Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2003, 08:23 AM   #1
Easy Mac

Computer buying question/update

So i bought a computer i built online for $500 from cyberpower, but they told me the motherboard i ordered was out of stock. they gave me the option of waiting a month or paying for an upgrade to a different MB or cancelling. I cancelled, mainly b/c I need to get the computer before I leave the broadband of school, so I can download drivers and such.

So now I am doing a different computer from there, and actually getting some better parts, the MB is better, and I can get a better graphics card. A few questions though:

I have a slow computer currently, but with the new computer, I have a choice of a 133 ATA or 100 ATA hard drive. Will I notice a difference?

I ask because if I go for a 133, I have to get a g-force 4 MMX440 4x AGP card (based on monetary constraints). Which leads me to question 2: Is the g-force card mentioned better than the ATI 9000 64 mb ddr? The ATI is about $19 more.

Would I be better served to get the 40 gig ATA 100 HD and ATI 9000 card, or a 60 gig ATA 133 HD and the g-force card?

Or should I just say fuck it and get the ATA 100 HD, the g-force card, and instead get a clear sidepanel with neon light installed?

Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:13 AM   #2
Calis
College Starter

For God's sake, don't get the MX card. The Radeon will serve you better, and I think there'll be more of a difference than between the two hard drives.

That GF4 MX is basically a GF3, don't let the naming fool you, I'd personally never buy an MX. I'm actually not too certain about the 9000, but I think it's more along the lines of the upper tier ATI cards than the MX is to nVidia's. I've got a 9700 and wouldn't swap it out for anything.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:59 AM   #3
Samdari
Roster Filler

Frankly Mac, I cannot recommend either of those cards. I am a huge radeon fanboy, but the 9000 is considered their failure in the 9x00 line. It is really in the same category as the GF4 MX, as it did not outperform the previous generation of cards from the same company. ATI renamed their 8500 as the 9100 because it outperformed the 9000. I think for a $50 additional investment, you could gain quite a bit of performance.

If you are forced to choose between those two cards, the 9000 tests slightly better in most tests, but the difference is probably not particularly noticeable in standard use.