Night Football" ($1.9 billion annually) and the NBA ($1.4 billion a year). During 2016, ESPN's prime-time viewership fell 19 percent, according to the SBJ. Rather than driving Disney's profits, ESPN has been dragging them down, spooking Wall Street analysts.

That's going to be huge for the future of sports in this country. What's going to happen when all the crazy TV money dries up?

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #2
Edward64
Head Coach

If they haven't already, they should fix their website and all the annoying pop-ups etc. Maybe they'll get more foot traffic to help some.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #3
QuikSand
lolzcat

This is going to completely revolutionize how I don't watch ESPN.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #4
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Maybe by then the leagues will have figured out how to monetize streaming/online sources.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:14 PM   #5
korme
Go Reds

This is news today? I forget who Simmons had on last week or the week prior, maybe Bryan Curtis - they were talking about how it was coming again, and the reason ESPN does it at this time of year typically is because their financial year ends at the end of October or November.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #6
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Maybe by then the leagues will have figured out how to monetize streaming/online sources.

It's not going to net them nearly as much as these deals did.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I think the timing of this news now is really just a Gruden to Tennessee rumor. Less money for Monday Night package means less money for Gruden means he's going to Tennessee!

I watch ESPN for live sports and that's it. All of my game updates come from phone apps and I have never watched pregame shows of any kind. Sportscenter and the like is unnecessary with twitter and phone apps giving me all of the scores, stats and video I need.

As far as ESPN.com, I haven't been to that site in several years. Used to be my unofficial home page, now I have no reason to visit.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 11-20-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If they haven't already, they should fix their website and all the annoying pop-ups etc. Maybe they'll get more foot traffic to help some.

That's why they make adblockers. There's simply no reason to be seeing popups in 2017.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:38 PM   #9
Ksyrup

ESPN is in a tough spot - for the bread-and-butter sports fan, on-air personalities are less important, not more. They've alienated the people who wanted them to focus more on the sports by trying to turn SC and other shows into daytime TV in hopes of drawing the casual fan, and they aren't getting either group to watch.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #10
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
This is news today? I forget who Simmons had on last week or the week prior, maybe Bryan Curtis - they were talking about how it was coming again, and the reason ESPN does it at this time of year typically is because their financial year ends at the end of October or November.

Think Deitsch reported it in early November.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #11
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That's why they make adblockers. There's simply no reason to be seeing popups in 2017.

My favourite thing is when a website gives me the "Please disable your ad blocker" message, and won't let me access their content until I do. Best way to get me to never visit your site, ever.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #12
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Yep. What a terrible product they put out.

I only watch live sports on the station. And, really, only football. Though I may try and catch more college basketball.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
ESPN is in a tough spot - for the bread-and-butter sports fan, on-air personalities are less important, not more. They've alienated the people who wanted them to focus more on the sports by trying to turn SC and other shows into daytime TV in hopes of drawing the casual fan, and they aren't getting either group to watch.

Though for bread-and-butter sports fans, there is no reason to watch sports channels aside from live sports. You want in depth analysis? Plenty of it on the web. With the ability to be far more focused and interactive than on TV. I remember when the "bottom line" was such an amazing revelation... now I just fire up theScore app.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Though for bread-and-butter sports fans, there is no reason to watch sports channels aside from live sports. You want in depth analysis? Plenty of it on the web. With the ability to be far more focused and interactive than on TV. I remember when the "bottom line" was such an amazing revelation... now I just fire up theScore app.

Pretty much
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:24 PM   #15
Logan
Head Coach

Check out ESPN's first attempt at bringing the Sportscenter brand to Snapchat to see how they just don't get it.

Their plans/strategies come across as a bunch of mostly old white guys thinking about how they can "capture the millennials". But the people who actually succeed in reaching that group are the ones who are just naturally entertaining/funny to that group.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #16
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

adblockers are not a 100% for me. There are some websites that bypass them.

What is the adblocker you are using?
Old 11-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #17
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
adblockers are not a 100% for me. There are some websites that bypass them.

What is the adblocker you are using?
\

I run double, both AdBlockPlus and uBlock Origin. I literally haven't seen a popup on that site in, like, years. Element Hiding Helper add-on for ABP may be helping with that somewhat (tho I don't think so), anything I don't like, I zap the hell out of until it goes away.
Old 11-20-2017, 04:55 PM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Check out ESPN's first attempt at bringing the Sportscenter brand to Snapchat to see how they just don't get it.

Their plans/strategies come across as a bunch of mostly old white guys thinking about how they can "capture the millennials". But the people who actually succeed in reaching that group are the ones who are just naturally entertaining/funny to that group.

