Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-30-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

NFL Week 17 - Welker hurt, Giants suck and some other stuff

As a Lions fan no week in the NFL is worse then Week 17. We have a blacked out game that doesn't matter. Our rookie QB is out so we can't even watch him play. All my FF leagues are over (for nearly everyone else I'd assume too) and this year the one game that means anything will end up a sham as the Jets will play a Bengals team most likely headed up by JT O'Sullivan.

Oh well. At least I can hold out hope that the Rams accidentally beat SF and the Lions lose.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
the one game that means anything will end up a sham as the Jets will play a Bengals team most likely headed up by JT O'Sullivan.

I remain surprised that Dallas/Philadelphia wasn't flexed to Sunday night instead of Jets/Bengals for this reason. Once Dallas beat Washington last Sunday, Dallas/Philly was the only game in the league that could be played after all the other games and be guaranteed to still have meaning for both teams. Unless, of course, there's a rule about the same team appearing on Sunday night two weeks in a row, in which case that's a shitty rule to have for week 17!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
spleen1015
Coordinator

If I pay attention to football at all this weekend it will because I'm in a fantasy football championship with about $150 on the line.

The Colts sucked out all of my NFL enthusiasm.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

DeTox. I think it's safe to assume that regardless of whether the Rams have the first, second, or third pick of the draft, that they'll be taking either Clausen or McCoy. That should leave at least 2-3 top flight receivers for the Lions to choose from.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 12-30-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
I remain surprised that Dallas/Philadelphia wasn't flexed to Sunday night instead of Jets/Bengals for this reason. Once Dallas beat Washington last Sunday, Dallas/Philly was the only game in the league that could be played after all the other games and be guaranteed to still have meaning for both teams. Unless, of course, there's a rule about the same team appearing on Sunday night two weeks in a row, in which case that's a shitty rule to have for week 17!

They said the reason they did it was because at the end of this TV contract cycle, an equal number of Fox games and CBS games must be flexed. Currently, Fox has lost five more games than CBS has and they took the game to start to try and balance it out.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
JediKooter
Coordinator

I will laugh if Denver loses and they don't make the playoffs.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:21 AM   #7
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Our rookie QB is out so we can't even watch him play.

You'd only miss him throw a few picks anyways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I will laugh if Denver loses and they don't make the playoffs.

I bet it is likely that Denver will win and not make the playoffs.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
DeTox. I think it's safe to assume that regardless of whether the Rams have the first, second, or third pick of the draft, that they'll be taking either Clausen or McCoy. That should leave at least 2-3 top flight receivers for the Lions to choose from.

What sucks is we actually need WR badly
Old 12-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #10
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
What sucks is we actually need WR badly
Really? I'd think the Lions have much bigger needs than WR, with Megatron on the roster. I'm thinking...any position on defense.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:48 AM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Really? I'd think the Lions have much bigger needs than WR, with Megatron on the roster. I'm thinking...any position on defense.

I don't mean in the draft. Just that our WR's outside Megatron are an abortion despite all the picks used on them in the past.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
I bet it is likely that Denver will win and not make the playoffs.

Speaking of, we haven't had a good argument about how great and underrated Denver is and what a good hire Josh McDaniels was for a while. I guess going 2-7 over the last 9 games will do that.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #13
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
As a Lions fan no week in the NFL is worse then Week 17. We have a blacked out game that doesn't matter. Our rookie QB is out so we can't even watch him play. All my FF leagues are over (for nearly everyone else I'd assume too) and this year the one game that means anything will end up a sham as the Jets will play a Bengals team most likely headed up by JT O'Sullivan.

Oh well. At least I can hold out hope that the Rams accidentally beat SF and the Lions lose.

You actually want the #1 pick again?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #14
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

Not sure about back-to-back appearances, but I think there is a rule about how many times you can appear on primetime and use flex. I think Dallas has been on prime time too many times.
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:28 PM   #15
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
You actually want the #1 pick again?

9 times out of 10 I would say no but I am that high on Suh. He is someone who can turn a D around in a hurry.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #16
JeeberDMack
Mascot

The one time this year I'll be rooting for the Giants and they have absolutely nothing to play for. And, of course, I'm sure the last thing they want to do is help the Cowboys (or Eagles) out...
JeeberDMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:13 PM   #17
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Yeah I can't even sell my Colts vs Bills Tickets for $30 less than face value for the 2.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:27 PM   #18
Apathetic Lurker
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
Yeah I can't even sell my Colts vs Bills Tickets for $30 less than face value for the 2.

I'd buy them for dollar but my wife doesnt wanna give up the suite
Apathetic Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #19
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
9 times out of 10 I would say no but I am that high on Suh. He is someone who can turn a D around in a hurry.

Suh is no doubt the guy in this draft but I don't think Eric Berry would be a bad consolation prize.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:51 PM   #20
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
the one game that means anything will end up a sham as the Jets will play a Bengals team most likely headed up by JT O'Sullivan.

Lamarr Woodley agrees with you.

Woodley predicts Bengals, Patriots to 'lay down' to keep Steelers out
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:29 PM   #21
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Yeah, everyone's afraid of the big bad "can't stop shit in the 4th quarter" fucking squealers.

Yep, fucking PANIC stricken.

Woodley is such a lame ass. The only team People are less worried about right now would be...Miami or maybe Jacksonville. The Jets, Broncos and Ravens are all better than shitsburgh.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 01:33 AM   #22
miami_fan
Coordinator

No beer but you get a nice towel

Jets to hold halftime Giants Stadium celebration - NFL - SI.com

Quote:
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New York Jets will pay tribute to their 26 years at Giants Stadium with a halftime celebration during the final regular-season game to be played there Sunday night against the Cincinnati Bengals.

The Jets, who moved to the Meadowlands from Shea Stadium in 1984, will have at least one player from every season at Giants Stadium represented at the ceremony, including Joe Klecko, Mark Gastineau, Wesley Walker, Marty Lyons, Al Toon, Wayne Chrebet and Vinny Testaverde.

No alcohol will be served at the game, a decision the team made after consulting with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority. The parking lots will open 5 hours before the 8:20 p.m. kickoff for tailgating.

"The organization approaches the decision of whether to serve alcohol on a game-by-game basis, with input from the NJSEA," Jets spokesman Bruce Speight said. "With the late start of Sunday's game, coupled with this being the final regular-season and final game at the stadium, we feel it is prudent not to serve alcohol."

A highlights video will be played at halftime of a game the Jets (8-7) need to win to make the playoffs. The first 70,000 fans will receive a white rally towel with the words "Win And We're In" printed in green letters.

The Jets and Giants will begin playing home games at the New Meadowlands Stadium next season, located northeast of the current stadium.

Read more: Jets to hold halftime Giants Stadium celebration - NFL - SI.com
Get a free NFL Team Jacket and Tee with SI Subscription
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #23
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
Yeah, everyone's afraid of the big bad "can't stop shit in the 4th quarter" fucking squealers.

Yep, fucking PANIC stricken.

Woodley is such a lame ass. The only team People are less worried about right now would be...Miami or maybe Jacksonville. The Jets, Broncos and Ravens are all better than shitsburgh.

We get it already. You don't like Pittsburgh. It's old.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #24
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

not week 17 related,but was just watching a micd up video on Brett Favre earlier this year against the lions. It's Awesome and I'm not even too much of a Favre fan. you guys should check it out:

hxxp://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Sound-FX---Brett-Favre-Just-A-Big-Kid/5710a3de-a55a-4b08-ba98-8a45e4319627
Old 12-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #25
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Dola, I love these vids, this is one of Stafford when he lead the come back against the browns. and he was hurt the last couple plays of the game, pure guts. Kids got em.

hxxp://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-films-sound-efx/09000d5d8147c551/Sound-FX-Matthew-Stafford-mic-d-up
Old 01-01-2010, 10:44 PM   #26
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Surprised this wasn't posted yet.

Broncos bench Brandon Marshall Sunday. Also benching Tony Scheffler.

Josh McDaniels benches Brandon Marshall for Broncos finale - NFL - SI.com
Old 01-01-2010, 10:46 PM   #27
stevew
Hall Of Famer

To answer the titular question:

History suggests that the Bills will still get rolled in week 17 by a playoff team's b squad. See 2003, when the bills had a playoff birth on the line, and got stomped by a Steelers team featuring Brian St Pierre and Willie Parker(before he was a starter)
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:47 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

This has to be the last time I'll see good ole TC23 on the outer frames of a play, chasing down the guy he was supposed to cover? Right SR? Hopefully him and Tank can hang out a lot next season, Tank should be out of prison soon.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:09 PM   #29
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
This has to be the last time I'll see good ole TC23 on the outer frames of a play, chasing down the guy he was supposed to cover? Right SR? Hopefully him and Tank can hang out a lot next season, Tank should be out of prison soon.

I read an article in the Trib today that blew my mind.

Discussion of who, should the Steelers choose to, would get the franchise tag after the season. Mentioned Hampton, Clark, Parker and Reed as the main UFAs.

And all I could think is WHERE THE FUCK IS THE SUPPORT FOR THE BEST DREADS IN PITSBURGH!?
Old 01-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #30
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

DOLA

NFL to ask competition committee to look again at game, competitive balance - ESPN

Not really sure how this gets enforced
Old 01-02-2010, 06:06 AM   #31
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Surprised this wasn't posted yet.

Broncos bench Brandon Marshall Sunday. Also benching Tony Scheffler.

Josh McDaniels benches Brandon Marshall for Broncos finale - NFL - SI.com

Boy this will be an interesting decision should the Broncos not make the playoffs now. C'mon Chiefs!
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #32
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Going to the Browns-Jags game tomorrow in Cleveland, yay fun

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #33
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
Going to the Browns-Jags game tomorrow in Cleveland, yay fun

Supposed to be strong winds. Derek Anderson might wish for the days of 2-17 for 23 yards.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #34
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Yeah how can you force some team to play its starters when they have everything locked up? I can see it now, if this would ever become a rule (it won't) and a key player gets hurt in one of these meaningless games, there would be organizations up in arms.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not sure exactly how either, but it definitely needs to be addressed. The Colts did nothing short of throwing a game last week & since it had definite impact on the playoff possibilities of other teams, that's a pretty grave issue.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #36
molson
General Manager

What they can do is not expand the playoffs further (which would create more meaningless regular reason games). Though I'm resigned to the fact that they're going to do that soon anyway.

Nothing can be done though, about the Colts being too afraid to enter the playoffs undefeated.

Last edited by molson : 01-02-2010 at 12:55 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #37
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Even if forced to dress and use players a minimum number of snaps, it would be a bunch of dive plays. Manning takes the snap, hands to Addai, 1 yard gain. Does this twice more. Punt.

Next series...three more of the same.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #38
bronconick
College Starter

If they do anything, I imagine it'll be some sort of fine that some organizations will cheerfully pay anyway.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #39
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Blizzard like conditions here in Buffalo, I doubt you see the starters for the colts play more than a quarter.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #40
Thomkal
Head Coach

Pains me to say this, but "Let's go Giants, beat those Vikings so my Cards still have a shot at the #2 seed!"
Old 01-03-2010, 11:05 AM   #41
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Pains me to say this, but "Let's go Giants, beat those Vikings so when the Cards lose and the Cowboys win the 'Boys still have a shot at the #2 seed!"

Fixed

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #42
Thomkal
Head Coach

You are such a homer Jeebs.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #43
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oh shit, welker possibly injured (looks like a knee)
Old 01-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #44
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Now I'm going to have to listen to jackasses and morons all offseason on how they should have sat Welker.

Wonderful.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #45
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

freak injury, that could happen in Practice, he was basically untouched when it occured (I'd say sprained knee, don't think it's ACL/MCL related)

I think you lose more in routine and edge in NOT playing your starters then you do in risking injury.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #46
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

That's the correct answer. But you know the Boston sports scene.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #47
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'd say the fact that Welker was crying for five minutes and then carted off means it probably is worse then a Sprain. These guys know when something is really wrong and I think this is really wrong.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #48
molson
General Manager

I don't think any significant number of people will really be pissed about him playing in the 1st quarter. This is the way Bellichick has done it since he's been here. And as Bellichik likes to point out - it's not like you have an unlimited roster, it's technically impossible to sit out all of your starters. Every team today is going to have their starters playing at least some of the game.

Last edited by molson : 01-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #49
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Welker doesn't stay down, ever. I knew it was over after 10 seconds.

Let's see what Edelman does in the post season. He could shine or he could disappoint.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #50
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I don't think any significant number of people will really be pissed about him playing in the 1st quarter. This is the way Bellichick has done it since he's been here. And as Bellichik likes to point out - it's not like you have an unlimited roster, it's technically impossible to sit out all of your starters.

I dunno how people can be pissed? This is no different then Week 1, 5 or 10. It's not like BB is defying logic and being a wildcard who is playing his guys when no one else does. Just bad luck.