Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2009, 05:12 AM   #1
rowech
Pro Starter

Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize???

What has he done to win this award? It's insanity. Perhaps he really is the Antichrist.

rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #2
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

But last week the right-wing media blamed him for Chicago losing the Olympics bid and said he no longer had the ability to charm or influence the international community

Seriously though I am surprised by this but I can't say I pay enough attention to be able to name anyone that was obviously snubbed in Obama's favor.

Some quotes from an AP article on yahoo.com:

Quote:

President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples," the Norwegian Nobel Committee said, citing his outreach to the Muslim world and attempts to curb nuclear proliferation.

The Nobel committee praised Obama's creation of "a new climate in international politics" and said he had returned multilateral diplomacy and institutions like the U.N. to the center of the world stage.

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," Thorbjoern Jagland, chairman of the Nobel Committee said. "In the past year Obama has been a key person for important initiatives in the U.N. for nuclear disarmament and to set a completely new agenda for the Muslim world and East-West relations."

He added that the committee endorsed "Obama's appeal that 'Now is the time for all of us to take our share of responsibility for a global response to global challenges.'"

"The exciting and important thing about this prize is that it's given too someone ... who has the power to contribute to peace," Norwegian Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg said.

"We trust that this award will strengthen his commitment, as the leader of the most powerful nation in the world, to continue promoting peace and the eradication of poverty," the foundation said.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:17 AM   #3
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

LMAO
Old 10-09-2009, 06:24 AM   #4
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

If the Nobel committee's intent was to diminish any level of confidence that they're handing out this award for the correct reasons.......mission accomplished.

I'd love to know what Obama did during his first two weeks in office that justified this award.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 AM   #5
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Wow, that's fucking ridiculous.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:39 AM   #6
molson
General Manager

His post-presidency speaking fee just went up even more. I'm sure he's happy about that.

Last edited by molson : 10-09-2009 at 06:40 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
Super Ugly
High School JV

Oh man ... sure, he's "captured the world's attention" and has already made some progress in improving international cooperation, but for crying out loud, look who his predecessor was. Regardless of one's personal feelings about Bush, the bar of international opinion was already pretty low when Obama came to office.

Maybe when some progress has been made on Afghanistan, Russia, or the West Bank, maybe then this won't seem so out of the blue. But to give it now, this just devalues the prize itself.
Super Ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:45 AM   #8
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Ugly View Post
But to give it now, this just devalues the prize itself.

I like Obama as much as the next liberal.

But yeah, this. WTF.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:47 AM   #9
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Nobel observers were shocked by the unexpected choice so early in the Obama presidency, which began less than two weeks before the Feb. 1 nomination deadline.

Those were a pretty great two weeks.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Those were a pretty great two weeks.

We'll have to pull out the executive orders signed in those first two weeks. Evidently, they were pretty impactful.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 AM   #11
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Maybe it's all a set up deal, so he can decline the award & get the positive p.r. for setting a higher standard than those sparkling two weeks.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And just wait til they find out he bombed the moon this morning, boy will they look silly then.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #13
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And just wait til they find out he bombed the moon this morning, boy will they look silly then.

I think the prize clearly relates to promoting peace on EARTH.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:09 AM   #14
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Maybe it's all a set up deal, so he can decline the award & get the positive p.r. for setting a higher standard than those sparkling two weeks.

I was actually just thinking about this. At first, I thought 'Boy, I'd actually be impressed if he turned down the award'. But then I started thinking about all the scenarios.

1. If this committee is dumb enough to hand out this award in this manner, they're just as likely to snub legitimate future candidates from our country if Obama does turn down the award. That would be a shame.

2. If he keeps the award, he can accept the award with a 'glorious' speech noting all of the other candidates that were overlooked because he received the award. He can note the accomplishments of all his 'competitors' for this award and how much more they deserve it them him, thereby making himself look selfless while receiving an award he doesn't deserve in the slightest.

Yeah, he'll accept it. FWIW, I never thought I'd see an event that made Al Gore's Nobel prize seem somewhat justified. That day has come quite unexpectedly. Congrats, Al Gore.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #15
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
I think the prize clearly relates to promoting peace on EARTH.

For the record, that moon bomb was funded under the Bush administration budget. Definitely another situation where Bush is to blame.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #16
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Those Nobel folks sure are a crazy lot.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:08 AM   #17
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I'm surprised too, but who else should they have given it to?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #18
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
And just wait til they find out he bombed the moon this morning

I laughed.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:10 AM   #19
Izulde
Head Coach

The Nobel Prize for Literature has made some questionable picks as well over the years, principally the number of Swedes they've given it to. And a lot of fantastic writers with a large body of work never received it, like Nabokov.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:22 AM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
The Nobel Prize for Literature has made some questionable picks as well over the years, principally the number of Swedes they've given it to. And a lot of fantastic writers with a large body of work never received it, like Nabokov.

you and nabokov...
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #21
Dutch
"Dutch"

Heh...

