Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-22-2006, 08:41 PM   #1
Galaril
Pro Starter

New Movie: Star Trek 11 in 2008

Star Trek the early years sounds promising. With the guy from Lost writing and direct this could be good.

hhttp://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/e...567498000.html

Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
amdaily
College Prospect

Ya to no Berman
Na to early years
and Na to Abrams. I hate the fucker/ What's his name from B5 should have got his shot at Trek. Or that other guy who is working on 24 now.

Last edited by amdaily : 04-22-2006 at 08:47 PM.
amdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #3
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Read about that yesterday, good news IMO. Glad to see the franchise didnt take several years off like was speculated.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:45 PM   #4
Franklinnoble
Banned

Bah. Sounds like 'Star Trek: 90210'
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble

Indeed. I hope it fails so it will finally take several, needed, years off.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:49 PM   #6
Schmidty
Coordinator

Crap news.

I want more ST: TNG or even a ST: DS9 (my favorite) movie.

Last edited by Schmidty : 04-22-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

read about that yesterday too. UGH. if you wanna talk about putting a nail in the coffin of the franchise, that oughta do it. UGH.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:53 PM   #8
amdaily
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
Crap news.

I want more ST: TNG or even a STS9 (my favorite) movie.

Agreed. The one series (DS9) that was interesting from the start to the end and it gets no respect
Old 04-22-2006, 09:40 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

There needs to be DS9 movie, with Sisko back where he belongs. But this time, as an Admiral. After all, the guy ran a whole station and they had the nerve to originally not have him as a Captain.

Anyway...you're right. It gets no respect at all.
Old 04-22-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
Ya to no Berman
Na to early years
and Na to Abrams. I hate the fucker/ What's his name from B5 should have got his shot at Trek. Or that other guy who is working on 24 now.

J Michael Straczynski was the B5 dude. And what sucks is he actually expressed interest in doing a Trek series not too long ago. And was shot down.

Fuckers. He coulda done it quite well.

But yes. DS9 REALLY improved as it went along, mainly, I think, because it took a page out of B5: Continual plotlines. For the most part, no particle of the week, no deflector dishes, etc etc. That, and they finally started making the Federation falllable.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 10:58 PM   #11
Franklinnoble
Banned

I agree that Star Trek needs a few more years off. I wouldn't miss it if it took the next decade off, and let some new blood come into the picture.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:00 PM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I agree that Star Trek needs a few more years off. I wouldn't miss it if it took the next decade off, and let some new blood come into the picture.

I don't even think it necessarily needs time off. It just needs 1) a fresh writer/director and 2) to not have ANYTHING to do with the old characters.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:06 PM   #13
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amdaily
Agreed. The one series (DS9) that was interesting from the fourth or fifth season to the end and it gets no respect

FIXED!

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:28 PM   #14
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Im curious what people think time off would do to improve the quality or lack thereof with Star Trek.
Old 04-22-2006, 11:41 PM   #15
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
In its article Friday that broke the story, Variety didn't use the "P" word, but the trade paper made the Abrams movie sound very much like one, noting it'll show Kirk and Spock's "first meeting at Starfleet Academy and [their] first outer space mission."

Maintaining calm is author Win Scott Eckert, who has been collecting, compiling and otherwise straightening out Starfleet chronology since he was a boy back in the 1970s, and has the 184-page Star Trek Annotated Timeline to show for the effort. He, for one, is looking forward to the new movie, and isn't worried it'll wreak havoc with Kirk and Spock as fans know them.

"There is really very little that is Trek "canon" [meaning, info gleaned from the TV shows and movies] about these characters' early careers," Eckert said in an email interview Friday. "So, I can't see any reason why this prequel would not fit into canonical Trek continuity."
Maybe they kiss..
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #16
sabotai
General Manager

They need to make a movie involving Q!
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:50 PM   #17
SFL Cat
College Starter

I think they need to give Star Trek a 10-15 year break. Its not like they need to do anything new for a while. After all, they have reruns from 5 series now that they can run...over...and over....and over.....and over.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:53 PM   #18
bbor
Pro Starter

Dork alert!!!!!!!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:54 PM   #19
bbor
Pro Starter

Dola

I'm really looking forward to this movie.

I own all of them

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 11:56 PM   #20
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Dola

I'm really looking forward to this movie.

I own all of them

But have you visited Star Trek Experience? :cheesy:
Old 04-22-2006, 11:59 PM   #21
Bad-example
College Starter

Voyager is the series that really gets no respect. Truly a shame, because some of the writing was superb.

Quote:
I want more ST: TNG or even a ST: DS9 (my favorite) movie.

I agree that a Next Gen/DS9/Voyager era movie would be the best choice. They could use characters from all three series.

A Q movie, though...well, I am not sure how they would explain how the immortal Q (John DeLancie) turned into a 50+ year old mushy potato of a man. Maybe if they used a new actor.

Last edited by Bad-example : 04-23-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #22
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Dork alert!!!!!!!

Friggin' Klingon.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:13 AM   #23
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example
Voyager is the series that really gets no respect. Truly a shame, because some of the writing was superb.

I agree that a Next Gen/DS9/Voyager era movie would be the best choice. They could use characters from all three series.

A Q movie, though...well, I am not sure how they would explain how the immortal Q (John DeLancie) turned into a 50+ year old mushy potato of a man. Maybe if they used a new actor.

I miss Seven of 9.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:16 AM   #24
Bad-example
College Starter

Heh...me too. The episode where the doctor tries to coach her on dating was great!
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:38 AM   #25
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg23
But have you visited Star Trek Experience? :cheesy:

yes. yes i have.

anyway, i cant wait to see who they come up with to play a teenage kirk and spock...i swear to god if sean william scott gets anywhere near this movie i am taking my starfleet academy bumper sticker off (ok, im not that bad, but i have been to the star trek exp. and thought it was awesome)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:41 AM   #26
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai
They need to make a movie involving Q!

Yes yes.

This was all but promised in the series finale when he said, "See you...out there!"
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:55 AM   #27
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
I thought someone already tried this idea with Space Above and Beyond?
IwasHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:02 AM   #28
JeffNights
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IwasHere
I thought someone already tried this idea with Space Above and Beyond?

Now Am I alone when I say Space was not that bad of a show?
JeffNights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 02:05 AM   #29
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights

Nope, I liked it.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:32 AM   #30
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Im curious what people think time off would do to improve the quality or lack thereof with Star Trek.

I guess I could understand, maybe from a commercial standpoint, that a long time off could build more desire for a new product. Right now it seems there is more ambivalence than anything else.

But from a creative standpoint, yeah, I don't think time would be the difference. They just need to come at things from a new angle, catch up with the times. The last couple series seem very sterile and boring compared with newer fare such as Firefly and Galactica. They definitely need a new group of people in charge.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:49 AM   #31
IwasHere
Banned

Do we have any readers out there. I still enjoy the books very much.

Reading the Dominion Wars and what Picard and his crew were up to during this time was great. I also really enjoy the Cross over books. Q-Squared was fun seeing how the Squire of Gothos was actually a young Q in training. Peter David is my favorite Trek author.

BTW. I am still waiting for my Quantum Leap movie!

Last edited by IwasHere : 04-23-2006 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #32
Barkeep49
Coordinator

What I find interesting is that this isn't the first rumored Trek project. That was the one where they were going to bring in the guy from Gladiator, but the script he turned in was so terrible they shelved the whole project.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 10:19 AM   #33
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
But from a creative standpoint, yeah, I don't think time would be the difference. They just need to come at things from a new angle, catch up with the times. The last couple series seem very sterile and boring compared with newer fare such as Firefly and Galactica. They definitely need a new group of people in charge.

That I'd definitely agree with. Enterprise should have been good. The premise was there- show what happened at the very beginning: people go into space, people meet all the characters for the first time, all the aliens, etc. And it just never really goes anywhere- it just lacked writing and directing skill.

Voyager, well, that was kindof crappy to begin with. Had a few good episodes, but, on the whole, when you're cross promoting with your big chested character and WWF, which your station also carries, it's just time to give up.

(Tho I love how people vastly overrate Firefly, it's almost comical.)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 11:09 AM   #34
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
(Tho I love how people vastly overrate Firefly, it's almost comical.)

SI

I totally agree with that. It's a decent show, but people act as if it's the greatest show in television history.
Old 04-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #35
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana
anyway, i cant wait to see who they come up with to play a teenage kirk and spock...i swear to god if sean william scott gets anywhere near this movie i am taking my starfleet academy bumper sticker off (ok, im not that bad, but i have been to the star trek exp. and thought it was awesome)
I think the worst case scenario would be Ben Affleck.

I have also been to The Star Trek Experience and I thought it was pretty cool. I was three days removed from a bout with stomach flu, so it's a miracle that after eating lunch there I was able to make it through the ride without incident.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:17 PM   #36
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
I guess I could understand, maybe from a commercial standpoint, that a long time off could build more desire for a new product. Right now it seems there is more ambivalence than anything else.

See, that's why I'm actually encouraged by this. While I'm not completely sold on Abrams as being the guy to pull it off (Armageddon, anyone?), I think this is the direction to go -- get someone with creativity outside the Star Trek family and play in a new sandbox.

I hear the calls for a DS9 or Voyager movie, but those are movies that wouldn't have any appeal outside the hardcore fans -- which we have determined is a $43 million gross based on the last outing of the TNG. There is no appeal outside the diehards for this one. A fresh take from a hot, creative writer might be able to pull in the more casual fans.

The thing about going back to the past is I think it makes making the movie appeal to fans without being distracting is impossible. I think that bothered people about Enterprise -- I know it bothered fans I talked to. The original series had low-grade graphics and sets -- If you make a $500,000 Star Trek movie today, it's going to look like it took place a thousand years after the original series. To keep fans from bitching about how the movie looks out of chronology, the story and creativity has to be out of the park.
Old 04-23-2006, 02:15 PM   #37
IwasHere
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
S
The thing about going back to the past is I think it makes making the movie appeal to fans without being distracting is impossible. I think that bothered people about Enterprise -- I know it bothered fans I talked to. The original series had low-grade graphics and sets -- If you make a $500,000 Star Trek movie today, it's going to look like it took place a thousand years after the original series. To keep fans from bitching about how the movie looks out of chronology, the story and creativity has to be out of the park.
I don't get this.

I know the Jetsons are set in the far off future of 2003, but I still watch them.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:34 PM   #38
samifan24
Pro Starter

I grew up watching ST:TNG and loved the run from about season 3 onward. However I have very little interest in watching a "prequel." I'm excited that Berman is not associated with the project, though.
Old 04-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #39
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNights

Ups and downs. The first few episodes were excellent, it hit a major rut in the middle, and I don't remember the last few episodes before it croaked.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:12 PM   #40
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I totally agree with that. It's a decent show, but people act as if it's the greatest show in television history.

It was a very good show with great potential. The fact that it died an untimely death will make it seem even better. People love a fallen hero.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:49 PM   #41
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I guess the people who dressed up as stormtroopers for Stars Wars have something to look forward to besides the next Harry Potter movie.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 05:04 PM   #42
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
I guess the people who dressed up as stormtroopers for Stars Wars have something to look forward to besides the next Harry Potter movie.

Damn im watching Harry Potter currently, own some Star Trek movies and dig Star Wars.

Someone trying to say something?
Old 04-23-2006, 05:16 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiders Army
guess the people who dressed up in black and gold for another losing season have nothing to look forward to.

fixed it for ya
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 06:04 PM   #44
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Damn im watching Harry Potter currently, own some Star Trek movies and dig Star Wars.

And I'm currently on Episode 4 of a full Star Wars marathon. There is nothing wrong with us.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:17 PM   #45
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:

Maybe something about those people who dress up and wait in line for movie premieres.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:18 PM   #46
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
fixed it for ya
We'll see. Talk to me in December.
Old 08-22-2006, 09:14 AM   #47
Kodos
Resident Alien

http://imdb.com/title/tt0796366/fullcredits

I missed this the first time around. Matt Damon as Kirk?

And to echo the other Q fans, we need a Q movie! And I would definitely see another Next Generation movie.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:39 AM   #48
Fonzie
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

And to echo the other Q fans, we need a Q movie! And I would definitely see another Next Generation movie.

A Q movie must happen. Make it so!
Fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 11:43 AM   #49
Bee
Pro Starter

Matt Damon is too good of an actor to play Kirk.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:02 PM   #50
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I think the worst case scenario would be Ben Affleck.

Although I think Damon would be hated by the fanboy community, I don't hate the idea of Damon as Kirk for one major reason -- he's not Ben Affleck.