Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-30-2009, 02:35 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Getting a PS3

Well...I'm finally giving in and getting a PS3. I watched some videos of MLB the Show, as well as Metal Gear, and I just can't wait out any longer. Leaving for the local Best Buy now

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Enjoy.

I'm getting ready to take my Cubs to Coors Field to take on the Rockies in The Show. 106 or 107 games in and I'm only up 2.5 games over the Brewers. Any other baseball game I've ever had at this point in the season I'm up 15+ games and the end result is not in doubt.

Haven't played Metal Gear but think I'll try getting it in trade on Goozex when I have enough points.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #3
rowech
Pro Starter

Hold on with getting Metal Gear...is going to Greatest Hits in three weeks.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #4
BigDPW
College Prospect

I have contemplated taking the plunge. I have looked at them alot at Bestbuy locally when I browse.

Any tips or things to know when deciding which to get the 80 or 160 GB. I thought there were originally alot of differences between models but there do not appear to be any other than HD size now?

And how come they are no longer backwards compatible???
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #5
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Well...just got everything all set up. It must have been fate (not that I believe in that kind of stuff ) because I decided to wait a month on Metal Gear 4...now I'll save $20. I'll use that when explaining to my wife my reasoning for getting this. The Blu-Ray player is definitely a nice touch too.

Regarding the two different models, I don't think there is any difference between the two. I was surprised that the system didn't come with an HDMI, or even (very surprising IMO) a network cable. It's a good thing I've got an entire drawer full of every cable known to man x2.

I'm gunna set everything up now, and post my opinion on the main differences between this and my 360.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Sun- I just got my PS3 a couple weeks ago and went to Gamestop yesterday to catch up on some of the bigger titles I missed out on since they were buy 2 get 1 free on used games. So I picked up Killzone 2, Resistance 2, MGS4, and Dead Space plus Rainbow 6 Vegas 1 and 2 for the 360. Not a bad way to catch up on some of the older games.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
Hold on with getting Metal Gear...is going to Greatest Hits in three weeks.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Ramzavail
College Starter

I was going to take advantage of the gamestop deal, but the non backwards compatability really really turned me off. So I'll start playing Fallout 3 on XBOX 360 instead *rolls eyes*
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

So...I just stopped playing...and only because my wife finally came home from her mothers. Very...very...very fun game. I cant' remember the last time I felt so immersed in a game before. Graphically MLB is just insane, it blows away any other sports game i've ever played before. I've seen some wacky things happen already, AS IS TO BE EXPECTED WITH ANY GAME OUT THERE. Overall I have to say I'm very happy with my purchase.

I'm looking forward to using the Blu-Ray, and yes I do have a nice, big, new 1080p Samsung LCD.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:39 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDPW View Post
And how come they are no longer backwards compatible???

That's not true. All PS1 games are backward compatible. Most PS2 games are backwards compatible, but not all. Sony has a site where you can verify compatibility for any PS2 game.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/CompatibleStatus

Just type in the game name and you can check for any issues. I usually check it before I head over to buy any used games from the PS2. You can obviously also use it to verify if your PS2 current library will work.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #11
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
That's not true. All PS1 games are backward compatible. Most PS2 games are backwards compatible, but not all. Sony has a site where you can verify compatibility for any PS2 game.

Just type in the game name and you can check for any issues. I usually check it before I head over to buy any used games from the PS2. You can obviously also use it to verify if your PS2 current library will work.

That is another thing Sony does wrong then. The instruction manual with my 160 GB PS3 explicitly states that the system isn't backwards compatible with any PS2 games, but that it can play play PS1 games.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
MrDNA
High School Varsity

I think Backward compatibility for PS2 games was actually phased out in the latest generation of PS3s. Or at least that's what I was told as well. Kind of struck me as... well... retarded. Still some awesome PS2 games. Heck, maybe I'll buy a PS2 - The Show's on there as well.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
That is another thing Sony does wrong then. The instruction manual with my 160 GB PS3 explicitly states that the system isn't backwards compatible with any PS2 games, but that it can play play PS1 games.

Note that the 160 GB PS3 is not listed as a choice on that link MBBF sent around.

I do know they ripped out the hardware that provided compatibility, but then later there was talk of going the software-support route that Microsoft got ripped for. I did not follow closely enough to see if that reached any particular resolution.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #14
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Depending on what PS3 you buy it could have one of three PS2 backward compatibility levels:

100% - launch units, no longer sold, can be found used
~80% - 80GB units sold last year, some part of the hardware used for PS2 games was removed to save costs but most game will still work
0% - some earlier models and what is being sold now

I have one of the semi-BC models but haven't ever used the feature. My PS2 works fine, I don't want to buy a memory card transfer device, and newer PS2 games aren't updated on Sony's compatibility list as quick as I would like (it would be foolish to start a long RPG like Persona 4 and just hope you don't find out some part doesn't work on PS3 40 hours into the game).
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I could care less about PS2 games.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #16
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
I could care less about PS2 games.

Same here. Never loaded a ps1 game after getting a ps2. Never loaded a ps2 game after getting a ps3 and 360.

If I wanted to play either ps2 or 1 I would put them in the old console.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:00 PM   #17
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post

That's just MBBF pedantically keeping his head up his ass. Instead of focusing on, uh, this is a thread started by a NEW PlayStation 3 owner, he sticks his head in the sand and points at the 20/60/old 80. See? There's even a site!!!

And here I thought he was doing better about criticism towards Sony.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:02 PM   #18
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
That's just MBBF pedantically keeping his head up his ass. Instead of focusing on, uh, this is a thread started by a NEW PlayStation 3 owner, he sticks his head in the sand and points at the 20/60/old 80. See? There's even a site!!!

And here I thought he was doing better about criticism towards Sony.

I honestly didn't realize that they took the BC out of the 80 GB if that's the case. Certainly no reason to be a jerk. I was trying to be helpful.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #19
DanGarion
Coordinator

I'm still trying to figure out what I bought a PS3.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:21 PM   #20
Kodos
Resident Alien

Sadly, I've played way more PS2 games on my PS3 than PS3 games. Mostly because I tend to buy games for the 360 due to multiplayer options. I play PS2 games with my son on the PS3.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-31-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:33 PM   #21
Ryan S
Quarterback

I don't know about the US, but in the UK the 60gb model is the only one with backward compatibility.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #22
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

I've played some PS2 games on my PS3 but mostly for PS3 games and bluray
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #23
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, it's my main movie player as well.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:07 PM   #24
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what I bought a PS3.
I'll take it off your hands....
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I watched the Dark Knight (for the first time) today on Blu-Ray. While the video didn't blow me away or even seem that much better than an upscaled DVD, the sound was much better than anything that has ever come out of my surround sound system.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #26
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDNA View Post
I think Backward compatibility for PS2 games was actually phased out in the latest generation of PS3s. Or at least that's what I was told as well. Kind of struck me as... well... retarded. Still some awesome PS2 games. Heck, maybe I'll buy a PS2 - The Show's on there as well.

Really, why on earth would they do that? With the enormous number of PS2 games sitting on people's shelves, that would seem to be a huge selling point for the PS3.

They have the best hardware, and have driven it into a solid third place. The level to which the have borked the management of this product is simply unbelievable.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:54 AM   #27
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I honestly didn't realize that they took the BC out of the 80 GB if that's the case. Certainly no reason to be a jerk. I was trying to be helpful.

Oh ya?!? Well the jerk store called and they are all out of backward compatible PS3s!
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:02 AM   #28
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Oh ya?!? Well the jerk store called and they are all out of backward compatible PS3s!

So I hear!
Old 06-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #29
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Hmmm...aparently Sony is expected to announce a price drop in the PS3 tomorrow. Hopefully is will be effective immediately and I can go back and get the price difference refunded. I wouldn't mind an extra $100 back in my pocket.

So...for all of you who are/were on the fence about getting a PS3, would a new price tag of $299 be enough to convince you to make the purchase?
Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #30
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Hmmm...aparently Sony is expected to announce a price drop in the PS3 tomorrow. Hopefully is will be effective immediately and I can go back and get the price difference refunded. I wouldn't mind an extra $100 back in my pocket.

So...for all of you who are/were on the fence about getting a PS3, would a new price tag of $299 be enough to convince you to make the purchase?

Source? Not that I don't believe you, but haven't seen it yet.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:02 AM   #31
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Well....it would make sense to me. I was even considering the idea that they would announce a price drop at E3 when I was weighing the options on whether I should buy it or not. The guys over at IGN feel pretty strongly that they will drop the price $100, and though sometimes I'm not exactly on the same page as them, this time I agree.

I would be more surprised if they didn't announce a price drop than if they did.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-01-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #32
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well....it would make sense to me. I was even considering the idea that they would announce a price drop at E3 when I was weighing the options on whether I should buy it or not. The guys over at IGN feel pretty strongly that they will drop the price $100, and though sometimes I'm not exactly on the same page as them, this time I agree.

I would be more surprised if they didn't announce a price drop than if they did.

From what I've seen, I'd be floored if there were a price drop. There's no real incentive to do it until the fall.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #33
Kodos
Resident Alien

Unless they like, you know, actually selling PS3s.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:39 PM   #34
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Really, why on earth would they do that? With the enormous number of PS2 games sitting on people's shelves, that would seem to be a huge selling point for the PS3.

To save money. The original PS3 had some PS2 hardware built in. The newer versions do not have this hardware.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 08:45 PM   #35
MrDNA
High School Varsity

Price drop probably equals buy. Even though I have no money. STUPID MONEY.
MrDNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #36
BigDPW
College Prospect

Any word on the price drop from the E3 presser?
BigDPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 04:52 PM   #37
JediKooter
Coordinator

I wish I could find it, but, I did see something on Yahoo news a couple of weeks ago that mentioned a possible price drop for the PS3.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 05:15 PM   #38
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

I don't believe they dropped the price...if they did they didn't announce it during the conference.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #39
rowech
Pro Starter

No...they didn't.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #40
SackAttack
Head Coach

They did not.

Doubt we'll hear anything before August, if not later.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:22 PM   #41
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Good deal on a PS3 if anyone's looking for one. 80 GB PS3 with Killzone 2 for $340.

Slickdeals.net - Dell Home: Playstation 3 80GB Console + Killzone 2 Game $340 or $330
Old 06-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #42
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

This seems as good a place as any to ask, I bought a game on the PSN store via my PS3 that says it can work on PSP and PS3. How do I get it to my PS3?

Or do I have to buy it through PSP?

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:48 AM   #43
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
This seems as good a place as any to ask, I bought a game on the PSN store via my PS3 that says it can work on PSP and PS3. How do I get it to my PS3?

Or do I have to buy it through PSP?

/tk

There's a utility on the PS3 that walks you through the process of linking the PS3 to the PSP. It's done via USB. You can transfer those PSP/PS3 games once you complete that process.