Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2003, 08:41 PM   #1
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Jacksonville a good city to live?

I have been offered a internship for a year in Jacksonville, Florida, and was wondering what your thoughs on living in a Jacksonville, Florida are?

Does it have a good entertainment and recreation? How big is it? Is it a nice city skyline, and nice city in general? How is dining? What is big down their? Does it have any good cancer or children's hospitals? What is the year round climate? Is it a good place to raise kids and settled down?

ANy other info would be nice.

SunDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:58 PM   #2
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

There are TWO major football teams there. Isn't that enough? What more "entertainment" do you need? I mean seriously.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:02 PM   #3
Craptacular
College Starter

Send MylesKnight a PM.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:07 PM   #4
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Dola -

The above post is meant to be satirical. The author has never been to Jacksonville, and is just expressing his worldview that football is all there is to life through irony and sarcasm.

It is not meant to infringe on anybody's beliefs that prissy restaurants that serve truffles are provide a valuable service to the community. Because, as we all know, all we need is a Mom and Pop stand that makes a mean Cheesesteak or bratwurst and we're all good.

Nor is the above post meant to disparage someone who thinks that "plays" or theater are an important contribution to a community. Even if the only plays that count are those called by football coaches. And a theater had best be a place where people sit and watch movies during the off-season.

And the above post certainly is not trying to imply that arts and crafts are not a vital lifeblood of the Jacksonville reagion. Despite the fact, that everybody here, knows that the only appropriate medium for creative expression is through creating innovative pass coverages and offensive plays.

So, take it with a grain of salt.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:46 PM   #5
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Ok, I'm lost. Lol.
Old 04-29-2003, 11:17 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

I was just there this weekend for a wedding. Conclusion: The beaches are nice, but it is fogeyland.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:28 PM   #7
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

what about a city like Memphis, TN?
Old 04-29-2003, 11:30 PM   #8
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hear Memphis is really nice. My friend's parents moved there and are really liking it.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:49 AM   #9
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, I've driven through there and once had to fly in to Jax on my way to visit the in-laws in Daytona (Couldn't get into Daytona or Orlando). I can't remember much about the airport. We ate at a Ruby Tuesday on our drive down from the airport, it wasn't too spectacular.

Has to be about one of the biggest cities by land area I've ever been near....the city line is like an hour from anything else. I've heard it described as more a region than a concentrated city.

Well, that's about all I know about Jacksonville I don't suppose it was much help
Old 04-30-2003, 08:57 AM   #10
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

It's the best coastal area to live in Florida, at least in terms of hurricane exposure. Because of the geography (it's on a curve), I don't think it's ever been hit directly by a hurricane.

My wife's parents will be moving there in a few months. Personally, I've never stayed there, just driven through or been to the airport.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:17 AM   #11
Bee
Pro Starter

Jacksonville is ok. It's a little bit of a "redneck" city, but if your other option is Memphis...
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:53 AM   #12
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
We ate at a Ruby Tuesday on our drive down from the airport, it wasn't too spectacular.

What is it with folks going to Florida and eating at national chains like Ruby and Red Lobster? In every single one of these restaraunts (and many more I suspect), the menu is perfectly identical with the same unimaginative food prepared the exact same way. In other words, there is no local or regional flavor and certainly does not use any local specialty foods or cuisine (how else can you have a Red Lobster in Colorado?).

Before I get yelled at for being a food snob, when I travel, I typically stick to places like Cracker Barrel, Denny's, Friendly's, etc. but knowing full well that I am eating corporate food designed on an assembly line, not having anything to do where I am at. It is my goal when I travel this year to Maryland/Virginia in June as well as to New England in the Fall is to only eat at specialty restaraunts and diners highlighting local or regional foods.

Sorry, just a reaction to the Ruby in Jacksonville comment.
Anrhydeddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:57 AM   #13
JeeberD
General Manager

Geez Anry, what are you trying to do, put me out of a job?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:03 AM   #14
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Jeeber, my wife and I watch too much Food Network. Just last night, we saw a specialty food shop/bakery in Beckett, Massachusetts that we really want to go to. It is these things that keep local and regional geography alive and makes travel interesting. But like I said, I still typically go to chains and can appreciate their expected good level of quality.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:03 AM   #15
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Anrhydeddu
What is it with folks going to Florida and eating at national chains like Ruby and Red Lobster? In every single one of these restaraunts (and many more I suspect), the menu is perfectly identical with the same unimaginative food prepared the exact same way. In other words, there is no local or regional flavor and certainly does not use any local specialty foods or cuisine (how else can you have a Red Lobster in Colorado?).

Before I get yelled at for being a food snob, when I travel, I typically stick to places like Cracker Barrel, Denny's, Friendly's, etc. but knowing full well that I am eating corporate food designed on an assembly line, not having anything to do where I am at. It is my goal when I travel this year to Maryland/Virginia in June as well as to New England in the Fall is to only eat at specialty restaraunts and diners highlighting local or regional foods.

Sorry, just a reaction to the Ruby in Jacksonville comment.

Sorry, I didn't put it in context. What happened that particular time was that we were flying from DC to Atlanta to Daytona, but the last leg of our journey was booked (flying standby, father-in-law a retired pilot). We had to fly into Jax, so before driving down to Daytona (ok, I guess they're technically in Port Orange now) we stopped for lunch, and south of the airport on 95 there wasn't a whole lot to choose from.

IN Daytona, we have eaten at a good number of local places. Unfortunately, I can't remember any of their names , besides the Italian Village - great Italian, even though it's in a strip mall. There was another good seafood place near A1A (edit: Sweetwater's I think) which had its own wine shop attached to it we went to last time...again, can't remember the name.

So no, we don't make a point of going to chain places when we're in FL. Ok, we went to Sonny's a couple of times, but we never get any barbeque here in MD.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 04-30-2003 at 10:19 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:05 AM   #16
cuervo72
Head Coach

Dola -

I've eaten at Ruby's up here too (and around Baltimore), and it's never spectacular. Cracker Barrel is much better
Old 04-30-2003, 10:08 AM   #17
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

cuervo, it's probably a good time to ask you. What places in the DC-Baltimore corridor would you recommend? We'll (my brother and I) also be traveling through the Eastern Shore and Annapolis but I already know about some of the local places there. It just seems in a more busy place like the corridor, the chains are usually the best bet unfortunately.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:16 AM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:
Jeeber, my wife and I watch too much Food Network. Just last night, we saw a specialty food shop/bakery in Beckett, Massachusetts that we really want to go to. It is these things that keep local and regional geography alive and makes travel interesting. But like I said, I still typically go to chains and can appreciate their expected good level of quality.

I know, I'm just teasing you a bit. Personally, I rarely go to chain restaurants (even though I work for one). I would rather go to a little hole in the wall than a Chili's or Applebee's. Heck, my girlfriend and my favorite restaurant is a tiny little Thai place that we've never seen have more than four tables filled at a time. Great food, really friendly service, and a nice, relaxed environment...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:17 AM   #19
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hmm....since having kids, we've mainly gone to chain restaurants. But....if you're in Baltimore itself, try some of the restaurants/pubs in Fells Point, if you like mussels I would recommend Bertha's. You can't go wrong in Little Italy either. Oh, and there's always Ruth's Chris Steak, if you have some cash to throw around.

If more towards DC, I would recommend the Melting Pot in Rockville (though they do have on in VA and another in Towson, but I like the Rockville location best). I guess it could be considered a chain, but it's still pretty unique. Lots of food, prepared fondue style - so you need a little bit of time, at least a couple of hours. A little pricier, but worth it I think.

If any more come to mind I'll let you know.

I unfortunately haven't eaten in DC very much, since moving to Frederick we tend to stay around here more.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:22 AM   #20
Bee
Pro Starter

If you need a decent place to eat near the beltway in Northern Virginia, I'd recommend the Sweetwater Tavern. Part of a local chain that has it's own microbrewery. Good beer, good food and solid service. Can be a little loud on the weekends, but usually not too bad.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:30 AM   #21
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks guys. I'm not sure yet where we will be staying in the area. We may actually be staying around Frederick since we'll be going to Gettysburg the next day and then to an Orioles game after that. The next day we'll be heading into DC so I guess somewhere central to all of that will be the most likely place to eat and sleep.

Sorry SunDancer for the threadjack.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:36 AM   #22
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

My brother-in-law lives in Jacksonville and it seems like a great place to live. It is a really nice area and there seems to be lots to do and keep your interest.

Memphis is a dump. I lived in Memphis for two years and I wouldn't move back there on a bet.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:36 AM   #23
henry296
College Starter

Anrhydeddu

I know you are coming to Baltimore for an Orioles game. Two very nice restaurants, entrees are at least $20 are Corks and Bicycle. They are both located in the Federal Hill neighborhood which is very close to Camden Yards. Also in Federal Hill is Mother's Federal Hill Grille. A nice overall money and is a major Raven's pregame location.

About 15 minutes from Downtown is a neighborhood called Canton. Canton is just past Fells Point. There you will find Nacho Mamas, a quaint Mexican restaurant which was profiled on the Food Network for its food and Elvis memorabilia.

The heart of the Inner Harbor is chain restaurants, but two nice local ones on the water are The Rusty Scupper and Victor's Cafe.

Todd
Old 04-30-2003, 10:37 AM   #24
Bee
Pro Starter

Well...if you're going to an O's game you'll definitely want to be drunk so I stand by my recommendation.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:38 AM   #25
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks guys. I'm not sure yet where we will be staying in the area. We may actually be staying around Frederick since we'll be going to Gettysburg the next day and then to an Orioles game after that. The next day we'll be heading into DC so I guess somewhere central to all of that will be the most likely place to eat and sleep.

Sorry SunDancer for the threadjack.

Gettysburg is where I put in my 8+ hours a day

There are a number of places to eat in downtown Frederick too, unfortunately I've only eaten at 2 or 3 of them.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:46 AM   #26
Anrhydeddu
Resident Curmudgeon

Thanks again. Henry, that is very helpful since after spending the day at Gettysburg, we'll be heading into Baltimore for dinner before going to the game. Normally we would eat at the stadium but I don't think this ballpark serves Rocky Mountain Oysters.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #27
cuervo72
Head Coach

Forgot about Rusty Scupper, and Nacho Mamas (was there once). I spent too much time further north on Charles St during my stay in Baltimore... Never been there, but I always heard Tio Pepe's had a good reputation.

The ESPN Zone isn't too far from the stadium, either, if you wanted to check that out.

At the stadium you could go for Boog's Barbeque
Old 04-30-2003, 12:55 PM   #28
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Jacksonville is in Florida.

I have nothing more to say than that.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:10 PM   #29
henry296
College Starter

Since I was part of the thread jack, I'll get this back on topic some.

It is actually further west than you might think so in the summer you can golf until about 9 PM. Also, they have done some nice things to their waterfront similar to Baltimore.

Todd
Old 04-30-2003, 05:17 PM   #30
Craptacular
College Starter

bump for MK
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 09:58 PM   #31
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

Thanks C-tac, good lookin' out my friend..

What's up with all the Jax Haters? SunDancer, the Jacksonville area has pretty much all of the normal amenities you'll find in major metropolitan areas but a lot of its own unique qualities as well.

I would say the Jacksonville area is divided up into 3 sections.. Those that live in the Southside of the city, those that live near Downtown and North or West of there, and those that live on the Oceanside of the Intercoastal Waterway (Me included)..

The thing about Jacksonville is there is no real one "Hot Spot" where the majority of the action is going on.. You've got your local neighborhood spots in the Southside of the City (Baymeadows Area (Where I Work), Deerwood Park Area, Avenues Mall Area, etc..) that are decent places to hang out and have a good time on occasion (especially for UCF Football & Hoops), Then there's the Downtown Area, which I'll admit is a bit disappointing except for when major activities/events are taking place (World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party aka UGA/UF Game, Gator Bowl, Tournament Players Championship).. Although give Downtown Jax credit, it is improving tremendously due to the Better Jacksonville Plan which is an enormous financial plan to improve the city in many different aspects.. Major $$$ involved.. And let me not forget the Beaches, which include Atlantic Beach, Neptune Beach and Jacksonville Beach, which all run along A1A right next to the ocean and are basically connected to one another, as there is no gap between cities, just signs letting you know you've entered a different one... As well as the place I call home, Ponte Vedra Beach, just south of those other Beaches on A1A. PVB doesn't have the Pier the other Beaches possess, or some of the outdoor activities and nightlife, but it is a very quiet (minus TPC time), beautiful, comfortable area to live at and spend time in..

Yes the Jacksonville Area does have its share of Snowbirds and there some parts of the Metro Area that I wouldn't necessarily choose to spend my time in but overall it is a great place to live.. I love it.. My only complaint is the 2 Hour Drive Orlando to see the Golden Knights on the Gridiron at the Florida Citrus Bowl or UCF Hoops at the Arena, but hey who's gonna fix that (if you know someone who can, let me know)..

Overall what you get with the Jax Area is a great, growing Metropolitan Area right next to the Atlantic Ocean with warm weather pretty much year-round, and not nearly the amount of tourists and vacationers as other Florida Cities to the south.. Who comes to Jacksonville or the Beaches for Vacation unless a major event in the city is involved or unless one has relatives or friends in the area? Not many.. Wonderful, isn't it.

Any more questions, let me know my friend..
Old 04-30-2003, 11:10 PM   #32
superbama
H.S. Freshman Team

Largest amount of strip malls(not clubs) per mile= Jacksonville
superbama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:58 AM   #33
SunDancer
College Benchwarmer

Now,
Today, I got "accepted" for my two other internships I was going for. Each is in Houston and Sydney, Australia. Any feedback on living in these cities (living is diff. then visiting). Thanks