Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-22-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
MikeVic
Head Coach

Fantasy Football Keeper Decisions

I figure it's time for some leagues to announce their keepers, or close to it... so I wanted to open this thread up to allow people to ask for opinions on keepers.

I have one I'd like to throw out there.

2 keepers, 4 points per throw TD:
-Chris Johnson is a definite.
-Second option can be either Rashard Mendenhall, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Sidney Rice, or Tony Romo.

I somehow finished out of the money in this league, and traded my first round pick for this year so I'm not expecting a super great season, but I think I have two potentially great keepers. For the second choice, I think it's between Mendenhall and Wayne... they seem very even in terms of where they are drafted in leagues right now. I'm not sure about the Steelers' O-line though... and Wayne dropped off last year too.

MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Flasch186
Coordinator

me too but only 1 keeper,

Jamaal Charles or Shonn Greene

Salary keeper league both of these are great via salary but which one to keep?

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
MikeVic
Head Coach

I think Greene has more upside? He looked good last year (blast it for releasing him in another league!!), and the Jets should be decent and running a lot.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
Jamaal Charles or Shonn Greene

Salary keeper league both of these are great via salary but which one to keep?

If you are in a PPR league, I say Charles is the relatively easy choice. Otherwise it is a closer call because I think Greene will have more TDs than Charles just because of the Chiefs signing Jones.

In the end, wait as long as possible before making the choice.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I have one I'd like to throw out there.

2 keepers, 4 points per throw TD:
-Chris Johnson is a definite.
-Second option can be either Rashard Mendenhall, Reggie Wayne, Marques Colston, Sidney Rice, or Tony Romo.

How many RBs are going to be available? If not many, then Mendenhall. I tend to keep decent starting RBs before WRs especially since you won't have a 1st rounder.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 07-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
How many RBs are going to be available? If not many, then Mendenhall. I tend to keep decent starting RBs before WRs especially since you won't have a 1st rounder.

There seem to be RB hoarders in this league.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #7
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
There seem to be RB hoarders in this league.

Definitely Mendenhall then. I'm guessing most people will keep any RB worthwhile and then the 1st round will be mostly RB's going off the board that are worthwhile so if there is no chance you'll get someone at least as good as Mendenhall in the 2nd round, pretty easy choice IMHO.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Ppr league.. .5 per reception

Brandon Marshall
Calvin Johnson
Sidney Rice

Can keep 1..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone in the Wisconsin area looking for a fantasy football keeper league, drop me a line.

As for the last question, I'd give the slight edge to Marshall just because of the what, 3 100+ reception seasons. Although, you could make cases for all 3 for and against.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #10
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anyone in the Wisconsin area looking for a fantasy football keeper league, drop me a line.

As for the last question, I'd give the slight edge to Marshall just because of the what, 3 100+ reception seasons. Although, you could make cases for all 3 for and against.

Those are like magic words to me, but the last thing I need at this point is another damn fantasy league, lol.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #11
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
For the second choice, I think it's between Mendenhall and Wayne...

I'd put Colston over Wayne. Both have great QBs and high powered offenses. But Wayne seems on the decline, while Colston does not.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:01 PM   #12
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
Those are like magic words to me, but the last thing I need at this point is another damn fantasy league, lol.

*L*

Well, if you are curious, I can send details.

You know you're curious.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:13 AM   #13
spleen1015
Coordinator

Looking for a little advice....

The keeper rules for my league make it so that your keepers get slotted as one of your picks in the draft based on where they were picked last year in the draft or as a FA. You are only allowed to keep 1 guy that would be a 1st rounder. If you want to keep 2 guys that would be slotted in the same round, one of them gets slotted in the round before.

I get to keep 2 guys.

1 - Ronnie Brown
1 - Pierre Thomas
2 - Jason Witten
2 - Aaron Rodgers
4 - Donald Driver
5 - Chester Taylor
6 - Matt Schaub
7 - Mason Crosby
8 - Sidney Rice
8 - Brent Celek
8 - Bengals
8 - 49ers
8 - Shonn Greene
8 - Jamaal Charles

I am leaning Shonn Greene and Jamaal Charles since they would be my 7th and 8th picks. Getting those 2 guys so late would be huge. Keeping them means I see them as my top 2 RBs. I debated Sidney Rice, but his injury scares me away from that. I've also thought about Rodgers or Schaub.

I also have the 4th pick in the draft.

Roster is QB, RB, WR, WR, RB/WR, TE, DEF, K

Scored is pretty standard
1 pt for 25 yards passing
4 pts for passing TD
1 pt for 10 yards rushing or receiving
6 pts for rushing or receiving TD
No points taken away for fumbles or INTs

Give me your thoughts fellas!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
MikeVic
Head Coach

You have to keep Rodgers.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #15
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I'd probably go Rodgers and Greene. Greene is a great pick that late, and he looks like he is ready for a great year - and Rodgers is just amazing (no bias, of course ) Right there you have a QB and RB that can start, then you can look at a #1 WR or another #1 RB with your first pick.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I agree with Greene and Charles. I know that the Chiefs got some competition for him, but when he got a chance to play last season, he took advantage. Rodgers is a great QB, but you can pick up another great QB with your high picks.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Greene and Charles with your last two picks is easily your best option.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #18
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

I say Rogers & Greene...

If you do go Greene & Charles I would get another solid RB to be your # 3 back
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
I say Rogers & Greene...

yeah, don't overthink it. these are the best 2 players.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #20
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I'd go with Greene and Charles. Great value for both of them. I'm guessing you can still get a very good player with that 2nd round pick you'll have by not keeping Rodgers.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Also, can you see who the other teams are keeping / releasing? If everyone is holding onto QBs or RBs you can factor that into your decision...but the fact is- Rogers is without question a top 4 fantasy QB next year- and a lot of places have him as the top fantasy QB.

I use fantasy guru a lot, they have Rodgers # 1, and Charles # 15 RB

You'd lose your 2nd round pick, but someone will take him in the 1st round if you let him go.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:09 PM   #22
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

You'd lose your 2nd round pick, but someone will take him in the 1st round if you let him go.
that was my logic. the gap between rodgers and avail. qb's would be pretty wide. the gap between charles and say a beanie wells or chester taylor not as much.
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM   #23
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Jamal Charles as the #15 back?

I guess there are two answers to your question then. In terms of objective value, you might want to go with Green/Rogers.

In terms of subjective opinions about how good these players are, I would still go Green/Charles. I think that Charles is going to be a stud this season, and I would not want to take the chance of missing him when I could have had him for a late round pick.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:37 PM   #24
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Jamal Charles as the #15 back?

I guess there are two answers to your question then. In terms of objective value, you might want to go with Green/Rogers.

In terms of subjective opinions about how good these players are, I would still go Green/Charles. I think that Charles is going to be a stud this season, and I would not want to take the chance of missing him when I could have had him for a late round pick.

Very true, and when I make my own rankings I'm going to move him higher than 15 as well, but not top 10.

A good problem to have...I just took over a dynasty team in a 16 team league, my 2 QBs are Matt Hasslebeck and Alex Smith. My best fantasy RB is Donald Brown, I have some work ahead of me there.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #25
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Also, can you see who the other teams are keeping / releasing? If everyone is holding onto QBs or RBs you can factor that into your decision...but the fact is- Rogers is without question a top 4 fantasy QB next year- and a lot of places have him as the top fantasy QB.

As the commissioner I will be able to see them if I want to. No one else will be able to. So, I'm not going to let that sway my decision.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #26
DanGarion
Coordinator

So I'm about to make my keepers for this year. (5 total)

Here are my locks.

Drew Brees
Chris Johnson
Vernon Davis
Roddy White

Now I still need to figure out my 5th keeper out of those below.

Matthew Stafford
Ronnie Brown
Justin Forsett
Maurice Morris
Kevin Smith
Jerious Norwood
Vincent Jackson
Mike Sims-Walker
Mike Wallace
Kenny Britt

I've narrowed it down to Brown, Sims-Walker, and Wallace... I want to keep Brown because RB is always a tough spot, but I'm hesitant to waste a pick on him. Sims-Walker and Wallace had some good upside... Any last minute advice and insight is appreciated.

Last edited by DanGarion : 08-16-2010 at 12:16 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #27
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
So I'm about to make my keepers for this year. (5 total)

Here are my locks.

Drew Brees
Chris Johnson
Vernon Davis
Roddy White

Do you lose anything if you keep players or is it just a straight keeper league? What type of back do you expect to get with your first pick? I like Wallace going into this year and I've never been a Brown fan... seems like he always gets injured and only has 700 yards rushing.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #28
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Do you lose anything if you keep players or is it just a straight keeper league? What type of back do you expect to get with your first pick? I like Wallace going into this year and I've never been a Brown fan... seems like he always gets injured and only has 700 yards rushing.

Just a straight keeper. I was dead set on Jackson before he decided to get in trouble with the law and fight for a bigger contract, now I consider him a wasted keeper. I'm not a big fan of Brown either. Wallace is intriguing considering he's a full time started with Holmes gone. It's a 10 team league, so at worst I could probably get Brown back with my 1st (I get the 2nd to last pick), not that I would do that.

I went 14-0 last season, and had a heartbreaking loss in the championship game.

Last edited by DanGarion : 08-16-2010 at 12:26 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:33 PM   #29
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Looking for a little advice....

The keeper rules for my league make it so that your keepers get slotted as one of your picks in the draft based on where they were picked last year in the draft or as a FA. You are only allowed to keep 1 guy that would be a 1st rounder. If you want to keep 2 guys that would be slotted in the same round, one of them gets slotted in the round before.

Since you have the 4th pick overall, what do you expect the first 3 to do? Might be worth it to look at their teams. If you think it might be possible to get Rodgers at that pick, might be better to keep Greene and Charles and repick Rodgers in the 1st round... that way, you have 2 RBs and your QB using a 1st a 7th and an 8th. Otherwise, what will you do.. probably draft a RB with the 4th pick and you'll have 2 RBs and a QB for a 1st, 2nd and 7th or 8th. I like the first option better..

Granted, that depends on what the 1st 3 might do.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:42 PM   #30
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Just a straight keeper. I was dead set on Jackson before he decided to get in trouble with the law and fight for a bigger contract, now I consider him a wasted keeper.

I'd go with Wallace then. I'd rather hope that he turns into a nice sleeper pick rather than hoping that Brown stays healthy.

I have V-Jax in my auction keeper league, I'll probably launch him just given his suspension and sitting out.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #31
DataKing
Pro Rookie

TD-heavy league (no PPR, non-TD points only awarded for every 50 yards rushing and receiving, 100 yards passing). 5 keeper points are awarded, with a player costing 1 point for every year he's been on your team. I'm absolutely locked and loaded at WR1 and WR2 with Larry Fitzgerald (1 pt) and Andre Johnson (2 pts). The rest of my viable options are:

Ronnie Brown (2 pts)
Matt Forte (2 pts)
Eli Manning (1 pt)
Vince Young (1 pt)
Shonn Greene (1 pt)
Sidney Rice (1 pt)

Brown and Forte aren't worth 2 pts IMO, so I'm definitely leaning towards keeping two of the last four. Obviously last season I was dominant at WR and failed miserably everywhere else. I've got to shore up my QB and RB positions (Forte was a huge disappointment last year). Manning and Greene seem like the smart choices with Johnson scoring all the TDs in Tennessee and Rice in QB-limbo, but I'm certainly interested in hearing other points of view.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #32
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Since you have the 4th pick overall, what do you expect the first 3 to do? Might be worth it to look at their teams. If you think it might be possible to get Rodgers at that pick, might be better to keep Greene and Charles and repick Rodgers in the 1st round... that way, you have 2 RBs and your QB using a 1st a 7th and an 8th. Otherwise, what will you do.. probably draft a RB with the 4th pick and you'll have 2 RBs and a QB for a 1st, 2nd and 7th or 8th. I like the first option better..

Granted, that depends on what the 1st 3 might do.

Players picked in the 1st and 2nd round every year are not allowed to be keepers. So, the first 3 picks should be Chris Johnson, Peterson, and MJD. Ray Rice should be keeper for the team that has him.

I have already officially picked my keepers and I went with Rodgers and Greene. I am thinking I might take Andre Johnson with my first pick and go best RB in the 3rd round. Charles might still be there. Maybe Pierre Thomas or McCoy.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #33
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
TD-heavy league (no PPR, non-TD points only awarded for every 50 yards rushing and receiving, 100 yards passing). 5 keeper points are awarded, with a player costing 1 point for every year he's been on your team. I'm absolutely locked and loaded at WR1 and WR2 with Larry Fitzgerald (1 pt) and Andre Johnson (2 pts). The rest of my viable options are:

Ronnie Brown (2 pts)
Matt Forte (2 pts)
Eli Manning (1 pt)
Vince Young (1 pt)
Shonn Greene (1 pt)
Sidney Rice (1 pt)

Brown and Forte aren't worth 2 pts IMO, so I'm definitely leaning towards keeping two of the last four. Obviously last season I was dominant at WR and failed miserably everywhere else. I've got to shore up my QB and RB positions (Forte was a huge disappointment last year). Manning and Greene seem like the smart choices with Johnson scoring all the TDs in Tennessee and Rice in QB-limbo, but I'm certainly interested in hearing other points of view.

Unless Rex Ryan is a liar, Greene is going to be the feature back for the Jets. You have to keep him. I don't think Manning is a bad choice either. You are definitely in a good spot, I think.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 08-16-2010 at 02:34 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote