Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2009, 04:32 PM   #251
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyshaka View Post
Gomez to Montreal for Higgins per TSN.

Is Gainey on crack?

Yeah SR just texted me to tell me that. Why would you want Gomez's contract?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #252
DeToxRox
Head Coach

And Ryan McDonagh also goes to the Rangers.

This is an amazingly bad deal.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #253
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Trying to free up cap room for free agents? What was the Rangers' cap number like before? (nhlnumbers is down).
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #254
Pyser
Pro Rookie

how do the rangers keep doing this?

you KNOW heatley isnt far behind.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #255
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Is Gainey on crack?[/url]

Apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Trying to free up cap room for free agents? What was the Rangers' cap number like before? (nhlnumbers is down).

Assuming increases to RFAs, would have been a few million away from the cap with a couple huge holes to fill on the top two lines.

Amazing deal by Sather.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #256
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
you KNOW heatley isnt far behind.

I agree. I guess if I had to choose Gomez at $7.3 M or Heatley at $7.5M, I'd take Heatley.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:13 PM   #257
Logan
Head Coach

Supposedly the Heatley deal is done.

Montreal fans on the hfboards are going nuts over the deal. Entertaining to read the thread, especially starting around page 9 when they realized McDonaugh was part of the deal too.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=656981&page=9

Last edited by Logan : 06-30-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #258
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Or the Rangers sign Gaborik, and he plays about 20 games.

Gomez isn't terrible, just drastically overpaid. But from Gainey's POV, it makes some sense. He's losing a bunch of people and wants to make a splash.

Taking Gomez, IMO, is a better move than signing Gaborik to a new deal.

Also, correction to what I said yesterday, I've seen two different numbers on Guerin. $2.85 and $2.0. Possibly there are some incentives in there, which I think count against the cap until they are no longer attainable.

Also, Mike Zigomanis is not returning to Pittsburgh with Craig Adams signing. Good 4th line faceoff guy available to someone.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #259
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Supposedly the Heatley deal is done.

Montreal fans on the hfboards are going nuts over the deal. Entertaining to read the thread, especially starting around page 9 when they realized McDonaugh was part of the deal too.

[RDS] Chris Higgins traded to Rangers for Scott Gomez - Page 9 - HFBoards

You're right, this is pretty amusing.

I don't even know who McDonaugh is, but sure sounds popular in Montreal.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #260
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

CBC radio is reporting the Sendin twins re upped with Vancouver.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:39 PM   #261
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You're right, this is pretty amusing.

I don't even know who McDonaugh is, but sure sounds popular in Montreal.

Their #1 prospect on Hockey's Future, #3 in another spot I saw. 1st round d-man from 2007. Figures to replace whatever D prospect gets moved in a deal for a scorer.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:42 PM   #262
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
CBC radio is reporting the Sendin twins re upped with Vancouver.

Just heard this as well listening to Team1260.
johnnyshaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #263
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Their #1 prospect on Hockey's Future, #3 in another spot I saw. 1st round d-man from 2007. Figures to replace whatever D prospect gets moved in a deal for a scorer.

You know, I always feel like I should join the HF Boards and participate, but then I visit them and remember why I don't.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:50 PM   #264
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Just heard this as well listening to Team1260.

Was up on Spector's site but now he's reporting that the Sedin's agent has denied that a deal is done.

Sounds like some jumping of the gun ala the Luongo extension.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:51 PM   #265
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
You know, I always feel like I should join the HF Boards and participate, but then I visit them and remember why I don't.

Heh, quoted for truth. I made an account there once upon a time but never ended up actually posting. Every discussion that even started off with some promise quickly went downhill. Makes me appreciate this thread a lot more (most of the time).
Old 06-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #266
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Was up on Spector's site but now he's reporting that the Sedin's agent has denied that a deal is done.

Sounds like some jumping of the gun ala the Luongo extension.

Gregor also squashed rumour...funny how he'd blurt it out in the first place without confirming with sources. Douche.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #267
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Heh, quoted for truth. I made an account there once upon a time but never ended up actually posting. Every discussion that even started off with some promise quickly went downhill. Makes me appreciate this thread a lot more (most of the time).

HF is good for getting info as things break. It's there in an instant.

Most threads follow this pattern-

"Name a [young/old] [forward/defenseman] who you think is [overrated/underrated]"

If it's overrated-

"[insert hated player from your teams rival here] isn't as good as he's made out to be here"
"[previously mentioned player] is great, and untouchable in a trade from us!"
"Crysby is comically overrated, he sux!"

If underrated-
"[favorite player from favorite team here] is vastly underrated"
"Not as badly as [player from MY team] is"
"[3rd name] is better than both of them and will end up better than Crosby...he sucks!"
Old 06-30-2009, 06:51 PM   #268
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Dola

Lehtinen back to Dallas, $1.5M + incentives
Old 06-30-2009, 06:55 PM   #269
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
HF is good for getting info as things break. It's there in an instant.

Yes, but after running a cost/benefit analysis, I have determined that I'd rather know things a few minutes after they happen than brave those troubled waters.

80% of the posts in that Montreal trade thread were some variation of:

McDonaugh!?!?!?! WTF>!?@?$@#?!?!@!?! ****ING **CK!@!#@#)_@#!#!
Old 06-30-2009, 07:28 PM   #270
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
Pens sign 2

Bill Guerin 1 year, being reported $2.8M

Craig Adams 2 years, $550K per

Guerin is a little higher than I hoped. Tkachuk's got $2.1M to stay in St Louis. But he'll play out this year and retire, really fit in well, and Sid and him seemed to have a great relationship (the anti-Recchi?)

Adams...that is less than the $750K he made this year. He's a perfect 4th line, knows his role, plays the PK and generally keeps his mouth closed and fills a spot. That he does it at $550K for a team up against the cap is even better.

SR,

The Post-Gazette reported the Guerin contract at 2MM not 2.8MM. Does the extra 800M includes incentives?
Old 06-30-2009, 07:41 PM   #271
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
SR,

The Post-Gazette reported the Guerin contract at 2MM not 2.8MM. Does the extra 800M includes incentives?

Yeah, I just posted that a little earlier.

I saw both numbers, and neither is coming directly from the Pens, so I don't know what to make of it.

My understanding of the way the incentives work is they count against the cap until they are no longer attainable. So, if it's a games played clause, that is pretty easy to figure out.

What I don't know is if it's a goals/points clause. Say it's 30 goals. And in March he's at 10. It's obviously pretty unlikely at that point, but not unattainable.

That $800,000 could be pretty important to someone like Pittsburgh around the trade deadline.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:42 PM   #272
Pyser
Pro Rookie

j.bo to calgary. 5 yr, 33m
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #273
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Are you fucking kidding me? Damnit! Hindsight being 20/20 the Flyers should've bucked up for him.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:48 PM   #274
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

the scary thing about the HF Boards is that they are about 8,000,000 times more intelligent than the official team boards.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:51 PM   #275
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

link for the Bouwmeester signing
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283345
Old 06-30-2009, 07:58 PM   #276
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
link for the Bouwmeester signing
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283345

Way too much money. That's Lidstrom/Pronger/Niedermayer money, and he's not that good.

Someone who is that good is Phaneuf. Does this mean he gets shipped out?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #277
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22 View Post
I'd say its more of this. Tollefsen's is probably a 6/7th defensemen, but he's redundant on our roster (LH stay-at-home). He's a tough player, good at sticking up for his opponents, sound player around the net, but he's not a great skater and makes poor decisions with the puck when even slightly pressured. Biggest flaw is 'receiving the rush', he tends to come up and attempt to smash the winger against the boards, rather than staying in position.

While I'd love another hit on the backend besides Orpik, he sounds like he'd be more trouble than help.

Goligoski is going to get the green light to move up, so he'd be forced to sit back, and couldn't pinch on the boards being the last man back.

We don't have a net clearing guy, even with Scuderi and Gill. They are more of the tie-up sticks type. The guy the Pens get to fill Scuderi's spot (i've accepted he's gone) will have to be able to play the PK. Hoping Shero's Nashville connections come through and they get the next Rob Scuderi in Greg Zanon for abou 1/2 the price of Scuds.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:05 PM   #278
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Way too much money. That's Lidstrom/Pronger/Niedermayer money, and he's not that good.

Someone who is that good is Phaneuf. Does this mean he gets shipped out?

He's cheaper than Brian Campbell!

There was a rumor that Calgary would sign Bouwmeester and then trade Phanuef to Ottawa for Heatley. I don't know if that will happen or not. You can afford two defensemen in that price range, but the team does tend to get a bit top heavy, especially when you throw in a $7 million forward (Iginla) and a $7 million goalie (Kiprusoff).
Old 06-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #279
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's cheaper than Brian Campbell!

Heh...Campbell was the first name that jumped into my head for being overpaid when I was composing my post.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #280
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

cheaper than Brian Campbell is definitely not saying much.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:14 PM   #281
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

It must be frustrating to be Paul Holmgren. You pull off the terrible Pronger trade, you go to bed thinking you own one of the NHL's all-time worst trades, and then you don't even win Worst Deal of the Month honors.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #282
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
It must be frustrating to be Paul Holmgren. You pull off the terrible Pronger trade, you go to bed thinking you own one of the NHL's all-time worst trades, and then you don't even win Worst Deal of the Month honors.

Here's a head scratcher. Who calls who to gloat first? Holmgren to Gainey for getting worked, or Gainey to Holmgren because he "topped" him.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:38 PM   #283
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post

Enjoy another lottery pick next year.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:40 PM   #284
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He won't get the chance. Burkie's gonna trade it away.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 06-30-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #285
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Is Gainey on crack?

EDIT: http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283329

Looks like there are some spare parts involved. McDonagh was the Habs first rounder a few years ago...still several years away from making any impact...if he ever does.

As a Leaf follower(and therefore a Montreal Hater) I.LOVE.THIS.DEAL!!!!!!!!!

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #286
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Go stroke a neck beard.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #287
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

Hater.....Problem is Philly might still have a better pick than the Leafs.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:56 PM   #288
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor View Post
As a Leaf follower(and therefore a Montreal Hater) I.LOVE.THIS.DEAL!!!!!!!!!
I know. If the rumored Heatley for Penner deal comes through tonight, I might take tomorrow off, drink all day and light fireworks.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:58 PM   #289
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
He won't get the chance. Burkie's gonna trade it away.

A pox on you and your house.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #290
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A pox on you and your house.

So you want that lottery pick?

Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 PM   #291
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
j.bo to calgary. 5 yr, 33m

Old 06-30-2009, 09:17 PM   #292
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I love that the Rangers dumped Gomez, that trade would be fantastic if they got absolutely nothing in return.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:22 PM   #293
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
So you want that lottery pick?

Not only want it...i EXPECT it.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:24 PM   #294
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not only want it...i EXPECT it.

You sound like a Clippers fan.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:28 PM   #295
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
You sound like a Clippers fan.

Raptors fan....Tomato,tomatoe.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:33 PM   #296
bbor
Pro Starter

Reading the HB boards about the Canadians deal makes me LOL even more.

Did the ghost of Gord Stellick finally bite the Habs back?

For those who don't know Gord Stellick was the Leaf GM who traded Russ Courtnall to montreal for John Kordic.....Still known as the worst Leaf trade in history.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #297
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sources say Dany Heatley has been asked to waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton in exchange for Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid. If Heatley agrees to waive it, it would appear that the Senators and Oilers will have a deal. If Heatley agrees to waive, it would appear the Sens and Oilers will have a deal, pending the official trade call with NHL central registry, but that is generally a formality.

From TSN
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #298
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Sources say Dany Heatley has been asked to waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton in exchange for Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid. If Heatley agrees to waive it, it would appear that the Senators and Oilers will have a deal. If Heatley agrees to waive, it would appear the Sens and Oilers will have a deal, pending the official trade call with NHL central registry, but that is generally a formality.

From TSN

and Leaf fans were excited about Gainey getting fleeced by the Rangers? Tonight is shaping up like their Christmas
Old 06-30-2009, 09:52 PM   #299
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
and Leaf fans were excited about Gainey getting fleeced by the Rangers? Tonight is shaping up like their Christmas

It's just preparing them for the inevitable CEI to Luke Schenn early next season.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #300
johnnyshaka
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

From TSN

Holy shit.

If it goes through you can take this for gospel...Penner scores 35 goals next season...but I won't give two shits 'cause Heatley should really give us one heck of a boost!!