Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-07-2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Warning! Politics Ahead!

An amazing new book is out written by a New York college professor named Thomas Woods. The book is called "A Politically Incorrect Guide to American History." Anyone, left or right, that is tired of drinking the cool-aid set forth by our modernist approach to government might want to find out what our founders REALLY intended. In particular, Thomas Jefferson, who thought that the Supreme Court being the only and final authority on Constitutional matters was a really, really bad idea (and he's right, of course.) Those wanting a quick education in what your not being told by the powers and media that be should check it out. Read the reviews on Amazon.com.

Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It's Kool-aid.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
It's Kool-aid (TM).

Fixed that for you
Old 03-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #4
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight
It's Kool-aid.

The drink or the book?
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Thomas Woods - Suuuuupper Genius. I like the sound of that.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Just funnin around Bubba

That and wondering if I can take a hacksaw to my $@_$&@& arm. Welcome to month 2 of pain :/
Old 03-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
Fixed that for you

Yeah, thanks. Its been a few years since I've seen the package with the word on it.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:34 PM   #8
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

of course, Thomas Woods has also been accused of being a neo-confederate secessionist. He's a founding member of the League of the South, a group which says
Quote:
The League of the South asserts that Southern society is radically different from the society impressed upon it by an alien occupier. American society today is egalitarian and Marxist and is devoid of any grace or charm.
and
Quote:
To be truly free and self- governing, the South must throw off the yoke of imperial oppression. Therefore, The League of the South advocates the secession and subsequent independence of the Southern States from this forced union and the formation of a Southern republic.

(edit: forgot this gem):
Quote:
The League seeks to protect the historic Anglo-Celtic core culture of the South because the Scots, Irish, Welsh, and English have given Dixie its unique institutions and civilisation. Should the Christian, Anglo-Celtic core be displaced, then the South would cease to be recognisable to us and our progeny. We must maintain this all-important link to our European heritage from which we have drawn our inspiration. Anglo-Celtic Southerners and their European cousins have a duty to protect that which our ancestors bequeathed us. If we will not promote our own interests, no one will do it for us.
Now, it may be just me... but I'm going to take Professor Woods' book on American history with just a few grains of salt.

I've actually been reading "A Patriot's History of the United States" by Professor Larry Schweikart and Professor Michael Allen. It's a little dry (they actually wrote it as a teaching text), but it's pretty darn good.

Last edited by CamEdwards : 03-07-2005 at 01:37 PM.
CamEdwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels
An amazing new book is out written by a New York college professor named Thomas Woods. The book is called "A Politically Incorrect Guide to American History." Anyone, left or right, that is tired of drinking the cool-aid set forth by our modernist approach to government might want to find out what our founders REALLY intended. In particular, Thomas Jefferson, who thought that the Supreme Court being the only and final authority on Constitutional matters was a really, really bad idea (and he's right, of course.) Those wanting a quick education in what your not being told by the powers and media that be should check it out. Read the reviews on Amazon.com.

Have you actually read this book cover to cover or did you just hear about it on some whacky christian radio station or worldnetdaily.com?

By the way, what ever happened to the christian prophet you touted last year who warned that aliens were going to strike the western US in 2004 with the complicity of the vatican and various world governments? http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=22070
yabanci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 01:53 PM   #10
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

and the thread has officially started rolling downhill...
Old 03-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
The book sounds pretty gimmicky and the author appears to be a whack-job, but what's with the un-needed insult toward Christians?

He didn't insult Christians, he insulted "whacky" Christians.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:59 PM   #12
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabanci
Have you actually read this book cover to cover or did you just hear about it on some whacky christian radio station or worldnetdaily.com?

The book sounds pretty gimmicky and the author appears to be a whack-job, but what's with the un-needed insult toward Christians?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:00 PM   #13
Cuckoo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
and the thread has officially started rolling downhill...

I'm surprised it took that long.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:02 PM   #14
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
In particular, Thomas Jefferson, who thought that the Supreme Court being the only and final authority on Constitutional matters was a really, really bad idea (and he's right, of course.)

But that is why the Legislative Branch has the authority to amend the Constitution. All the Supreme Court has the power to do is determine if a law is Constitutional or not. It cannot legislate law. Also, we do have the power to impeach judges. Although, that power is not widely used.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:06 PM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer
But that is why the Legislative Branch has the authority to amend the Constitution. All the Supreme Court has the power to do is determine if a law is Constitutional or not. It cannot legislate law. Also, we do have the power to impeach judges. Although, that power is not widely used.

It's like a gleaming beacon of truth, in a vast ocean of nonsense.

But I was warned, so I can't complain.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #16
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards
of course, Thomas Woods has also been accused of being a neo-confederate secessionist. He's a founding member of the League of the South, a group which says

and

(edit: forgot this gem):

Now, it may be just me... but I'm going to take Professor Woods' book on American history with just a few grains of salt.

I've actually been reading "A Patriot's History of the United States" by Professor Larry Schweikart and Professor Michael Allen. It's a little dry (they actually wrote it as a teaching text), but it's pretty darn good.

I'm not a South-basher, but couldn't you just about see the crosses burning in the background as the author made those statements?
HomerJSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #17
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I feel insulted by this characterization of my post. Let's all hold hands and feel insulted and persecuted together.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:10 PM   #18
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:

By the way, what ever happened to the christian prophet you touted last year who warned that aliens were going to strike the western US in 2004 with the complicity of the vatican and various world governments? http://dynamic2.gamespy.com/~fof/for...ad.php?t=22070

I saw Professor Woods speak on C-Span over the weekend. You can take issue with his beliefs in general, but when he quotes those who wrote and signed the Constitution then its a little hard to say he's making it all up.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:13 PM   #19
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer

Jefferson advocated the doctrine of 'nullification." If the courts attempted to impose Federalist doctrine on the states against their will, then the states were fully justified in ignoring the federal courts alltogether. This is Thomas Jefferson, so consider the source.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 03-07-2005 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #20
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
Maybe the fact that you cannot differentiate between fact and speculation adds to your confusion.
Based on your history here, Bubba, I'm not sure you're the one to be instructing anyone on how to differentiate between fact and speculation.
NoMyths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #21
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Well said, Quik. One might be more apt to point out John C. Calhoun's support for nullification, being as how it played a more important role than Jefferson's feelings...though I'm not sure that Bubba would be as interested in taking Calhoun's side of the fence.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #22
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:

Coast to Coast stuff I find interesting, may even pass something along if its unusual (check out the stuff on the dead and dying microbiologists at the Universities world-wide.) But its not stuff that was written by the creators of the U.S. Constitution. Maybe the fact that you cannot differentiate between fact and speculation adds to your confusion.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #23
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Jefferson advocated the doctrine of 'nullification." If the courts attempted to impose Federalist doctrine on the states against their will, then the states were fully justified in ignoring the federal courts alltogether. This is Thomas Jefferson, so consider the source.

And where does this appear in the document that each and every state actually ratified?

It's fine to amuse yourself with what a minority view might have held at one poitn or another, but how does this actually become history (as suggested by the thread)? Huistory dutifully records what a variety of different people thought would be best as things were beindg debated and discussed, and then when it was all resolved, like it or not, a fairly federalist approach was ultimately adopted.

I have plenty of respect for Thomas Jefferson. But his failed argument on something isn't history. It's trivia.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:19 PM   #24
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

And Jesus F-ing Christ, but this time stamp bug is ruining this board.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #25
rkmsuf
Head Coach

The politics are dancing. The politics are ohh feeling good.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #26
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
I'm not a South-basher, but couldn't you just about see the crosses burning in the background as the author made those statements?

So Thomas Jefferson, among others, was a KKK cross-burning right wing nutjob? Interesting.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:20 PM   #27
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Nice try, trying to put Thomas Woods's words into Thomas Jefferson's mouth. Do you deliberately try to misunderstand Bubba?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:22 PM   #28
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
That may, indeed, be the final and lasting legacy of the U.S. Civil War (Federalism trumps State-rights over all). But it is still something worth exploring and discussing to weigh the consequences. Hardly trivia.
The "final and lasting legacy"? You mean, besides the whole emancipation thing?

'sides, that debate was being resolved economically and technologically well before the Civil War kicked off the military part of the program.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #29
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
And where does this appear in the document that each and every state actually ratified?

It's fine to amuse yourself with what a minority view might have held at one poitn or another, but how does this actually become history (as suggested by the thread)? Huistory dutifully records what a variety of different people thought would be best as things were beindg debated and discussed, and then when it was all resolved, like it or not, a fairly federalist approach was ultimately adopted.

I have plenty of respect for Thomas Jefferson. But his failed argument on something isn't history. It's trivia.

That may, indeed, be the final and lasting legacy of the U.S. Civil War (Federalism trumps State-rights over all). But it is still something worth exploring and discussing to weigh the consequences. Hardly trivia.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:24 PM   #30
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Coast to Coast stuff I find interesting, may even pass something along if its unusual (check out the stuff on the dead and dying microbiologists at the Universities world-wide.) But its not stuff that was written by the creators of the U.S. Constitution. Maybe the fact that you cannot differentiate between fact and speculation adds to your confusion.

Thus spoke the confused one.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #31
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Bubba Wheels is a boundless fount of UIC.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #32
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The League of the South asserts that Southern society is radically different from the society impressed upon it by an alien occupier. American society today is egalitarian and Marxist and is devoid of any grace or charm.

Not to mention sweet tea. Barbarians!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:25 PM   #33
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
I base my opinions on what has been quoted and stated. You just choose to name-call. That's the difference.
Hmm...you'll have to refresh my memory on the name-calling. As far as the difference between facts and speculation, though, I'm happy to continue my part in your education.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #34
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
Based on your history here, Bubba, I'm not sure you're the one to be instructing anyone on how to differentiate between fact and speculation.

I base my opinions on what has been quoted and stated. You just choose to name-call. That's the difference.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #35
NoMyths
Poet in Residence

Quote:
So, your saying that states-rights reside wholly and completely upon the foundation of slavery? I see.
Not at all. In fact, I'm not really sure how anyone could reasonably infer that from my post. The roots of the Civil War were not primarily oriented around the issue of slavery.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #36
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Thus spoke the confused one.

So you also, see no difference between something referenced from a late-night radio show for fun and something stated and/or written by a founding father? Interesting.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:28 PM   #37
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
I feel insulted by this characterization of my post. Let's all hold hands and feel insulted and persecuted together.

I simply asked a question. I'm not into these political threads, as they mostly seem like MB masturbation, but I think it is insulting when people constantly lump all Christians into one "whacko" characterization. Would you catch heat if you had said "those whacko Jews", or whatever other religion?

Bah, I don't know why I come into these threads, I just end up getting annoyed. Have fun masturbating.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #38
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
So Thomas Jefferson, among others, was a KKK cross-burning right wing nutjob? Interesting.

By today's standards, he certainly is.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:29 PM   #39
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMyths
The "final and lasting legacy"? You mean, besides the whole emancipation thing?

'sides, that debate was being resolved economically and technologically well before the Civil War kicked off the military part of the program.

So, your saying that states-rights reside wholly and completely upon the foundation of slavery? I see.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 PM   #40
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
So you also, see no difference between something referenced from a late-night radio show for fun and something stated and/or written by a founding father? Interesting.

Jefferson also believed that there would be a revolution every 20 years...
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #41
vtbub
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
Bubba Wheels is a boundless fount of UIC.

pix, plz

vtbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #42
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

At this point, I don't even know what you are blabbering about anymore. Keep going though. It's amusing.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #43
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
At this point, I don't even know what you are blabbering about anymore. Keep going though. It's amusing.

Well, when your arguments hit empty, you should withdrawl gracefully without so much name-calling.

Last edited by Bubba Wheels : 03-07-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
By today's standards, he certainly is.

Don't play into Bubba's bait and switch techniques, please
Old 03-07-2005, 02:39 PM   #45
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Bubba, the quotes I refered to was from the manifesto of the "League of the South" which was not written by Thomas Jefferson, or even necessarily Thomas Wood (though according to Cam he is a member of the organization). You really ought to try to read post to keep up.

Last edited by HomerJSimpson : 03-07-2005 at 02:39 PM.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:40 PM   #46
yabanci
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Well, when your arguments hit empty, you should withdrawl gracefully without so much name-calling.

Spoken by a man obviously unable to take his own advice.
Old 03-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #47
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Spoken by a man obviously unable to take his own advice.

Is that an attempt at humor? Or are you advancing some form of argument?
Old 03-07-2005, 02:42 PM   #48
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I simply asked a question. I'm not into these political threads, as they mostly seem like MB masturbation, but I think it is insulting when people constantly lump all Christians into one "whacko" characterization. Would you catch heat if you had said "those whacko Jews", or whatever other religion?

You would appear to have some major defensiveness over anything Christian being associated with anything negative. Interesting how you interpret the statement "some whacky christian radio station" as lumping all Christians into one "whacko" characterization. Do you not accept the possibility that there are extremist Christian radio stations out there that could reasonably be termed whacko? Is it not possible, in fact probable, that yabanci wasn't declaring all Christian radio stations as whacko? Is it not a huge leap of logic to infer that a characterization of a whacko Christian radio station = all Christians are whackos?

Quote:
Bah, I don't know why I come into these threads, I just end up getting annoyed. Have fun masturbating.

Perhaps it's best if you don't participate in these discussions if you are incapable of keeping any perspective on these matters. Have fun misinterpreting things when you do decide to read these threads.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #49
HomerJSimpson
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Look Chief, its a little like one man playing chess against the multitude here. Doing the best I can (and better than most.) Laziest arguments have been the one sentence 'drive-bys' taking cheap shots, but I accept those as part of the turf for attempting an intellectual discussion here.

Well, I didn't quote you or anything you said, so don't drag me down in the mud with you. I will say this: if the author is part of the "League of The South" I wouldn't trust him to quote anyone in context (much like certain board members).
Old 03-07-2005, 02:45 PM   #50
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson
Bubba, the quotes I refered to was from the manifesto of the "League of the South" which was not written by Thomas Jefferson, or even necessarily Thomas Wood (though according to Cam he is a member of the organization). You really ought to try to read post to keep up.

Look Chief, its a little like one man playing chess against the multitude here. Doing the best I can (and better than most.) Laziest arguments have been the one sentence 'drive-bys' taking cheap shots, but I accept those as part of the turf for attempting an intellectual discussion here.