Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-19-2009, 10:10 AM   #51
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Expansion would be fine if we can find the active owners.

It's hard enough to keep 12 active owners... I say stick with what we have - IMO

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:52 AM   #52
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

In my humble opinion I think we should keep it at 12 also.

It is hard to keep owners active and plus this keeps the waiver wire more interesting.

Just my two cents
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:17 PM   #53
sooner333
College Starter

I'm fine either way...maybe 14 would be a good compromise.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:26 PM   #54
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If we want to make changes, I'm all for it, but a majority of owners have to agree (in the past it was 8, so we'll keep with that).

I'm voting no, personally, but if others are interested, put in votes.

My reasoning is as follows. Right now, we have 10 hitters and 9 pitchers starting as well as 5 more on the bench, so realistically, that's 12/12 with 12 teams for 288 players. That's 9.6 players per MLB team- basically 3.5 starting pitchers, 1 closer, and 5 batters from every team. I don't really want to be playing with the 4th SP of most teams and their 7-9 hitters.

Same problem with expanding the rosters in my mind- just not enough talent out there. We have no useful stats to keep track of middle relievers and I think adding holds is just silly- been down that road before. How much impact does adding 70 IPs worth of K's, ERA, etc when your SPs should be three times that much? Or how does adding 4th OFs or crappy middle IFs do anything to offset those guys at the top or even middle of the draft?

If the waiver pool is empty, it's harder to keep people interested and that just leads to a more dead league. Last year was our worst league for inactives and that was only 4. Hell, the first couple of years, I think we had 1 total between those two years. That alone keeps thing competitive.

Current vote tally (expand teams to 16 from 12):
Yay: IIII
Nay: III
Either: I (basically counts as a yay)

I guess a simple answer would be to let Sublime2 and DeToxRox back in to make 14. That depends on if the vote is there, tho. (We'd have to redo the draft order in that case, too.)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-19-2009 at 12:29 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #55
Ramzavail
College Starter

You make some good point, I'll change mine to a nay. More owners = more possible dead owners
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #56
samifan24
Pro Starter

I will also change my vote to nay. You're very convincing, SI.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:25 PM   #57
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I vote nay.
Old 02-19-2009, 01:31 PM   #58
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I will change my vote to yes for 14 teams but no for 16.
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 01:51 PM   #59
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I wasn't trying to sway people one way or another- I was just saying why I went with what I did. If someone has a good argument in favor, I'd love to see it posted- something about how we aren't scraping the bottom of the barrel, as is, etc.

SI

Old 02-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #60
Travis
Pro Rookie

I'm good with how it is currently. Also add in that more teams = longer draft which hopefully won't be an issue, but who knows how things'll go.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #61
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
My reasoning is as follows. Right now, we have 10 hitters and 9 pitchers starting as well as 5 more on the bench, so realistically, that's 12/12 with 12 teams for 288 players.

This post reads that we have 24 man rosters but I counted 26 roster spots. Here are the roster spots we have to fill:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, LF, CF, RF, OF, UT (12)
SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P (9)
BN, BN, BN, BN, BN (5)

12 Hitters + 9 Pitchers + 5 Bench Spots = 26 Roster Spots

So, do we have 24 or 26 man rosters?

Last edited by samifan24 : 02-19-2009 at 03:15 PM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #62
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
This post reads that we have 24 man rosters but I counted 26 roster spots. Here are the roster spots we have to fill:

C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, CI, MI, LF, CF, RF, OF, UT (12)
SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, SP, RP, RP, P (9)
BN, BN, BN, BN, BN (5)

12 Hitters + 9 Pitchers + 5 Bench Spots = 26 Roster Spots
So, do we have 24 or 26 man rosters?

Whoops- 26- my bad. I can't count. So, more realistically, 12 pitchers and 14 hitters

SI

Old 02-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #63
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I see SI's point, 12 seems perfect to me.. but if we do expand I would think 14 is the max.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 PM   #64
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Whoops- 26- my bad. I can't count. So, more realistically, 12 pitchers and 14 hitters

SI

You had me really nervous there for a second! I think a 26 round draft is plenty long to begin with and we're already digging through rosters with 12 teams. I have nothing against the other guys that want to play but I think adding more teams will dilute the rosters.

Maybe we can compromise and keep two alternate managers for the first month or so in case someone has to drop out or abandons their team.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #65
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Seriously, I wasn't trying to browbeat everyone into agreeing. I just wanted to lay out my line of thinking and I'm sure others have better arguments or ideas. It feels like I just yelled everyone into agreeing and that wasn't my intention at all.

SI

Old 02-19-2009, 06:19 PM   #66
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I didn't take your post like that at all SI.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:52 PM   #67
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I also didn't take it like that. 26 is a pretty big roster, and it gets to be a helluva lot less fun when you have a lot of teams (if it were up to me, I'd only like 10 teams - but I am just happy you guys let me join, haha)
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM   #68
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

I'll go along to get along - and I can understand the "active owners" reasoning - but the "not enough talent" argument is complete and utter horseshit. The fewer teams there are, the more success depends on luck rather than skill. When the talent pool is deep, there's not much variance at the bottom of your roster. With more teams, success depends on the skill of the owner to select the players that round out their team. Championships aren't decided in the draft's first 10 rounds, they're won or lost in the last 10 rounds. When everyone gets an all-star team, it's basically luck.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #69
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I'll go along to get along - and I can understand the "active owners" reasoning - but the "not enough talent" argument is complete and utter horseshit. The fewer teams there are, the more success depends on luck rather than skill. When the talent pool is deep, there's not much variance at the bottom of your roster. With more teams, success depends on the skill of the owner to select the players that round out their team. Championships aren't decided in the draft's first 10 rounds, they're won or lost in the last 10 rounds. When everyone gets an all-star team, it's basically luck.

Yeah, I agree with you to a point. The league champion wins because of his decisions late in the draft, on the FA wire and through trades. Adding an additional four teams changes the landscape of the league dramatically in such a way that I think it hurts the league. Anyone that's played in a shallow league knows it's no fun to have an All-Star at every position, but I think stretching the rosters too thin can have the same effect.

Your argument is why I initially wanted more owners in the league but now I think that expanding from 12 to 16 is just too much. This league is already more difficult than standard 12 team leagues for two reasons: we use more than 5x5 categories and we use specific outfielder positions rather than generic ones and that's the reason why I changed my mind.

If the majority votes to add the extra teams, I'd welcome it. I want this to be a fun league and I want everyone to be active. I just hesitate to expand the league so soon on the thinking that "more is better" because that isn't always the case.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:57 AM   #70
samifan24
Pro Starter

Now that we've determined the draft order, are we going to begin drafting this weekend with no time limit as SI mentioned or are we just going to wait for Monday?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:14 PM   #71
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think the nay's have it for league expansion, so, PackerFanatic, you're on the clock. Keep in mind, until Monday morning, this clock is like how the Lions are on the clock right now for the NFL draft

SI

Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #72
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Sweet!!
Old 02-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #73
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Where is Packerfanatic, figures a Packer fan would hold us up.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:36 PM   #74
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Nah, it's not like his name is VikingsFanatic. They'd be the ones delaying the draft

Also, think of this as pre-draft where anything we get is gravy. Remember, starting Monday, the time limits take effect

SI

Old 02-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #75
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

That's cool but being a Bears fan i gotta bust his chops.
Old 02-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #76
samifan24
Pro Starter

No playoffs in this league? I just read that on the settings page. Has this always been the case?
Old 02-22-2009, 11:49 AM   #77
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What? No playoffs? It must have borked the settings when importing them from last season. It should be a 6 team playoff with 2 byes.

SI

Old 02-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #78
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, made the change- 6 playoff teams so the top two get byes. There's also a consolation bracket. Also, I moved the trade deadline back so it's a little earlier- that way there aren't huge trades 2 weeks before the playoffs. They should be made a little sooner than that.

SI

Old 02-22-2009, 11:58 AM   #79
samifan24
Pro Starter

Come on PackerFanatic, let's get this thing going!
Old 02-22-2009, 12:02 PM   #80
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Maybe he's waiting to see where Manny signs

SI

Old 02-23-2009, 07:52 AM   #81
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Nah, it's not like his name is VikingsFanatic. They'd be the ones delaying the draft

Also, think of this as pre-draft where anything we get is gravy. Remember, starting Monday, the time limits take effect

SI

Ouch, haha.

Sorry guys - I totally missed the fact we were starting this weekend.

Assuming then that we are just drafting here...with the 1st pick, I will take SS Hanley Ramirez
Old 02-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #82
samifan24
Pro Starter

And we're off! Good luck everybody!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:11 AM   #83
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

can somebody give me a link to the draft room? For some reason I can not find the draft room - I'm only able to get last years draft results.

thanks

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 02-23-2009, 08:18 AM   #84
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
can somebody give me a link to the draft room? For some reason I can not find the draft room - I'm only able to get last years draft results.

thanks

You can't find it because there isn't a draft room yet. We're holding the draft in this thread and SI will post the results in the 4th post in this thread and also on the league website on Yahoo.

Last edited by samifan24 : 02-23-2009 at 08:19 AM.
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #85
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh, hey, so that it's easy to read, could everyone try to post like this:

1.1 Hanley Ramirez

Also, if there needs to be any clarification- do something like "Chris Young, SP" or "Chris Young, SD" (as opposed to Chris Young, OF/AZ)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-23-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #86
Ramzavail
College Starter

good luck guys.
Ramzavail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #87
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

With the second pick I take 1.2 Albert Pujols

The man is not even 30 yet and has yet to hit under 300 or hit under 30 hrs. As long as he stays healthy I feel very good about this pick.
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #88
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Once I get a chance this morning, I'll make a post with a reminder about the rules with the time limits, etc

SI

Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM   #89
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

With the 3rd pick the Insomniacs choose SS Jose Reyes NYM

1.3 SS Jose Reyes - NYM
Old 02-23-2009, 10:23 AM   #90
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Ok, I've updated post 4 and the draft board in Yahoo.

If you'll look at the "Players" page, and select "All Available Players" (the default), you'll see the picked players are no longer on the list. So you can search through who is left that way. Also, if you go to "Draft Central -> Draft Results", you can see the draft results up to where I've entered them. Also, that's where I'm cutting and pasting to get the results in post 4 (hence why some names are cut off).

I try to do this a couple of times a day- but there are time constraints and all.

Speaking of which, now's the time to go over the simple version of the draft time rules, which are posted here:
Front Office Football Central - View Single Post - 2009 FOFC Hardcore League

1) There's a 6 hour time limit for picks between 8am CT and 10pm CT on Weekdays. Use the board clock to determine how long the 6 hours are.

2) If you had more than an hour the previous night (the previous pick was made at 9pm), you get 1 hour in the morning (until 9am) to make your pick. If you had less than an hour, you have 2 hours in the morning (until 10am).

3) On weekends, we'll just go with a standard 6 hours with no morning/evening provision. For instance, if someone picks at 9:05pm Saturday, you have until 1:05pm Sunday the next day (6 hours of "draft time"). However, if someone picks at 9:05pm Sunday, you have until 10am Monday since the clock starts again during the week.

4) If you don't make a pick in this time, then you will get the highest rated player in Yahoo on your team, regardless of position (even if you have 14 pitchers, here's another), retired status (for instance, Bonds last year), injuries (Shaun Marcum, anyone?), or anything else. You miss your pick, you get Yahoo's pick (o-rank).

5) If you think you might miss your pick, try working with someone to get a list: I recommend someone who is on the opposite end of the draft than you are. I'll be watching the draft pretty regularly so I can help, but, again, I'd rather not do it if you're one of the couple of people after me so there's no chance of a sense of conflict of interest.

There are some other rules about the draft going too long, but I think we'll be ok this year with the World Baseball Classic pushing Opening Day out until April 5th- no series in Japan or anything like that.

Any questions? Clear them up now, before it's too late.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-23-2009 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #91
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post

The man is not even 30 yet and has yet to hit under 300 or hit under 30 hrs. As long as he stays healthy I feel very good about this pick.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #92
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I knew this would not play well with the Troy contingent

SI

Old 02-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #93
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post

It was close between Hanley and Pujols. I think it is probably a horse a piece.
Old 02-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #94
samifan24
Pro Starter

I wish I didn't have to take him but the goal is winning, not drafting the all "favorite guys" team. I'm surprised he wasn't taken in the top three.

1.4 Alex Rodriguez 3B
Old 02-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #95
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

I thought about Arod but my worry is the affect of all the steroid talk will have on him. He is a great player but i wonder about his head a bit. Who knows i will probably be wrong but just in case.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM   #96
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I want to be a homer and pick Sizemore here but OF is plenty.

1.5 David Wright 3B, NYM

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders

Last edited by CleBrownsfan : 02-23-2009 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #97
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
I want to be a homer and pick Sizemore here but OF is plenty.

1.5 David Wright 3B, NYM

That makes two Tribe fans in the same league. Awesome! I'd have taken Grady if I had a lower pick, say around seven or eight.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #98
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

1.6 Miguel Cabrera, 1B/3B Det

SI

Old 02-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #99
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yahoo and thread have been updated with draft results.

Ramzavail
Then MizzouRah
Then Travis
(next 3 up)

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM   #100
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I took A-Rod #1 last year and hated myself a little for it. Tried to see if a different direction helped this year - I hope it does!