Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-29-2003, 01:42 AM   #1
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Old Console Games that need to be remade

The Console Emulation thread reminded me of tons of old games
that would be cool to see being remade on a new console..

I know Ninja Gaiden is coming(a alltime fav)

Personally, i'd buy a gamecube tomorrow if they remade Super dodge ball Or River city Ransom for it

What do you all think should be remade?

Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:01 AM   #2
Airhog
Captain Obvious

hmm that is a really tough question. Super dodge ball kicked some serious ass, so did river city ransom. Too many games. can I just say nearly all of the ones nintendo made?

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!
Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:54 AM   #3
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Bump-n-Jump all the way.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:38 AM   #4
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Cyber Ball. I loved that one. Supe it up a bit, new robots, a career league, stats, draft... Wow.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:00 AM   #5
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Basewars! hehe
Old 04-29-2003, 08:42 AM   #6
DolphinFan1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Honolulu_Blue
Cyber Ball. I loved that one. Supe it up a bit, new robots, a career league, stats, draft... Wow.

Cyber Ball, great game. I still play it. I downloaded the emulator. But I like your idea.

I am on a quest to show that the Dolphins can win the Super Bowl. Or should I say Front Office Bowl, with FOF2K7.

The revival of an old favorite, FOFC Wrestling Dynasty
DolphinFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:49 AM   #7
KWhit
Coordinator

Mario Cart.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 09:25 AM   #8
Daimyo
College Starter

I'd like to see them redo Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3 (the latter two that weren't released in the US) with at least SNES graphics and release them as a package. I think they did it in Japan for PSX, but I haven't heard anything about a US release...
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:04 AM   #9
Katon
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally posted by Daimyo
I'd like to see them redo Final Fantasy 1, 2, 3 (the latter two that weren't released in the US) with at least SNES graphics and release them as a package. I think they did it in Japan for PSX, but I haven't heard anything about a US release...

Really? In the UK, at least, there's something called Final Fantasy Origins, which definitely contains 1 and might contain 2 and 3 as well. If it's out over here, I'd expect there to be a US version.
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:21 AM   #10
Craptacular
College Starter

I played Bump-n-Jump on my NES a couple of weeks ago.

I loved Final Fantasy and the Dragon Warrior series on NES. Of course, I must mention Tecmo (Super) Bowl.
Craptacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:09 AM   #11
BFleming
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Katon
Really? In the UK, at least, there's something called Final Fantasy Origins, which definitely contains 1 and might contain 2 and 3 as well. If it's out over here, I'd expect there to be a US version.

FF Origins came out in the states as well...It's just FF1 and FF2, some new cut scenes and they improved the music a bit...I think it sells for like $30...still no word on FF3 though...

And FWIW, someone asked about super dodge ball...they re-released it on the gameboy advance a year or two ago, but it didn't turn out all that great...a new and improved version would definitely work
BFleming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:10 AM   #12
mrskippy
Banned

Kid Icarus ... talked to Nintendo PR then the Cube was released and they apparently get lots of demand for that all the time. That was probably one of my favorites on the NES.
mrskippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:19 AM   #13
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Craptacular
I played Bump-n-Jump on my NES a couple of weeks ago.

I loved Final Fantasy and the Dragon Warrior series on NES. Of course, I must mention Tecmo (Super) Bowl.

I prefer Bump 'N' Jump for the intellivision.

cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:20 AM   #14
Swaggs
Coordinator

Baseball Stars would be pretty sweet.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:49 AM   #15
Franklinnoble
Banned

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out

Think of the possibilites... you could have a "prison mode" option, where basically you box your way out of being someone's bitch... a post-prison lunatic ear-biting mode (you have to earn three stars before you can press A-B-Start to gnaw on your opponent)... and, of course, the incoherent press conference mode, complete with random eruptions of violence.
Franklinnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:53 AM   #16
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
Basewars! hehe

Ditto! I loved that game back in the days! Would be thrilled to see a modern-day version with all the enhancements Honolulu_Blue talked about.

AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:21 PM   #17
Rich1033
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally posted by cuervo72
I prefer Bump 'N' Jump for the intellivision.

Thats what Im talkin about!

I still have my intellevision with about 50 games around somewhere. I really need to find it and figure out how to hook it back up.
Rich1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:23 PM   #18
JeeberD
General Manager

Baseball Stars, Bubble Bobble, Blaster Master...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 12:46 PM   #19
Craptacular
College Starter

Our Intellevision was stolen from our house while we were on vacation a long time ago. They took a camera, a few little things, a wheelbarrow, and the Intellivision. No TV, no cash, no jewelry. Of course, as a kid, I was most pissed about my Intellivision and the baseball game that was in it!!
Old 04-29-2003, 12:50 PM   #20
MikeVic
Head Coach

KWhit: Mario Kart is being re-made for the Cube... it'll probably be at E3 next month. Screenshots look awesome!

BFleming: FF3 was re-made on Wonderswan, a failed Bandai handheld console. There have been rumours of it being released on the Advance, as well as FF6...

I want them to remake NES Play Action Football...... That was a funny football game.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:15 PM   #21
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich1033
Thats what Im talkin about!

I still have my intellevision with about 50 games around somewhere. I really need to find it and figure out how to hook it back up.

I have mine too, and a couple of consoles, I think. Craptacular, you can find them on eBay if you want to get a new one

I'm not sure how the hookup would go these days with the rf adapter and everything. I guess there would be something at radio shack that you could get. If I ever get my basement finished, I think I'm going to dig out my intellevision and my NES.

The unfortunate thing about the Inty is that we lost all of the original boxes in a "flood". Ok, what happened is that my Dad installed a toilet in the basement of our house, and it didn't have something to prevent backflow. So when the sewer system got backed up on our street once, it all came up out of our basement toilet. 21 inches of raw sewage, and this was a pretty sizeable basement. We salvaged the games and most of the overlays, but it just wasn't the same afterwards.

I just saw on a site yesterday (I was searching for screen shots to use as my desktop wallpaper ) that Fathom was one of the rarer games, which is funny because we had it (probably still do, somewhere).
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:49 PM   #22
The Afoci
Pro Rookie

Contra, Spyhunter...so many
Old 04-29-2003, 01:55 PM   #23
JeeberD
General Manager

Isn't there a new Spyhunter for X-Box?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 01:56 PM   #24
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Pretty sure ps2 has a spy hunter..
Old 04-29-2003, 02:08 PM   #25
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

River City Ransom!

Bayou Billy as well, probably because I could never beat the damn thing...
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:36 PM   #26
rlfreeze
n00b

I personally would love to see them remake Commando and Excitbike. Loved those games when I first go my Nintendo.
rlfreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:39 PM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Tecmo Bowl, all the way.

Does anyone remember the "other" Tecmo games (hockey, basketball, I think there was a baseball too).
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 02:47 PM   #28
Franklinnoble
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
Tecmo Bowl, all the way.

Does anyone remember the "other" Tecmo games (hockey, basketball, I think there was a baseball too).

As much as I loved Tecmo Bowl, I don't see what a re-make could do for the genre that EA hasn't already done with Madden and NCAA football. I don't think the graphics capability of the PS2 would offer much to a side-scroller football game with four plays to choose from.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:50 PM   #29
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Elevator Action. Yeah....

Last edited by AnalBumCover : 04-29-2003 at 02:51 PM.
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:15 PM   #30
SackAttack
Head Coach

SpyHunter is on all three platforms. The Xbox and 'Cube versions include the original arcade SpyHunter, IIRC.

SpyHunter 2 is set for release this fall on all three consoles as well. Good times.

I'd *love* to see new games in the Mutant League series (yeah, practically the only EA games I'd actually buy the first day). I'd like to see a new Earthbound (Mother) game on the 'Cube as well. I know they're releasing one for the GBA, but that's not quite the same thing.

Road Rash Online...now that's what I'm talkin' about.

Josh
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:24 PM   #31
Craptacular
College Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by rlfreeze
I personally would love to see them remake Commando and Excitbike. Loved those games when I first go my Nintendo.

There is a wonderful N64 version of Excitebike. It was my favorite N64 game other than the Zeldas.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:33 PM   #32
Franklinnoble
Banned

Goldeneye was my favorite N64 game.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:58 PM   #33
Swaggs
Coordinator

Maybe some of the horrible older games need remade, like Deadly Towers.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:27 PM   #34
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
Goldeneye was my favorite N64 game.

I was partial to Perfect Dark. It was the perfect console FPS. Shame Rare's been snagged by Microsoft and it looks like they've twisted it into some hideous abomination.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 04:32 PM   #35
Senator
FOFC's Elected Representative

Track and Field
"i have seen chris simms play 4-5 times in the pros and he's very clearly got it. he won't make a pro bowl this year, but it'll come. if you don't like me saying that, so be it, but its true. we'll just have to wait until then" imettrentgreen

"looking at only ten games, and oddly using a median only, leaves me unmoved generally" - Quiksand
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 05:54 PM   #36
thesloppy
Pro Starter

What about ye olde Combat for the Atari 2600? There was plenty of hours of enjoyment built into that game.

bouncing bullets, flashing walls, invisible tanks was the only way to play.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 08:37 PM   #37
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I'd like to see remakes of:

Bump 'N Jump (echo previous sentiments)
Maze-A-Tron (one of the most complex Intellivision games ever)
Spy Hunter
Shark! Shark!
Sea Battle
Utopia (I like the competetive aspect)

Intellivision was so landmark! Did you know it was a 16-bit engine? The controller disk sensed 16 directions - more complex than most console systems for 15 years. Utopia was the first strategy sim game (although there was supposed a text based game from the 70s, so maybe it's just the first graphical strategy sim game). Treasure of Tarmin was the first first person game (also for Intellivision). Chess for Intellivision was the first cartridge for any console system that had the ability to store information (a fact that would lead to Nintendo begin a strong power later with saved games being an option).

Ah well, I digress.

I'd like to see them remake the Intellivision. With a more ergonomic controller.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 10:39 PM   #38
oykib
College Starter

Originally, it was a PC game. But I have to go with Prince of Persia.

1. Prince of Persia
2. Kid Icarus
3. Phantasy Star
4. English Version - Fire Emblem
5. English Version - Langrisser
6. English Version - Generation of Chaos
oykib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 05:34 AM   #39
Ragone
Pro Rookie

Phantasy Star 2...

Ooh.. and the power pad games... hehe long jump was always a fun one.. jump off the pad
Old 04-30-2003, 07:34 AM   #40
Richards
Mascot

Ice Hockey
Tecmo Baseball, with original players -- Arex, Fries, Kim, Kent, etc.
Double Dribble

ditto on Spy Hunter

gosh I could name a hundred
Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:24 AM   #41
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally posted by Franklinnoble
As much as I loved Tecmo Bowl, I don't see what a re-make could do for the genre that EA hasn't already done with Madden and NCAA football. I don't think the graphics capability of the PS2 would offer much to a side-scroller football game with four plays to choose from.
True, but I think there's something to be said about a football game that's easy to learn, relatively simple to play and still fun. Let's face it, if you haven't been playing Madden all your life you'd never be able to figure it out without practicing for a month.

Sports games now seem to have reached a point where they spend more time creating complex algorithms to make sure the late-afternoon sun causes the players to squint realistically. Which is great if you have every thing else perfected, but they don't.

(Although I acknowledge that football is probably the worst sport to use as an example, since I think Madden is light years ahead of, say, crap like the NHL series.)

By the way, does anyone remember the updated Playstation version of Tecmo football?
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:39 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragone
Phantasy Star 2...

Ooh.. and the power pad games... hehe long jump was always a fun one.. jump off the pad

I still have my power pad sitting around. Good ol' World Class Track Meet

Basically a direct port, Phantasy Star 2 was just released for the Game Boy Advance as part of the Phantasy Star Collection (with 1 and 3). So if you want to carry those around you can pick them up for $20 (instead of the usual $30 for GBA games).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 01:54 PM   #43
AgPete
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally posted by Maple Leafs
True, but I think there's something to be said about a football game that's easy to learn, relatively simple to play and still fun. Let's face it, if you haven't been playing Madden all your life you'd never be able to figure it out without practicing for a month.

A simple football game? That's why FOF is around.

Regarding Madden, actually, until last year, I hadn't played Madden since it was available on a Super Nintendo (that was my last console) so I was basically new to it again. Yes, it took a while to get used to the mechanics of the game but I am now a lifelong Madden devotee. As long as you're familiar with the game of football, the game comes with a handy training camp and two-minute drill practice rounds that let you get a feel for the mechanics and aspects that may be foreign to a new player. I realize that some people just don't like anything that feels "arcadish" but you'd be surprised how realistic the game is especially if you adjust your sliders. My suggestion is that in order to fully experience Madden, you need to play against other human opponents. Maybe someday in the future, but computers will never be as smart as human opponents and even some of the "cheese" tactics used by humans still make the game more enjoyable for me.
AgPete is offline   Reply With Quote