Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-21-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Easy Mac

2007 MLS Thread

MLS is essentially kicking off now, and since the 06-07 soccer thread seems to mainly be related to European soccer...

Spoiler for the Champions Cup.
Houston lost 1-0
http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=486164

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

I'd like to start following the MLS (DC United) this season.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
st.cronin
General Manager

David Beckham

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #4
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

New England played their first preseason game last night, defeating the Bermudan National Team 3-1.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
Easy Mac

I'm trying to keep up with the MLS news of the day here

The links to stories only and none of my other random MLS stuff is here

Basically, its a parsed version of any RSS reader.
Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

English papers have linked the Revolution with a move for Robbie Fowler. (it's from the Daily Mirror so take with a truckload of salt)
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
marshall881
Mascot

Very nice result for DC last night. Gomez is pure class!
marshall881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:49 AM   #8
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

So a big way I keep up with all of "my teams" is my MyESPN homepage. I went to add DC United and all they have to add is Soccer->Headlines

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:41 AM   #9
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
English papers have linked the Revolution with a move for Robbie Fowler. (it's from the Daily Mirror so take with a truckload of salt)

BBC website has that story now, so maybe the Mirror finally got something right. With Voronin heading to Liverpool, Fowler will be down to about 5th or 6th pick forward so a good time for him to move on.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I attended a few Red Bulls games last year (2 or 3 including their lone home playoff game, i can't recall), and I'm attending at least 4 this time around, probably far more. Some friends and I picked up a 4-pack of tickets including the Beckham game and some of the other teams I'd like to see most (Houston, DC, and I forget who the 4th game is).

It's pretty likely I'll actually spring for season tickets in 2008 when the new stadium opens in Harrison, NJ. It will a breeze for me to get to relative to Giants Stadium, and I expect the atmosphere to be infinitely better. Finally a stadium that is easily reached by mass transit from both New Jersey and New York City!

This is a pretty solid MLS blog by writer Ives Galarcep, who is a writer for ESPN Soccernet and the NJ Herald. He covers a lot of league-wide stuff you never see actually make it to full "story" status, so it's pretty interesting, and he seems to add something daily. I think it's worth a look even for non-Red Bulls fans (though the blog is defintiely slanted towards local news).

http://njmg.typepad.com/sbi/

And I'm really eager to see what kind of job ESPN does with their Thursday night coverage, and almost more importantly highlights on sportscenter.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:43 AM   #11
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

I will be following Toronto FC this year. It is always fun to see an expansion team take shape. I'll probably attend a couple matches this year.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Oh, and the second leg games for both Houston and DC United in the opening round of the Champions Cup are on Fox Soccer Channel this Thursday, live at 7PM and 9PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I'm strongly contemplating getting one of those partial season packages to the Chicago Fire this year. I have yet to visit the new stadium, Toyota Park, but hear it's an absolute beauty.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 12:50 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Piss on the Fire! *clap clap clapclapclap*

Season Tickets are heading my way soon. Just about five weeks to opening day
Old 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #15
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I would be disappointed if the Revs DP slot goes to Robbie Fowler. I am not sure if he is type of name player they need to sign. First, they have enough firepower up front. If you do sign a striker with your DP, they are going to be better options come open than Fowler.

If you are a DC fan, Steven Goff's blog is pretty good. http://blog.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/ It is just not restricted to DC United either. He covers the whole American soccer scene.

I also read MLS Underground on occasion - http://mlsunderground.blogspot.com

There are a couple of others I have in RSSOwl, but they I can not recall them right now.

Last edited by GoldenEagle : 02-28-2007 at 01:06 PM.
GoldenEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

According to the MLSZone, David Beckham has signed his first move deal. He will play an English solider in a WWI movie called Truce. The movie is of course, based around soccer. Full details here: http://themlszone.blogspot.com/2007/...r-goes-to.html
Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #17
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000 View Post
Oh, and the second leg games for both Houston and DC United in the opening round of the Champions Cup are on Fox Soccer Channel this Thursday, live at 7PM and 9PM.

Also online through certain channels which will not be mentioned aloud in the thread.
Old 02-28-2007, 05:16 PM   #18
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
According to the MLSZone, David Beckham has signed his first move deal. He will play an English solider in a WWI movie called Truce. The movie is of course, based around soccer. Full details here: http://themlszone.blogspot.com/2007/...r-goes-to.html

Technically he had a speaking role in "Goal" and I know he was at least in Goal 2, though I only watched the first few minutes of it.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #19
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Also online through certain channels which will not be mentioned aloud in the thread.

Can they be whispered quietly?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #20
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Technically he had a speaking role in "Goal" and I know he was at least in Goal 2, though I only watched the first few minutes of it.

I need to rent those.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #21
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle View Post
I need to rent those.

no, no you don't. and the second is in theaters in Europe right now.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:40 AM   #22
marshall881
Mascot

Emiliano is looking like a force.
It will be interesting to see if he keeps anything close to this pace up once the season starts.

Congrats to the Dynamo for locking the second leg up at home.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:34 AM   #23
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I thought the Dynamo played well. Texas A&M was a nice, cozy venue that looked much better than RFK. It was a really good choice to put it there. The Dynamo did not look like the team that won the MLS Cup last year. It going to be tough for the two MLS squads to advance.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #24
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

yeah, Houston is dragging ass right now, going to be tough for them to advance.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 03-02-2007 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:20 AM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

uh oh..

Beckham injured in Spain today.

If it's a torn MCL=Out six weeks
if it's a torn ACL=See ya in 2008
Old 03-05-2007, 10:47 AM   #26
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Those MRI results are going to be pretty damn important. *sigh*
Old 03-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Reports are right now he'll be out 4-8 weeks.. but there's nothing official out there yet
Old 03-12-2007, 08:07 AM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

Columbus and Houston got some face time on FSC this weekend, as the run-up to the season opening on April 7th continues.

I reiterate here my desire to follow the league more closely this season, and even try to get out to a Crew game with my boys sometime this season.

The Crew did not look bad at all during the first 60 minutes of this game (I got sleepy and plan to watch the final 30 minutes this evening). I can only hope that they will improve this year. They can't get much worse, and it is hampering my desire to watch any MLS. I have enough crap sports teams around here... the Blue Jackets, the Reds, the Bengals (still haven't proven themselves), the Cavaliers. We need a winner besides Ohio State to get behind, dammit!

Last edited by Butter : 03-12-2007 at 08:07 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:03 AM   #29
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It was columbus and dallas btw
Old 03-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #30
Butter
Coordinator

See how out of touch I am?!?!?!?!

Old 03-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #31
SFL Cat
College Starter

Soccer is an excellent sport to lull one to sleep...even better than baseball.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

Pre-season soccer is for sure.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:27 AM   #33
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*chuckles* Well, it was certainly a step down from the games on GolTV and Setanta this weekend.. I mean, Barcelona-Real Madrid (wotta game), Bayern Munich-Werder Bremen, AC Milan-Inter Milan.. to Dallas-Columbus preseason in front of 200 people?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:14 PM   #34
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

It looks like Mexican "star" Blanco and the Fire are getting real close to a deal. He's talented, but I really don't know how I feel about him coming to play for the Fire.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM   #35
Easy Mac

I'd kick him in the balls.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #36
Butter
Coordinator

Blanco playing in the USA? I hope he gets tackled studs up about 10 times a game.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:26 PM   #37
Easy Mac

Just so people know, the Houston-Pachuca game was moved to tomorrow night due to a power outage. Damn Mexicans and their poor electrical systems.... oh, right.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:58 AM   #38
Butter
Coordinator

Is it going to be on FSC as well? How are they working that, with the DC game also scheduled tonight?

Last edited by Butter : 03-15-2007 at 06:59 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:46 AM   #39
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Is it going to be on FSC as well? How are they working that, with the DC game also scheduled tonight?

AFAIK, it is on at 6.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #40
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Just so people know, the Houston-Pachuca game was moved to tomorrow night due to a power outage. Damn Mexicans and their poor electrical systems.... oh, right.

When i saw someone had posted in here i assumed it was a spoiler about the game so i didnt come in since hadn't watched it yet (DVRed it). So obviously this came as a bit of a surprise. Luckily i inadvertandly DVRed the 2nd half of the game yesderday, so at least i had that.

General statement about the games: If you only had time to watch one i thought the DC United - Chivas Guadalajara match was the far better of the two.

spoilers below

Good result for Houston, thought i thought it was a boring match (well, the half i saw). Gonna take a meltdown for them to blow it in the 2nd leg.

Really, really enjoyed the DC-Chivas game, as I thought the teams were both going at it pretty damn hard. I thought Chivas were the better side and I think they'll be very hard to beat at home in the 2nd leg. If I were a betting man I'd project a Chivas-Houston final.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:46 PM   #41
Easy Mac

Well, I guess we're all out of teams in the Champions Cup or whatever that was. Oh well.

Anyway, MLSLive.tv is back. $20 to watch all the games on the internet. Actually, its less games than last year, mainly because if they're FSE, ESPN or HDNet, they're not on the net.

http://web.mlsnet.com/products/

Also, USLLive is also a go, but that's like $70 for all the USL1 games.

MLS kicks off Saturday on ABC in HD. I'm having to TiVo it.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 PM   #42
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Well, I guess we're all out of teams in the Champions Cup or whatever that was. Oh well.

The ghetto champions league of CONCACAF is what it was. Winner of that tourney plays in the world club cup againt the champs of each region. Basically it would have likely meant that got at least 1 game against a real deal European or South American team.

I knew DC United was up against it going on the road tied 1-1, but that was a choke job by Houston.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #43
Easy Mac

DC-Colorado is an absolutely ugly game.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:49 PM   #44
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
DC-Colorado is an absolutely ugly game.

RBNY-Columbus was not much better. Below freezing, snow flurries, and a 0-0 scoreline. I really thought RBNY deserved to win but they just couldn't put the ball in the goal despite having a number of very solid opportunities.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #45
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Ping Foz:

Neener neener neener
Old 04-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #46
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Ping Neuqua:

We still knocked you out of the playoffs 3 out of the last 4 years. 4 out of 4 if you counted the year we beat you and kept you from MAKING the playoffs
Old 04-09-2007, 09:17 AM   #47
marshall881
Mascot

That new field in Colorado looks like a great facility on TV.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #48
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep, and the new Colorado unis look pretty nice as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:13 AM   #49
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Yep, and the new Colorado unis look pretty nice as well.

I really like their badge. I like how KSE decided to make them match all of their other properties.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #50
Easy Mac

Holy fuck, Kenny Cooper rifled a shot on the run. That thing moved 6 or 7 times in 25 yards, but it ended up spinning right into a dead footed keeper. If he had been able to place that higher, the galaxy keeper would have been beat by a mile.

oh yeah, don't forget the seemingly weekly MLS game. Also, there are torrents out there in case you missed games from the weekend.

Last edited by Easy Mac : 04-12-2007 at 09:37 PM.