Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

PING: HeavyReign....Small FBCB Suggestion

Since you're finalizing a patch...

It would be nice if, when the day's games were simmed, games involving any teams in your conference were highlighted in another color, and pushed to the top of the list. Beneath those games could be games involving Top 25 teams, then all other games underneath those. It would help give a quick look at the games that are important to us, and important on a national scale.

Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:32 AM   #2
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Wouldn't that just increase an already pretty long sim time for each game day? I can just use the provided filters if I want to see scores from my conference.

Last edited by Peregrine : 03-26-2004 at 03:32 AM.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 03:38 AM   #3
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
Wouldn't that just increase an already pretty long sim time for each game day? I can just use the provided filters if I want to see scores from my conference.
Well, I don't think the sim time is long at all. That being said, they could be sorted that way at the beginning of the day.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:43 AM   #4
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm not objecting to the feature, which I think would be neat. I just don't want to see the amount of time the game takes to process increased even more because it's essentially applying automatic filters.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:50 AM   #5
Ben E Lou

Doesn't it already apply an automatic filter to sort the games initially?
Old 03-26-2004, 04:06 AM   #6
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Not sure, I guess HR can answer that. They always seem to be in kind of a random order to me.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:40 AM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Guys, doing this would take about a flash second of computer time. You wouldn't even notice a difference in sim time. How long does it take Excel to sort a list? What makes you think it would take a whole lot longer for another basic program to do the same thing?

I think it's a great idea, SkyDog (and in fact was thinking the same thing as I was playing earlier tonight).

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 07:19 AM   #8
Ben E Lou

I didn't have the game open when I posted this, but from looking around, it appears that they are already sorted anyway. The ACC and Big Sky games always seem to be the first two sets.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:38 AM   #9
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Big Sky? They still make that?
Old 03-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #10
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

i also wonder if when you scout different recruits, if we could get a screen to show their scouted ratings and potentials and at once, and let us sort them like our roster screens

plus a filter to let us filter our scouted people to make searching for new guys a little easier
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 10:24 AM   #11
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's on three screens:

Offensive Attributes
Defensive Attributes
Potentials
Old 03-26-2004, 12:54 PM   #12
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

While this thread is on about suggestions, how about adding some "Cancel" buttons to the editing screens? Sometimes I mistype and accidentally wipe out what was in the field with no way of getting it back (unless I remember it beforehand) because once the "Exit" button is clicked, the change is permanent.

A preseason conference ranking (like the media and coaches do at their annual conference gatherings) along with a preseason All-Conference, All-American, and POY list would be something neat, especially when starting out a new game because I have no earthly idea who are the stars of the game yet.

With recruiting, perhaps another information screen could list where recruits have committed to, or if they haven't, what their Top 5 are (using abbreviations to save space on screen). I usually like to see such things and it's a PITA to have to go one-by-one rather than seeing all at a glance.

Something else to add to the editing feature is the ability to edit history. It's somewhat strange to create a coach, give him 500 wins, and yet he'll have no history to account for it. Same thing with conference and NCAA histories. It would add a neat touch to have the championship history screen list all the NCAA Final Fours and winners back to 1938.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:45 PM   #13
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

you win this round sir fozzie . . .
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #14
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

*giggles*, bouncing around.. "YA-TA!" (assumes victory pose)

Those of you who know me now are wincing at THAT picture in your mind's eye
Old 03-26-2004, 03:06 PM   #15
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

These are all great ideas, and some I've thought of in passing since playing the demo. Hopefully they're all in the next patch. I'll be buying the game soon! HUZZAH!!!
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:04 PM   #16
BishopMVP
Coordinator

One other possible idea I can't remember seeing is lock buttons on the training screen. It doesn't have to be for individual attributes (although that would be cool) but just for each player. The pace I play the game (similar to Skydog I guess) I would like to be able to adjust the training time settings for a few players, but let the computer recommend for the rest, especially walk-ons. The way it's set up now, every year I have to do the settings at least for every freshman or hit the recommend button and then go back and change what I want on the other players.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 04:11 PM   #17
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Along the same lines as the original idea. When you filter it to only show top 25 games it would be cool if they were in order by rank. So if they #1 team were playing their game would be at the top (or right below your team's). That way if you are ranked 5th you can easily see the games #1-4 are playing.
TargetPractice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 08:44 PM   #18
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

Quick question about coaching...I made the setting "hard" and set the level of points I get by default as level zero. Do I get more the more that I coach/the better I do? I think that's how it works. I'm thinking of editing my stats, as my mid-major school is 0-5 and getting hammered on D.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:48 PM   #19
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

I set mine at 7 before starting at Kentucky. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get killed because my recruiting rating just isn't high enough to get the talent we need to compete. Granted I'm in the national championship game in my first season, but I think it will take a sharp downwards turn in a coupl seasons.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:27 PM   #20
Galaril
Pro Starter

another quick suggestion

HEAVYREIGN,
I wish that the boxscores/stats for completed games showed the teams records currently.I find it hard to check some teams records.For example I was playin Boston uni and I had beaten a couple of pretty good teams but they weren't ranked in the top 25 which shows the records.I wasn't always sure what conference a team was located in to check win loss record under the standings.I would love either in the sim games screen/schedule screen it showed all the teams records for completed games or we just click a score and the game stat summarry comes up with the teams win-loss record.

Last edited by Galaril : 03-26-2004 at 09:28 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2004, 09:37 PM   #21
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
HEAVYREIGN,
I wish that the boxscores/stats for completed games showed the teams records currently.I find it hard to check some teams records.For example I was playin Boston uni and I had beaten a couple of pretty good teams but they weren't ranked in the top 25 which shows the records.I wasn't always sure what conference a team was located in to check win loss record under the standings.I would love either in the sim games screen/schedule screen it showed all the teams records for completed games or we just click a score and the game stat summarry comes up with the teams win-loss record.

Before you sim the game, it shows your opponents record. Not sure how much that helps.

Also, FWIW, I agree with Skydog's idea. I just use either the conference games or Top 25 screen depending on if I'm in the Top 25 and it would be nice to see both without having to switch screens.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:34 AM   #22
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

NOOOOOO!!!

My starting PG AND SF are both academically ineligible for the month of February! This after my team just started to click and is 6-1 in the Horizon League. NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Is there any way I can help to prevent academic problems in the future? (other than recruiting smart guys). This is the 2002-03 rosters, so it's the team I was handed. Lousy academics...is this college or something?
Old 03-27-2004, 08:18 AM   #23
The_herd
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril
HEAVYREIGN,

This would be nice for checking how the teams you played finished at the end of the season as well. The only way to do that currently is to go to each team individually to check.

Another thing that would be great is a Strength of Schedule rating.
Old 03-27-2004, 11:01 AM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I just got done playing one of my old favorite games and still killing to OOTP6. I think I will get this today. Do I assume there is some kind of instructions/manual/help file?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:12 AM   #25
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Yea', there is a help file Bucc - it's particularly nice in that it has a walkthrough for the entire season.

Check out the demo before you buy to make sure the game works fine and everything, though. It's a fully-functional 3-day trial.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:03 PM   #26
chinaski
College Prospect

*when coaching a game* - id love to be able to adjust my strat and still have the CPU run my lineups. Also, it would be helpful if there was a * next to a players name to indicate that he is a starter, in the mini boxscore on the right side.

one more, it would be great if redshirted players were highlighted in red or something (on the roster screen).

Skydogs idea, the lock boxes on the training screen/depth chart, team record in box scores and adding a cancel button on certain screens are all outstanding ideas.

viva la fbcb!
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:12 PM   #27
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Ok, I'm stuck at the beginning. I printed out the manual, set my setting, filled me as coach...now what? It tells me I'm the Assistance Coach Movement Period, but I don't have a team screen to go or anything else. What did I miss?

Sorry to hijack.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:14 PM   #28
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Go to the Coaching Staff Screen, and hire a staff.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:18 PM   #29
chinaski
College Prospect

Bucc - on the top menu, select Humans, then click teams. Your team screen will appear. click Coaching Staff, if you dont have any assistants (ass. coach, scout, recruit), then youll need to hire them. Click the Hire Staff button to select your staff.
chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 02:53 PM   #30
Buccaneer
Head Coach

When I click teams, it says "No teams available". I feel so dumb.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:56 PM   #31
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Down at the bottom, do you see "Add job" (on the "Teams" screen)? - if so, just click that, choose your team, and follow the manual from there; if not, you'll need to start over and do that before advancing any stages, then follow the manual.

Keep us updated.
Old 03-27-2004, 02:59 PM   #32
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks, that was what I missed - the 'New Job' button second over from the left.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:07 PM   #33
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

The best thing about this game is that is has Bucc playing a basketball game!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 03:14 PM   #34
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's college basketball, bub.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:28 PM   #35
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

Another idea I'd like to see (and have no idea of how difficult it would be to implement) is to be able to sort recruiting class rankings by conference so you can see how you did compared to the other teams.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 03:37 PM   #36
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel
The best thing about this game is that is has Bucc playing a basketball game!

Let me clarify. The features that attract me about a game like this is 1) recruiting, 2) conference standings, 3) bubble watch, 4) in-season tournaments, 5) post season tournaments and 6) rpi. The game they play (in this case, basketball) is nearly irrelevant. I will skip through many of the parts just to get to ones I love.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:38 PM   #37
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist
Another idea I'd like to see (and have no idea of how difficult it would be to implement) is to be able to sort recruiting class rankings by conference so you can see how you did compared to the other teams.

and stuff like this too. That's the beauty of having so many teams and conferences, there are lots of ways to see how you measure up.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:01 PM   #38
Buccaneer
Head Coach

As I am going through the initial offseason, I have found the game suffers from CM-itis in that the buttons do not direct you very well. When you click on something to accept, shouldn't one expect an apply/ok instead of an exit screen? Also, when I was filling in the unconfirmed noncon schedule, how would one know that sim month would complete that step? Other than the minor issues of operation flow (which always have been my pet peeve), so far I see the game as very complete and good to look at.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #39
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Best game I've ever seen a player have for me in FBCB

Truman Clark SF 31 minutes 17-26 FG (10-16 3 Pts) 4-5 FT 4 Ast 48 Pts

Wow
Old 03-27-2004, 07:36 PM   #40
TargetPractice6
College Benchwarmer

Yeah I have had problems with that too, Buc. I had trouble getting out of the head coach movement phase after my first season because I didn't know you had to click the button multiple times.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:57 PM   #41
BishopMVP
Coordinator

The interface was a little confusing early on, but in less than a day I got the hang of it and haven't had a problem since.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:57 PM   #42
sjshaw
lolzcat

I like this game. There is a great FOFC-affiliated multiplayer league out there. Its message board is at http://ronjuckett.com/FOFBC/index.php.

Sorry if all of you already knew about it.
Old 03-27-2004, 08:04 PM   #43
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP
The interface was a little confusing early on, but in less than a day I got the hang of it and haven't had a problem since.
Bingo. I don't really care if it is a little confusing at first, as long as an interface minimizes clicks. Anyone can memorize where everything is quickly enough anyway. My biggest issue is that I wish some things (like Top 25 ranking and "he's healed" e-mails) would pop up, so I can delete them without going all the way to the "messages" screen.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-27-2004 at 08:04 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:34 PM   #44
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP

You can say that about every single game, as long as the buttons do what they supposed to,
Old 03-27-2004, 08:35 PM   #45
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
as long as the buttons do what they supposed to,
Ghetto Buc???? Dang, what's next, are we gonna here Buc kickin' some gangsta shiznit by Pastor Troy???
Old 03-27-2004, 08:52 PM   #46
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
You can say that about every single game, as long as the buttons do what they supposed to,
I think Skydog said what I was trying to say. Once you figure it out initially, it's a fairly nice interface, a la TCY/FOF. Some games I've never felt comfortable with.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:00 PM   #47
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's what I said (or tried to). CM is a good example and I still think that the TCY interface is better than FOF5, even though both works. I've used the example of Gothic before where it was widely panned but for those actually getting into the game, it becomes so intuitive that most Gothic 2 players are even using the Gothic 1 interface! Since I do some UI design at work, I don't think I have ever found a game that I couldn't play because of the UI itself. I'm pretty tolerant in that, I guess, even though I still find some design decisions frustrating.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:56 PM   #48
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Where does it tell what the recruiting abbreviations mean?
Old 03-27-2004, 10:09 PM   #49
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Where does it tell what the recruiting abbreviations mean?

Here is a breakdown of the recruiting abbreviations. I am planning on redoing the help file once the next patch is done.

RECRUITING SCREEN

(General)

NAME: Player Name
POS: Position
HT: Height
WT: Weight
RATING: Star rating of the player
INTEREST: Interest level in your school
STATE: Home state

(Player Stats)

PTS: Points Per Game
REB: Rebounds Per Game
AST: Assists Per Game
STL: Steals Per Game
BLK: Blocks Per Game
TO: Turnovers Per Game

(Rankings)

OVL: Overall Rank
REG: Regional Rank
POS: Position Rank
R.POS: Regional Position Rank
AA: All-American (yes/no)
AS: All-State (yes/no)
MBB: Mr. Basketball (yes/no) - State Player of the Year

(Academics)

GPA: Grade Point Average
SAT: Test Score
QUAL: Qualified (yes/no)
HIGH SCHOOL: Player's high school

(Distance)

DISTANCE: The distance from your school to the player's home.
HOMETOWN: The player's hometown.

(Recruiting Actions)

CALL: Call List (yes/no)
EVAL: Evaluate Player (yes/no)
A.VISIT: Assistant Coach visit scheduled (yes/no)
H.VISIT: Head Coach visit scheduled (yes/no)
C.VISIT: Campus Visit scheduled (yes/no)
SCHOL: Offered Scholarship (yes*/yes/no) - yes: new offer / yes*: old offer

(Offensive Attributes)

INS: Inside Scoring
JPS: Jumpshot
3PS: 3-Point Shooting
HND: Ball Handling
PAS: Passing
REB: Offensive Rebounding
QKN: Quickness
STR: Strength
JMP: Jumping

(Defensive Attributes)

PSD: Post Defense
PRD: Perimeter Defense
STL: Stealing
BLK: Shot Blocking
REB: Defensive Rebounding
PFS: Fouling
QKN: Quickness
STR: Strength
JMP: Jumping

(Potentials)

INS: Inside Scoring
JPS: Jumpshot
FTS: Free Throw Shooting
3PS: 3-Point Shooting
HND: Ball Handling
PAS: Passing
ORB: Offensive Rebounding
DRB: Defensive Rebounding
PSD: Post Defense
PRD: Perimeter Defense
STL: Stealing
BLK: Shot Blocking
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 10:37 PM   #50
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

HR or anyone else who knows: Do players who are initially not qualified, sometimes become qualified as the months progress? I'm finding it's a lean year for recruiting this year and am considering going after a guy who is close to being qualified but isn't in the month of August. (I'm still at a very low prestige school so it's worth the risk if he might become qualified as the year progresses)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote