Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-16-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
miked
College Starter

Surface Pro 3

I couldn't really find any threads discussing this. Does anyone have one? Right now, I have an (old) iPad and I use mostly an Asus Zenbook for work. I mostly use the Zenbook for home and rarely carry it around at work (I work at 2 universities so there is some back and forth). I am looking for a hybrid but want to make sure I'm not getting just the worst part of both (a less functional laptop that is not as good a tablet). I also do some travel where I think this should work. My main uses (other than Civ) would be MS Office, some photoshop/illustrator (not tremendous) some Matlab, and a few other programs.

Anyone have good/bad things to say about this?

miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:09 PM   #2
Dutch
"Dutch"

There are still so many great laptops out there that will always beat a tablet, and so many tablets that are smaller (I guess that's a benefit?) but as far as hybrids go, the Surface does a pretty solid job of hitting the sweet spot.

Now, I'll admit I'm biased on this but I bought my wife the Surface Pro and recently the Surface Pro 3 (she's my beta tester!) and it's the best of both worlds as long as you aren't into serious gaming. I've "borrowed" them for travel and the obvious benefit there is on the airplane when I can just plop it down on my tray and watch or do whatever without much hassle. I've also used it for the Shadowrun series of games just fine.

As far as business uses (Office, E-mail, Chat, Cloud, Internet)...it's really still designed for that and it's been great to have. Being able to play games is just gravy!

A List of Playable Games For The Microsoft Surface Pro

That's a year old now...so I'm sure it's expanded with the Surface Pro 3. Just be mindful of the graphics card...it's an Intel HD Graphics 5000 in the top of the line model.

Oh, and it's one of the only laptops that don't have to come out of your bag when going through airport security (unless you have the TSA Pre-Check that is) because it's still considered a tablet!

Quote:
Tech specs

Software
Windows 8.1 Pro

Exterior
Casing: Magnesium • Color: Silver • Physical buttons: Volume, Power, Home

Dimensions
11.50 x 7.93 x 0.36 in (292.10 x 201.42 x 9.14 mm)

Weight
1.76 lbs (0.79 kg)

Hard drive size2
Solid state drive (SSD) options: 64GB, 128GB, 256GB, or 512GB

Memory
64GB or 128GB version with 4GB RAM
256GB or 512GB version with 8GB RAM

Display
Screen: 12" ClearType Full HD Display • Resolution: 2160 x 1440 • Aspect Ratio: 3:2 • Touch: Multitouch input

Processor
64GB/Intel i3 version:
4th generation Intel Core i3-4020Y 1.50 GHz with Intel HD Graphics 4200

128GB and 256GB/Intel i5 version:
4th generation Intel Core i5-4300U 1.90 GHz (with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.9GHz) with Intel HD Graphics 4400

256GB and 512GB/Intel i7 version:
4th generation Intel Core i7-4650U 1.70 GHz (with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.3 GHZ) with Intel HD Graphics 5000

TPM (Trusted Platform Module) chip for enterprise security

Wireless
802.11ac/802.11a/b/g/n

Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy technology

Battery Life
Up to 9 hours of web browsing5

Cameras and Video
5MP and 1080p HD front- and rear-facing cameras • Built-in front- and rear-facing microphones • Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound

Audio
Stereo speakers with Dolby Audio-enhanced sound

Ports
Full-size USB 3.0 • microSD card reader • Headphone jack • Mini DisplayPort • Cover port • Charging port

Sensors
Ambient light sensor • Accelerometer • Gyroscope • Magnetometer

Warranty
1-year limited hardware warranty6

Surface Pen
Dimensions: 135mm (length), 9.5mm (diameter) • Weight: 20 grams

Pre-installed Apps
Flipboard • Skype Wi-Fi • Skype • OneNote MX • Solitaire • Mahjong • Sudoku/Microsoft Number Puzzle • Fresh Paint

In the box
Surface Pro 3 • Surface Pen • 36-watt power supply • Quick Start Guide • Safety and warranty documents

Last edited by Dutch : 12-16-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Girlfriend has one. It's a very impressive little device. Only con is the price, IMHO

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
miked
College Starter

Yeah, $1500 for an i7 256gb (without the keyboard) is pretty steep. Luckily it's for work and I have some discretionary money left.
Old 12-16-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Edward64
Head Coach

I have the i5 256GB version.

-- Not playing any games on it
-- Using it as my Kindle reader
-- Powerful enough for any office type apps
-- Touchscreen is convenient when flying economy.
-- I've got the keyboard. Its not great but functional. A key popped out, MS sent me a new one
-- Battery easily lasts all day for my needs (e.g. no games)
-- The kickstand is supposedly great, but I have a cover and so don't use it
-- It already has a pretty good profile but I do wish it was a little lighter and thinner

All in all, pretty happy and enjoying it.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:20 AM   #6
Izulde
Head Coach

My Note 10.1 2014 edition became a lemon, so I seriously considered this as an option. Price point was hefty for me, though, especially when I considered I could get a quality laptop for the same money. The 64 gig is *not* worth it at all... you only have 23 gigs left over by the time all the loaded stuff is installed. I would go 128 at absolute minimum, and probably 256, if I was getting one.

So I went with the Note Pro 12.2, which I'm loving so far - plus I was able to keep all my Android games.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:21 AM   #7
Izulde
Head Coach

Oh, and when I tried out the kickstand in store, it was definitely awesome... and one of my favorite parts about the device, TBH.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 06:10 AM   #8
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm typing this up on my Surface Pro 3 right now. I love it. Over the last few years I've slowly transitioned most of my computing to using a tablet, I hardly use my desktop anymore. So for me it made sense to get the Surface because it is my tablet and "desktop" all rolled into one now.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #9
timmae
College Starter

Use my desktop as my main device but I travel quite a bit for work and use a surface for email, excel and word docs. Syncs up with my desktop seamlessly and remote connections have not failed at all. Greta for browsing the web also. Overall very pleased although I only use it for a few hours every few days.
Old 12-17-2014, 08:38 AM   #10
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have a Surface Pro 2 and it's fantastic, I can only imagine the larger screen of the 3 would make it even better. Civ 5 works really well with the touch controls.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #11
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I got the Pro 3 as an early Christmas present and I like it a lot so far. I got the slightly more expensive i5/256 GB/8 GB version. (It just is nice to be able to have a laptop that can do just about anything, yet be a tablet that can also just about do anything. Granted, the Microsoft app store isn't extensive, but hopefully that will improve over time. I don't have Office on here yet, but I'll probably get it at some point. I don't expect to play super graphical games on it, but it's already better than my old HP i7 laptop that pretty much overheated anytime I tried to do something other than surf the web.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #12
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I would have a Surface Pro 3 if it cost about half what it did. At the price point it's at, tho, I'd rather have an Ultrabook. But instead I just didn't spend nearly as much and got a much more powerful laptop

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #13
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

My business partner is thinking of getting a SP3 - well getting one for him and one for me.

Any recommendations on how much storage?

Didn't we have someone here who could get us nice deals on them?
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 03:26 PM   #14
Dutch
"Dutch"

Good luck getting anything other than a $100 off and maybe a protective case. Those prices are locked in stone!
Old 12-27-2014, 03:28 PM   #15
Dutch
"Dutch"

And I would definitely recommend either the 256GB or 512GB models...64GB and 128GB are soooo yesterday. And that space will fill up fast.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:31 PM   #16
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
And I would definitely recommend either the 256GB or 512GB models...64GB and 128GB are soooo yesterday. And that space will fill up fast.

Even if we're not storing much on it?

I mean - all of our work documents are stored on a server that we VPN into.

I can see my partner maybe storing some music on it (although really he uses a lot of streaming music I think), but not a lot more. Me myself, I could be fine with it if it did nothing more than work stuff, web surfing, and FM.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:42 PM   #17
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I looked hard at these.. instead I bought my wife a Lenovo Yoga 2 tablet, which also comes with a keyboard. We love it.

I also got her a 32 sim card to take it to 64 GB and a micro to usb otg cable so she can use her wireless mouse my daughter got her for Christmas. I'm really impressed with it.

Best buy had it for $299, quite the bang for the buck!
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Even if we're not storing much on it?

I mean - all of our work documents are stored on a server that we VPN into.

I can see my partner maybe storing some music on it (although really he uses a lot of streaming music I think), but not a lot more. Me myself, I could be fine with it if it did nothing more than work stuff, web surfing, and FM.

I've got the 64gb version and space hasn't been an issue personally. There is also the micro SD slot if you need more space (I've got a 64gb card in there, though I haven't put anything on it yet).

Keep in mind also that the 64gb version has the i3 processor while the others are i5/i7. Again, this hasn't been an issue at all for me but I figured it was worth mentioning. Given what you described I think the 64gb model would work for you. Unless you plan to do run some intensive software or lots of gaming.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:39 PM   #19
Dutch
"Dutch"

Gotcha, my Surface Pro 1 had 64GB and I churned through that quick...but if you don't plan to store a lot of crap on it, now that's a different story altogether.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #20
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah - I wonder if the i5 model is a better bet as far as future-proofing a little. Has a bit more RAM too, ya know?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #21
miked
College Starter

Ended up going with the i5, 256 GB storage. The i7 was about $250-300 more and I read reviews that stated it ran hotter (lots of throttling) and the performance for what I needed would not be much better. Ended up getting it on a one day say but the prices seem pretty fixed (when it goes on sale one place, it does so everywhere).
Old 12-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #22
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah - I wonder if the i5 model is a better bet as far as future-proofing a little. Has a bit more RAM too, ya know?

Looks like you need to go 256
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:07 PM   #23
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Looks like you need to go 256

Yeah. I think the i5 8gb might be the way to go, and like you seem to be saying, I think (IIRC, not looking at this very moment) that's the 256gb one.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #24
Comey
College Starter

I have the Pro 2 now (got it for Christmas). Love it. It fits all my billing.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:34 PM   #25
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Played with them at the MS store at the mall just now.

Love the pen - that seems like a real cool touch.
Didn't think the keyboard was bad (read a lot of "eh" things about it).

Thinking it'll get the green light at some point soon from work. We're just trying to work through potentially separating our 1 non-partner employee at the moment first.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #26
Edward64
Head Coach

Forgot about the pen. Yes, one of the best features. It really writes, I use it to take notes in meetings all the time.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 02:20 PM   #27
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Forgot about the pen. Yes, one of the best features. It really writes, I use it to take notes in meetings all the time.

I think I'll really like it for that - and maybe my partner will even use it for that, which would be awesome, since he writes horribly and then forces our poor admin lady to try to decipher it and type up his notes. LOL
Old 12-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #28
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I got a SP3 for Christmas (A week or two early), 64GB model with keyboard and I love it. I am completely in the cloud with most of my data and I have FM14, OOTP15 and Shadowrun Returns, it plays them all just fine.

It is lightweight, easy to carry around and use. Microsoft did this right, and I do hate the price point but the 64GB was on sale when I got it. So with Keyboard, Mouse, SD Card, Travel case I was out of Best Buy for $1000

But honestly, I wouldn't trade this for anything else now that I have been using it for 3 weeks
Old 12-30-2014, 02:59 PM   #29
miked
College Starter

Got mine yesterday, pretty decent except there is an issue where it keeps shutting down when not plugged in. Has battery and says it's fully charged, so I'll likely send it back. I like the overall design, but Microsoft customer support blows.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:12 PM   #30
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It's definitely more of a "ultrabook" than a tablet though right, fair to say? Is there any using of it like a tablet, like say one would use an iPad to read books or magazines or Flipboard or anything?
Old 12-30-2014, 03:24 PM   #31
miked
College Starter

Sure, it's going to be heavier than a traditional tablet, but I used it (plugged in) a little as a tablet. The keyboard is ok (the surface one that goes with it) but feels a little flimsy. It's good for traveling, carrying around to meetings, etc.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:32 PM   #32
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I don't see why you wouldn't use it in tablet mode. It's one of the selling points, IMO.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #33
miked
College Starter

Right, it's pretty useful as a tablet as most of the "apps" like Firefox can be pinned to the start menu and accessed pretty easy. Surface does not have a lot of apps like an iPad, but I think it's useless unless it's being used as a tablet.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #34
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Right, it's pretty useful as a tablet as most of the "apps" like Firefox can be pinned to the start menu and accessed pretty easy. Surface does not have a lot of apps like an iPad, but I think it's useless unless it's being used as a tablet.

Fair enough. I would hope I could use it as a tablet too - I think I need to go home and look at the windows app marketplace to get a feel for what's in there.

When push comes to shove most people use such a limited number of apps (and even fewer on tablets I think) that I don't imagine that being a killer issue.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #35
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Alright, so I've got one of them opened and I'm messing around with it, I guess to make sure that I like it before I open up the second one for myself. That way if I don't like it I can return one and just set this one up again for my partner. I can see how it will be hugely useful on the road and make us more productive - the ability to run full-scale windows in a package this small is wicked nice.

That being said - as an everyday tablet replacement it still feels a bit funny - I suppose I'm just not used to it yet, and so far I've been living mostly within the standard Windows environment and using things like Chrome in windowed mode so I can easily alt-tab rather than using it as a fullscreen app (like one would do on an IPad for example), so while that's an advantage in a lot of ways it just feels un tablet-like.

Then again, like I said - how many apps does the typical person use anyways.

I guess the other thing you're supposed to realize is that with a full windows OS on it you don't need for example, a separate app customized for say Vanguard, or your bank account, because you can just pull those up in your browser window like you would on a regular desktop hmm?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-01-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:41 PM   #36
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Then again, like I said - how many apps does the typical person use anyways.

I guess the other thing you're supposed to realize is that with a full windows OS on it you don't need for example, a separate app customized for say Vanguard, or your bank account, because you can just pull those up in your browser window like you would on a regular desktop hmm?

Eh? With my Nexus 7, I use apps all the time. I'd much rather use the Wells Fargo app than go to the Wells Fargo webpage. I think the point of tablets is to use apps rather than go to webpages. Apps are definitely very important - for most people I think.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:02 PM   #37
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Eh? With my Nexus 7, I use apps all the time. I'd much rather use the Wells Fargo app than go to the Wells Fargo webpage. I think the point of tablets is to use apps rather than go to webpages. Apps are definitely very important - for most people I think.

It's different from a regular Android or iOS tablet.

It's not a pure tablet I'd say - I mean you boot the thing up and you can go straight into a windows desktop like it's a laptop.

I dunno - or maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into liking it. LOL

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-01-2015 at 05:04 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:06 PM   #38
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Android tablets have the same Chrome as my desktop does though.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:17 PM   #39
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Android tablets have the same Chrome as my desktop does though.

I know that. I'm not an idiot.

I suppose it depends on what you're using it for.

If I want to just check my account balance at Vanguard, then yes, the app is easier. If I actually want to like...do stuff with it though, odds are I'm going to opt for the browser anyways.

Like I said though, maybe I'm just trying to figure out a rationalization for liking this thing.

I can totally see how it'll make productivity for business skyrocket, but for more "tablety" things it seems a bit odd at the moment. Maybe I just need to mess with it this weekend though, watch some netflix, read some flipboard, etc.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:25 PM   #40
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

::shrug::

I've never once used Wells Fargo on Chrome on my tablet (or phone), even while transferring money, etc.

I'll always pick an app over a chrome page if I have the chance, tbh. Well, unless the app sucks.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #41
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I've never once used Wells Fargo on Chrome on my tablet (or phone), even while transferring money, etc.

I'll always pick an app over a chrome page if I have the chance, tbh. Well, unless the app sucks.

There are a lot of sucky apps out there.

Maybe you're just lucky and never have to use any of them?
Old 01-01-2015, 05:36 PM   #42
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Sounds like we have a classic debate going on. Similiar to the gaming blueprint: PlayStation, Xbox, or PC Gaming?

Apple, Android, or Internet BYOD?
Old 01-01-2015, 05:39 PM   #43
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

It's not like there aren't any apps for it. I've downloaded a bunch.

Was just more of a general observation I guess.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #44
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the point is that if you aren't really going to use the tablet capabilities, the Surface Pro 3 is just an overpriced touch laptop. Tablet stuff makes it worth the price you pay for it.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:21 PM   #45
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the point is that if you aren't really going to use the tablet capabilities, the Surface Pro 3 is just an overpriced touch laptop. Tablet stuff makes it worth the price you pay for it.

Well sure. And there's tablet stuff to do with it for sure. I'm just...trying to conceptualize how I'm going to use it as a tablet I guess.

Trying to talk myself through it because if I can't figure out how usable it is to me as a tablet then yes, it's like you said, and it would just make more sense to give the open one to my partner and return the unopened one.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-01-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:22 PM   #46
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Trying to talk myself through it because if I can't figure out how usable it is to me as a tablet then yes, it's like you said, and it would just make more sense to give the open one to my partner and return the unopened one.

I think this would make sense. Unless you REALLY are into the pen capabilities. Otherwise, I'd say use your money on a cheaper, just as powerful laptop, and save your business some cash.
Old 01-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #47
JimboJ
High School Varsity

There have been studies that show that people with these 2-in-1 laptops use them 90% of the time as traditional laptops. I think this is mostly out of habit, but also because the selection of windows apps is just not there with android and iOS yet.

I bought the Lenovo Yoga 2 13", $900 at Best Buy.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lenovo-y...&skuId=6071000

It's a nice laptop on its own, even if that's all you ever use it for. But it's also extremely versatile for those times you don't want to use it as a traditional laptop. I really like using it in stand mode on my lap for playing touch screen games and watching Netflix.

Last edited by JimboJ : 01-01-2015 at 06:49 PM.
JimboJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 06:47 PM   #48
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think this would make sense. Unless you REALLY are into the pen capabilities. Otherwise, I'd say use your money on a cheaper, just as powerful laptop, and save your business some cash.

That would be the other option (although actually I have the laptop so I don't even need one). I am about due for an upgrade to my tablet though, so if I can figure how to use it as a tablet in my life then I'll hold on to it. I'll give it thru Sunday to fiddle with it.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:15 PM   #49
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboJ View Post
There have been studies that show that people with these 2-in-1 laptops use them 90% of the time as traditional laptops. I think this is mostly out of habit, but also because the selection of windows apps is just not there with android and iOS yet.

I think that's part of it, but also because 2-in-1 tend to be a little bit too heavy to really use as tablets. The Surface Pro line was somewhat meant to solve that problem by making the keyboard detachable and making the tablet part as thin as possible.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #50
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Picked up a lightly used SP3 on eBay tonight. I probably should have waited for the prices to come down a little bit, but that's why I went used. I am looking forward to it quite a bit, mostly for writing notes at work and lounging at home. I am a little afraid it is going to make my newer laptop obsolete, but we'll see about that.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote