Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-19-2003, 05:57 PM   #1
Cuckoo
College Starter

Sooners announce Quarterback depth chart.

White's #1

Possibly more interesting is that Rawls is listed as #4. Hmmm...

Cuckoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 08:27 PM   #2
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

he's on his way out, you have to think
IMetTrentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:04 PM   #3
sony
High School JV

I can't believe this sh*t. Rawls is number 4 due to off field personal issues.

Grrrrrrr!!! Curse Oklahoma. They can forget about ECA players going to Oklahoma in the future.
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 10:34 PM   #4
tucker342
Pro Starter

That's stupid! If the guy is good give him a chance to prove that his personal issues won't get in the way of playing football. Give the kid a chance!
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:57 AM   #5
MrBug708
Head Coach

Maybe there is something we don't know?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 10:42 AM   #6
Airhog
Captain Obvious

My dad and I got into this discussion. We wonder if the coaches are trying to use some psychology on the kid to straighten out his act.

Otoh, he is in some very tough company. Both of the kids listed ahead of him could start nearly anywhere in the country. Rawls on the other hand has to prove himself I think.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:40 AM   #7
sooner333
College Starter

Maybe its "off-field personal issues" such as "unwilling to go to extra mile to be the starting quarterback". Look, I've been a huge Rawls supporter since the beginning of spring, I know he has what it takes physically to be the QB, and I was beginning to think he had what it took mentally. But, the coaches know better than I do. If Jason White, a former starting QB, is willing to go the extra mile to win the position, then what the hell is Rawls doing? Sometimes off-field personal issues can get in the way of practice, which gets in the way of being the best starting QB you can be on a National Championship contending football team.

By the way, I think we already got another ECS recruit, Tristen Ross. But, really, if the school is going to think that Rawls is getting hosed, then we don't need any of those recruits anyway. Then again, he may be getting hosed, and then they're right. I just trust the coaching staff to not play favorites and pick the best player for the job based on what is going on with the team. Quite frankly, these guys have never been ones to keep seniors playing over better guys underneath them. Everyone competes for the starting job with Stoops.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:49 AM   #8
tucker342
Pro Starter

If the soul reason he is that low is because of his personal issues than I think that's lame. But, if it is because the other guys are more talented than ya, he sould be that low...
tucker342 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 12:59 PM   #9
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by tucker342
If the soul reason he is that low is because of his personal issues than I think that's lame. But, if it is because the other guys are more talented than ya, he sould be that low...

I disagree. When you nearly fail three spring courses, miss summer workouts, and get busted for underage drinking, it shows the coaches that you may not be mature enough yet to lead a team in legitimate National Championship contention.

Now, I had heard that those things had been cleared up, and that he was doing much better. Apparently not. I have to agree with Mr. Bug that there is something we don't know, something that dropped the coaches' opinion of his maturity.

Hopefully, this will work in his favor, and he will rise to the challenge. He has the option to transfer or he could work even harder to prove them wrong. I sincerely hope he'll opt for the latter because he's incredibly talented, but if not, maybe it's better for OU to say good riddance to someone unwilling to work for it.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:20 PM   #10
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

"Give the kid a chance!"

thats jsut it. they have given him many, many chances to take the reigns, and each time he slacks of or does something stupid, like bereaking arm bones falling out of a truck. i think the coaches are sick of him, and his lack of motivation and work ethic

as for ECA players, most flame out in college anyway (at least the ones that go to schools i follow). texas took a bunch, and only phil geiggar panned out. although chase pittman looks promising
Old 06-20-2003, 01:22 PM   #11
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

and the guys listed ahead of him could most certainly not start for most schools. qb and dl have been the sooners achilles thus far since heupel left
Old 06-20-2003, 01:27 PM   #12
Cuckoo
College Starter

I think OU's quarterbacks are good, not great. Rawls has a chance to be great. And I agree that it has been OU's achilles heal.

But, DL? I think they've been pretty solid there, even outstanding.
Old 06-20-2003, 06:15 PM   #13
IMetTrentGreen
College Prospect

not outstanding. tommie harris had a bad year last year. he was the 13th or 14th best player on that defense. he was beaten like a drum in many games (yet, due to voter ignorance, still got frist team DT, somehow)

the guys do their jobs, but not much more. lack of pressure is why they lost to osu and a&m. lack of an ol is why texas lost to them as well. im rambling
Old 06-20-2003, 06:18 PM   #14
Cuckoo
College Starter

Maybe I should have said outstanding in talent, although you're right that they didn't always play that way.
Old 06-21-2003, 11:57 AM   #15
sooner333
College Starter

I think the outstanding potential of the DL was really showcased in the Rose Bowl. We saw Jackson really begin to stand out. They really got to Gesser. Now, Harris will be healthier, no denying that, but we'll see how much better he plays. Wilkerson leaving was pretty stupid, but at least we have two guys anchoring the ends who have experience, Cody and Jackson. The DL will be stacked as well. The talent is there, now lets see some pressure.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:43 PM   #16
sony
High School JV

Quote:
Originally posted by sooner333
By the way, I think we already got another ECS recruit, Tristen Ross. But, really, if the school is going to think that Rawls is getting hosed, then we don't need any of those recruits anyway. Then again, he may be getting hosed, and then they're right. I just trust the coaching staff to not play favorites and pick the best player for the job based on what is going on with the team. Quite frankly, these guys have never been ones to keep seniors playing over better guys underneath them. Everyone competes for the starting job with Stoops.

ECA* not ECS.. Not a big deal though And yes, Tristen Ross is also from ECA. He should be a freshman this coming year at WR.

Is he redshirting?
sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2003, 02:14 AM   #17
sooner333
College Starter

sorry about the mixup, I thought it was "school" not "academy(?)". Anyway, I'm not quite sure if he's redshirting. I do know that we had starting wideouts leave such as Fagan and Savage. But there are a lot of people up and coming, such as Will Peoples, Mark Clayton, and other guys. Usually Stoops will redshirt people unless they are first or second string. However, last year they pulled some odd moves, burning a redshirt for a few plays at the end of some non-key games...namely at WR. This would actually be a sign of not using Ross this year, however, since those guys will be playing this season. So my bet would be redshirt, but you never know...in some respects its up to the player, and its up to the coaches whether he gets any PT.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:06 PM   #18
Hijinx
Mascot

I keep hearing that Rawls is pretty much gone.

I have to think he has some real issues, in a recent interview Rawls' dad said that he knew he had to get is crap together and he hasn't gotten it done yet.

The guy I hear raves about on the defense this year is safety Donte Nicholson. He's supposed to be the real deal. This Onyenegecha (sp?) character is supposed to be something else as well, but I guess we won't hear anytime soon if he's going to play this year or not.