Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

NFL Week 10

Michael Kay just reported that Brady Quinn gets the start on Thursday night against Denver.

That tells me the Browns were planning this for at least a few weeks and have been prepping Quinn for it. Otherwise it's insane to have him make his first start in such a short week, even is it is against Denver.

Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
MikeVic
Head Coach

It's Cleveland. They probably didn't plan this.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
It's Cleveland. They probably didn't plan this.

True.

I guess the other angel you could take is they didn't want him to have to think about it and field questions about it for a full week.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Did they trade Derek Anderson?
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Man, week 9 hasn't even finished and there's a week 10 thread?!

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
stevew
Hall Of Famer

If Braylon makes a catch on a wide open 60+ yard pass attempt yesterday, we aren't having this conversation. Sure, Anderson is borderline awful from time to time. But he's been victimized by his receivers far too often this year.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Man, week 9 hasn't even finished and there's a week 10 thread?!

/tk

I came here to start this exact thread, fwiw.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #8
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

In related news...

It appears as if Dan Orlovsky sprained his thumb on Sunday. So, odds are, that the Lions' starting quarterback next week against Jacksonville will be...

Daunte Culpepper.

Wow.

Odds are he's going to be awful. That said, at least it makes things somewhat interesting. I'd much rather have the Lions suck and see if Culpepper can return to form or if Stanton can do anything than watch the Lions suck with Orlovsky at the helm. After 4 games I think we have a decent idea of what Orlovsky brings to the table.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Dola.

I guess it's time to cut Derek Anderson from my fantasy team.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #10
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
If Braylon makes a catch on a wide open 60+ yard pass attempt yesterday, we aren't having this conversation. Sure, Anderson is borderline awful from time to time. But he's been victimized by his receivers far too often this year.

He was victimized by both himself and his receivers against the Redskins.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #11
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Edwards has dropped way too many passes and the injuries to Stallworth and Joe Jurevicius has hurt Anderson, but he never impressed me enough last year to think that he was the QB everyone wanted him to be.

I just wish that Savage had traded him in the offseason. I'm not sure what they'll get for him this time around.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM   #12
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
In related news...

It appears as if Dan Orlovsky sprained his thumb on Sunday. So, odds are, that the Lions' starting quarterback next week against Jacksonville will be...

Daunte Culpepper.

Wow.

Odds are he's going to be awful. That said, at least it makes things somewhat interesting. I'd much rather have the Lions suck and see if Culpepper can return to form or if Stanton can do anything than watch the Lions suck with Orlovsky at the helm. After 4 games I think we have a decent idea of what Orlovsky brings to the table.

I sure hope this game sells out. I REALLY want to see this trainwreck.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #13
saldana
Pro Starter

what do you think the odds are that Bad Rex shows up against the titans defense?
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #14
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
what do you think the odds are that Bad Rex shows up against the titans defense?

I would say Dead Rex might make an apperance.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
In related news...

Daunte Culpepper.

Wow.

I would be very surprised if Culpepper gets the start. He's probably far from peak football shape to start and would have to learn enough of the Lions system in a week to be able to get out there. The Lions aren't going anywhere this season anyway, so why not put Stanton out there and see what he can do? He's in better shape than Culpepper no doubt and knows the system better.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #16
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully this thread will debut the firing of Bruce Arians as Steelers OC. I can't take it anymore.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:14 AM   #17
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh, and it looks like RAC got forced into this move. He came out and said Anderson was still the starter, but by the afternoon he was singing a different tune.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 AM   #18
stevew
Hall Of Famer

tri-dola

The Broncos placed 2 RB's on IR, leaving them with Selvin Young and Ryan Torrain healthy.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #19
DeToxRox
Head Coach

HALL OUT IN OAKLAND?
Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2008, 8:24 p.m.

Wow.

The DeAngelo Hall experiment in Oakland could be ending, as soon as Wednesday.

Wow.

Per Adam Schefter of NFL Network, the Raiders would make the move in order to avoid $16 million in injury-guaranteed bonuses.

Schefter reports that the move was going to be made on Tuesday, but that the team decided to wait a day.

If/when Hall is cut, he will have been paid $8 million for eight games, and the Raiders will have squandered a second-round pick.

On one hand, it’s another sign that the Raiders are horribly dysfunctional. On the other hand, at least the Raiders are willing to acknowledge their blunder and not compound it by paying him another $16 million.

Hall would go through waivers, but it’s highly unlikely that anyone would pick up his contract. If no one bites, he’d then become an unrestricted free agent.

As Schefter points out, the teams most interested in Hall when he was traded by the Falcons were the Giants, Redskins, and Cowboys.

Our guess is that the Cowboys will bring him in as an alternative to Mike “Tiptoe Matador” Jenkins.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:30 PM   #20
DeToxRox
Head Coach

HALL THE FIRST STEP OF A SILVER AND BLACK PURGE?
Posted by Mike Florio on November 4, 2008, 8:46 p.m.

In the wake of the news that the Raiders soon will release cornerback DeAngelo Hall, a league source tells us that as many as 15 other current members of the team could be gone before next year.

The source believes that the purge will include receiver Javon Walker and defensive tackle Tommy Kelly.

As to Hall, we’re told that the reasons given for the move include a desire to devote the money that Hall would receive over the next year ($16.5 million) to inking cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a long-term deal, and to sign other players.

Also, don’t be shocked if someone makes a waivers claim on Hall. We’re told that interested teams include the Patriots, Texans, Giants, Redskins, Rams, and Saints. Several teams have the money to pay Hall — and getting him for $16 million in guaranteed money could be regarded as a bargain.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 PM   #21
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Hall's mouth would fit the Cowboy's well. Good luck with that.
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #22
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The giants could use his talent but I don't want him anywhere near my team
Old 11-06-2008, 12:41 PM   #23
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Lions black out again. It's looking like the only remaining home game they'll sell out is Thanksgiving.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #24
jeheinz72
Pro Rookie

Kudos to the Raiders for trying to right an egregious mistake
jeheinz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Lions black out again. It's looking like the only remaining home game they'll sell out is Thanksgiving.

I guess we get to listen to the begining of The Daunte Culpepper Era.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #26
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Interesting article:

CHFF: Kurt Warner is the clear choice for 2008 NFL MVP - NFL - SI.com

Quote:
Consider Kurt Warner a born-again MVP candidate.

He burst onto the scene unexpectedly once before: the former supermarket stock boy turned into a Super Bowl champ in 1999, writing one of the most improbable football fairy tales ever told. He earned league MVP honors that year, and again in 2001.

He's unexpectedly putting up world-class numbers here in 2008, too, after wandering the desert of NFL sidelines for much of the past six seasons, often playing the veteran caretaker role for newbies like Eli Manning in New York and Matt Leinart in Arizona.

But if you're looking for a candidate poised to capture MVP honors here at the halfway pole of 2008, the laser-sharp, record-setting 37-year-old passer is the clear choice.
The individual performances

He's fresh off a classic Warner performance in Arizona's 34-13 win over St. Louis, a team that, in a tender bit of irony, probably prays for a QB of his caliber each Sunday. Warner completed 23 of 34 passes for 342 yards, two TDs, zero INTs and a 120.0 passer rating.

He's on pace to pass for 4,862 yards, and if he maintains that clip it would be second only to Dan Marino's 5,048-yard season in 1984. Interestingly, Warner currently holds the No. 2 spot, with his 4,830 yards in 2001. (We should note that Saints QB Drew Brees is on pace for 5,126 passing yards this year.)

Warner is also:

• Second in the NFL in TD passes (16)
• Second in passer rating (104.2)
• First in completion percentage (69.9), a mark that puts him in position to challenge the single-season record set by Ken Anderson in 1982 (70.6 percent).
A historic season for the Cardinals

More important than the individual numbers, though, is that Warner has achieved the near impossible: He's brought a touch of respectability to a Cardinals organization that's been the worst in North American sports by any objective measure.

How bad has it been for the Cardinals?

Consider this: the Cardinals are one of two teams that have been in the NFL since its inception in 1920 (the other is the Bears), and over the 88 seasons since then, the Cardinals have won just two playoff games.
That's not a misprint: Two playoff victories in 88 years of NFL football. They won the 1947 NFL championship game and added a wildcard win over the Cowboys in 1998. That's about one postseason victory nearly every half century. The Giants won four playoff games last year alone.

The organization has been a black hole for virtually everyone involved with it. Great coaches such as Joe Stydahar, Curly Lambeau, Don Coryell, Bud Wilkinson and Gene Stallings led the team at one point. All found great success elsewhere. All were failures with the Cardinals.

Yet today Arizona is 5-3, in clear control of the otherwise abysmal NFC West. If the playoffs started today, the Cardinals would host a wild-card game against Washington or Tampa.

That's no small feat for an organization that last hosted a playoff game when, as the Chicago Cardinals, they beat the Eagles in the 1947 title tilt.
The smartest decision of the year

Warner deserves a large part of the credit for Arizona's rare competitive season. So, too, does head coach Ken Whisenhunt. He made one of the smartest moves of the offseason when he rejected Leinart, the former No. 1 pick, in favor of the more seasoned Warner.

As the Cold, Hard Football Facts noted at the start of the season, Warner was the obvious choice. In fact, Warner vs. Leinart never should have been a debate. While Leinart has struggled in his brief career, Warner has been one of the most prolific players in the history of the game.

His career passer rating of 94.2 is second only to Steve Young's record 96.8. He surpassed the struggling Peyton Manning (94.1) at No. 2 on the all-time passer rating list last week.

Warner's career average of 8.12 yards per attempt is the NFL's best mark since Norm Van Brocklin retired in 1960 with an average of 8.16 yards per attempt.

His 342-yard game against St. Louis on Sunday also marks a place in history. It was his 45th 300-yard passing performance in just 101 career games. Nobody has cranked out 300 yards games at such a prolific clip. Marino holds the record, with 63 300-yard performances. But it took him 242 games to get there.

It all adds up to a very MVP-worthy season for Warner here in 2008. If he does win it, he'd join Brett Favre as the only players in league history to claim the title three times.

It sounds like Warner deserves more than just MVP honors. It sounds like he deserves a bronze bust in Canton, too.

ColdHardFootballFacts.com is dedicated to cutting-edge analysis and to the "gridiron lifestyle" of beer, food and football. Email comments to [email protected]
Old 11-06-2008, 02:12 PM   #27
Thomkal
Head Coach

Interesting article and more than just because I'm a Cards fan. I was not happy Leinart was benched in place of Warner this season, but I guess I have to say I was wrong. I really did not expect Warner to have a good season-he's getting up there in age and he's been inconsistent in his time in Arizona.

But he's only had one really bad game so far this season-but that was a horrendous one against the Jets. I expected more like that quite honestly, but kudos to him for proving me wrong. I do hope we get to see Leinart later in the season. The Cards, especially with a win against the Niners on Monday, have pretty well wrapped up the division. I really want to see if Leinart is the future for the Cards or not. But Warner certainly has to be considered for MVP at this point.

But they have some tough games left on the schedule, including back to back games against the Super Bowl teams from last season-thanks NFL scheduler for that!, so they may need every divisional win they can get.

Go Cards!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:14 PM   #28
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Denny green on NFL radio is amazing.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #29
Raiders Army
Coordinator

Freakin A. Picked up Torain and he's injured.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:57 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

He looked great. Freak knee injury. I will take 12 points but he looked like he was on the way to 20 plus
Old 11-06-2008, 09:12 PM   #31
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quinn has looked solid, I look forward to seeing how he will do against a better defence though.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #32
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Brandon McDonald is a fantasy ATM. Eddie Royal with a 15 point play.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:47 PM   #33
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They are the Browns
Old 11-06-2008, 09:58 PM   #34
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Cleveland showing some surprising heart
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 PM   #35
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

So, wonder what Marshall was going to do after that TD that Stokely had to stop him...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:22 PM   #36
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I may be a Dennis green mark, but the dude is a treasure as a color commentator.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:25 PM   #37
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
So, wonder what Marshall was going to do after that TD that Stokely had to stop him...

Thats what I'm trying to figure out, he definitely pulled something out of his crotch....watched it on dvr, looked like a glove?
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:37 PM   #38
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug5984 View Post
Thats what I'm trying to figure out, he definitely pulled something out of his crotch....watched it on dvr, looked like a glove?

Maybe a bag of popcorn for Joey Porter?
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:01 PM   #39
samifan24
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Marshall explained it on the NFL Network post game show.

Marshall said he painted a glove half white and half black to symbolize Obama's win and what Marshall thought was "progress in America." Marshall also said something about an old black power symbol he wanted to throw up, too. Marshall was going to do it but Stokley ran up to him and told Marshall not to do it because the game was close and Denver could not risk being penalized because of Marshall's "celebration."

(note- I put "progress in America" in quotes because that's what I believe Marshall said, not because I don't think Obama's win represents progress)

Last edited by samifan24 : 11-06-2008 at 11:02 PM. Reason: explanatory
samifan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #40
TroyF
Coordinator

Browns should have won the game. I'm stunned the Broncos defense held a team to 10 points in a half.

Words can't express how bad this defense has been this year. There are four teams who kind of match Denver's ineptitude at defense. Detroit, Kansas City, St. Louis, San Francisco. (Cleveland has been poor in yards, but has given up an average of 21 points a game, a full TD less than the Donkies D)

Cutler finally had a full compliment of WR and TE, so he stopped locking in on Brandon Marshall every play and the Broncos offense got going. (though the RB situation is a disaster, Shanahan said it doesn't look good for either Taurain or Young)

I can't fathom how this team makes the playoffs. I still think SD has to find away to put it together and finish these guys off.

Fantasy owners, get those Falcons next week. And for those of you with playoffs looming, remember, Denver plays Carolina and Buffalo in weeks 15 and 16. Trent Edwards may end up deciding fantasy football championships thanks to this defense. Yikes.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #41
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Words can't express how bad this defense has been this year. There are four teams who kind of match Denver's ineptitude at defense. Detroit, Kansas City, St. Louis, San Francisco.
Actually SF's defense has been solid. It's Houston, New Orleans and surprisingly, San Diego and Jacksonville that have been contenders for the bottom 5 defenses.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:04 PM   #42
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Our buddy Tim Benz of WXDX in Pittsburgh tells us that Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley has been fined $10,000 for one of the sacks he applied to Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell on Monday night at FedEx Field.

A player who saw the fine letter told Benz that the Woodley allegedly threw Campbell down “in an intimidating manner.”

I guess now you have to be all like......

''Excuse me....

''Excuse me, l was wondering....

''Mister Quarterback, l have a request.
Can I tackle you now?''
Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #43
Travis
Pro Rookie

God, it's like the sensitivity training episode of Terry Tate.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #44
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
I would be very surprised if Culpepper gets the start. He's probably far from peak football shape to start and would have to learn enough of the Lions system in a week to be able to get out there. The Lions aren't going anywhere this season anyway, so why not put Stanton out there and see what he can do? He's in better shape than Culpepper no doubt and knows the system better.

I would not be surprised if Culpepper starts. All of your points make perfect sense and are very logical. You have to remember, however, that it's the Detroit Lions we are talking about. Their logic does not resemble our Earth logic.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 PM   #45
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I guess now you have to be all like......

''Excuse me....

''Excuse me, l was wondering....

''Mister Quarterback, l have a request.
Can I tackle you now?''

I read that on PFT too. Enough with the fines!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #46
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
Edwards has dropped way too many passes and the injuries to Stallworth and Joe Jurevicius has hurt Anderson, but he never impressed me enough last year to think that he was the QB everyone wanted him to be.

I just wish that Savage had traded him in the offseason. I'm not sure what they'll get for him this time around.

The 49'ers will overpay for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:31 PM   #47
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I would not be surprised if Culpepper starts. All of your points make perfect sense and are very logical. You have to remember, however, that it's the Detroit Lions we are talking about. Their logic does not resemble our Earth logic.

True this is the Lions we are talking about. Go Culpepper!
Old 11-07-2008, 03:57 PM   #48
MikeVic
Head Coach

ProFootballTalk.com - HENDERSON GETS LUCKY

Nice. With the Harrison fine and this fine being the same, wtf.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 PM   #49
miami_fan
Coordinator

I asked the question in the thread last week and I will ask it again here since Justin Tuck was fined. What exactly was he supposed to do on his sack of Bollinger? It is getting to the point now that I wish they bring back the in the grasp rule. If you hold the QB for two count, it is a sack and the play is over.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 12:43 AM   #50
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I asked the question in the thread last week and I will ask it again here since Justin Tuck was fined. What exactly was he supposed to do on his sack of Bollinger? It is getting to the point now that I wish they bring back the in the grasp rule. If you hold the QB for two count, it is a sack and the play is over.

Actually, it wasn't asack. He hit the QB just as he threw the ball. It was by no means something that he should have received a fine for or even a penalty for that matter. This is pretty much the exact hit as what Trent Cole got called for a few weeks back.

What amazes me even more is when you see a clean hit get penalized and fined yet some of the obvious ones get nothing.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote