Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-06-2024, 01:42 PM   #1151
Swaggs
Coordinator

I think the Rock would be someone that might have enough appeal to draw some votes. He seems similar to Arnold when he rose up and maybe even a little more appealing.

It seems like Oprah used to have that much sway, but not sure I see anyone like that now. People don't like Bezos or Elon and I can't think of any huge multimedia stars nowadays that are not at least somewhat polarizing.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 02:44 PM   #1152
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Thought experiment: Is there someone that you can think of that could have the strength to pull off a third party or independent candidacy and win this Presidential election? If there has ever been a year that it could happen, it would be this one. I just have a hard time imagining who, and what their platform would be beyond "I am not them."

Really I think the thought experiments are:

1. If Trump loses, can you build a third party?
2. If Trump wins, who is groomed as the heir?

In the case of 1, I don't think he goes away. Is there any appetite to try to push him out? Is starting over easier than waging that battle?

In the case of 2, I don't think he goes away until he is dead. I assume he attempts to keep it in the family NK Style, but who knows.
Old 03-06-2024, 02:50 PM   #1153
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I think the Rock would be someone that might have enough appeal to draw some votes. He seems similar to Arnold when he rose up and maybe even a little more appealing.

It seems like Oprah used to have that much sway, but not sure I see anyone like that now. People don't like Bezos or Elon and I can't think of any huge multimedia stars nowadays that are not at least somewhat polarizing.

Tom Hanks?
Old 03-06-2024, 03:06 PM   #1154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Tom Hanks?

Tom Hanks, wildly viewed as a Pedo by the alt right? That Tom hanks?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 03:11 PM   #1155
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

If we had a national popular vote I think there's a possibility for a third party, but not with the electoral college. I can't come up with any scenario where a candidate wins enough states. As soon as you start flipping states to a third party you can see how it closes off enough others to make it impossible.
Old 03-06-2024, 03:50 PM   #1156
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Tom Hanks?

I'd only vote for Otm Shank.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:17 PM   #1157
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

The Rock was one I thought of. Taylor Swift as well, but she is probably too far Left. The Rock could sell as moderate, though I still don't know what a winning sales pitch is. Mark Cuban is another, but I don't think he has the level of charisma needed.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 04:23 PM   #1158
GrantDawg

"If we had a national popular vote I think there's a possibility for a third party, but not with the electoral college. I can't come up with any scenario where a candidate wins enough states. As soon as you start flipping states to a third party you can see how it closes off enough others to make it impossible."
Maybe. What would be more likely with a strong third-party candidate is they would win enough States that no one wins enough electoral votes and then we have a real mess. Then again, if someone could get on every state ballots and let's say Biden has a stroke. A strong candidate could pull all the blue states and maybe the purple as well.

Old 03-06-2024, 05:05 PM   #1159
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Taylor Swift

You're about a month too late - she's hated by the right wing now.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:07 PM   #1160
RainMaker
General Manager

Mark Cuban is someone who I think could draw 10% in an election this weak. Would probably run as a moderate populist.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:11 PM   #1161
Ksyrup

Charles Barkley! All of those Trumpers who love people who just say it like it is... let's put them to the test, lol.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-06-2024, 05:11 PM   #1162
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cuban was ho I thought of fist followed by The Rock
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:23 PM   #1163
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Popular non-politicians are popular because they are non-politicians.

As soon as they put a D or an R next to their name, they lose that appeal.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 05:30 PM   #1164
GrantDawg

"Popular non-politicians are popular because they are non-politicians.

As soon as they put a D or an R next to their name, they lose that appeal."

Right, which is why we are talking about someone not putting the R or D beside their name.

Old 03-06-2024, 05:45 PM   #1165
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

To the surprise of no one, the Old-Ass Mutant Dementia Turtle is endorsing Trump.

Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:04 PM   #1166
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I think it's the right election but the wrong electorate, and that electorate is why we have these nominees in the first place. Basically the same malfunctions that have us picking poor candidates are the ones that would keep us from latching on to any third-party potential.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 06:32 PM   #1167
GrantDawg

"I think it's the right election but the wrong electorate, and that electorate is why we have these nominees in the first place. Basically the same malfunctions that have us picking poor candidates are the ones that would keep us from latching on to any third-party potential."

You are probably not wrong. That is why I was wondering even more about the platform a third-party or independent candidate could even have to have any real success. I think "I'm not them" can only go so far. A moderate stance could probably pull some Dems and the anti-Trump Republicans, but that wouldn't be near enough. I just can't think of what it would take to chip away from Trump's baked in 35-40% that wouldn't knock out more voters from the moderates than it would gain.

Old 03-06-2024, 06:49 PM   #1168
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Y I just can't think of what it would take to chip away from Trump's baked in 35-40% that wouldn't knock out more voters from the moderates than it would gain.

I did a little mental math, what I was working out led to an interesting question that I'll pose to you (yes I'm targeting you because of geography since I'm exponentially more familiar with that 35-40 percent in Georgia than I am in other states)

Here's my question for ya: let's stipulate that 35-40 percent. I wonder how many of those have been consistent (R) voters prior to 2002 (the gubernatorial flip that signalled two decades of strong (R) electoral performances)? My hunch is that it's a fairly low number.

Here's why that question matters, where my thinking kinda went.

The most successful option for a 3rd party right now?
Might be Trump sans the (R)
Old 03-06-2024, 06:50 PM   #1169
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Popular non-politicians are popular because they are non-politicians.

As soon as they put a D or an R next to their name, they lose that appeal.

Backup QB syndrome?
Old 03-06-2024, 07:00 PM   #1170
GrantDawg

Jon, just based on what I have observed, I don't feel like many of his most die-hard supporters were even politically active until 2016. I doubt many would have even considered themselves Republican before Trump. Trump gained the Republican party members while losing the party members as well. You are not wrong he would probably be the highest vote-getter of any independent if he had left the party after 2020.

Old 03-06-2024, 07:31 PM   #1171
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
apparently the North Carolina GOP is about to nominate a guy for governor who called the holocaust hogwash. Unreal.

Yeah this guy is a disaster-a host interviewed him for her radio show, and he was shockingly bad with his answers for someone who already held a high position in North Carolina.

https://twitter.com/TaraServatius/st...06184717447351

Last edited by Thomkal : 03-06-2024 at 07:32 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:08 PM   #1172
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Thought experiment: Is there someone that you can think of that could have the strength to pull off a third party or independent candidacy and win this Presidential election? If there has ever been a year that it could happen, it would be this one. I just have a hard time imagining who, and what their platform would be beyond "I am not them."

From the point of logistics, that someone would have to be well underway with the work to get their name on state ballots for November, due to the different rules for independent candidates to get on those ballots: Filing deadlines for independent presidential candidates, 2024 - Ballotpedia
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:26 PM   #1173
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

It’ll need to be someone independently wealthy (e.g. Ross Perot like), is willing to spend his own money (what’s $5B anyway), is not beholden to Dems or Reps.

Closest I can think of is Bloomberg. He’s swapped parties before. Anti-Trump but calmed down his rhetoric when faced with the possibility of Trump winning.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2024, 08:58 PM   #1174
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I did a little mental math, what I was working out led to an interesting question that I'll pose to you (yes I'm targeting you because of geography since I'm exponentially more familiar with that 35-40 percent in Georgia than I am in other states)

Here's my question for ya: let's stipulate that 35-40 percent. I wonder how many of those have been consistent (R) voters prior to 2002 (the gubernatorial flip that signalled two decades of strong (R) electoral performances)? My hunch is that it's a fairly low number.

Here's why that question matters, where my thinking kinda went.

The most successful option for a 3rd party right now?
Might be Trump sans the (R)

Trump probably wins the most states, but he can't get to a majority of electoral votes IMO. I think he could carry a lot of low population states, but the split in GOP/Trump votes is going to give Dems the midwest, AZ, maybe GA and NV. Trump vs. GOPer vs. Biden would get Trump a lot of votes, but not close to enough electors.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:51 PM   #1175
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Trump probably wins the most states, but he can't get to a majority of electoral votes IMO. I think he could carry a lot of low population states, but the split in GOP/Trump votes is going to give Dems the midwest, AZ, maybe GA and NV. Trump vs. GOPer vs. Biden would get Trump a lot of votes, but not close to enough electors.

I didn't call a win, I just said "most successful 3rd party option atm"

I don't believe he's gonna win with the (R) this time, so I sure as hell ain't going out on any limb with him as an (I)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-06-2024 at 09:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:28 AM   #1176
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I do think that Trump would be the most successful independent candidate if he ran that way.

In a Trump (I), Biden (D), Haley (R) race, Haley gets the least votes, right?
Old 03-07-2024, 07:47 AM   #1177
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That would be my prediction. With the big exception that Trump is super lazy and may not actually be on many state ballots.
Old 03-07-2024, 07:53 AM   #1178
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Yeah this guy is a disaster-a host interviewed him for her radio show, and he was shockingly bad with his answers for someone who already held a high position in North Carolina.

https://twitter.com/TaraServatius/st...06184717447351

But this is the new playbook for the party, right? Folks like Boebert, MTG, etc, who get fame by yelling loudly, and then try and jump on that fame for a buck at the expense of governing. He was a nobody, made a big speech about gun rights or something, and then everyone swarmed him to run for under-the-radar positions. I'm surprised that couple that pulled a gun on people walking by their house in St. Louis aren't in the governor's mansion yet.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:03 AM   #1179
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
But this is the new playbook for the party, right? Folks like Boebert, MTG, etc, who get fame by yelling loudly, and then try and jump on that fame for a buck at the expense of governing. He was a nobody, made a big speech about gun rights or something, and then everyone swarmed him to run for under-the-radar positions. I'm surprised that couple that pulled a gun on people walking by their house in St. Louis aren't in the governor's mansion yet.

Um, who the fuck is Boebert? Is that the little b that was drinking and smoking in a common area with other people watching a show.

You are completely jacked if your world view is that the average, or below average Republican voter is like that. And I see, and have seen, the average Republican voter on a daily basis. For many years.

Last edited by Schmidty : 03-07-2024 at 09:01 AM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:12 AM   #1180
cuervo72
Head Coach

She may not be the average Republican voter (though I'd say there are probably a lot of vocal voters in her mold), but I don't know that she's far from the typical Republican congressperson.

(edit: Boebert just got a nice puff piece about her in the NYT, too)

Last edited by cuervo72 : 03-07-2024 at 08:33 AM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:15 AM   #1181
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That would be my prediction. With the big exception that Trump is super lazy and may not actually be on many state ballots.

That's what his supporters are for in-between their court dates.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:59 AM   #1182
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I think it's the right election but the wrong electorate, and that electorate is why we have these nominees in the first place. Basically the same malfunctions that have us picking poor candidates are the ones that would keep us from latching on to any third-party potential.

This sums it up nicely.

Old 03-07-2024, 09:26 AM   #1183
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I've seen both MAGA folks and Dem folks sharing this on facebook.

Everyone thinks that the other side is the evil empire.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:54 AM   #1184
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I spent an hour yesterday playing "Tie Fighter" destroying rebel scum.

Just sayin.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:24 AM   #1185
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post

You are completely jacked if your world view is that the average, or below average Republican voter is like that. And I see, and have seen, the average Republican voter on a daily basis. For many years.

Who they are electing as their leaders would indicate otherwise.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:28 AM   #1186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Oh yeah, certainly.

Or at least I sure as fuck would hope so.
Old 03-07-2024, 11:53 AM   #1187
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I spent an hour yesterday playing "Tie Fighter" destroying rebel scum.

Just sayin.

Dark Forces Remaster up next?
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:14 PM   #1188
GrantDawg

Quote:

Yup. Whatever side you are on, the other side is oppressive evil that needs to be stopped.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:17 PM   #1189
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup
This sums it up nicely.

Nah. There's a lot more blame to go around than that. This forum has provided ample evidence.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:25 PM   #1190
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

When you had to wear a mask at Subway 3 years ago.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:27 PM   #1191
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I do think that Trump would be the most successful independent candidate if he ran that way.

Assuming Trump is on all the ballots, I'd say yes. I think she'd sit somewhere around 15% at best.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:43 PM   #1192
Schmidty
Coordinator

I was responding to someone answering eating Broccoli soup. Can’t find the thread. The soup is a bit cold and I can’t find the response; however,this is my response:

“I think she'd sit somewhere around 15% at best.[/quote]
This kind of nonsense makes me want to vote Trump. Most likely won’t vote as it would be disingenuous.

You seem like you may want Numbers, not actual Huamns perhaps.”

That is all.

Last edited by Schmidty : 03-07-2024 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Yeah. Deleted. Can’t find the source.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 01:53 PM   #1193
Schmidty
Coordinator

Well, now I can’t remember how to delete. Dang it.
Old 03-07-2024, 08:31 PM   #1194
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Joe sounding pretty damn solid so far
Old 03-07-2024, 08:36 PM   #1195
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

dola- even Mike Johnson looks impressed
Old 03-07-2024, 08:40 PM   #1196
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

line of the night is going to be to the justices "you're about to realize how much electoral and political power women have"
Old 03-07-2024, 08:47 PM   #1197
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol. Biden calling out the republicans who tout the infrastructure money that they voted against.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:13 PM   #1198
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

MTG using the UGA student as a political pawn is beyond gross.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:19 PM   #1199
Ksyrup

Sounds familiar.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:23 PM   #1200
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

some dude was just screaming and looked like he was removed. Anyone know what that was about?