Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #1
molson
General Manager

Ted Stevens and ex-NASA chief in Alaska plane crash

It looks like some survivors, some fatalties.

That's the scariest kind of plane crash, I think - not where everyone is instantly killed, but when there's wreckage, injuries, a remote location where rescue is difficult. Chaos.

Edit: Stevens has survived one plane crash before.

Last edited by molson : 08-10-2010 at 10:32 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 AM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBollea View Post
Jeez. Between Stevens previous plane crash, that one former Senator from Alaska who's name I'm blanking on dying in a plane crash, Paul Wellstone, and former Senator Heinz of PA, your odds of getting in a plane crash seems to go way up if you're elected to the Senate.

I'm guessing the other Alaska reference here is to Rep Nick Begich (father of current Sen Mark Begich) killed back in 1972.

According to this link, there was also a Sen. from MN killed in 1940 crash

Politicians and Plane Crashes | Foxnews.com
Old 08-10-2010, 11:25 AM   #3
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Nine people on a DeHavilland Otter. This has all of the ear marks of stupidity. I think the plane has 10 seats, but that is way close to what that plane can tolerate. I'd hate that to be the case, but all too often in these cases, it isn't pilot error in flight or a mechanical failure, but the pilot's error in judgment while loading the aircraft or deciding to take off.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Nine people on a DeHavilland Otter. This has all of the ear marks of stupidity. I think the plane has 10 seats, but that is way close to what that plane can tolerate. I'd hate that to be the case, but all too often in these cases, it isn't pilot error in flight or a mechanical failure, but the pilot's error in judgment while loading the aircraft or deciding to take off.

An Otter has seating for 10 or 11, plus the pilots, so with 9 total on board they were well inside the capacity ratings.

edit: However, if there was some really heavy cargo, that would be an issue.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 08-10-2010 at 11:46 AM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Kodos
Resident Alien

You will never get me on a small plane flown by someone who isn't a professional airline pilot. Those are the ones that usually crash.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
An Otter has seating for 10 or 11, plus the pilots, so with 9 total on board they were well inside the capacity ratings.

edit: However, if there was some really heavy cargo, that would be an issue.

On a relatively small plane, even a workhorse like the Otter, the seating capacity is only part of the equation. The center of gravity is a huge issue. Who sits where is a critical consideration. Also people and seats aren't equivalent. Not everyone weights 150 lbs.

Also, it wouldn't have to be really heavy cargo to throw this off. It could be basic luggage that would be too much.

I'm not declaring this the cause, just saying that all too often in these cases, we're reading about the flight because of something the pilot probably knew better about before he or she took off.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:10 PM   #7
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
On a relatively small plane, even a workhorse like the Otter, the seating capacity is only part of the equation. The center of gravity is a huge issue. Who sits where is a critical consideration. Also people and seats aren't equivalent. Not everyone weights 150 lbs.

Also, it wouldn't have to be really heavy cargo to throw this off. It could be basic luggage that would be too much.

I'm not declaring this the cause, just saying that all too often in these cases, we're reading about the flight because of something the pilot probably knew better about before he or she took off.

Oh, I'm very familiar with all of that. Our airline used to fly Piper Navajo Chieftains, and we'd have to get the weights of each passenger and the cargo for the pilots to plot out the weight and balance chart.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Our airline used to fly Piper Navajo Chieftains, and we'd have to get the weights of each passenger and the cargo for the pilots to plot out the weight and balance chart.

Comic James Gregory was asked how much he weighed when flying, was told that they needed to know so they could figure out how much gas to put on the plane, "I weigh 400 pounds you idiot ... fill it UP! ... I'm not gonna die because some fat woman lied about her weight"
Old 08-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #9
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Comic James Gregory was asked how much he weighed when flying, was told that they needed to know so they could figure out how much gas to put on the plane, "I weigh 400 pounds you idiot ... fill it UP! ... I'm not gonna die because some fat woman lied about her weight"

THAT, is funny.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Ted Stevens reported to have passed according to the AP

Former Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens dies in plane crash - Yahoo! News

Quote:
JUNEAU, Alaska – A plane carrying former Sen. Ted Stevens and eight others crashed in remote southwest Alaska, killing the longtime Republican lawmaker and four other people, authorities said Tuesday.
Ex-NASA chief Sean O'Keefe was also believed to be aboard, but it was unclear whether he was among the dead.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:19 PM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

I believe he was pushing 90, so it probably would have been a surprise for him to have survived.

I guess politicians fly all the time, but it really seems like they are involved in crashes more often than you would think possible. Mel Carnahan (who was elected to the senate after dying, with his term carried out by his wife) was also lost in a crash and Teddy Kennedy and Birch Bayh both survived a crash.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:45 PM   #12
Tigercat
College Starter

Reports from Baton Rouge (O'Keefe was Chancellor at LSU after leaving NASA, for those who don't know) are that O'Keefe and his son survived the place crash.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I believe he was pushing 90, so it probably would have been a surprise for him to have survived.
Yep - I wasn't expecting him to be among the survivors when the news first came out for this very reason.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Seems to be that this likely wasn't a case of being overweight or load management either. They got lost in the fog and apparently had some radio issues. While trying to gain altitude, they hit the mountainside.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:33 PM   #15
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

I guess politicians fly all the time, but it really seems like they are involved in crashes more often than you would think possible. Mel Carnahan (who was elected to the senate after dying, with his term carried out by his wife) was also lost in a crash and Teddy Kennedy and Birch Bayh both survived a crash.

As did Ric Flair. Not that he's a politician...just saying.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:07 PM   #16
MrBug708
Head Coach

RIP to a former Bruin
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Nah, he would've been sitting in his home waiting for his appeals to go through.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:49 PM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

odds of living to 90 and then dying in a plane crash would seem to suggest that he is an outlier.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #19
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
odds of living to 90 and then dying in a plane crash would seem to suggest that he is an outlier.

Throw in the fact that he had already survived a plane crash, to boot.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Maybe its because I watch way to many spy movies but when I hear a plane crash and a senator I think its something sinister.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 PM   #21
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
You will never get me on a small plane flown by someone who isn't a professional airline pilot. Those are the ones that usually crash.
As someone with 15+ years and almost 8,000 hours flying in Alaska, that might be one of the most ignorant statements I've ever read.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bill Phillips Sr., father of three FBS football players, including Stanford guard Andrew Phillips, was one of five people who died in an Alaskan plane crash that also claimed the life of former former Alaska Senator Ted Stevens.

Phillips also was the father of Indiana freshman tight end Paul Phillips and Virginia sophomore tight end Colter Phillips

Here's a statement from Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh:

"We are struck with deep sadness by the tragic and sudden loss of Bill Phillips. The hearts and prayers of our entire team and staff extend to the Phillips family and the families of those lost in the crash. A man could hardly live a more full life than Bill, whose kindness and friendship touched us all deeply. His legacy lives on through his four sons, four incredible young men he raised."

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, "Andrew's 13-year-old brother, William "Willy" Phillips, survived the crash, as did former NASA chief Sean O'Keefe and his teenage son, Kevin. Three others died in the crash. The elder Phillips had worked for Stevens in Washington."

You can read more on the crash here. And here.

Our thoughts go out Phillips and everyone else touched by this tragedy.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

hxxp://iuhoosiers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/081010aab.html

IU and Hoosier Football Family Mourn Loss of Bill Phillips Sr.

Aug. 10, 2010

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. - The father and brother of Indiana freshman tight end Paul Phillips were among nine passengers aboard a small plane that crashed in the Alaskan wilderness on Monday evening. Phillips' father, Bill Sr., was among five, including former United States Senator Ted Stevens (R-AK), who passed away in the crash, while his brother, Willy, was among the four survivors. IU Football Head Coach Bill Lynch informed the team of the tragedy in a meeting this evening and Paul has left Bloomington to be with his family.

"The thoughts and prayers of the entire Indiana University community are with Paul, his family and everyone touched by this tragedy," Lynch said. "Please be respectful of the family as they deal with this private matter."

Paul Phillips, a native of Darnestown, Md., is in his first year with the Hoosiers after starting for three years at Georgetown Prep. He was a first team all-state selection his senior year. His father played football at Evansville from 1972-76, while his mother, Janet, was a swimmer in college and is a competitive equestrian. His two older brothers, Andrew and Colter, are football players at Stanford University and the University of Virginia, respectively. Andrew is a senior offensive guard and Colter is a sophomore tight end.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #24
SnowMan
High School Varsity

For Pilot in Stevens Crash, Flying Ran in the Family

Quote:
Whatever problem the plane carrying former Senator Ted Stevens encountered before it crashed on Monday night, it was not pilot inexperience. The pilot, Theron A. Smith, known as Terry, was a second-generation bush aviator and a 28-year veteran of Alaska Airlines, where fellow workers voted him a “Legend of Alaska” in 2001. He belonged to a flying family with a history of pioneering and of tragedy.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #25
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowMan View Post
For Pilot in Stevens Crash, Flying Ran in the Family

Whatever problem the plane carrying former Senator Ted Stevens encountered before it crashed on Monday night, it was not pilot inexperience. The pilot, Theron A. Smith, known as Terry, was a second-generation bush aviator and a 28-year veteran of Alaska Airlines, where fellow workers voted him a “Legend of Alaska” in 2001. He belonged to a flying family with a history of pioneering and of tragedy.

Of tragedy?!? As in, his flying family has been a part of a lot of tragic events, like accidents? I don't care how great a pilot he is, I am leaning toward going with the boring, competent pilot without the family history of tragedy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #26
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I'd still bet that flying to wherever they were going was probably still safer than driving.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:28 PM   #27
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Of tragedy?!? As in, his flying family has been a part of a lot of tragic events, like accidents?

Nah, the only other tragedy I see mentioned in the article is the death of his son-in-law last year in an Air National Guard crash. Seems like a poor choice of phrase to me, unless the writer meant to say that now the family has a history of, etc.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #28
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
I'd still bet that flying to wherever they were going was probably still safer than driving.

Considering there are no roads there, I bet you're right!