2001: Terrorist kill 3,000 Americans
2001: US Invades Afghanistan
2003: US Invades Iraq
2003-end of Bush Presidency: Oppenents argue that America forever damaged by "unilateral" GWOT.
2009: US President receives Nobel Peace Prize.

Bush's plan continues to be a huge success. Seriously.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 AM   #22
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

I dunno, maybe Bill Clinton for turning into Jimmy Carter and heading over to North Korea to free the two arrested journalists? MC Hammer for getting Michael Crabtree to sign? Michael Jackson for bringing the whole world together by dying? The guys who head Harmonix for getting a licensing agreement out of the Beatles? Subby for single-handedly brining peace to Monopoly City Streets by ruthlessly destroying all cheaters?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #23
Malificent
High School JV

From the Yahoo article on common myths about the Nobel Peace Prize:

• Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.

So, it seems like encouragement for Obama rather than recognition of already achieved tasks. Still feels odd, though.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:36 AM   #24
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malificent View Post
From the Yahoo article on common myths about the Nobel Peace Prize:

• Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.

More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.

So, it seems like encouragement for Obama rather than recognition of already achieved tasks. Still feels odd, though.

FWIW......the 'myth' was more similar to the original intent of the awards by Mr. Nobel. The criteria used by the committee has changed over time away from his original intent.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:37 AM   #25
miked
College Starter

Well, this is the same group that gave the award to Arafat.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM   #26
King of New York
High School Varsity

Maybe this was the Committee's way of trying to get the US out of both Iraq and Afghanistan, plus tie Obama's hands regarding Iran?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #27
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

In reality, they should have given it to the 60-odd million people who decided not to replace one warmonger with another in the White House.

I know I have some room on my mantel.

Seriously, though, as the award clearly references his actions prior to Inauguration as part of the rationale, I wonder how many of the people saying "WTF did he do in his first two weeks?!?!" are also the same people who complained that a) Obama was already acting like the President on the campaign trail and b) he was too involved with domestic and international affairs during the transition (or even before).

Not that I'm defending the award, it's just that I'm sure some people have short memories.

For instance....

Lighten up, guys. It's Friday, and the Peace Prize is easily the most political of the prizes given out by the Nobel Committee each year.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:46 AM   #28
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
FWIW......the 'myth' was more similar to the original intent of the awards by Mr. Nobel.

FOFC is truly blessed to have someone who knew the mind of Mr. Nobel. On a related note I had no idea you were as old as Bucc.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 AM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Lighten up, guys.

I already laughed about it, how much lighter can I really get?

I mean, yeah, I've giggled a little too afterwards but the initial laughter was probably more mirthy.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #30
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wonder if, when she heard the news, Hillary went into her office and laughed or cried. Or trashed some of her furniture.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 AM   #31
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Seriously, though, as the award clearly references his actions prior to Inauguration as part of the rationale, I wonder how many of the people saying "WTF did he do in his first two weeks?!?!" are also the same people who complained that a) Obama was already acting like the President on the campaign trail and b) he was too involved with domestic and international affairs during the transition (or even before).

Hmm, let me check, nope that wasn't me.

I'm not taking this too seriously and find it pretty funny, especially a few days after SNL lampooned him for not doing fuck-all so far as President, that the world gives him one of its highest honors.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #32
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
It's because Nakobov always falls apart in the playoffs.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #33
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
I mean, yeah, I've giggled a little too afterwards but the initial laughter was probably more mirthy.

I never really pictured you as someone who would giggle. Chortle, yes. Guffaw, certainly. But not giggle.

You've changed my entire perception, and on a Friday no less.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:01 AM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I wonder if, when she heard the news, Hillary went into her office and laughed or cried. Or trashed some of her furniture.

She's actually holding a staff meeting now to discuss a response.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #35
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Wow. This is baffling.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #36
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyroofoo View Post

How about a group award to every Iranian that peacefully protested.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #37
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I voted for Obama, I was glad to see him win the presidency, but when I heard that he won the Nobel Prize for Peace... my first reaction was: "for what?"
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #38
Autumn
Head Coach

I'm a liberal who voted for Obama, but I agree this is pretty ridiculous. It's only going to hurt his cause, causing more polarization. It's like some of Bushs's stunts that only added to the liberal rage. It certainly doesn't make the Nobel committee look too bright too. There are people who have been toiling their whole life at things to bring peace, come on.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 AM   #39
BYU 14
Coordinator

I won't pretend to know what others in the world are doing to promote peace, but yeah, Bill Clinton is one that comes to mind quickly from America who is probably more deserving. I am an Obama supporter, but this is just a head scratcher.

To be awarded the Nobel prize for speeches about what you are going to do or would like to do early in your presidency, really make the prestige of the award ring hollow.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #40
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
In reality, they should have given it to the 60-odd million people who decided not to replace one warmonger with another in the White House.

I know I have some room on my mantel.

Not that I'm defending the award, it's just that I'm sure some people have short memories.

For instance....

Lighten up, guys. It's Friday, and the Peace Prize is easily the most political of the prizes given out by the Nobel Committee each year.

Lighten up? Personally, I just think it's sad.

Someone here asked who else should have won the award. I dunno. How about someone who has done something, not just said something. If Obama reaches his goal or even gets 80% of the way to nuclear disarmament, I'd be thrilled at him getting it. But now? It's ridiculous.

Here are a few potential people who could have won the award:
------------------------------------------------------------
Egeland, for example, said he nominated Denis Mukwege, a physician in the war-torn Democratic Republic of the Congo who opened a clinic to help rape victims.

Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for "inciting subversion of state power." Another could be Wei Jingsheng, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. He now lives in the United States.
-------------------------------------------------------------

People who have actually done something. Sacrificed. (exactly what "sacrifice" has Obama made?)

After my initial shock, I did laugh. Not the laugh you are thinking of though. I laughed at the absurdity of the expectations placed on Obama now. He could be the single best president of all time and I think he'd have no better than a 60/40 chance to win the next election now. Let's face it, the odds he actually gets nukes out of North Korea and Iran is about the same odds that I'm going to win the next Nobel award. It's one thing to make it a campaign promise or hope. It's another thing to actually get it done. Good luck pal. Glad I'm not in your shoes.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #41
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Maybe this was the Committee's way of trying to get the US out of both Iraq and Afghanistan, plus tie Obama's hands regarding Iran?

The committee doesn't really have the power to revoke Obama's hands, so I don't think that's happening.

As for the first point, the committee chair pretty much said that's what they were trying to do.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #42
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Let's face it, the odds he actually gets nukes out of North Korea and Iran is about the same odds that I'm going to win the next Nobel award.

I believe the British bookies now have you listed as even money to win a Nobel Prize after today's announcement. Don't sell yourself short.

I went back and read the article about this story again, only to laugh once again at the absurdity of the whole thing. I have to keep telling myself that the site listed in the address bar is not The Onion.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:27 AM   #43
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
After my initial shock, I did laugh. Not the laugh you are thinking of though. I laughed at the absurdity of the expectations placed on Obama now. He could be the single best president of all time and I think he'd have no better than a 60/40 chance to win the next election now. Let's face it, the odds he actually gets nukes out of North Korea and Iran is about the same odds that I'm going to win the next Nobel award. It's one thing to make it a campaign promise or hope. It's another thing to actually get it done. Good luck pal. Glad I'm not in your shoes.

As stupid as this all is, I really don't see this having any effect on his chances of winning the next election.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #44
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I believe the British bookies now have you listed as even money to win a Nobel Prize after today's announcement. Don't sell yourself short.

I went back and read the article about this story again, only to laugh once again at the absurdity of the whole thing. I have to keep telling myself that the site listed in the address bar is not The Onion.

I checked the Web pretty thoroughly to make sure I wasn't being pranked before I replied, myself, lol
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:31 AM   #45
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
As stupid as this all is, I really don't see this having any effect on his chances of winning the next election.

I think yo are sadly mistaken. He approval rating was already sliding, mainly due to expectations that aren't being fulfilled. This adds to those expectations. Keep in mind, not every American spends time actually analyzing the election. A lot of people are going to roll their eyes at yet another award for a guy who they feel hasn't done anything yet.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #46
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
I think this might be a slight overreaction.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #47
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
A lot of people are going to roll their eyes at yet another award for a guy who they feel hasn't done anything yet.

And most of those people aren't going to vote for him no matter what he does.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:39 AM   #48
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Can somebody point out which day in late September/early October Obama went from moving way too fast to moving way to slowly?

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-09-2009 at 09:44 AM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 AM   #49
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
She's actually holding a staff meeting now to discuss a response.

So which one is Hillary? (I think I know )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:44 AM   #50
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

keep in mind, this is the same committee that gave this award a few years ago to someone who went around africa planting trees, and that was their whole gimmick
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote