Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2009, 03:47 AM   #1
Izulde
Head Coach

Yay Ice Storms!

You can see a few pics of the situation here on facebook, both from photos and my commentary.

University was closed today (Tuesday) and will be closed tomorrow (Wednesday). My apartment's without power, so I'm camping out in my office since the University buildings all have generators going and this gives me heat, power, Internet access and food (via vending machines).

I first got notice of power outages this morning/afternoon when I went out food hunting. Lot of the restaurants in downtown Fayetteville were closed due to power outages (except Geno's Pizza), so I went to the grocery store to get food to stock up.

...Only to find out the grocery store had a power outage two minutes before I got there.

From the news reports I've been reading, we could potentially be without power until Saturday. Over 100,000 in the NWA region sans power atm.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)

Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:32 AM   #2
cougarfreak
College Starter

Fun here just south of Cincy too. 7" of snow Monday night, 1/2" of ice last night, now 3-6" more snow expected today.

Last edited by cougarfreak : 01-28-2009 at 05:32 AM.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
Bad-example
College Starter

Southern Indiana is where my friend lives. He called me last night to let me hear the trees on his property explode. Sounded exactly like you would expect.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:43 AM   #4
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

This thread seems like a way to drive people to your Facebook page. I refuse, I have seen ice before anyways.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
This thread seems like a way to drive people to your Facebook page. I refuse, I have seen ice before anyways.

Old 01-28-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
sooner333
College Starter

We had some ice then some thunder-sleet and then just some sleet. We had OU close down Monday at 1:30 (which caused all my classes to be cancelled) and then closed yesterday and today as well. I'm glad to be off, not looking forward to hear how we're going to make up the classes.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Southern Indiana is where my friend lives. He called me last night to let me hear the trees on his property explode. Sounded exactly like you would expect.

Oddly enough, there was a small pine tree in our backyard that didn't make it because of the high amount of clay in my soil. The ice took care of most of it for me and one smack of the snow shovel literally blew up the rest of it.

We haven't been to school since Monday and probably won't go back until next Monday. We have a lot of country roads that are simply blocked and several people are without power.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM   #8
Izulde
Head Coach

Yeah we've no power still either in my apartment and a lot of others are out too still. Estimates still place it as Saturday for restoration.

On the bright side, those of us in University apartments are now moved to one of the res halls, where we're doubling up with people to get actual warm beds to sleep on, so that's cool. Beats sleeping on the computer chairs in the lab.

No word yet on whether classes are a go tomorrow or not.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:57 PM   #9
SFL Cat
College Starter

Low 80s today, mid 60s right now.

Don't miss the times I lived in Fort Smith, AR and Tulsa, OK right about now.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #10
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post

Forgot to mention his property is pretty heavily wooded and the exploding trees were 80+ feet tall. Crack!
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #11
JeeberD
General Manager

We got a decent amount of ice last night. Despite that, I was stuck at work, forcing my employees to work even though barely anyone was coming through the doors.

Good call, Regional Director.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #12
MJ4H
Coordinator

Just got internet connection back after the storm. Only brief periods of 30 minutes or so without power. Dish was down or only able to get a few channels most of the time. Was pretty lucky all in all. Oh except for my entire house was hit with a stomach virus pretty much as soon as the storm hit. I still haven't eaten in 2 days.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote