Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #1
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

2006-07 Soccer Thread

Wow, Juventus apparently KNOWS they are toast and want to try to plea-bargain their way to a lesser punishment, wonder what's going to happen to the other three teams in the match-fixing scandals.

LAZIO CHIEF PLEADS INNOCENCE

It was the turn of Lazio president Claudio Lotito to plead his innocence in the Italian match-fixing trial on Thursday.

Former Juventus chief executive Antonio Giraudo and Fiorentina owner Diego della Valle argued their case yesterday, but Lotito's representatives went for a different tack.

On Wednesday, Juventus appealed for a reduction to their punishment - an enforced relegation to at least the third division and a points deduction next season.

Juve's defence lawyer Cesare Zaccone said "an acceptable punishment would be (relegation to) Serie B with a points deduction", but this has been interpreted as an acceptance of guilt, and Lazio will not be following suit.

"We are calling for complete acquittal, both for the club and for the president," explained Lotito's advocate Gian Michele Gentile before chief prosecutor Cesare Ruperto.

"There is no wrongdoing, Lotito didn't even have (former FIGC president Franco) Carraro's telephone number.

"We will not be doing what Juve are doing because we have nothing to admit since we are absolutely innocent," he added.

The same line is being taken by AC Milan and Fiorentina - the other two teams in the dock - who are unwilling to accept the punishment in any form.

"We are shocked by the recommendations of the federal prosecutor of sanctions which do not correspond to the facts," said Milan's advocate, Leonardo Cantamessa.

Meanwhile, Fiorentina's defence lawyer Giuseppe Morbidelli asked for his clients to be "released" in a defence file handed to the prosecutors.

Pierluigi Pairetto, the man who designated which referees officiated at which Serie A games and is alleged to have been influenced in his decision-making by former Juve general manager Luciano Moggi, also laid down his defence on Thursday.

"Only Houdini would be able to fiddle the choice of referee," joked his advocate Giorgio Merlone.

Pairetto faces a five-year ban and a fine of 5,000 euros (£3,500) if proved guilty of fixing the choice of referees.

The trial, which is due to conclude this weekend, will see a total of 26 individuals and four clubs in the dock.

The prosecutor's recommendation and what it would mean:

Juventus to be sent down to at least Serie C/1 (2 levels down) and assessed a six point penalty next year: Result: Probably back up to Serie A in two years if they can sell off some of their players to provide an operating cushion in the mean time.

AC Millan sent down one level to Serie B and penalized three points. Result: Right back up to Serie A in one year, most likely.

Lazio and Fiorentina: Both sent down one level to Serie B and penalized FIFTEEN POINTS each (5 wins). Result: Yeah, they're getting screwed here. Year one, there's probably no way they can get back straight up starting FIVE WINS behind everyone else, especially with AC Milan around. Then in year two, Juventus would likely be up with them, taking one of the three promotion spots.

SirFozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:35 PM   #2
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

am i the only one who gets a feeling they will get a slap on the wrist?
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:40 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

yup. Juventus has pretty much said they expect to go down at least one division.

I mean, this is not your garden variety stuff we're talking about here
Old 07-06-2006, 11:08 PM   #4
Galaxy
Coordinator

Will this destroy the reps and ability of the big Italian clubs to compete in the future with the big powers in the rest of Europe?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #5
Mac Howard
Sick as a Parrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Will this destroy the reps and ability of the big Italian clubs to compete in the future with the big powers in the rest of Europe?

I doubt it. The reputation of Italian football isn't high already and the support these clubs have, particularly Juve and Milan, will see them return to prominence very quickly. From that point on it's a case of "money doesn't talk it swears" and they, along with Italian football in general, will have little trouble building back to their 05/06 position. In a couple of year's time all will be forgiven if not forgotten.

Last edited by Mac Howard : 07-06-2006 at 11:18 PM.
Mac Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:40 AM   #6
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Howard
I doubt it. The reputation of Italian football isn't high already and the support these clubs have, particularly Juve and Milan, will see them return to prominence very quickly. From that point on it's a case of "money doesn't talk it swears" and they, along with Italian football in general, will have little trouble building back to their 05/06 position. In a couple of year's time all will be forgiven if not forgotten.

"".

Aye - Firorentina died 7-8 years ago - now, no one knows or cares (although that was for different reasons). Juve will serve their 2 year penalty, sign some decent players, and come back up. It will take time, because they have talent of a lifetime (players like Buffon, Nedved, and co aren't really replaceable), but still.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletsponge
am i the only one who gets a feeling they will get a slap on the wrist?

I am waiting for this to happen as well. Some sort of magical evidence, or last minute overturning of the decision on a technicality.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:11 AM   #8
Critch
lolzcat

There was a report in the Italian press yesterday that Juventus are going to Serie C, will start the season with a 15 point penalty, and will be banned from signing players for the next 3 years.

The other three will be in Serie B with a 3 or 5 point penalty.

If Inter don't win Serie A next season, they should just give up.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #9
Butter
Coordinator

Wow, sending them down 2 divisions... what exactly are the charges again?
Old 07-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #10
Critch
lolzcat

They all had little arrangement with the referees federation where they could pick and choose who refereed their games and who refereed their rivals games. So Juve could give themselves a referee they liked while ensuring a future opponent got some card happy lunatic so they would play Juventus with a few players suspended.

I'm not sure if there's actually any claim that the referees were being dishonest, or if it was just playing the percentages.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:42 AM   #11
Critch
lolzcat

dola on a different subject.

Looks like we're losing the German Bundesliga from FSC and Setanta this season, the new rights-owners have jacked up the prices too high. Only ProsiebenWelt (the German language channel) will have it.

FSC seems to be losing quite a lot, they're losing both the French and German leagues, no word on what if anything will replace them.

Setanta finally looks worth buying, they're adding EPL, Dutch league and maybe Portuguese. Also rumored to be showing more live Scottish League.

I'll miss the Bundesliga, but it's good to see Setanta adding new stuff.

edit - Just noticed SirFozzie posted a more indepth version of what goes where on the bigsoccer boards. Sorry for stealing your thunder over here

Last edited by Critch : 07-07-2006 at 07:45 AM.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:51 AM   #12
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch

Looks like we're losing the German Bundesliga from FSC and Setanta this season, the new rights-owners have jacked up the prices too high. Only ProsiebenWelt (the German language channel) will have it.

FSC seems to be losing quite a lot, they're losing both the French and German leagues, no word on what if anything will replace them.

Setanta finally looks worth buying, they're adding EPL, Dutch league and maybe Portuguese. Also rumored to be showing more live Scottish League.

edit - Just noticed SirFozzie posted a more indepth version of what goes where on the bigsoccer boards. Sorry for stealing your thunder over here

Is Setanta going to be carrying live EPL? That may be, along with more Scottish Premier, what gets me to purchase the broadband package.

That's too bad about FSC losing the Bundesliga, but I rarely watched it, so no biggie. My main concerns are England, Spain, and the European cups. Not enough time in the day to watch much more than that.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #13
Butter
Coordinator

Is FSC seriously just trying to have EPL and that's it? I mean, they already dropped MLS coverage... and frankly, their programming is thin as it is. GolTV has WAY more actual soccer than FSC does. I care about the EPL, but give me something else to go along with it aside from the occasional USL game and 20 year old FA Cup Final replays. Sheesh.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:00 AM   #14
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Is Setanta going to be carrying live EPL? That may be, along with more Scottish Premier, what gets me to purchase the broadband package.

The rumor is that the ppv coverage is going away (right after I'd carefully negotiated a deal with wifey where I could pay $400 for the annual pass) and Setanta will have those games.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #15
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

FSC probably makes all its money on the EPL, so they probably aren't too concerned.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #16
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

In the US, what is my best option for watching English Premier League action?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 08:03 AM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The rumor is that the ppv coverage is going away (right after I'd carefully negotiated a deal with wifey where I could pay $400 for the annual pass) and Setanta will have those games.

Actually, IIRC, the rumor is that the formerly PPV games will be ON FSC, but FSC will sell the crappier games (in terms of star matchups) to Setanta.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:04 AM   #18
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
In the US, what is my best option for watching English Premier League action?

Fox Soccer Channel.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:09 AM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui
Fox Soccer Channel.

Follow-up question. Do you know if this is available as part of a package on most cable networks? I've got comcast, and i'm fairly certain I don't have it now.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:12 AM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Follow-up question. Do you know if this is available as part of a package on most cable networks? I've got comcast, and i'm fairly certain I don't have it now.

It's on my Comcast digital sports tier ($5/month extra.. and you have to have digital cable, of course).
Old 07-07-2006, 08:14 AM   #21
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
It's on my Comcast digital sports tier ($5/month extra.. and you have to have digital cable, of course).

Thanks, i'll look into it when I get home...
Old 07-07-2006, 08:18 AM   #22
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Actually, IIRC, the rumor is that the formerly PPV games will be ON FSC, but FSC will sell the crappier games (in terms of star matchups) to Setanta.

That would make sense, get Setanta into it before they bid for the US EPL rights later this year. Setanta have just bought up a chunk of the EPL coverage in the UK, so I guess they'll be making the US EPL rights bid too.

Looks like next season FSC will have 4 live EPL games and 1 SDD every weekend (if you include the Monday afternoon game as the weekend )
Old 07-07-2006, 08:35 AM   #23
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:

Link to said post please?
Old 07-07-2006, 08:44 AM   #24
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Link to said post please?

hxxp://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=379533
Old 07-07-2006, 09:51 AM   #25
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Sentanta will be showing the Saturday 7:30 am game, plus a 10:00 contest. On Sunday they will be showing the 8:30 am game.
FSC will also show a Saturday 10:00 contest, the 12:00 game, and a tape-delay at 3:00 of another 10:00 am contest. On Sunday, they will show the 11:00 am game.

FSC won't be selling games on to Setanta
Old 07-07-2006, 09:59 AM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Here is a great read on ESPN.com about the NY Cosmos and Pele's effect on soccer in the US during the 70s:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/etick...t&lid=tab3pos1

Great stuff!
Old 07-07-2006, 10:01 AM   #27
KevinNU7
College Starter

I've never heard of Setanta. How long have they been around?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:08 AM   #28
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

they are in their 2nd full year of games, right now they're only on DirecTV and cost $12 a month. They're hoping to announce an agreement with DISH network for the same thing (and this EPL thing might just do that).

They carry Soccer (too many different leagues to mention, but now they have both EPL and English League Soccer as well), Gaelic Sports (Hurling and Gaelic Football), Aussie Rules Football, and Rugby.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:49 AM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So, are any Americans going to see the documentary on the Cosmos? From the article I linked above, it sounds like it may be incredibly interesting.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:50 AM   #30
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I'm planning on it if it's nearby. Otherwise, I'll wait for it to show on ESPN
Old 07-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #31
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
So, are any Americans going to see the documentary on the Cosmos? From the article I linked above, it sounds like it may be incredibly interesting.

I'm sure this is in pretty limited release. It ran at a couple of film festivals here in NYC, and i'm sure it'll be in theaters in the city as well, but outside of that it'll probably be pretty tough to find.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:59 AM   #32
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Hoo boy. Please, say it ain't so. Rumors of Newcastle trying to get Beckham.

Newcastle needs a lot of things, but a poor midfielder whose only saving grace is stellar set pieces they do not need.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
Hoo boy. Please, say it ain't so. Rumors of Newcastle trying to get Beckham.

Newcastle needs a lot of things, but a poor midfielder whose only saving grace is stellar set pieces they do not need.

Oh God... I HOPE its a rumor. Look, I like Beckham, but we don't need to waste money on him. Now I realize there are fears that Solano may be spending some time in a Peruvian jail cell, but that's what Dyer is for (on second thought.. )

We need the money for a striker, above all, and a central defender. That money is much better spent on Kuyt and a central defender to replace Boumsong.

Though the big rumor is that we'll get Darren Bent soon, as he has stated that he wants to come to Newcastle.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 07-07-2006 at 12:13 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #34
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Comcast is awesome. You can get FSC and GoalTV for $5 a month. Also they have the MLS DirectKick package but I am not sure of the price.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:22 PM   #35
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
Comcast is awesome. You can get FSC and GoalTV for $5 a month. Also they have the MLS DirectKick package but I am not sure of the price.

I'm pretty sure that's priced at like 70 bucks.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

There is cojones.. there is chutzpah.. and then there is THIS:

Former top executives of Italian soccer club Juventus deserve praise for helping Italy reach the World Cup final rather than being put on trial for alleged match-fixing, a lawyer for one of the men said on Friday.

Paolo Trofino, representing former Juventus general manager Luciano Moggi at a tribunal hearing the case, painted a grim picture of Italian football where "illegal behaviour is so diffuse that it is considered legal."

He stressed instead the role that Moggi and former Juventus Chief Executive Antonio Giraudo played in turning the Turin club into the backbone of the current Italian national side.

"On Sunday night, when Italy play France in the World Cup final, you will see on your television screens that more than a third of the players on the pitch were employed by Moggi and Giraudo," the lawyer said.

"You will see (Italian national coach Marcello) Lippi, who coached Juventus."

rofino said the tribunal should be suspended, arguing that the intercepted telephone calls on which the case rests represented only a fraction of calls made by Moggi.

The scandal broke in May with the publication of intercepted telephone conversations between Moggi and Italian soccer officials, discussing refereeing appointments.

As well as Juventus, top Italian soccer clubs AC Milan, Fiorentina and Lazio have been accused of sporting fraud by a sports prosecutor. The clubs deny the charge.

Juventus risk relegation to Italy's third division and the others could go down to the second division. The prosecutor also wants all four teams to be docked points next season.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:32 PM   #37
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Now I realize there are fears that Solano may be spending some time in a Peruvian jail cell, but that's what Dyer is for (on second thought.. )

Is Dyer for replacing Solano, or for spending time in Peruvian jail cells?
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:44 PM   #38
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon
Is Dyer for replacing Solano, or for spending time in Peruvian jail cells?

I assume either will do .

Though I forget that the Magpies get Milner back and if need be, he can go there.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:28 AM   #39
Butter
Coordinator

So, sounds like ManU wants to keep C. Ronaldo.... this doesn't seem like it's going to end well, does it?
Old 07-12-2006, 07:53 AM   #40
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69
So, sounds like ManU wants to keep C. Ronaldo.... this doesn't seem like it's going to end well, does it?

He'd better get a body guard or two. And that's just for training with Rooney
Old 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM   #41
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

If the Italians lessen the punishment of Juve et al because Italy won the World Cup then that is disgraceful. They must be made an example of some others think twicw before they fix matches. It won't be as easy as people think for them to rebound to Serie A. What type of players will they attract to play in Serie C? Also if they are truly unable to sign players for a set term that will make it tougher yet not to mention the point deduction. I guess they could field a good enough team from their reserves or youth club but a 15 point penalty is big.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 11:54 AM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

One Italian newspaper says Juve down to B with 15 point penalty (rough, but they could make it back up immediately) and the other teams with 3-9 point penalties but no relegation
Old 07-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #43
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Ferguson really needs to unload him. If youcan get $25mil for him, cut your losses and move on. He is a great young player but he can be replaced and I have a feeling if he sticks around then it is going to have a negative effect on team morale.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:06 PM   #44
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
One Italian newspaper says Juve down to B with 15 point penalty (rough, but they could make it back up immediately) and the other teams with 3-9 point penalties but no relegation

I hope Juve gets sent to Serie C so I can manage them in FM07. It would be a perfect empty cupboard.

Last edited by Desnudo : 07-12-2006 at 01:07 PM.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:08 PM   #45
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

That is ridiculously little punishment for any of those teams.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:13 PM   #46
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
There is cojones.. there is chutzpah.. and then there is THIS:

rofino said the tribunal should be suspended, arguing that the intercepted telephone calls on which the case rests represented only a fraction of calls made by Moggi.

This section is completely nonsensical. Unless something was lost in translation. What is that joke?

Hell is a place where: the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the police are German, and the government is run by the Italians

I too think everyone will get a slap on the wrist. I would be suprised if anyone but Juve gets relegated and I think Juve will only go to Serie B. If you look at all the political pressure being exerted, there's no way the full punishment gets implemented. Especially after the WC win and the tribunal delaying its decision.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:19 PM   #47
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Is FSC seriously just trying to have EPL and that's it? I mean, they already dropped MLS coverage... and frankly, their programming is thin as it is. GolTV has WAY more actual soccer than FSC does. I care about the EPL, but give me something else to go along with it aside from the occasional USL game and 20 year old FA Cup Final replays. Sheesh.

They also have the Serie A and AC Milan TV.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #48
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
This section is completely nonsensical. Unless something was lost in translation. What is that joke?

Hell is a place where: the cooks are English, the mechanics are French, the police are German, and the government is run by the Italians

I too think everyone will get a slap on the wrist. I would be suprised if anyone but Juve gets relegated and I think Juve will only go to Serie B. If you look at all the political pressure being exerted, there's no way the full punishment gets implemented. Especially after the WC win and the tribunal delaying its decision.

I think he's trying to mitigate, that not all calls made by Moggi were to illegally influence folks. (of coursem that makes no sense)
Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #49
Bea-Arthurs Hip
H.S. Freshman Team

Headed off tonight to go see some US Open Cup Soccer!!

Called up the wife about a 1/2 hour ago and told her to have the kids
fed and ready to leave when I got home. I told her I was going to give
her a break and take the kids out. All my kids are under the age of 10 and have been heavily influenced by my FM addiction so of course they are real excited to go watch some "Football boys".

Michigan Bucks (USL PDL) vs. Columbus Crew (MLS) 7:30 PM up in Rochester Michigan.

They met earlier in the year and Columbus had their way with them 4-0.

This is purely 100% a side effect of FM. Two years ago I would have never even imagined me going to a Soccer match.

Go Bucks!
Bea-Arthurs Hip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 01:54 PM   #50
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenEagle
He is a great young player but he can be replaced and I have a feeling if he sticks around then it is going to have a negative effect on team morale.

Shipping him out may also have a negative effect on team morale, especially if players feel like the club has not supported Ronaldo.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote