Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-10-2003, 03:38 AM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Calling All You British Blokes...Help Wanted

Heh heh.

I know we have some British-born readers here (andy m, Casterling, the immeasurable Marc Vaughan, anyone else? Calis maybe?), and I may need your guys help.

You see, being born and bred American, I don't speak English the way some of you folks do. You guys have different names for stuff, and your own bit of slang. I'm able to catch up on some of it by reading the sigames community forums, but for the most part, I just don't have a knack for it.

Anyway, I'm about to start a CM4 dynasty, part of which will be coming from the viewpoint of a British football fan. I know the football terminologies for the most part, but I may need your help to pull it off authentic (or at least enough to fool the rest of these Americans here anyway).

So I encourage you to post here or in my dynasty thread in the Dynasty section to give me suggestions on how I can make it sound more authentic from a language use point of view. In particular, slang terms would be helpful (particularly the kinds of names fans would toss out about their most loved--and hated--players) or British nicknames or common terms involving football (not "pitch" or "fixture" which are things I know, but other, more obscure terms).

Just throwing out any number of other British turns of phrase or adages or what not will help, too. If I can use them, I'll throw them in.

Oh, if and in the early parts of my attempts to sound authentic turn out to be way overdone or ridiculous-sounding to your ears, please forgive me.

Thanks.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 07:23 AM   #2
andy m
High School Varsity

make sure that you call hated players "wankers", and if a referee makes a poor decision you should describe it as "a load of old bollocks". when you beat a team you are not as good as, you will be "over the moon", and the opposite is "sick as a parrot".

you could do worse than study the work of ron atkinson: http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Palms/6687/ron.html and http://www.dangerhere.com/ronglish.htm

Old 05-10-2003, 11:19 AM   #3
CAsterling
High School JV

A few that immediately spring to mind.

'Stands' at a football ground have seating
'Terraces' have no seats.

Common chant at a football ground to the ref is 'Whose the Bastard in the Black' whenever a decision goes against you.

Crap is a common word to describe bad players.
A good through ball from the midfielders/defenders for a forward to run onto (rather than passed to feet) is called playing it through the channels.

A few of the characters in the game.
Everybody hates Alex Furgerson (sp?) the Man Utd manager as he is a moaning git.
Graham Taylor - Aston Villa manager is known as 'the Turnip' - from his days as an ineffective England Manager.
Terry Venables - famous manager/coach is known as 'El Tel' as he once managed Barcelona.
Bryan Robson (manager) is known as 'Captain Marvel' from his days as a brilliant Man Utd player.

Arsenal used to get the constant chant of 'Boring Boring Arsenal' as they always seemed to win 1-0, now it is chanted by Arsenal fans in irony.

Homophobic behaviour is not unusual from English fans.
Most Man Utd fans, don't live in Manchester - most Manchester people support Man City.
Most Liverpool fans were born/live outside ot liverpool - most Liverpool people support Everton.

One of my all time favourite quotes is from a famous football manager (Bill Shankly), when discussing the importance of football 'Its not a matter of life and Death, its more important than that'

You might want to check out the sports pages of The Sun Newspaper as it can give you up to date info about the general impressions of modern players.

Hope some of the above helps.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:41 AM   #4
CAsterling
High School JV

Dola

If you are playing with a london club and want to include some Cockney Rhyming Slang try the below link for a good set of samples.

cockney slang
Old 05-10-2003, 11:44 AM   #5
korme
Go Reds

I love cockney slang

haha, you need to understand it if you want to watch Lock, Stock
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 12:30 PM   #6
3ric
College Starter

And then there's Colemanballs of course:
http://www.pcsunion.com/colemanballs.htm
Old 05-10-2003, 12:43 PM   #7
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Here's a few good chants from the crowd (using a player from my beloved Cambridge Utd)

(sung to the tune of Jesus Christ Superstar)

Dave Kitson! Super Star!
How Many goals have you scored so far..

Or if you hate a certain player..

Nicky Anelka.. Super Star..
Runs like a girl and he wears a bra..

If a player has been suspected of breaking a diet, or if a ref (or a manager for that matter) is a fat b*stard, the traditional chant to greet them is "Who Ate all the pies?"

Fair weather fans are mocked with "You only sing when you're winning" and then when their team starts to lose, they start with "You're not singing Anymore"

The pushing and shoving that goes on with the action every so often is called "Argy Bargy".. and if two players face off, push at each other, but little else happens, it's referred to as "handbags at two paces"
Old 05-10-2003, 01:30 PM   #8
RoastDuck
Mascot

'Couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo' is a particular favourite expression of Dave Bassett's (ex-Wimbledon/Sheffield United manager) to describe a striker who... couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo.

Another couple of Shankly quotes, who incidentally is soccer's version of Vince Lombardi:

"A footballer who does not give everything he has (in terms of effort) is a criminal, I would lock them in jail and throw away the key."

"If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing."

Some Brian Clough quotes:

"The ugliest player I ever signed was Kenny Burns."

"Trevor Brooking floats like a butterfly and also stings like one."

Also, remember that it is absolutely mandatory for English supporters to blame any defeat against foreign opposition on a 'cheating bastard referee' who was obviously bought (bribed) by those 'cheating bastard Italians/Germans/Argentines' (delete as appropriate).
RoastDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:54 PM   #9
Katon
College Benchwarmer

That's complete rubbish. We blame ANY defeat on the ref.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 01:58 PM   #10
Calis
College Starter

Just to clarify, I'm not British. I'm Kansan, so that's close.

I have however been trying to get moved over to England for some time.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 02:31 PM   #11
Ryan S
Quarterback

Re: Calling All You British Blokes...Help Wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
anyone else?

Ahem

I know I am not very well known around these parts, but I am also British.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:06 PM   #12
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Re: Re: Calling All You British Blokes...Help Wanted

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryan S
Ahem

I know I am not very well known around these parts, but I am also British.

We won't hold that against you...

You Bloody Limey
SirFozzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:09 PM   #13
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by CAsterling
Dola

If you are playing with a london club and want to include some Cockney Rhyming Slang try the below link for a good set of samples.

cockney slang

The guy from Ocean's 11 speaks this way. I love it!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 03:20 PM   #14
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Damn guys. This stuff is just wonderful! Exactly what I was looking for.

Heh heh, after I posted that, I later thought of you, Ryan S. I should have thought of you among the first.

If you have any more guys, keep them coming. I'll start my dynasty sometime today, though, and you can feel free to offer commentary here or there (especially after I gave a first try at writing "English").

If it matters any, the area in question is Kettering Town, northeast of Northampton. I'm planning on making all of the fans Kettering Town Poppies fans (of course)-- that is the dynasty I'm starting off with. They will also mostly be favoring of local teams, so they will like the Diamonds of Rushden and the Northampton Cobblers. They generally support Birmingham in the EPL, and they constantly get into fights about Coventry and Leicester, between the two of which the fans are evenly split.

Thanks in advance for all your help. Hopefully I'll pull it off well enough that you guys will want to read it.

Chief Rum

P.S. Heh, Calis, there's no place like home, eh? Yeah, Kansas is a bit far from the UK--I took a wild stab cause you follow the footy.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:26 PM   #15
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Look up a Kettering Town fansite, try to get some of their stuff from the messageboard.. have them see who they hate.. (a lot of folks even in that area hate Rushden and Diamonds, seeing them as a team that just buys their way up the ranks.
Old 05-10-2003, 03:31 PM   #16
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel

that guy did the worst cockney accent since dick van dyke in mary poppins.
Old 05-10-2003, 04:02 PM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh.. and there is a sense of nationalism in there, the Welsh teams are "nothing more then a bunch of bloody sheep-shaggers", Scotland a reputation for being a bunch of dour drinkers.. etc etc..
Old 05-10-2003, 04:04 PM   #18
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally posted by Marmel

We're in a Barney.. (confused silence)... Rubble, Trouble.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 04:12 PM   #19
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
Look up a Kettering Town fansite, try to get some of their stuff from the messageboard.. have them see who they hate.. (a lot of folks even in that area hate Rushden and Diamonds, seeing them as a team that just buys their way up the ranks.

Yeah, I found the Kettering Town web site last night, although I haven't found any fan sites yet. Most of the official site is pretty good actually, so it's disappointing that the one or two links that currently don't go anywhere are to the Social Club and the Contact Us list (where I might be able to find actual fans).

I looked up some football MBs, but I didn't find any that focused far enough down for me to find more on Kettering. If any of you have any recommendations on that, I would be happy to check them out.

And, see, that's great stuff about R&D. I never would have known that without you telling me. It even makes sense, since Rushden is very recently from the Conference, so they were probably rivals.

Actually, if Kettering has a real rival and one of you knows who, let me know that, too.

Chief Rum

Old 05-10-2003, 04:13 PM   #20
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

try rivals.net as well..
Old 05-10-2003, 04:15 PM   #21
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

here's a link to help you Chief: http://www.ketteringtownfc.com/
Old 05-10-2003, 04:22 PM   #22
McSweeny
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SirFozzie
Oh.. and there is a sense of nationalism in there, the Welsh teams are "nothing more then a bunch of bloody sheep-shaggers", Scotland a reputation for being a bunch of dour drinkers.. etc etc..

i believe those bastard derby supporters take the cake when it came to sheep shagging
McSweeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:02 PM   #23
Super Ugly
High School JV

Kettering's only 20 minutes from my house. Have you ever see "Texas Chainsaw Massacre"? Imagine that, webbed feet and the terrible stench of cider. I don't know about cockney rhyming slang, but if you can get hold of any drunken yokel farmer patois then it'd sound eerily accurate ...
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:03 PM   #24
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Hey Super Ugly! Nice to see someone from Cam-ber-idge, how close are you to the Abbey Stadium?
Old 05-10-2003, 05:13 PM   #25
tucker342
Pro Starter

beaver leaver --------------- Noun. A homosexual male. Due to not being interested in 'beaver'. See 'beaver' (noun).

Blimey! ---------------------- Exclam. An exclamation of surprise. An abbreviated form of blind me. Cf. 'cor blimey'.

These are a couple that I found. Try this website.
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/b.htm
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:52 PM   #26
andy m
High School Varsity

Quote:
how close are you to the Abbey Stadium?

the shabby stadium morelike. it's a dive.

Last edited by andy m : 05-10-2003 at 05:53 PM.
andy m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2003, 05:54 PM   #27
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I started the dynasty! Feel free to check it out. Thanks for all your help.

Chief Rum

Old 05-11-2003, 10:44 AM   #28
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Crystal Palace fans, during one of their rare wins, starting chanting "You're Shit...and you know you are" to the other team.

not English, but my father is, so I've picked up a lot of it. I wouldn't mind living there for awhile and teaching either.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote