Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2003, 01:10 PM   #1
Raven
College Prospect

OOTP league needs 2 owners.

The RWBL is an OOTP league currently in the 2007 season. We use real MLB players, and are a very active league.

We need two owners - one for Milwaukee and one for Arizona.

Check us out, and if you are interested, email me or Neuqua.

www.rwbl.ootp-leagues.com

Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:11 PM   #2
MylesKnight
College Benchwarmer

I'm assuming you need to own OOTP to be involved...
Old 04-29-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
Raven
College Prospect

yes. that's a necessity
Old 04-29-2003, 01:16 PM   #4
detroit_fan
H.S. Freshman Team

I have never done it before, but I now own OOTP 4 and 5. I you don't mind a rookie I would love to try.
Old 04-29-2003, 01:16 PM   #5
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

OOTP5, to be exact.

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:45 PM   #6
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

The Diamondbacks are an aging team with a good nucleus of stars (Eric Chavez, Ken Griffey, Kazuo Matsui). They have a strong fan base, but are in a tough division.

The Brewers are a mess, with few good players and plummetting fan support. They do have some nice prospects and a few solid major leaguers, though, so if you've ever wanted a challenging rebuilding process this would be a good one.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:58 PM   #7
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Personally, if I had to choose, I would pick the Brewers. The Brewers are at the bottom right now, but they have cash (previous owner never used his cash) and payroll room, and they do have some talent in the minors.

The DBacks, though, are on their way to a rebuilding job, IMO. And I don't know that it can be avoided at this point in time. So that makes me think the Brewers are actually closer to contention than the DBacks are.

Either way, the new owners will have their work cut out for them (which I think is more fun anyway).

Chief Rum

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:00 PM   #8
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
Personally, if I had to choose, I would pick the Brewers.
Yes, Chief, it would certainly be a rare opportunity for you to work with a last place team with no fans. Cough.

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 04-29-2003 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:06 PM   #9
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I use the Brewers in my solo league.... definitly tough.

Great looking league, wish I had the time.

Todd
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:12 PM   #10
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Yes, Chief, it would certainly be a rare opportunity for you to work with a last place team with no fans. Cough.

Shaddap!

So, Sean, how's that Fick garage sale coming along *cough* *cough*

Chief Rum

Old 04-29-2003, 02:15 PM   #11
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chief Rum
So, Sean, how's that Fick garage sale coming along *cough* *cough*
Not well... he seems to have lost some bat speed. Must be due to that big shiny ring all my players are wearing this year.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:22 PM   #12
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I may not have that, but at least I still have Mark Gouge. Remember him, offered in one of our deals? He bumped up in two talent categories, and is now one of the best prospects in baseball.

I'll get that ring sooner or later.

Chief Rum

Old 04-29-2003, 02:26 PM   #13
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Hey guys,

I sent a pm to Raven about the opening, but I will not be able to send an e-mail about it until about 6:30 et...If any of you in the league have a way of getting in touch with Neuqua or Raven, please tell him he has a PM
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:32 PM   #14
Raven
College Prospect

I received three PM's. I'll get in touch with you guys soon.
Old 04-29-2003, 10:35 PM   #15
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:

CR is managing the Ducks?

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:51 AM   #16
Kevin From Dell
n00b

this league is a sham. My friend Kyle started the league and you guys stole it away from him. Shame on you.

However, there is one redeeming factor remaining in the RWBL, and it is enough reason to go ahead and join up. That is the brilliant guy who runs the Expos franchise. He took that team in 2004 when it was in the worst possible state you could imagine. The 2004 Expos make the 2007 Brewers look like the 2004-2005 Cubs. That Expos owner is so great, that he has already got the team turned around and back on the right track, currently in 2nd place in the NL East, with the 2nd highest ranked farm system in the league.

Just to be in the same league as the guy that runs the Expos would make you a special person, much more special than you are now. Your life will never be the same.

oh yeah, and that other league that you guys stole from my friend Kyle...what was that...the JBL? Yeah, I follow that league as well, and I have to say that the owner of the Chiba Lotte Marines is one swell guy, and he must be really good at this OOTP game, because he has embarrassed such highly regarded players like Marmel, Schmidty, and Chief Rum with his astute knowledge and incredible skills.

Unfortunately, I can't join any leagues at this time, because the Atlanta Braves aren't available. Sorry.
Kevin From Dell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:40 AM   #17
Swaggs
Coordinator

I hate Chiba.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:42 AM   #18
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

I don't remember losing to Chiba Lotte, EVER.

2-0 Baby!

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 10:47 AM   #19
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin From Dell
However, there is one redeeming factor remaining in the RWBL, and it is enough reason to go ahead and join up. That is the brilliant guy who runs the Expos franchise.
It's true, you know. That guy has managed to turn the Expos into the second best franchise in the entire country.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:59 AM   #20
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

For some twisted reason, I'm curious and I figure this is as good a thread as any to ask the question -- Multi-leaguers, what would you cite as the major differences in playing ML vs solo?

Crap, I hate the way I worded that, lemme explain it a little better.
I know the pace of games is different, I know trading/building/etc is different because taking advantage of the AI is out of the question, I know the competition aspect is different, etc.

What I'm getting at I guess is what sort of learning curve is there for things like exporting/importing files and things like that which are unique to playing multi.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:01 AM   #21
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by JonInMiddleGA
For some twisted reason, I'm curious and I figure this is as good a thread as any to ask the question -- Multi-leaguers, what would you cite as the major differences in playing ML vs solo?

Crap, I hate the way I worded that, lemme explain it a little better.
I know the pace of games is different, I know trading/building/etc is different because taking advantage of the AI is out of the question, I know the competition aspect is different, etc.

What I'm getting at I guess is what sort of learning curve is there for things like exporting/importing files and things like that which are unique to playing multi.

Probably the interaction. Trades do not involve just clicking a button and seeing what the computer will take back. Trades can be built over time, see other people making moves, making moves yourself to block division rivals. Stealing division rival's 2B in free agency, things like that. It feels more "real" so to speak than just against a predictable computer.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:01 AM   #22
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Jon, even Fritz could figure it out. And Bucc for that matter. It is really simple.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 04-30-2003, 11:04 AM   #23
Schmidty
Coordinator

Andy wins one championship, and suddenly he thinks he's the shit.
Old 04-30-2003, 11:43 AM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
The technical stuff is easy - you download and unzip the league file and export your team changes using OOTP. Piece of cake. Maybe your league does live sims, so you show up in a chat room and watch the results unfold - easy enough.

The tough part is the amount of research you'll probably put into it. If you go into it with a competitive mindset, then you will feel compelled to not just familiarize yourself with the other teams, but also KNOW those teams - their rosters, lineups, rotations, weaknesses, depth, prospects, etc.. And your own team - know them like you know your family.

As you mentioned in your post, the trading AI is obviously different, but another consideration is drafting and free agency. The AI logic is usually pretty linear - but going against other human owners is completely different - so you really have to develop a strategy.

Anyway - multi-player has ruined me for single-player games. Once Solecismic or 400 comes out with multi-player pro football, my wife and children will probably have me replaced with a RealMan(tm)...

Last edited by Subby : 04-30-2003 at 11:44 AM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:49 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the answers, now I'd like to go one step further with the question -- After accounting for the talent acquistion differences between solo & multi, do you find that the on-field strategies that win solo are still effective for multi? Again, I think I've made the question clear as mud so ... do you find yourself trying to build the same type team (albeit through different methods) for multi that you would for solo?
Old 04-30-2003, 12:54 PM   #26
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'd like to see Andy or Neuqua win a title from the Royals. Anyone could do it with the talent they had
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 12:58 PM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks for the answers, now I'd like to go one step further with the question -- After accounting for the talent acquistion differences between solo & multi, do you find that the on-field strategies that win solo are still effective for multi? Again, I think I've made the question clear as mud so ... do you find yourself trying to build the same type team (albeit through different methods) for multi that you would for solo?
Yes and no. The usual tricks (focus on high OBP guys, scoop up undervalued A-range fielders, etc) still work. The problem is that everyone else is doing that too, so you don't get any advantage. You have to come up with your own little tricks if you want to get an edge, and even then it won't be a big one.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:01 PM   #28
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Yes and no. The usual tricks (focus on high OBP guys, scoop up undervalued A-range fielders, etc) still work. The problem is that everyone else is doing that too, so you don't get any advantage. You have to come up with your own little tricks if you want to get an edge, and even then it won't be a big one.

Feeding off of the weaker owners is my favorite strategy.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:05 PM   #29
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

How do you feed off of yourself Schmidty?

Old 04-30-2003, 01:09 PM   #30
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm flexible.
Old 04-30-2003, 01:45 PM   #31
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Baseball strategy is still the same I find from solo play to multiplayer. The biggest difference is in which players are available to fill that strategy.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 02:13 PM   #32
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Schmidty
Feeding off of the weaker owners is my favorite strategy.

That is because you are morally corupt, Schmidty.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote