Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #1
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Strange networking issue

Ok, I'm scratching my head over this one. I'm trying to see if I have a bad NIC or not.

I have a box with Ubuntu 8.04. It had an on-board 100MB NIC, and I upgraded to a Linksys EG1032 Gigabit card. It is connected to a D-Link Gigabit desktop switch.

Strange thing is, I'm getting about half the speed out of the gigabit NIC as I was out of the 100MB onboard NIC. Copying files to and from the server at work was going about 750k down and 220k up with the 100MB NIC, but the gigabit card is lucky to hit 200k down and 100k up with the same file.

I ran ethtool, and it says the NIC is 1000MB full duplex, and I've tried various MTU settings to see if maybe jumbo frames were messing things up. Anyone have other tips on settings to check?
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

What type of switch/hub/whatever are you connecting to? What does it see the card coming up as? Does it come up on that side as 1000MB/full duplex? Are you seeing errors of any kind or drops on the interface there?

Are you sure that your cable that you are using is rated for gigabit communication and not poorer quality (only capable of 100Mbps)?

I just re-read and see you said a D-Link gigabit desktop switch. I actually have had issues with the Linksys Gig cards connecting to the low end D-Link dumb-switches and had to go to a higher end switch for some of them to connect right. Had a few issues with netgear dumb-switches too.

My advice would be to start by seeing what the D-link switch is seeing, does it see the card come up as Gig or 100Mb?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
The D-Link is lighting up as gigabit. ifconfig on the linux box isn't reporting any errors, which is what I first thought might be happening. I can see it operating the same speed as 100MB, but not slower. That's why I next thought about jumbo frames, but that wasn't it either.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
The D-Link is lighting up as gigabit. ifconfig on the linux box isn't reporting any errors, which is what I first thought might be happening. I can see it operating the same speed as 100MB, but not slower. That's why I next thought about jumbo frames, but that wasn't it either.

Yeah, your issue does not sound like a jumbo frames issue to me. It sounds more like a duplex issue which shouldn't happen when both sides come up as Gig though.

Are you sure that you are using Cat5e rated cable or higher? I wouldn't think it would sync at Gigabit if you were only using Cat5 though.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

After that, off the top of my head without a sniffer to see what is actually occuring there, I would question to make sure there is no driver issue with the card in linux. If you have another windows system you could put the same card/cable into to see if the problem is with the hardware or linux side.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #6
cartman
Death Herald

I've got Wireshark running right now to see if there is something strange in the packets.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
SteveMax58
College Starter

Were you using the D-Link Desktop switch before as well? If not...what were you using before?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Yep, same switch. Only new component is the gigabit NIC.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM   #9
cartman
Death Herald

ugh, must be sunspots. I move the card to the other PCI slot to eliminate that, and now the UUID of the drive changed and it won't boot up.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
cartman
Death Herald

Finally got it figured out. Had to update the MAC address table on the firewall. Once I did that, it started working as expected.
Old 08-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
SteveMax58
College Starter

Ah...makes perfect sense now.

Wish I thought of that the other night.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #12
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Finally got it figured out. Had to update the MAC address table on the firewall. Once I did that, it started working as expected.

Are you doing some kind of QoS on your firewall based on mac address or something? I would think not having the proper entry there would have been the difference between it not working at all, not having issues with it just working slower.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Are you doing some kind of QoS on your firewall based on mac address or something? I would think not having the proper entry there would have been the difference between it not working at all, not having issues with it just working slower.

Yeah, I do traffic shaping to make sure that particular box gets priority, since it is the server that gets the bulk of the traffic to/from our clients.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, I do traffic shaping to make sure that particular box gets priority, since it is the server that gets the bulk of the traffic to/from our clients.

Ahh, ok. I guess when you said you were copying files to and from a system at work, I was assuming that both systems were on the same layer 2 network. I guess that is what I get for assuming!