Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2004, 12:15 PM   #51
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue
I never really thought Osgood was the reason the Wings lost in 2000 and 2001. I actually thought he was one of the better players in both years. 1999 wasn't his fault either, because he was injured and only played after Ranford totally imploded. The problem with Osgood is that he's prone to let up a soft goal from time to time and to give up the untimely goal. I think he's a decent goalie. THen again it's true that I never felt 100% comfortable going into a playoff series with him in net.

My stance on Osgood has never changed since that black day last year when we traded for him. He is a solid goal tender who during the regular season won't hurt you. However he is not the type of goalie who can steal a game for you. And in the playoffs you generally need to steal one game per series. He just flat out can't do that for you. So unless you are heading into the playoffs with some of those stacked Dead Wings teams he played on he is not going to be the answer for you.

That is why I was so frustrated with the Blues when they traded for him. It is clear that while the Blues have lacked scoring punch the last few seasons their primary problem has been between the pipes. Everyone has known this for the last few years and the only moves they have made to sure up the goal tending is to trade for Osgood and Brathwaite. Are you kidding me? That is your answer????

primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:18 PM   #52
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
Since sterlingice mentioned Roman Turek, anyone want to take a guess as to how many playoff games he appears in this season?

Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 04:22 PM   #53
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
I think Iginla will be on fire, Kiprusoff will keep the puck out of the net and Calgary will win it's first series since Karim was knee-high to a grasshopper.

That works for me!

I'm glad I was "hockey conscious" during the late eighties and during our run in 1989. The new generation can't believe we were once good.

When the Flames won in 1989, Lanny McDonald was the highest paid player at $300,000 CDN.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:41 PM   #54
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Nieuwendyk was just a pup, too.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 05:27 PM   #55
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
That works for me!

I'm glad I was "hockey conscious" during the late eighties and during our run in 1989. The new generation can't believe we were once good.

When the Flames won in 1989, Lanny McDonald was the highest paid player at $300,000 CDN.

Lanny's Stats
GP G A Pts PIM

NHL Totals 1111 500 506 1006 899

300,000. Shit, now look what they are paying guys like Lindros. Damn shame.
Hurst2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:14 PM   #56
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The order of selection for the first 14 drafting positions in the first round, only, of the 2004 Entry Draft is as follows:

1. Washington Capitals
2. Pittsburgh Penguins
3. Chicago Blackhawks
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
5. Phoenix Coyotes
6. NY Rangers
7. Florida Panthers
8. Carolina Hurricanes
9. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim
10. Atlanta Thrashers
11. Los Angeles Kings
12. Minnesota Wild
13. Buffalo Sabres
14. Edmonton Oilers

FIX! FIX! Draft lottery is a fix. Wait, this isn't the NBA. Anyways, Hawks slip a spot to 3 as Washington leapfrogged them and the Pens for the #1 spot in next year's draft.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:17 PM   #57
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Could I have not made it more clear that DiPietro is extremely inconsistent?!?!

Did you even read everything I wrote?

I sure did....i just misread it.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:22 PM   #58
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

If Buffalo would have just traded us Satan, they'd have a couple good prospects and a top 10 pick.

*sigh*
Old 04-07-2004, 08:07 AM   #59
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Buffalo need Satan.

LET'S START THE GAMES!!!!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:44 AM   #60
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Just one more request looking to see if anyone is interested in joining my NHL playoff pool at: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...threadid=58770
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 08:58 AM   #61
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

But then I'd have to register over there...

How about starting one here, too?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #62
chrisj
H.S. Freshman Team

Location: Edmonton, Alberta (but still wishing I was in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
But then I'd have to register over there...

How about starting one here, too?

Hmm... I guess I had always assumed most people had accounts on both. For anyone that doesn't and wants to take part, I'll take picks over here too.

The rules:

Pick the winning teams, and amount of games in the series (ie: Tampa Bay in 6)

0 points for the Incorrect team
(ie: New York wins, 0 points)

5 points for the Correct team
(ie: T Bay wins +5)

-1 for every game off of the amount played
(ie: Tampa in 4, so -2)

According to this the most amount of points you can get in one series is 5, however the least amount is -3.

First Round matchups:

Detriot vs Nashville
San Jose vs St. Louis
Vancouver vs Calgary
Colorado vs Dallas

Tampa Bay vs New York Islanders
Boston vs Montreal
Philadelphia vs New Jersey
Toronto vs Ottawa
chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:28 AM   #63
Butter
Coordinator

So, which goalie gets hot and carries his unlikely team to the Stanley Cup Finals this year?
Old 04-07-2004, 11:31 AM   #64
rkmsuf
Head Coach

I like saying Nikolai Khabibulin...
Old 04-07-2004, 12:28 PM   #65
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
Hmm... I guess I had always assumed most people had accounts on both. For anyone that doesn't and wants to take part, I'll take picks over here too.

The rules:

According to this the most amount of points you can get in one series is 5, however the least amount is -3.

First Round matchups:

Detriot vs Nashville
San Jose vs St. Louis
Vancouver vs Calgary
Colorado vs Dallas

Boston vs Montreal
Toronto vs Ottawa

I refer you to my earlier post for my picks.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 12:34 PM   #66
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Man. Here it is. The first day of the playoffs. The day I would normally rush home to watch the CBC intro that would always have that one song (not the Hockey Night in Canada music, but a song, with words that would be shown as a montage of the play-off teams), I have no idea what the name of it was, but it was a classic in a cheesy 80's rock anthem sort of way. Then I would settle in for hours and hours of glorious hockey, hoping for as many overtimes as possible in any non-Red Wing game.

Now. All I have to look forward to is listening to the game on the internet via tape delay at work and hoping I'm not too busy.

Sometimes Europe just aint what it's cracked up to be...
Old 04-07-2004, 01:02 PM   #67
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Man. Here it is. The first day of the playoffs. The day I would normally rush home to watch the CBC intro that would always have that one song (not the Hockey Night in Canada music, but a song, with words that would be shown as a montage of the play-off teams), I have no idea what the name of it was, but it was a classic in a cheesy 80's rock anthem sort of way. Then I would settle in for hours and hours of glorious hockey, hoping for as many overtimes as possible in any non-Red Wing game.

Now. All I have to look forward to is listening to the game on the internet via tape delay at work and hoping I'm not too busy.

Sometimes Europe just aint what it's cracked up to be...

Maybe if you stopped cheering for the Wings they would let you back into the country
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:05 PM   #68
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman
Maybe if you stopped cheering for the Wings they would let you back into the country

I am their most beloved son! I'm on a missionary. I'm a missionary. Spreading the Good Word. Preaching the teachings of Yzerman and Howe!
Old 04-07-2004, 01:06 PM   #69
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj
The rules:

First Round matchups:

Detriot vs Nashville
San Jose vs St. Louis
Vancouver vs Calgary
Colorado vs Dallas

Boston vs Montreal
Toronto vs Ottawa

Detroit in 5
St. Louis in 7
Calgary in 6
Colorado in 5
Tampa Bay in 7
Boston in 6
New Jersey in 6
Ottawa in 7
Old 04-07-2004, 01:22 PM   #70
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by primelord
I think it is because you secretly have blue blood pumping through those veins! You feel that strong call of good trying to draw ou away from the evil red meneace. I have faith you can till be saved HB.

Actually, I just want the Blues to advance to the second round and play the Wings. I so love those series. Good times... Good times...
Old 04-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #71
primelord
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Actually, I just want the Blues to advance to the second round and play the Wings. I so love those series. Good times... Good times...

That's funny. I have a different memory of those series.
primelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 02:07 PM   #72
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by klayman

LMAO

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:54 PM   #73
Hurst2112
College Starter

Well after 1 vodka/redbull and 1 goal...more of my hair is falling out.

The very early goal wasn't a real issue for me. The penalty shot was justified...good call.

My beef is that the wings are playing like they were in 99 and last year, real stupid. They are getting shots, yes; but the guys are making really stupid plays.

Hats off to Nashville for bringing it. This might be a better series than most have thought.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:45 PM   #74
Karim
College Starter

Does anyone know if CBC is going to carry any of the games in HD?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:37 PM   #75
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

maybe the best Bruin's performance you'll ever see. perfect game from them tonight.

and, oh my what a pretty goal by Robert Lang.

go Avs
Old 04-07-2004, 08:42 PM   #76
Hurst2112
College Starter

Great comeback by the Wings. I like how they showed the stat that Detroit was 5-15-5 when trailing in the 3rd. Right on.

Langs goal, and his assist opened my eyes up to how strong this player is.

Lagace stood up to the challenge. Talk about a situation to get you out of your game. Early goal, penalty shot, 8 million dollar goalie sitting on the bench ready to play, sluggish performance in front of your net by your team mates. He really bit the bullet and came through.

Part of me wanted to scream at his Belfour-like treks out of the goal. I haven't seen him come out that much in a long time. There were a couple of times where he could have gotten burnt real bad.

Again, great play by Nashville. I didn't realize how fast they were.

Rock the hell on!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:46 PM   #77
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

just saw Legace interviewed on ESPN News. He may be the most down to earth goaltender I have ever seen.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #78
Hurst2112
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
maybe the best Bruin's performance you'll ever see. perfect game from them tonight.

and, oh my what a pretty goal by Robert Lang.

go Avs

Raycroft looked really, really good from the highlights that I saw. Thorne and Clement made a reference to rookie of the year...I would not disagree.

Speaking of goalies (and avoiding any DOLAs) I certainly hope that we don't see a soap opera between Joseph and Lagace. If coming out strong in your first ever playoff start means anything, then there shouldn't be any question that Cujo will be a backup...no matter what. I don't want a Ranford/Snow situation for the Wings, even if they fall behind a game or 2.

Sorry, call it a thread jack infraction.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:39 PM   #79
klayman
College Benchwarmer

Cloutier has started his playoff meltdown early.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 11:42 PM   #80
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

As did Turco...although he did give up the second to a deflection. Alot will be made about the way the Stars "came back" in tonights game, but they had no heart in the 1st and were absolutely putrid. I'm tempted to revise my estimate from Avs in 5 to Avs in 4, but maybe Marty will steal a game. I'm not counting on it.

good news is that the Avs look like they canl be beaten by anyone in the second round.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:56 PM   #81
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
As did Turco...although he did give up the second to a deflection. Alot will be made about the way the Stars "came back" in tonights game, but they had no heart in the 1st and were absolutely putrid. I'm tempted to revise my estimate from Avs in 5 to Avs in 4, but maybe Marty will steal a game. I'm not counting on it.

good news is that the Avs look like they canl be beaten by anyone in the second round.

well, I'm not fooled by the Stars - the can't be THAT dreadful. Rob DiMaio was the best Dallas skater tonight, which is a scary thought.

it wasn't Turco's fault - he really played better than Abby, but the Stars D was terrible while the Avs D was pretty solid.

The Avs played as usual - get an early lead and then coast, which is why they ended up with so many ties in the regular season.
Old 04-08-2004, 12:30 AM   #82
bbor
Pro Starter

I heart play off hockey

Old 04-08-2004, 09:46 AM   #83
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, I managed to get into work today and listen to the tape delay. Gotta love Europeans and their respect for the holidays. It's two days before Easter Sunday and the place is virtually empty. We also have Monday off, so it's a good start to things.

Can't say the same about the Wings. Not a good start at all. 16 seconds in? Man, that was bad. The penalty shot nearly killed me. But, I have to give it to Legace, the kid really stood in there. Nashville was the better team in the first, had plenty of chances to put the Wings down 2-0, but Legace held his ground and made some great saves. The Wings finally started turning things around in the 2nd, but Vokoun was up to the task. He finally caved in the 3rd and the Wings pulled it out. The Wings got stronger as the game went on. I think they will be able to wear down Nashville. The Wings really can and do roll four consistently good lines at a team. Now with a defense that can actually hit some people and wear down forwards (see: Schneider, Hatcher, Fischer, Chelios (sorta)) this should become an even bigger advantage.

As for the rest of my picks, man was I off.... It's still early yet and there's a lot of hockey left to be played.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:11 AM   #84
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Pictures really are worth a thousand words...

Hang your heads, boys. That was pathetic.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:23 AM   #85
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Pictures really are worth a thousand words...

Hang your heads, boys. That was pathetic.

Or in this case seven!

Poor Stars. Don't worry, Sach. I think they will rally. This could be one of those, every team wins at home series. Given that Colorado has home ice advantage that doesn't sound too promising, but anything can happen in a Game 7!
Old 04-08-2004, 11:01 AM   #86
bbor
Pro Starter

Why was Steve Sullivan trying to dump and chase on a penalty shot?

Best game i watched last night was Calgary/Vancouver.....lot's of goals...wide open hockey.

Last edited by bbor : 04-08-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:03 AM   #87
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Why was Steve Sullivan trying to dump and chace on a penalty shot?

One too many years in Chicago?
Old 04-08-2004, 11:17 AM   #88
bbor
Pro Starter

I should prolly learn how to spell...i meant dump and chase.No wonder iam a hockey player/coach instead of a scholar

It was'nt mentioned here yet...but yesterday in Ottawa a sports radio DJ called Tie Domi a wife beater.It made a lot of news here and Domiis considering suing even though the DJ came back on air a publicly appologized.

I think Ottawa is taking this series a little too serious.

What happens to Martin if he fails to beat the Leafs again?He just signed a huge contract at the beggining of the season.This team is built to beat the Leafs...what happens if they don't?

I see the Sens winning this one in 6 if their keepers hold up.

Old 04-08-2004, 04:52 PM   #89
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One too many years in Chicago?

Oh yeah, well, um... you guys gave up a goal less than a minute into your game last night... I don't think I'm going to have a leg to stand on here...

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #90
Johnny93g
College Starter

GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO GO LEAFS GO
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 10:25 PM   #91
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g

Well....uhh...that did'nt help

Old 04-08-2004, 10:41 PM   #92
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Well....uhh...that did'nt help

Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #93
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g

I agree.

Leafs lost their cool and threw away a winnable game.

Old 04-09-2004, 12:43 AM   #94
Vince
Pro Starter

Man, good game from the Sharks...I wish I could have seen more of it, but in the OT that I did see, it looked like the Blues wanted it more. Nabokov made some amazing saves, and we managed to put one in...woo...1-0 Sharks
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:28 AM   #95
Hurst2112
College Starter

That was a good game (SJ-StL). I got to see most of it and turned it back on about 30 seconds before the game winner. I must say that the blues lost a step on defense on the scoring play.

Osgood looked pretty damn good. Tough goal to give up but I am sure he will bounce back.

As you can tell, the Sharks scare me a little so I am rootin' for the Blues.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:20 AM   #96
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I agree.

Leafs lost their cool and threw away a winnable game.

I thought I was going to find some whining from Leafs' fans here. Maybe it is just too early right now.

After McCabe slashed Hossa on his stick and broke it in half (resulting in a slashing minor, imagine that), Millen on CBC said that they should switch the sticks back to wood so they won't break on "little slashes" like that. In other words, he said it would be better to have wood sticks so that you could slash harder without them breaking away. I wonder if he was really thinking it through before he said it. It seems to be in the better interests of the players to have sticks that will break rather than transfer all of that energy into their hands/arms/legs.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 07:12 AM   #97
Karim
College Starter

Millen is an idiot.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:35 PM   #98
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

*breathe*

*breathe*

Wow. Fluke goal, but we'll take it. Red Wings have not dominated this series at all. Nashville has played well enough to win both of these games.
Old 04-10-2004, 04:38 PM   #99
Vince
Pro Starter

Sharks look pretty good...I wish that I could watch these games
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.
Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 04:51 PM   #100
kingfc22
Head Coach

SJ played a solid game today and STL never adjusted to the tight officiating. STL just looks slow to me too.