Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-01-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Justice O'Connor Is Retiring

More later...
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I'm riveted.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:40 AM   #3
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If there is one thing this country needs, it's another partisan issue to help tear us apart. This could be just the ticket.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:52 AM   #4
RendeR
Coordinator

*duct tapes his mouth shut on this one*
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:55 AM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

She's been a good justice and has had a nice run, I think. Too bad people don't know the meaning of the term moderate conservative any more, or they could replace her with another one.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
vtbub
College Starter

The current Attorney General, Gonzales?

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 09:59 AM   #7
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Is Renquist gonna wait till he dies? Why doesn't he retire now also?

Last edited by wbatl1 : 07-01-2005 at 09:59 AM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #8
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I think that A) Rehnquist is a tough old coot and B) He places a lot of importance on the independence of the federal judiciary, and he may not be too happy with the current "Bash the judges" tone of Congress.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
KWhit
Coordinator

Wow. That was unexpected.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:01 AM   #10
Swaggs
Coordinator

Sweet.

The news channels have got their splash screen graphics for the next 8 months now.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:02 AM   #11
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbub

I guess that would explain some of the trial-ballooning that's been going on with him. WH probably had some advance knowledge that O'Connor was out after the term finished.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #12
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:

Several (political) questions go into who it will be:

Will it be a Hispanic?
Will it be a Woman?
Will it be a "Conservative" (Justice Scalia mold) or a "Republican" (Chief Justice Rehenquist mold)?
Will it be a moderate who will probably get confirmed without much trouble?
Will it be an extremist who may not get confirmed, but whose presence will re-energize the Neocon Christian base?

It's a big moment for a President whose immediate popularity and long term legacy could be shaped in a major way by the way that this plays out. It's also a big moment for a Democratic party that needs to demonstrate that it is both still relevant and in touch with the people.

And it's a damn shame that appointing these Justices has become so political. It's not good for America in any way.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:18 AM   #13
wbatl1
High School Varsity

I think he'll "have" to nominate a women, for at least one of the two probable openings.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:20 AM   #14
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

If Bush follows what he has done so far, look for the most extreme conservative lightining rod, and he'll get the nomination. John Ashcroft possibly?
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Please don't do that HJS ... you made my heart skip a beat with excitement.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:25 AM   #16
Jon
High School Varsity

Appointing Justices have always been political. Presidents make picks to eliminate rivals (both past and potential), award constituencies, to enforce their political legacies, or be an ass (See Nixon and several of his picks). Supreme Court justices are politicians who wear black robes appointed by politicians. The coverage has gotten more intense.

(BTW, Bork is on CNN whining.)

Last edited by Jon : 07-01-2005 at 10:34 AM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:33 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Yeah, no chance in Hell. Even some Republicans in the Senate are sqeamish about his 'torture' memo.
Old 07-01-2005, 10:43 AM   #18
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit
Wow. That was unexpected.

Not really. I believe she has (or has just gotten over having) cancer.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #19
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He should nominate McCain.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:54 AM   #20
Airhog
Captain Obvious

Nah, I think good ole Dean would do this country some good.

Abortion? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH
Copywrite infringement? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Etc...

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 10:56 AM   #21
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

time to stack the courts!
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:00 AM   #22
larrymcg421
Head Coach

This is scary. Really, really scary.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:12 AM   #23
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

Nuclear Option....RELOADED!

Last edited by CHEMICAL SOLDIER : 07-01-2005 at 11:12 AM.
CHEMICAL SOLDIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:27 AM   #24
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Did you know that anyone can be nominated to the Supreme Court, that they don't even have to be a judge or have any law training whatsoever? Following in the same vein as nominating Bolton to the UN (i.e., the most insane choice available), my guess is that Bush nominated James Dobson.
MrBigglesworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:47 AM   #25
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I wouldn't want to be a "moderate" Republican (whatever that means anymore), right now.

Here's the way it's going to go:

1. Bush nominates someone who's unacceptable to Democrats.

2. Democrats filibuster the nomination.

3. "Nuclear Option" brou-ha-ha all over again.

4. Cloture votes fail.

5. Majority Leader Frist moves to amend Senate rules to remove filibuster.

And then? Who knows.... Will enough Republicans vote to save the filibuster? I think it's way too close to call.

If the Nuclear Option succeeds (i.e. enough Senate Republicans vote to remove the filibuster), then the outcome is pretty straightforward: a conservative replaces O'Connor and a conservative replaces Rhenquist, who I'm certain will retire before the next Presidency. The other moderate/liberal Justices hang on for dear life.

Of course, with two more conservatives on the bench, I'd expect a reversal of a lot of landmark cases. Obviously Roe, but plenty of others. The affects of this outcome will reverberate for decades, easily.

Less predictable, though, is the affect this will have on American politics. I would think, though, that this would be a heavy blow to the power of Senate Democrats. I think, with the filibuster effectively gone, the Senate will become more like the House, in that the Majority (likely to be Republican for the forseeable future) will hold a death grip on most votes.

If the Nuclear Option fails (i.e., the "moderate" Senate Republicans hang tough), it gets distinctly less predictable. I think the most likely outcome in this case is that Bush nominates a candidate who's still conservative, but also has traits (a woman, a hispanic, etc...) that make it very difficult, politically, for the Moderate Republicans to vote against. Eventually, as with previous Presidents, a justice will get through.

Regardless, this is a sad day for Progressives.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #26
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Roe will not be reversed if O'Connor and Rehnquist leave. IT still leaves a 5 person Roe majority on the court (Kennedy, Stevens, Souter, Breyer, and Ginsburg). Roe (or Casey, which is the case that upheld Roe) isn't in jeopardy until Stevens leaves the court, and at this rate, I think he's gonna stay on the court until he literally drops in chambers.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:51 AM   #27
dacman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Not really. I believe she has (or has just gotten over having) cancer.

Uh, nope. Renquist is the one with cancer. O'Conner had breast cancer, but that was many years ago.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:54 AM   #28
larrymcg421
Head Coach

dola

Alot of people are mistaken that if Roe is overturned, suddenly abortion would be outlawed. That is not the case. It would simply remove any hindrance to states banning abortion. I imagine abortion would still be legal in many states, and people will simply have to travel further to have an abortion done.

Old 07-01-2005, 11:56 AM   #29
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
Nuclear Option....RELOADED!

It's pronounced Nu-cu-ler you dolt.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:02 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'll just work from the (somewhat naive) belief that these thumbnails are accurate
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050701/D8B2MVGO0.html

Based on these, I'm going to hope for either:
Michael McConnell (need to know more than just his abortion & church/state positions) or J. Harvie Wilkinson III ( who I think might easily move ahead of McConnell as my top choice).

Of course, my hoping for them means that there's about a 0% chance that either of them will even wind up on the short-shortlist.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-01-2005 at 12:03 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:30 PM   #31
kcchief19
Pro Starter

From a political standpoint, conventional wisdom would suggest that anyone other than a white male will be the pick. With Ginsburg on the court, there's no press to replace O'Connor with another woman and with Thomas there will be no pressure to make an African-American. That leaves a Hispanic as the most likely target, especially since Bush and his crop of advisors have made recruiting Hispanic voters a priority. As noted above, it would also explain the trial balloons of Gonzalez's name around in the media.

That said, my gut tells me HomerJ is right. When given the choice to appoint a conservative that Democrats can live with or a divisive conservative, Bush has almost without fail gone with stirring the pot to push the agenda. Gonzalez would be a pretty each confirmation. Sure, there would be lots of fireworks and lots of stuff thrown to the wall to see if it sticks, but too many Democrats with strong support from Hispanics won't want to oppose his nomination.

I think he'd also revel in the possibility of putting the hammer to McCain's judges deal.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:32 PM   #32
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Keep in mind that a Rehnquist retirement is pretty likely, either shortly or in a few months. It will be interesting how the WH chooses to do this. Gonzalez now and an easy confirmation (relatively) and then a firebrand to replace Rehnquist? The other way around? Something else?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #33
vtbub
College Starter

I think Gonzalez this time and probably McConnel for Rehinquist. Bush will need to stand tall when he tries to make Scalia or Thomas Chief Justice.

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:49 PM   #34
larrymcg421
Head Coach

McConnell and Gonzalez would be a bad combo for the ultra right wingers. They want Brown or Owen. Both McConnell and Gonzalez, for the most part, are at the very least center right, and I'd bet they'd be pretty close to Justice Kennedy. That would be the best combo for the Democrats, so I doubt it will happen.

Old 07-01-2005, 12:59 PM   #35
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

According to CNN (what do they know?), Frank Easterbrook, brother of TMQ's Gregg Easterbrook, is in the running.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:01 PM   #36
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I don't think it will be McConnell, but I feel pretty strongly Gonzalez will get a shot. It's a good move for Bush for the Hispanic voters, he's close friends with him, and they've been making a lot of noise behind the scenes about it. The other person would be more hard-right, maybe that judge out of Texas, Edith Jones I think?
Old 07-01-2005, 01:19 PM   #37
wbatl1
High School Varsity

I've been hearing on the radio that Gonzolez is not conservative enough, and that many right wingers will not back his nomination and it will fail. However, he may be nominated if an ultra-conservative is to be nominated later. I think the nomination for O'Connor's spot has to be a least a little bit more toward the center, because she was the moderate voice on the Court. The Democrats will fight hard against a hardline right winger to replace the "swing" vote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #38
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
According to CNN (what do they know?), Frank Easterbrook, brother of TMQ's Gregg Easterbrook, is in the running.

If he's anything like his brother we'll be seeing the longest Supreme Court opinions ever. But at least they'd be entertaining.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:43 PM   #39
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I could care less whether the judges are liberal or conservative politically, I want a strict constructionist on the Supreme Court.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #40
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
If there is one thing this country needs, it's another partisan issue to help tear us apart. This could be just the ticket.

I was thinking the same thing when I read this. Not what I was expecting.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:50 PM   #41
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1
I've been hearing on the radio that Gonzolez is not conservative enough, and that many right wingers will not back his nomination and it will fail.
If that is the case, then it would be really hard for him to even make it out of committee. The Dems are looking for a moderate conservative, but those torture memos may be too much for most of them.

I think it is becoming less and less likely that the GOP will really vote down the fillibuster. The abysmal polling numbers have I think scared a bunch of them into the revelation that they might not be in the majority forever. Add to that that Frist is an emasculated leader, that the majority whip (Santorum) is facing a popular conservative Democrat in the next election so he can't be as reactionary as he has been (he even was one of the few GOPers that said that Rove did not speak for him when Rove called all liberals traitors), and that Bush could be the earliest lame duck in history, and there could be a lot of fracturing of the GOP.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:53 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
From a political standpoint, conventional wisdom would suggest that anyone other than a white male will be the pick. With Ginsburg on the court, there's no press to replace O'Connor with another woman and with Thomas there will be no pressure to make an African-American. That leaves a Hispanic as the most likely target, especially since Bush and his crop of advisors have made recruiting Hispanic voters a priority. As noted above, it would also explain the trial balloons of Gonzalez's name around in the media.

That said, my gut tells me HomerJ is right. When given the choice to appoint a conservative that Democrats can live with or a divisive conservative, Bush has almost without fail gone with stirring the pot to push the agenda. Gonzalez would be a pretty each confirmation. Sure, there would be lots of fireworks and lots of stuff thrown to the wall to see if it sticks, but too many Democrats with strong support from Hispanics won't want to oppose his nomination.

I think he'd also revel in the possibility of putting the hammer to McCain's judges deal.

I was thinking the same hting, that a Hispanic member of the court would be the next "logical" choice and that the Democrats will let Gonzalez go and won't oppose it.

It just makes sense and I don't think he accepts AG without Bush basically letting him know that it's not "if" he gets on the court, it's "when."
Old 07-01-2005, 01:55 PM   #43
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
and that Bush could be the earliest lame duck in history, and there could be a lot of fracturing of the GOP.

I really think that Bush screwed up when he stuck with Cheney. When you have a VP that has higher aspirations, it helps keep the party in line, because everyone does not immediately start campaigning for the next set of primaries.

With a wide open field for the next GOP nominee, every one is jockying for position.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:00 PM   #44
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
I could care less whether the judges are liberal or conservative politically, I want a strict constructionist on the Supreme Court.

How strict are you talking about? Would you support overturning Brown v. Board, Miranda v. Arizona, Gideon v. Wainwright?

Old 07-01-2005, 02:35 PM   #45
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
I was thinking the same hting, that a Hispanic member of the court would be the next "logical" choice and that the Democrats will let Gonzalez go and won't oppose it.

Clarence Thomas.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:43 PM   #46
Franklinnoble
Banned

Why do liberals freak out at the notion of a conservative justice or two on the Supreme Court?

Are the concepts of moral fortitude and personal accountability really so vile?

Last edited by Franklinnoble : 07-01-2005 at 02:44 PM.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #47
MrBigglesworth
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinnoble
Why do liberals freak out at the notion of a conservative justice or two on the Supreme Court?

Are the concepts of moral fortitude and personal accountability really so vile?
For one, your original premise is flawed, as there are already numerous conservative justices on the court. Weren't at least 6 of them appointed by the GOP?

Secondly, your 'moral fortitude' sucks, and is in no way moral to me.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:48 PM   #48
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigglesworth
For one, your original premise is flawed, as there are already numerous conservative justices on the court. Weren't at least 6 of them appointed by the GOP?

Secondly, your 'moral fortitude' sucks, and is in no way moral to me.

It's not about me, but thanks for making it personal.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:51 PM   #49
larrymcg421
Head Coach

There are already three conservative justices on the court, two liberal justices, and four centrists (Kennedy and O Connor being right of center, Breyer and Souter being left of center). I won't have a problem if O' Connor and Rehnquist are replaced with likeminded justices, but I fear Bush will go to the right of both of them.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #50
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421
There are already three conservative justices on the court, two liberal justices, and four centrists (Kennedy and O Connor being right of center, Breyer and Souter being left of center). I won't have a problem if O' Connor and Rehnquist are replaced with likeminded justices, but I fear Bush will go to the right of both of them.

Ok... but what's the fear? What are they really going to do to make your life so miserable that you're actually afraid of it? Seriously... I want to know.