Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-10-2006, 08:23 AM   #101
TroyF
Coordinator

Some chippy fouls here. Looks to be just a matter of time before England break them down and get the second.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:28 AM   #102
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Okay, this Play by Play sucks - badly. This is what happens when you put a baseball guy because he's your "guy', instead of getting a proper football guy - his PBP is delayed, because that's how it works in baseball, and he doesn't seem to know what the hell he's doing.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:30 AM   #103
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Gah - this is driving me nuts. Crouch is dribbling in the corner, and the idiot (Dave O Brien) is talking "excitedly" about the cross out to the wing, as if its a goal scoring opportunity - and he doesn't talk that away when they actually have a goal scoring chance. UGh.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:38 AM   #104
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Musberger's pretty bad, too. Although, that's stating the obvious.

I'm a little bummed. Didn't set an alarm, because I'm always up before 7. Woke up at 8:15, so I missed a few minutes (and a goal), and am watching in my jammies. Ah, well.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:46 AM   #105
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Musberger's pretty bad, too. Although, that's stating the obvious.

I'm a little bummed. Didn't set an alarm, because I'm always up before 7. Woke up at 8:15, so I missed a few minutes (and a goal), and am watching in my jammies. Ah, well.

Roffle - my story, except I did set an alarm, and woke up at 9:15. I'm bummed as well, because O Brien is significantly affecting my enjoyment of the event - he has no clue what the hell he's talking about, and it shows. Why not let Tommy Smyth (who's mediocre, but at least knows the game) do it instead of O Brien; he doesn't know any of the terminology, he can't pronounce the names, and he doesn't know when to be excited (like someone just shot - he doesn't say something, waits 10 seconds, then starts describing what's happening- GAH!). I think I'm going to tear my hear out if I keep hearing this guy.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 06-10-2006 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:48 AM   #106
Celeval
Pro Starter

That was a pretty bad dive by Pereires.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #107
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

DO what I am doing.

Watch the game on UniVision. I didn't even know the game was on ABC until right now, so I have had it on the spanish channel.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #108
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

HD mon...
Old 06-10-2006, 08:55 AM   #109
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot
HD mon...

blah.
Old 06-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #110
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Okay, this Play by Play sucks - badly. This is what happens when you put a baseball guy because he's your "guy', instead of getting a proper football guy - his PBP is delayed, because that's how it works in baseball, and he doesn't seem to know what the hell he's doing.

Agreed. Dave Revsen (sp?) is horrible. I'm off to see if I can find BBC radio coverage of this game online and turning the sound off.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:05 AM   #111
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:
HD mon...

Ah, the local idiots at ABC here forgot to turn on the HD feed until 20 minutes into the game.

Agree the annoucers sucks. Balboa drives me just as crazy.

1st half - thought Gerrard, Cole, Crouch, and Becks played well. Cole looked shaky in the back, disappointed in Lampard ... and Owen is non-existent.

They need some better crosses.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:06 AM   #112
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Balboa sucks as usual. I actually think O'Brien is decent. *Shurg*
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #113
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

O Brien's gotten a little better in the 2nd half - its almost as if someone showed him a broadcast of how to do it. Still, I would have preferred a football commentator - I don't see how taking an amateur who's never done it before is given a platform for the world's biggest stage.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:23 AM   #114
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

DOla, England don't look particularly inspiring - heck, it does seem like there's absolutely no offensive initiative.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #115
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Yeah, the game has turned rather dull. I can see Paraguay coming back on a quick counter and equalizing.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #116
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

That was an ABSURD foul call.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #117
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
DOla, England don't look particularly inspiring - heck, it does seem like there's absolutely no offensive initiative.

Not at all. They are going to screw around and end up with a tie if they aren't careful. They should be attacking a lot more. No excuse to only have one at this point.

About time the official calls a dive on the guy from Paraguay, this is getting ridiculous.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:31 AM   #118
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Not at all. They are going to screw around and end up with a tie if they aren't careful. They should be attacking a lot more. No excuse to only have one at this point.

About time the official calls a dive on the guy from Paraguay, this is getting ridiculous.

Aye - what worries is this looks awfully like Lisbon, circa 2004 against France - Paraguay don't have a Thierry Henry, but Cruz and Valdez are both top notch strikers who can nip behind that line. They're playing so deep, in a virtual 4-4-1-1 right now - and I don't see much inspiration.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #119
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

What a save!
Old 06-10-2006, 09:32 AM   #120
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Agreed on both points. Also, I agree on the earlier HD point. After watching one game in HD, I don't think I could ever willingly go back, no matter how much the announcers are annoying me.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:33 AM   #121
TroyF
Coordinator

Beckham may be overrated by some people, but my God he's an incredible passer. It's amazing to watch what he can do with the ball sometimes.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:35 AM   #122
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Beckham may be overrated by some people, but my God he's an incredible passer. It's amazing to watch what he can do with the ball sometimes.

No doubt - as a right sided midfielder, he's one of the best in the world. Becks is one of the world's 40 best players - the problem is that the hype suggests he's top 5. IN the England squad, I would argue only Gerrard and Rooney are better.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:36 AM   #123
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Well that tackle was all shin, no ball.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:38 AM   #124
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin
Well that tackle was all shin, no ball.

While England is playing some poor football and I think they'd deserve a draw here, the ref has been terrible for much of the match. How he can call the foul against Crouch and then let the one on Downing go is beyond me.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:39 AM   #125
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
While England is playing some poor football and I think they'd deserve a draw here, the ref has been terrible for much of the match. How he can call the foul against Crouch and then let the one on Downing go is beyond me.

I agree. I'm supporting England in their group, but after the first ten minutes or so,their playing as been somewhat uninspired. But the officiating has been ludicrous.

/tk
Old 06-10-2006, 09:40 AM   #126
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

The call against Downing was pretty absurd - the ref seems to have no clue. As long as there are no red cards, it should be okay.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #127
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Not a real surprise, Cole is coming out of the game.

Hargreaves in.

/tk
Old 06-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #128
TroyF
Coordinator

OK, after watching the last call, the ref should be asked to leave Germany and move to the USA so he can ref the Finals.

Now I know where Stern gets his officials.
Old 06-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #129
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if these are the "replacement/substitute" or "part-time" refs that they talked about before the tournament started...

This was some horrific officiating.

/tk
Old 06-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #130
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Question about the own goal decision... that looked like a pretty solid shot to me, so why wasn't Beckham credited with the goal?

Who makes the official call on that, the on-field ref or some sort of scorekeeper?
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #131
Critch
lolzcat

That was awful, glad it's over. England were pretty bad but never really looked in trouble either.

For the coverage, I gave up on ABC and watched the second half on Setanta with German commentary. I couldn't understand a word, but the screen wasn't covered in graphics and the picture quality was much better. I wonder if ABC intentionally toned down the picture quality to make their HD look better?
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 AM   #132
moriarty
College Starter

Well that was a typical Sven lead peformance. No inventiveness on offense. Joe Cole made a few runs, otherwise the offense consisted of overplayed crosses, long balls to Crouch, and Lampard shooting from outside the box.

Blah, England isn't going too far beyond the group stage playing like that.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:36 AM   #133
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000
Question about the own goal decision... that looked like a pretty solid shot to me, so why wasn't Beckham credited with the goal?

Who makes the official call on that, the on-field ref or some sort of scorekeeper?

I'm not sure about who makes that call, but I would call it an own goal as well. He jumped and tried to head it wide of the goal. He miscalculated. I would have given Beckham the goal if it just inadvertently deflected off of a player who wasn't actively trying to head/direct the ball wide of goal.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:39 AM   #134
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthomer5000

Not sure who makes the call, but it was pretty clearly off the head of the defender, hence the own goal decision.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:41 AM   #135
AlexB
Pro Starter

3 points, decent start but awful 2nd half performance.

Thought Joe Cole played pretty well, Gerrard was good in the 1st, Becks and Crouch were OK too. Got nothing from either full back, and at times Terry and Ferdinand were less than convincing.

But the ref didn't help by penalising Peter Crouch every time he challenged for the ball (presumably for being too tall ), and they only had two moments where they looked slightly dangerous. Don't think they had a decent effort on target.

TV here was showering praise on the performance at half time, which puzzled me as I thought we were no better than average tbh, but the second half was terrible offensively. The lack of attacking options (in terms of both personnel and creativity) without Rooney showed itself - we had no-one who could replace Owen: either Cole or Gerrard had to be alongside Crouch rather than just behind him if we were going to hit it in the air to the big fella every time.

But, I guess winning the first game is what really matters.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:42 AM   #136
MJ4H
Coordinator

I thought Crouch was pretty awful, myself.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #137
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
Not sure who makes the call, but it was pretty clearly off the head of the defender, hence the own goal decision.

Well, contact alone isn't enough to cause that decision. I'm guessing the fact that it was clearly an intentional contact by the defender probably made it an own goal. I'm just curious on what exactly the thought process is when (whoever) makes the decision.

Last edited by cthomer5000 : 06-10-2006 at 10:51 AM.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #138
AlexB
Pro Starter

After they took Owen off he (Crouch) wasn't great, as he had no support, and hasn;t got the pace to get away from the defence himself. His game is to be the first target of a ball played up, lay it off to a teammate to allow the support to help the attack, and then get in the middle to try and get on the end of crosses.

He did all of what he was supposed to do well, but there weren't really any good crosses for him (bar one where he allowed himself to be blocked off too easily)

Last edited by AlexB : 06-10-2006 at 10:50 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 10:59 AM   #139
Oilers9911
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Roffle - my story, except I did set an alarm, and woke up at 9:15. I'm bummed as well, because O Brien is significantly affecting my enjoyment of the event - he has no clue what the hell he's talking about, and it shows. Why not let Tommy Smyth (who's mediocre, but at least knows the game) do it instead of O Brien; he doesn't know any of the terminology, he can't pronounce the names, and he doesn't know when to be excited (like someone just shot - he doesn't say something, waits 10 seconds, then starts describing what's happening- GAH!). I think I'm going to tear my hear out if I keep hearing this guy.

Shame you gents don't have access to Sportsnet from here in Canada. We get the British announcers for every game.
Oilers9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:06 AM   #140
MrBug708
Head Coach

That was a bit more then 10 yards given...more like 13
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:31 AM   #141
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

I like Peter Crouch. I really do. He's seems like a nice guy and he works hard. Having said that, there is no way he should be starting for England. England had no offense today because all they did was try to float the ball in for Crouch. For a guy that's 6'7" this should be no problem, but he never seems to win these balls because he doesn't have the strength to battle with defenders.

Of course, Sven has created this problem for himself. Who else plays up front with Owen? Walcott?
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #142
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I suck. I taped the the England match (on HD) and had every intention to watch the full match. About 15 minutes in I open the laptop on reflex, and of course the first thing I see is "England wins 1-nil on own goal." Nothing kills the excitement of watching a match like knowing the final score, and knowing the only score was less than two minutes in.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 06-10-2006 at 11:45 AM.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:51 AM   #143
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Sweden is just having a helluva time finishing anything.

Go T&T! (Gotta root for the Carrib teams)
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:05 PM   #144
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Avery John hits the showers.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #145
RendeR
Coordinator

Holy hell what a complete acting job by that swedish player. "OH god FOUL call a FOUL please, he tripped me!!"

Gah, get off the pitch you freak.

Go TT!
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:25 PM   #146
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I suck. I taped the the England match (on HD) and had every intention to watch the full match. About 15 minutes in I open the laptop on reflex, and of course the first thing I see is "England wins 1-nil on own goal." Nothing kills the excitement of watching a match like knowing the final score, and knowing the only score was less than two minutes in.

I actually made it through the work day and through all last night without finding out the score, and I watched yesterday's games early this morning.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #147
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wow. the swedes are completely unimpressive here to me up a man.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #148
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Way to go T&T. Hislop was damn good.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #149
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Hislop had some AMAZING saves there just in the second half (which was all i saw getting in from work). Wow...T&T, even if they do nothing else, has done huge here to send a wakeup call to Sweden (who was a #1 seed going in don't forget)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #150
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

What an awesome performance by Trinidad and Tobago.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote