Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-11-2005, 10:05 PM   #1
JW
College Prospect

Empty chicken sex mystery solved

I figured some of you were eagerly awaiting this scientific breakthrough. Link and story.

Mystery of Empty Chicken Sex Solved

Many animals copulate now and then without the delivery of semen. The act is mysterious, because animal sex is thought to be driven solely by the need to reproduce.

New research suggests there's a deeper reason. Males, it seems, are insuring their bets by encouraging fidelity and thwarting biology.

Tommaso Pizzari at the University of Oxford and his colleagues studied feral chickens, which are known to be rather promiscuous. The hens aren't chicken when it comes to mating with several roosters.

For a male, that means sperm competition. If your favorite hen hangs out with several roosters, how do you know if you're the father?

Researchers outfitted one group of hens with a plastic device that prevented the fertilization of eggs. The other group had unprotected sex. Scientists watched their behavior on subsequent days.

Regardless of whether semen get in, mounting alone "drastically inhibits the propensity of a hen to mate with a new rooster," the scientists conclude. Further, when hens do mate again within four days in unprotected fashion, fewer sperm reach their goal, as some natural mechanism in the hen thwarts their travels.

Roosters were noted mounting hens again after their initial encounter, which is assumed to have been a useful tactic in preventing other males from horning in on their efforts.

The study is detailed in the July 12 issue of the journal Current Biology.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/myster...Z1BHNlYwMxNzAw

JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sweet. now my life is complete!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:06 PM   #3
Loren
High School JV

feral chickens... is their a gang of chickens running wild somewhere? i know roosters can be pretty aggressive but chickens? to the point that they're considered feral AND ho's...thats just kinda creepy...
P.S. who the HELL allowed RobZombie to make another movie, i havent recovered from the last one
Old 07-11-2005, 11:15 PM   #4
JW
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
feral chickens... is their a gang of chickens running wild somewhere? i know roosters can be pretty aggressive but chickens? to the point that they're considered feral AND ho's...thats just kinda creepy...
P.S. who the HELL allowed RobZombie to make another movie, i havent recovered from the last one

Actually I think the lesson of this story is pretty simple: The hens are just looking for roosters who can satisfy them, i.e.,

Regardless of whether semen get in, mounting alone "drastically inhibits the propensity of a hen to mate with a new rooster," the scientists conclude. Further, when hens do mate again within four days in unprotected fashion, fewer sperm reach their goal, as some natural mechanism in the hen thwarts their travels.

Roosters were noted mounting hens again after their initial encounter, which is assumed to have been a useful tactic in preventing other males from horning in on their efforts.
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:22 PM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

I still tend to search out and mount my first girlfriend from time to time, just so nobody else moves in.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:26 PM   #6
Loren
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
I still tend to search out and mount my first girlfriend from time to time, just so nobody else moves in.

you better pee on her too..
Old 07-11-2005, 11:27 PM   #7
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
you better pee on her too..

Thats a special thing reserved for dirty girls. I find it alot easier to ask chicks to pee on me than to ask them to let me pee on them, that takes a solid foundation.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:33 PM   #8
Loren
High School JV

I prefer shaving my initials in a guys back hair damn the day he finds someone with LBD as their intials too
Old 07-11-2005, 11:42 PM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ok, i read initials as genitals, this is going too far.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Ok, i read initials as genitals, this is going too far.

I read it the same way. Creepy...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote