Galaxy
Coordinator

Best Buy screws-up; Some people want to call their lawyer

Smart Spending Blog - MSN Money

Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:45 PM   #2
stevew
Hall Of Famer

anyone who seriously thought they'd get the TV for 10 bucks needs a reality check. Cost on that is around 1200.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #3
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Might just be my cynical side but a few stores in the UK have made such 'mistakes' and coughed up as a cheap form of advertising to drive people to look at the sites (would expect it works fairly well).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
TroyF
Coordinator

I hate people sometimes. I really do.

You think because of some glitch you are going to get a 1700 dollar TV for 10 bucks? You really think this order wasn't going to get canceled? Then you have the nerve to compare a Walgreens price tag to said tv? Look, if Walgreens carried something for $1700 and accidently put a sticker price on it of $10, you can bet your ass they wouldn't fess up and give the thing to you for $10.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the customer does call his lawyer. "let me get this straight, you found a a $1700 TV for $10 and they corrected the error so you actually had to pay what it was worth? What planet do you think I can win this case on exactly?"
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Might just be my cynical side but a few stores in the UK have made such 'mistakes' and coughed up as a cheap form of advertising to drive people to look at the sites (would expect it works fairly well).

If Best Buy was trying to do that, shame on them. Shame also goes to the idiots who thought they were getting a 52" tv for ten bucks.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
Swaggs
Coordinator

Looks like this was on their website:

Quote:
Prices and availability of products and services are subject to change without notice. Errors will be corrected where discovered, and Best Buy reserves the right to revoke any stated offer and to correct any errors, inaccuracies or omissions including after an order has been submitted and whether or not the order has been confirmed and your credit card charged.

So, I don't see where anyone could get with a lawsuit, whatsoever.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #7
DanGarion
Coordinator

People whine because they try to call "bait and switch" on the company doing the selling. But most times it's just an honest stupid mistake.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
People whine because they try to call "bait and switch" on the company doing the selling. But most times it's just an honest stupid mistake.

To be fair, I know these are stupid people who don't deserve an $1800 tv for $10. I get that. But Best Buy has been known for a lot of shady practices and bait and switches so what Marc Vaughan says has some credence.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

You think because of some glitch you are going to get a 1700 dollar TV for 10 bucks? You really think this order wasn't going to get canceled? Then you have the nerve to compare a Walgreens price tag to said tv?
One of the top five moments in my life was in my retail days when I was working at a furniture store and this guy brought up a piece priced $99. I gave him the total and he insisted it was marked $5. Indeed, there were two price tags -- one on the bottom where the price normally is and one that went with an item that had been merchandised for display inside the bowl. I apologized for the confusion and showed him the correct price. This was during the holidays and we had a big crowd. He went off. Asked to see my manager (which was me), wanted my boss' number so he could complain, told me he was going to the county DA, blah blah blah. He refused to leave.

So in the front of the entire crowd I made this speech: "Tell you what, I'll sell you this item for $5. But for you to get that price you're going to have to stand here in front of all these people and have them know that you are stealing and that you're a thief. When you get home and tell your wife and friends about the price you got on this, you'll have to tell them about how you stole it. I want you to know that everyone has to pay higher prices because of people like you who think it is OK to steal. If you're willing to stand here and acknowledge in front of all these people that you're stealing from this store, I'll sell it to you for $5. Will you admit that?" He said yes.

People in line started heckling the guy. It was great. After he left, everyone in line told me how awesome I was and about how they wanted to tell somebody off like that.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:43 PM   #10
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Seriously, by math you could buy 1000 of these sets for 10000(free shipping, right?).

Then sell them all for 1200 a piece, and live basically a comfortable life with a million dollar cushion.

lol
Old 08-13-2009, 11:47 PM   #11
Swaggs
Coordinator

I liked the comment from the guy who thought it wasn't worth it to alienate the customers who bought them. I have no idea how much Best Buy has in a $1700 TV, but I'm guessing very few customers will ever spend enough to make up for the loss they would be eating on a deal like that.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #12
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

People are just stupid.

I remember when I was younger I worked at B. Dalton Books.

We had some frequent buyer program where you paid $25 for a membership. On your first purchase you got 25% off. So if you were buying $100 worth of books you could basicaly get the membership for free.

I explained it to some guy buying around $200 worth of books, he gets his receipt and sees a $25 charge. I explain to him again ( I had explained the program the first time) that it was in essence, free, becaue of the amount of his purchase. He freaked out, yelled, said I was scamming him, wanted to return everything, was gonna sue, etc....

people are just plain dumb.

Last edited by Lathum : 08-14-2009 at 12:01 AM.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:17 AM   #13
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post

You think because of some glitch you are going to get a 1700 dollar TV for 10 bucks? You really think this order wasn't going to get canceled? Then you have the nerve to compare a Walgreens price tag to said tv? Look, if Walgreens carried something for $1700 and accidently put a sticker price on it of $10, you can bet your ass they wouldn't fess up and give the thing to you for $10.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the customer does call his lawyer. "let me get this straight, you found a a $1700 TV for $10 and they corrected the error so you actually had to pay what it was worth? What planet do you think I can win this case on exactly?"

The funny part is it would be cheaper to buy the TV at the real price than it would for the cost to get a lawyer.

People who use the threat or suing wouldn't know where to find a lawyer.

Last edited by Galaxy : 08-14-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:24 AM   #14
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's actually a 2008 model tv anyways, probably a very ymmv situation if you'd actually find it somewhere for $999.99(the intended price)
Old 08-14-2009, 01:45 AM   #15
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Just to throw this out there....

A few weeks back Best Buy ran an add selling the Palm Pre for $99 after rebates (when it should have been $199 like it is everywhere else). Best Buy went ahead and owned up to their mistake and sold the Pre for $99 to people. On Monday they corrected their mistake and went back to $199. Many people got the Pre at $99 that weekend.