Hall Of Famer

As promised...season update (even though I may be the only one who cares):

May 18th 2009

Serie A Final Standings

AC Milan (79)
Roma (78)
Inter (75)
JUVENTUS (71)

Champions League football for me next year!!

Overall for the year (all competitions)

Leading Goalscorers:
Rolando Bianchi (21 in 43 appearances)
Vincenco Iaquinta (20 in 36 appearances)
Trezeguet (10 in 24 appearances)

Key Additions (by DT):
Rolando Bianchi ST: ($33M from Man City)
Andres D'Alessandro AM RLC: ($26M from Zaragoza)
Steve Sidwell MC : ($7.5M from Chelsea)
Cristian Zaccardo D RC: (Free from Palermo)
Fabio Aurelio D L: ($3.8M from Liverpool)
Aythami D M C: (Free from Deportivo)
Felipe D C: ($14M from Udinese)

It's not all smooth-sailing for me though, as I did waste around $17M on Jean Makoun who made 15 appearances over 2 years for me before being sold on to Newcastle for 1/2 that amount, and ATM due to the continued presence of Chiellini (who I should sell on for big bucks), youngster Domenico Criscito is blocked from D L and forced to play D C along with Jorge Andrade (who I could also sell off) so Felipe is blocked from playing D C and is an expensive bench player. I also need to search for a M R to replace the ageing Mauro Camoranesi.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-08-2007 at 08:50 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #452
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Okay, so I'm trying to figure out this PLA thing. I have extraced it into the data directory, where the game is located (not inside the WWSM08 directory in My Documents, right?). Now, the readme says to start a new game, then choose the PLA2008 database -- how do I do that?
Oops - you need to extract it to *your* data directory - which in this case would be the one under My Documents. Then, when you fire the game up and start a new game, the PLA2008 db should be chooseable.

If not, send me an email ptakers(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll help walk you through it.

Last edited by Toddzilla : 11-09-2007 at 07:11 AM.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:38 AM   #453
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
Oops - you need to extract it to *your* data directory - which in this case would be the one under My Documents. Then, when you fire the game up and start a new game, the PLA2008 db should be chooseable.

If not, send me an email ptakers(at)gmail(dot)com and I'll help walk you through it.

Thanks! Of course, I see this once I'm at work! :P I'll try that when I get home.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #454
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Thanks for all the work on the PLA, TZ. I am looking forward to checking it out when I get the game here... hopefully today.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:18 AM   #455
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

When we blow our winning streaks, we do it in spectacular fashion.

Gave my backup keeper a start, he proceeded to "lead" us to a lovely 3-0 defeat to snap our 11 game undefeated run, including 6 straight wins.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #456
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
When we blow our winning streaks, we do it in spectacular fashion.

Gave my backup keeper a start, he proceeded to "lead" us to a lovely 3-0 defeat to snap our 11 game undefeated run, including 6 straight wins.

cut the dude some slack, he was probably "severely lacking in match practice"
Old 11-09-2007, 09:50 AM   #457
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Fell just short of the Premiership losing 3-1 in the 2nd leg and 4-3 on aggregate in the semi=final. The vultures struck in the offseason, I lost about 8 players, so I'll definitely have some team building to do.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:25 AM   #458
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
cut the dude some slack, he was probably "severely lacking in match practice"

Only lacking match practice. Not severely, though he coulda fooled me.

For good reason. Every time I play him in a league game he gets mauled.

Horrible signing, really. I was scrambling for a keeper in the offseason, and went after 2. He agreed to a contract 24 hours before someone MUCH better (and someone who I didn't think would sign) agreed. So I got stuck with both of them. It's not that he's god awful, he's just....not all that good.

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 11-09-2007 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:00 PM   #459
Emiliano
College Prospect

For all the Euros still without the game: check out Play.com, they're running a great € 23,49 deal. I don't know if this is limited or not, the only thing I know is that I wasn't planning on buying, but now I'm tempted...
Old 11-09-2007, 11:04 PM   #460
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

Seems to be working perfectly now! Watch out for Grand Rapids!
Old 11-10-2007, 09:21 AM   #461
Izulde
Head Coach

I have no idea what team I want to start with.

I know I want a nation that has at least 3 or 4 divisions to have to fight your way through, with Conference North/South or lower level quality talent in general for the division.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:25 AM   #462
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I have no idea what team I want to start with.

I know I want a nation that has at least 3 or 4 divisions to have to fight your way through, with Conference North/South or lower level quality talent in general for the division.

Scottish 3rd Division is the rockinest I tell you.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:34 AM   #463
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Scottish 3rd Division is the rockinest I tell you.

I know a guy who played a handful of games in the Scottish 3rd Division as his dad was a butcher who provided cheap meat pies to the club on the condition they'd give him a chance.

That's how high level the 3rd division is.
Critch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #464
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I figure the lowest level division has to be in Northern Ireland. It seems crazy to have three playable leagues for a country so small.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #465
Izulde
Head Coach

I may have to try the Scottish 3rd level division then.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #466
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Has anybody found success using some less traditional formations now that we're all beta-patched up? I haven't been experimenting much, just playing 4-4-2 like I almost always do and it's doing pretty well but I'd like to create more scoring opportunities.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 03:16 PM   #467
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

I've been using a variation of the 4-1-2-1-2 (442 diamond) tactic I used in '06.

Fast paced, counterattacking game. Focused primary on getting the ball out to the wings and hitting the front 3 in stride. Has worked pretty well for me.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:40 PM   #468
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I've been using a variation of the 4-1-2-1-2 (442 diamond) tactic I used in '06.

Fast paced, counterattacking game. Focused primary on getting the ball out to the wings and hitting the front 3 in stride. Has worked pretty well for me.

I may try that again. I had good success with that before on the lower levels like I am playing now. I tried it early on with my Albion Rovers in year one but the whole team was stinkin' so I scrapped it. Now with some more talented guys coming in for my second year I may give it a try.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM   #469
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Is the SIgames.com site down? I decided this afternoon that I would download and buy this year's version, but it now seems my the internet is not cooperating. Can anyone link me directly to the "store" of whichever online distribution vender they are using?

Thanks!

Last edited by wbatl1 : 11-10-2007 at 05:00 PM.
wbatl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #470
highfiveoh
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbatl1 View Post
Is the SIgames.com site down? I decided this afternoon that I would download and buy this year's version, but it now seems my the internet is not cooperating. Can anyone link me directly to the "store" of whichever online distribution vender they are using?

Thanks!

http://www.direct2drive.com/1/5182/p...-2008-Download
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #471
wbatl1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfiveoh View Post

Many thanks! Now, does anyone know if there are any off-SI mirrors for this much discussed beta patch?
Old 11-10-2007, 05:23 PM   #472
highfiveoh
Banned

http://download.sega.com/u/fm2008_pa..._betapatch.exe
highfiveoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 05:25 PM   #473
wbatl1
High School Varsity

THANKS! And now, you probably won't see me for a while!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:15 PM   #474
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Just won promotion to Serie B, now it's time to make some tough decisions on who to keep and who to replace. Hopefully I get a bit of cash to spend in the offseason or this team will struggle to servive next year.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #475
Booj
High School JV

I'm playing as Hampton & Richmond in Blue Square South and have made a living off of low expectations.

I was expected to fight for relegation in my first season in BSS, but proceeded to win the entire thing, earning promotion to the Blue Square Premier. Again, I was expected to battle for relegation and currently am sitting in 8th and have allowed eight goals in 15 games.

I don't expect to get promoted to League 2 for a while as I'm having a heck of a time to get a transfer budget so I have to settle for season-long loans and go at it season-to-season.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 05:48 AM   #476
Emiliano
College Prospect

What the hell, I've ordered it! More than 50% off the regular price is too much to keeping me from checking out the game...
Old 11-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #477
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
What the hell, I've ordered it! More than 50% off the regular price is too much to keeping me from checking out the game...

Lol, then you can be called Italian again, you were going to lost your nationality because not owning a soccer game.

Btw, mate, long time no see you online in AIM/ICQ, the price to pay for your girlfriend living with you now?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:07 AM   #478
Emiliano
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Lol, then you can be called Italian again, you were going to lost your nationality because not owning a soccer game.

Ah ah, you're absolutely right. Not owning PES 2008 (or whatever is called) is already a crime here, but not owning even FM, man, you're convicted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
Btw, mate, long time no see you online in AIM/ICQ, the price to pay for your girlfriend living with you now?

Nah, she doesn't live with me yet. We're getting close, though... The real reason for not seeing me is that I've been CRAZY busy with work and study in September and October, and I had very very little free time. Now that things are more relaxed, you'll see me again, no worries. I can't wait to talk to you, got a lot of things to say.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM   #479
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Oops, I changed both my Captains heading into year two. Precisely right after I did that the little helpful hint the game gave me while simming to the next day was that you should be careful about changing captains to quickly, it may upset people. My whole team's morale went to the crapper except for the new captains. Lesson learned. Atleast it was still before the regular season.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #480
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm finally about to dive into the PLA. Have no idea where I'll start this year, but...should be a good time!
Old 11-11-2007, 01:25 PM   #481
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booj View Post
I'm playing as Hampton & Richmond in Blue Square South and have made a living off of low expectations.

I was expected to fight for relegation in my first season in BSS, but proceeded to win the entire thing, earning promotion to the Blue Square Premier. Again, I was expected to battle for relegation and currently am sitting in 8th and have allowed eight goals in 15 games.

I don't expect to get promoted to League 2 for a while as I'm having a heck of a time to get a transfer budget so I have to settle for season-long loans and go at it season-to-season.

What type of tactic are you using?

The closing down and morale issues are still a thorn for me after the beta patch. Especially closing down as it is a big part of my tactic. I am playing Millwall in L1 and started unbeaten in 13 last Season, installed the patch and finished 11th.

I went and spent every penny I had to get the right fit of players for my style and currently sit 1W 1D 2L (both away) after 4. I am hoping it just takes time for the new players to gel, as I play a high risk style and I need to score 2-3 goals a game as I get few clean sheets.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #482
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fo View Post
Has anybody found success using some less traditional formations now that we're all beta-patched up? I haven't been experimenting much, just playing 4-4-2 like I almost always do and it's doing pretty well but I'd like to create more scoring opportunities.

I've had pretty good success using the game's default 5-3-2 Attacking formation (mostly because the best player on my Conference North squad is a WBR/DR) and this formation gives your WBR/L (or DR/L) more of a role.

I've also noticed a lot of other computer controlled teams using this formation.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:00 PM   #483
Izulde
Head Coach

I need to visit a Tactics primer somewhere.

I've messed around with a couple games in the full version, but none of the teams are clicking with me yet.

Old 11-11-2007, 08:20 PM   #484
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone heard of guys running WWSM with the beta patch having problems with a blue screen of death? My computer has been fine since I have had the beta patch going, but all of the sudden it has gone crazy on me. I was playing some last night, saved it, and this morning when I went to load it my computer rebooted on me. The it rebooted right away again. The thing has locked up or rebooted about 50 times today now. I thought I was in the clear early and then I tried to play WWSM again. The game loaded, and about 3-4 minutes later I got the reboot again.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:26 AM   #485
Izulde
Head Coach

I hate the beta patch. Before it, I was winning some games and doing pretty decently.

Now I keep losing by scores like 11-0, 7-1, 8-0, etc.

It's irritating, since I'm not trying anything advanced or anything, just the basic 4-4-2 and it happens no matter what team I pick.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #486
gi
College Prospect

Quote:
Anyone heard of guys running WWSM with the beta patch having problems with a blue screen of death? My computer has been fine since I have had the beta patch going, but all of the sudden it has gone crazy on me. I was playing some last night, saved it, and this morning when I went to load it my computer rebooted on me. The it rebooted right away again. The thing has locked up or rebooted about 50 times today now. I thought I was in the clear early and then I tried to play WWSM again. The game loaded, and about 3-4 minutes later I got the reboot again.

I didn't have blue screens, but I had other issues. I had to completely uninstall the game and reinstall it with the beta patch to clear up my issues.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM   #487
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

Quote:
I hate the beta patch. Before it, I was winning some games and doing pretty decently.

Now I keep losing by scores like 11-0, 7-1, 8-0, etc.

It's irritating, since I'm not trying anything advanced or anything, just the basic 4-4-2 and it happens no matter what team I pick.

if your loosing by those huge margins i dont think you can blame the patch
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 09:20 AM   #488
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Just want to say I am about 99% sure now that my problem is NOT being caused from WWSM and the beta patch. I have had problems just being on the web or even doing nothing at all, in fact this is my second attempt at posting this.

I think my problem is from my hinges being broken on my laptop monitor and the wires running from laptop to monitor are getting messed up. Called tech support this morning and it will be shipped off soon to be repaired. Just didn't want to leave the blame on WWSM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #489
Booj
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
What type of tactic are you using?

The closing down and morale issues are still a thorn for me after the beta patch. Especially closing down as it is a big part of my tactic. I am playing Millwall in L1 and started unbeaten in 13 last Season, installed the patch and finished 11th.

I went and spent every penny I had to get the right fit of players for my style and currently sit 1W 1D 2L (both away) after 4. I am hoping it just takes time for the new players to gel, as I play a high risk style and I need to score 2-3 goals a game as I get few clean sheets.

I started off with a normal 4-4-2 but then switched to the 4-5-1 defensive. It works quite a bit defensively. I think it also helps that most of my back-line are loans from the parent club.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #490
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge View Post
if your loosing by those huge margins i dont think you can blame the patch

I don't know.. BYU 14 started off an 13 game win streak then installed the patch and ended up in 11th place...

Clearly the patch is affecting something somewhere. *shrugs*

Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 PM   #491
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I don't know.. BYU 14 started off an 13 game win streak then installed the patch and ended up in 11th place...

Clearly the patch is affecting something somewhere. *shrugs*

Maybe the problem was pre-patch?
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #492
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Maybe the problem was pre-patch?

Oh, it was, I'm sure.

I just liked actually winning.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:45 PM   #493
Izulde
Head Coach

I figured it out.

After the latest 7-2 drubbing, I realized what's wrong with the beta patch.

They KILLED the goalies.

Anywhere from 2-5 times a game, I'm seeing 30 and 35 yard shots go in and goalies have not stopped the ball once on either side.

NO GOALIE STOPS.

So yeah, the game's on the shelf until a finalized patch gets out.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #494
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yep. There's a known bug with long shots just being utterly insane, especially vs lower league teams.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #495
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Yep. There's a known bug with long shots just being utterly insane, especially vs lower league teams.

Which is precisely what I play with.

I feel a lot better now knowing that it's not me.

It's still disappointing to say the least.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #496
TroyF
Coordinator

I was going to say I haven't noticed anything at all, but I've been playing with Arsenal. In my new career I just started I've played 10 games, scored 2.1 a game and given up .7 a game.

Game would be on the shelf for me if that were happening.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:11 PM   #497
astrosfan64
College Prospect

I think this is the worst FM release ever. I'm really not that happy with the state of the game. I know it will get fixed and patched, but more and more FM is not an instant buy for me anymore. I'll definately wait next year to patch 1 or 2 before I purchase it.
astrosfan64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #498
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrosfan64 View Post
I think this is the worst FM release ever. I'm really not that happy with the state of the game. I know it will get fixed and patched, but more and more FM is not an instant buy for me anymore. I'll definately wait next year to patch 1 or 2 before I purchase it.

I was actually fine with it, had a blast with the demo etc, until the bug that broke LLM happened.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:21 PM   #499
Shepp
High School Varsity

Maybe next year, instead of releasing the game at the end of October and then releasing a patch towards the end of November, they will keep it for the extra month and make sure the bugs are worked out before release.
Shepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #500
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

Quote:
I figured it out.

After the latest 7-2 drubbing, I realized what's wrong with the beta patch.

They KILLED the goalies.

Anywhere from 2-5 times a game, I'm seeing 30 and 35 yard shots go in and goalies have not stopped the ball once on either side.

NO GOALIE STOPS.

So yeah, the game's on the shelf until a finalized patch gets out.

*shrug* Even if it's true, it's not bothering me too much. I've only conceded 38 goals through 35 games.