I mean that's like every body right now. It's going to be interesting to see how more traditional sports outlets capture the folks that are more likely to look for ways to get content on demand and in more bite-sized ways and less likely to care for advertisements, especially as they get older and become part of the high in demand demographic.
Old 11-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #19
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
\

I run double, both AdBlockPlus and uBlock Origin. I literally haven't seen a popup on that site in, like, years. Element Hiding Helper add-on for ABP may be helping with that somewhat (tho I don't think so), anything I don't like, I zap the hell out of until it goes away.

Can you go to this page and see if anything autoplays in your config? I had AdBlockPlus and it does not stop it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/20/ma...anthem-protest
Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Quote:

Yep. Score app user here too. The widget is awesome. Between that and the MLB At Bat app for more detailed MLB game following that's free with the Extra Innings subscription, I don't need websites. News I get on Twitter or notifications from Score.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:02 PM   #21
Ksyrup

I just got an ESPN survey request emailed to me.

First question was about how many times I watched ESPN in the past week, read ESPN the Mag, visited .com, etc. 7, 0, 0, 0, 0...
Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 PM   #22
Ksyrup

Interesting... this survey is very much related to the discussion in this thread. Question about what sports content you consume frequently - live, funny memes, highlights, talk shows, pre/post game, etc.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:15 PM   #23
cuervo72
Head Coach

Meanwhile, ESPN is apparently advertising a college BB tourney in honor of Phil Knight's 80th birthday. Yeah, no telling why the sports world's going to shit.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can you go to this page and see if anything autoplays in your config? I had AdBlockPlus and it does not stop it.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/20/ma...anthem-protest

Yes, the video unfortunately autoplays ... but from the page itself, not as a pop-up.

Autoplays are indeed a tool of the freakin' debbil and a plague upon humanity.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:38 PM   #25
molson
General Manager

Maybe he wants an easier schedule or he just had a falling out with Mike Golic, but I felt bad for Mike Greenberg when I read he was moving to daytime show that has "a cast that's expected to include three or four regulars such as Michelle Beadle, Jalen Rose and Booger McFarland, as well as a rotating lineup of athletes, celebrities and ESPN talent."

Oh Mike.

I haven't developed the ESPN hate others have and still use ESPN.com as my go-to sports site, but even as a white guy pushing 40, there's not much left on ESPN that's targeted towards my tastes. Twitter has never really filled the gap for me for news and highlights, I'd still love a tightly produced show that does all the work for me (I still like PTI), but I don't want in depth analysis or too many opinions. I want the Berman/Jackson NFL Prime Time show. I don't get the same connection to the league that I got with that show that I get with memes and the odd viral highlight. That show told stories about the games in a way that IMO, social media can't really replicate.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #26
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Yes, the video unfortunately autoplays ... but from the page itself, not as a pop-up.

Autoplays are indeed a tool of the freakin' debbil and a plague upon humanity.

Natural evolution of pop-ups. I wish there was a way that we could like on a "disklike" and have them send to their email box.

Google is supposedly coming up with a standard and I'm all for it.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:15 PM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

They still have too many retired jocks. Why do I need a cut-in from Marcellus Wiley presenting a play of the week??
Old 11-21-2017, 07:40 AM   #28
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Maybe he wants an easier schedule or he just had a falling out with Mike Golic, but I felt bad for Mike Greenberg when I read he was moving to daytime show that has "a cast that's expected to include three or four regulars such as Michelle Beadle, Jalen Rose and Booger McFarland, as well as a rotating lineup of athletes, celebrities and ESPN talent."

Oh Mike.

This was his call. He's making like $6.5 million on his new deal which included this show.

So maybe feel bad for him that he made a terrible choice to try and take on the network morning shows and the politics-heavy cable morning shows with a show that is pretty much a guarantee to flop, but he'll be well compensated for his decision.

Last edited by Logan : 11-21-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #29
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
I want the Berman/Jackson NFL Prime Time show. I don't get the same connection to the league that I got with that show that I get with memes and the odd viral highlight. That show told stories about the games in a way that IMO, social media can't really replicate.

Yep. NFL Primetime was a great show.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #30
QuikSand
lolzcat

Nobody should feel bad for Mike Greenberg. Guy has massively outkicked his coverage, and had a crazy good run given what he actually brought to the table.

Last edited by QuikSand : 11-21-2017 at 07:45 AM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #31
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I'd still love a tightly produced show that does all the work for me (I still like PTI), but I don't want in depth analysis or too many opinions. I want the Berman/Jackson NFL Prime Time show. I don't get the same connection to the league that I got with that show that I get with memes and the odd viral highlight. That show told stories about the games in a way that IMO, social media can't really replicate.

I find podcasts fill in this gap pretty nicely. I listen to the MMQB 10 Things every week and the Ringer NFL show or Bill Barnwell some weeks depending on time. That gives me a sense of the overall league with some decent insight and production value.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:35 AM   #32
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Nobody should feel bad for Mike Greenberg. Guy has massively outkicked his coverage, and had a crazy good run given what he actually brought to the table.

concur.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #33
pbot
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Possibly the most accurate statement ever posted on the internet.
pbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:11 PM   #34
korme
Go Reds

Quote:

Agreed. Mike & Mike was a four hour puff piece every day
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 12:28 PM   #35
cuervo72
Head Coach

Four hour Subway commercial.
Old 11-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Agreed. Mike & Mike was a four hour puff piece every day

Well, if you put it into the context of being the ESPN version of Today or Good Morning America then that's really pretty much the goal for it.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:45 PM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Well, if you put it into the context of being the ESPN version of Today or Good Morning America then that's really pretty much the goal for it.

This.

They were pretty much what people said they wanted from ESPN. Other than the most rarest of occasion, they stuck to sports and rarely said anything that might be considered offensive to any group.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 03:45 PM   #38
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:

+1. And snicker ...
Old 11-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #39
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
That's going to be huge for the future of sports in this country. What's going to happen when all the crazy TV money dries up?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
This'll also be affected heavily by what happens with net neutrality in the coming years. Will popular opinion be enough to keep Congress/the FCC from allowing data restrictions? (Unlikely) Will Alphabet/Amazon/whomever create enough of a fiber network outside the cable companies control to make that irrelevant? (Possible, at least in urban areas, but likely not right away.) Or will data providers be able to start limiting what you have access to - because that would likely be a boon for ESPN & sports leagues.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:44 AM   #40
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Matthew berry has to be one of them right? his contract is huge and he's quite literally just a shill for himself. He adds 0 value to espn's fantasy football.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:05 PM   #41
Ksyrup

Herm Edwards has to be one, otherwise I don't understand why he would be interviewing for the ASU job. And yeah I know his former agent is now AD. Even with that, it doesn't make much sense.
Old 11-29-2017, 01:08 PM   #42
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Sounds like 150 people will be let go. It's not going to be people like Stephen A Smith, Jemele Hill, Matthew Berry or other personalities they have spent millions promoting. It will mostly be writers, back end players and people working in areas they don't want to focus as much in (ie, baseball and hockey). Here's a quote from Skipper on the layoffs:

Quote:
The majority of the jobs eliminated are in studio production, digital content, and technology and they generally reflect decisions to do less in certain instances and re-direct resources.
So get ready for outcries of "how could they get rid of hockey/baseball/beat writer X and keep Stephen A/Jemele/Matthew Berry?!"

Last edited by Arles : 11-29-2017 at 01:09 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #43
Ksyrup

My general outcry is simply, "Why do they keep Stephen A/Jemele/Matthew Berry?" Doesn't have anything to do with who might be getting let go instead!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:34 PM   #44
Arles
Grey Dog Software

The answer is they've put too much money into promoting them and building them into something bigger than they are to pull the plug. The whole fantasy industry cracks me up. These fantasy "experts" enter 30-40 leagues a year, win 1-2 and tell us how great they are. It's really just entertainment, none of them are any better than your average, somewhat informed fantasy players.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:01 PM   #45
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post
Matthew berry has to be one of them right? his contract is huge and he's quite literally just a shill for himself. He adds 0 value to espn's fantasy football.

The fantasy side actually makes the company some good money from what I remember. Doubt he's pulling huge money either.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:49 PM   #46
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragone View Post

How dare you mock the writer of Crocodile Dundee 3 like that
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #47
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I used to watch ESPN a lot years ago, but unless it's a sporting event I'm interested in, I cannot stomach any of the talk shows, including sports center.

Heck, I'd rather look at the scores via my dish network sports app then have to watch ESPN.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:01 AM   #48
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
The fantasy side actually makes the company some good money from what I remember. Doubt he's pulling huge money either.

I think he actually does make a very big number but beyond that, kind of like the SAS stuff, he drives content into many different areas that likely justifies the price. I don't watch it myself, so maybe this is a bit outdated, but they have fantasy-dedicated shows (which I'm sure get replayed a decent amount), they pull him into the (old) Mike and Mike type stuff, drives a ton of traffic to the actual fantasy product and the website, a lot of Twitter interaction, gets pulled into Countdown for last minute updates, etc.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:15 AM   #49
bhlloy
Coordinator

Berry really is the fantasy version of the ESPN of the last 10 years, so it’s not surprising they rate him so highly. Smug, plenty of in jokes and generally thinking he’s way more down with pop culture than he is and very little of substance or value or depth.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #50
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Berry really is the fantasy version of the ESPN of the last 10 years, so it’s not surprising they rate him so highly. Smug, plenty of in jokes and generally thinking he’s way more down with pop culture than he is and very little of substance or value or depth.

I imagine his analysis got way worse after they laid off a ton of the support staff that does research for him.
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote