Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #101
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Go Devils. Screw the Rangers and that carpetbagger.

Love that carpetbagger.

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #102
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Any word on which round Hasek has chosen to fake his injury in?

I think he did that during the Maple Leafs playoff round .. the regular season.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #103
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

lol @ Marty

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #104
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

There are more Rangers fans at The Rock than Devils fans.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #105
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

w00t!

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:30 PM   #106
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

You know, I love Martin Brodeur, and the Devils don't win 3 Cups without him, but it seems like he makes one really boneheaded play every year that can or does cost the Devils a game. Score tied at 1, and he's watching a puck just sitting in his crease. A Rangers player (Ryan Callahan, I think) zips from behind the net and taps the puck in. Marty was staring at the puck in the crease. Ridiculous.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #107
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
You know, I love Martin Brodeur, and the Devils don't win 3 Cups without him, but it seems like he makes one really boneheaded play every year that can or does cost the Devils a game. Score tied at 1, and he's watching a puck just sitting in his crease. A Rangers player (Ryan Callahan, I think) zips from behind the net and taps the puck in. Marty was staring at the puck in the crease. Ridiculous.

Live by the sword (constantly using your goalie to jump-start your offense), die by the sword (try to set up your outlet pass in your head before actually gathering the puck).
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #108
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Thanks for using the Spoiler Tags this year. It's greatly appreciated.
Remember not to ruin the surprise for your friends.

By the way, Gary Bettman just read my predictions and spent the next two hours fondling himself.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #109
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Oh, this is nice. Versus is picking up CBC's feed.

Finally CBC in High Definition.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #110
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Oh, this is nice. Versus is picking up CBC's feed.

Finally CBC in High Definition.

I believe they did that last year as well if the game involved a Canadian team. Not sure if it was in HD though.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:59 PM   #111
Pyser
Pro Rookie

no surprises here, time warner fucked up their schedule and didnt record the game for me.

its my own playoff tradition with this piece of shit company

sounds like i didnt miss much though
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:22 PM   #112
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

and, those who were mislead by pumpy's bad advice and stayed away from the Avs-Wild game, you missed a hell of a hockey game. The Avs went up 2-0. The Wild came back 2-2. The tying goal should have been a backbreaker for the Avs, but Quenneville calls a timeout, calms the team down, and then the Avs just go to town, pretty much controlling the game from then on out.

In the last 10 minutes or so in the 3rd, the Avs had two goals waved off (including one that probably was, indeed, a goal), a shot off the post, a shot off the crossbar and, with 2:27 left, an unsuccessful penalty shot. They finally won it in OT. Of course it would be the league's all-time playoff OT goal scorer, Joe Sakic. Great, great game.
Old 04-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #113
Vince
Pro Starter

So I can hardly comment authoritatively, as I didn't get to watch the whole game (stupid band nazis). It seemed, however, like the refs in the San Jose - Calgary game were INCREDIBLY quick to blow the whistle when the puck got into the Calgary crease, regardless of whether or not Kipper had control of the puck.

This is no excuse, and I'm not trying to whine, but it struck me as odd.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 AM   #114
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

When I grow up, I want to be Gary Roberts.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 08:19 AM   #115
miked
College Starter

God I hate the Rangers. That is all.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #116
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Two "little things" I saw from the Pens last night that I really liked:

- One the second goal (the 2-on-1), watch Malkin after the goal. I believe you learn a lot about a team from the way they celebrate goals. If they jump around or look like they're shocked it went it, that's a bad sign. Malkin doesn't even react at all. He just takes his mouth guard out and glides over pat Sykora on the head. Not even a smile. This kid is ready to play.

- Late in the game, Wade Redden and Sidney Crosby get into a purse-swinging* incident. Not a big deal, but Whitney skates in from the blue line and just pummels Redden. In the dying seconds Gary Roberts basically drops his gloves and challenges any Senator to come get him. Chris Neil is on the ice but barely makes eye contact. The old Senators may be back.

* Thank you, Paul Maurice
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 AM   #117
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I loved that Pens/Sens game for the reasons ML states above. The Pens just look ready to play. Crosby didn't put up points, but as the announcers stated he did the little things (and I think he did more offensively than the announcers gave him credit for).

Malkin looks amazing. I haven't watched him play much since he entered the NHL, but good grief he was a force last night. His goal was awesome, and his reaction after was great in a different way than the one ML wrote about. As he's skating behind the net, one of the Sens gives him a shot. He starts to turn to react, then just gets this look of "whatever, that chumps not worth my time" and resumes his fist pump.

I also have to say that while I don't normally like Don Cherry, he was exactly right in calling out Chris Neil for his actions during the Crosby-Redden purse fight, as ML so elegantly put it. I couldn't believe that the teams big enforcer would just stand there chatting with Crosby while Redden got pounded on. Just bizarre. I saw several other incidents too where the Sens players just don't seem to stand up for each other. Weak looking team.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:59 AM   #118
MikeVic
Head Coach

Is Roberts really on the Pens' 4th line? That's a nice thing to have!
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:01 AM   #119
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post

Gary Roberts isn't on the 4th line....he is the 4th line.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:10 AM   #120
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
In name only. It's like when you're playing NHL 95 and you put your best players on the "4th line" so that the AI will match up with them.

Little known fact: The NHL has a "maximum awesomeness" limit on any one line, which is why the Penguins have to play crappy guys like Georges Laraque on the Roberts line.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #121
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Colorado totally dominated after Minnesota's 2nd goal. They really played well and looked dangerous. Theodore was solid. Colorado has the potential to be a very scary team if they can stay healthy.

The Senators are done. They looked horrible. Chris Neil was a joke. Later in the game when Roberts was challenging everyone, Laraque was out there as well as Neil and Neil never made eye contact. Just gutless.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 04-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #122
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Versus is screwing us over tonight, at least according to my guide. Apparently, Versus HD is showing Masters highlights in spite of the fact that ESPN is doing the exact same thing at the exact same time. So the Wings-Preds is on Versus low def. Not only will more people likely tune to ESPN for Masters coverage than to Versus, but 'casual fan' will be much less likely to watch hockey in low def than HD. Figure that one out.

Last edited by Ajaxab : 04-10-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:40 AM   #123
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post
Versus is screwing us over tonight, at least according to my guide. Apparently, Versus HD is showing Masters highlights in spite of the fact that ESPN is doing the exact same thing at the exact same time. So the Wings-Preds is on Versus low def. Not only will more people likely tune to ESPN for Masters coverage than to Versus, but 'casual fan' will be much less likely to watch hockey in low def than HD. Figure that one out.

That is total bullshit. The whole point of being on Versus was that the NHL was supposed to be king. Versus would promote the NHL, have the post game shows, etc, etc, etc. Now they do this? The NHL playoffs are when this sport really excels above all others, just blows them away, and they are getting bumped for first day Masters highlights? COME ON!

Well, it doesn't make much difference to me, I will be getting the game in HD on the local Fox Sports Network, but given the number of Wings fans who don't live in the area... COME ON!
Old 04-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #124
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab View Post

VersusHD (in my area at least) splits time with the GolfChannelHD on that HD station.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #125
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Gary Roberts was amazing in those final seconds last night. I wasn't pleased with his hit that almost put Bass face-first into the boards, but he was ready to take on the whole Ottawa team. My goodness, I couldn't believe it. The officials tried to get him off the ice, and he wouldn't go. Absolutely amazing.

I didn't even notice that Chris Neil was out there for the Whitney-Redden incident or the Gary Roberts blowup at the end. Jeez, I almost feel bad for the psyches of the Senators, as they probably expect to get the living shit beat out of them for the next 3 games. I know Gary Roberts is tough as all get-out, but when an 41-year-old man coming off a broken leg is kicking an entire line's collective ass, there are serious issues.

This has the potential to get as silly as that Buffalo-Ottawa brawl from last year (?) when Lindy Ruff put his tough guys out there against Ottawa's #1 line. Spezza will be flat on his stomach getting beaten up, Heatley will do his roadrunner impression, and Mike Comrie will be laughing out on the golf course because he doesn't have to put up with that shit again.

I can't wait.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:19 AM   #126
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Heatley will do his roadrunner impression,

Wait. Are you talking about Danny Heatley? One of the premiere power forwards in the history of the NHL?

Surely, you must be joking.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:21 AM   #127
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Wait. Are you talking about Danny Heatley? One of the premiere power forwards in the history of the NHL?

Surely, you must be joking.
I set 'em up, you knock 'em down.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #128
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs View Post
Two "little things" I saw from the Pens last night that I really liked:

- One the second goal (the 2-on-1), watch Malkin after the goal. I believe you learn a lot about a team from the way they celebrate goals. If they jump around or look like they're shocked it went it, that's a bad sign. Malkin doesn't even react at all. He just takes his mouth guard out and glides over pat Sykora on the head. Not even a smile. This kid is ready to play.

- Late in the game, Wade Redden and Sidney Crosby get into a purse-swinging* incident. Not a big deal, but Whitney skates in from the blue line and just pummels Redden. In the dying seconds Gary Roberts basically drops his gloves and challenges any Senator to come get him. Chris Neil is on the ice but barely makes eye contact. The old Senators may be back.

* Thank you, Paul Maurice

Wade Redden should be banned from the NHL for getting roughed up by Ryan Whitney. He has to be the weakest 6'4" 215 lb guy in the NHL.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:16 PM   #129
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I missed the first period, but this looks like a fun little game in Montreal!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:48 PM   #130
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Glad we showed up for the playoffs.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #131
MikeVic
Head Coach

Didn't watch much hockey tonight, but saw Chara getting roughed up a bit in the Montreal game. One hit was a cool looking sandwich!

And now I just saw Selanne throwing punches! Yes!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:49 PM   #132
bhlloy
Coordinator

I don't think the Ducks can score on the Stars right now, and Giguere has been dodgy. Oh, and tons of bad penalties. Great combination.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #133
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I don't think the Ducks can score on the Stars right now, and Giguere has been dodgy. Oh, and tons of bad penalties. Great combination.

Isn't it, though? And we have had some awful games this year against the Stars. I really think this is going to be a very difficult series.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #134
MikeVic
Head Coach

Ugly 4th goal! Anaheim fell asleep there or something.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:46 PM   #135
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Okay guys, it's not the regular season anymore. Some people need a serious stretch in front of the mirror in the Anaheim lockeroom. Dallas is playing very good, and I don't want to take anything away from them. But the Ducks just are playing awful, awful hockey. Making dumb positioning and penalty mistakes and Jiggy is acting like Turco (and vice-versa).

I want someone to be pissed in that lockerroom, since us fans can't be in there to let them know this sort of performance isn't acceptable for playoffs.

Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #136
MikeVic
Head Coach

Poor Mikka. The Sharks had two 5-on-3s, and then a 5-on-4?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:54 PM   #137
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'm amazed at how awful Anaheim looks. It's only one game though, but this is pretty remarkable.

Also, Detroit and Nashville had an exciting up and down game tonight. Detroit catches a break on a bounce off the ref that was probably offsides but that happens in the Playoffs. I fully expect McCarty and Tootoo to drop the gloves before all is said and done as they came close a few times tonight. Lot of chirping, lot of high hits. All the makings of a dandy game two.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:07 PM   #138
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I'm amazed at how awful Anaheim looks. It's only one game though, but this is pretty remarkable.

You know, I want to say I am, too. But I really am not. We have been extremely inconsistent, and it has been more than the injuries and late veteran additions. This team just hasn't had the same vibe as last year. The power play is extremely inconsistent, and the forecheck hasn't been as strong. We have had issues taking not only bad penalties, but taking tons of them. Pronger has been a bit too "loose" this year, and Niedermayer is still not really close to the top of his game (hasn't been since his return). And we're depending on too many younger players or third line types to support our inconsistent scoring. The only guys who seem to be the exact same as last year are Selanne and Jiggy (and even Jiggy is having an off night tonight).

Really, the whole "feel" of this team has been one of unsteadiness all year. I have never been comfortable with how the team has been playing, from the very first drop of the puck in September, and that continued even during the strong second half play. The feeling last year I had that we can always come back or win that next critical game is just not there this year.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:07 AM   #139
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Old 04-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #140
Logan
Head Coach

Rangers - Devils, no score through 2. There's been pushing and shoving after pretty much every stoppage.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #141
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

Jagr, Avery, you beautiful bastards you.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #142
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

That was a nice play by Ovechkin.

Fire Ron Lee.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:32 PM   #143
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazFTW View Post
Jagr, Avery, you beautiful bastards you.

Marty sure moved a *lot* on what looked like a very small tap from Colin White. The Ranger fan in me thinks he figured it was a Ranger bumping him so he tried to sell it. Oops.

Also, he was insanely out of position on Avery's shot. While it was perfectly placed in the top corner, half the net was wide open.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #144
Logan
Head Coach

2-0 heading back to the Garden. I think I'll take that.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #145
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I'm glad I was out at dinner and missed you-know-what. Ugh.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #146
MikeVic
Head Coach

So what are these controversial penalties and non-icing calls in the Devils/Rangers game? And some controversy in the Wild OT winner I think. They only showed the replay once, but it appeared that Rolston lifted his leg to kick in the puck.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:44 PM   #147
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
So what are these controversial penalties and non-icing calls in the Devils/Rangers game? And some controversy in the Wild OT winner I think. They only showed the replay once, but it appeared that Rolston lifted his leg to kick in the puck.

he may have tried to kick it, but after seeing a few different angles it looks like the puck missed his foot entirely and went off of Salei's toe instead. Tough break for the Avs - the Wild have 5 goals, and two of them have been fluky deflections off an Avalanche skate in front.

once again, if you aren't watching, you're missing great hockey. This game was tied 1-1 late in the 3rd, but Mikko Koivu (who has KILLED the Avs his whole career) fires a 60' curveball that fools Jose Theodore to make it 2-1. The Avs pull their goalie and shortly thereafter Kim Johnsson hooks Ryan Smyth in front of the net to give the Avs a 6 on 4 PP. The Wild were crazy about the call, but it was a good one - Johnsson definitely hooked him, and Smyth probably would have scored if he hadn't. The Avs convert on the PP with 43 seconds left to send it into OT. where, of course, Keith Carney wins it.

Carney, as you know, is a sniper. He started slowly this year, with just zero goals in his first 60 games. But he scored one against the Avs in the final game of the season and now has 2 goals in his last 3 games, both against Colorado. We're going to need to make note of him every time he steps...er, lumbers on to the ice.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #148
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:

i dont want to talk about it....but for starters, we were on a PK, pulled our goalie, and got a fucking icing call.

not ready to talk about it at all yet, actually.
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #149
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Penguins have a slight scare. After going up 3-0 and putting it into cruise, Ottawa ties it at 3-3. All 3 Ottawa goals are scored from a combine 6 feet from the crease.

But Marty Lapointe takes a STUPID high sticking penalty with about 1:20 left. Ryan Malone scores on the PP with a minute left, and adds the empty netter, Pens 5-3. If that was Ottawa's big push, this series is over.

Crosby 4 assists, but still relatively invisible. Malkin with 3 assists, Sykora 2 goals, Malone 2 goals (GWG and empty netter).

Randy Robitaille is the Sens leading scoring in the series to this point.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #150
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
i dont want to talk about it....but for starters, we were on a PK, pulled our goalie, and got a fucking icing call.

not ready to talk about it at all yet, actually.
Wait, are you serious? This happened? Like I mentioned before, I was out and didn't see any of the game. Well, ain't that a shit.