Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

Letterman Beating Tonight Show for First Time Since '98

Per Deadline Hollywood Daily

Dave Tops 'Tonight Show' for 2 Straight Weeks (First Time Since 1998); Demo Gap With Conan Shrinking

I'm digesting all the info, but here are the late night viewer totals for the week of 7/13-7/17:

Nightline: 3.743 million
Late Show: 3.454 million
The Tonight Show: 2.713 million
---
Late Late Show: 1.478 million
Jimmy Fallon: 1.269 million
---
First time Late Show has topped Tonight Show in consecutive weeks since Feburary 1998 (when CBS had Nagano Olympics).

Demo gap continues to shrink between Late Show and Tonight Show.. Now only .2 in 18-49. Down to .5 in 18-34.

Late Show up vs same week last year. +17% in viewers. +10% in 25-54. +14% in 18-49. Even in 18-34.
---
CBS' late night momentum extending to 12:30 AM. Ferguson tops Fallon in viewers by largest margin since Fallon's March premiere. The shows tied in 25-54.

Ferguson up vs same week last year. +8% in viewers. +20% in 25-54. Even in 18-49 and 18-34.

By Nikki Finke on Thu, Jul 23rd, 2009 at 09:20AM
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
Schmidty
Coordinator

I still haven't watched the new Tonight Show. I keep forgetting to, and when I do remember, I just assume it'll be more tame and less funny than Conan used to be.

I'll have to Tivo it tonight or something.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Really don't think Conan's show has changed at all since the move.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #4
King of New York
High School Varsity

The really shocking news is: Jimmy Fallon: 1.269 million.

I assume that nearly every one of those poor b*stards was tied to a chair and forced to watch. Otherwise, I do not think that Fallon could get 1,269 viewers.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:15 PM   #5
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Is there anyway to see what Conan's ratings trends were like on Late Night? I used to watch it religiously but then stopped maybe seven years ago.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Bah.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Is there anyway to see what Conan's ratings trends were like on Late Night? I used to watch it religiously but then stopped maybe seven years ago.

they are down .000001 million viewers since 2002.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 PM   #8
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post

I chuckled.

Last edited by Logan : 07-23-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
The really shocking news is: Jimmy Fallon: 1.269 million.

I assume that nearly every one of those poor b*stards was tied to a chair and forced to watch. Otherwise, I do not think that Fallon could get 1,269 viewers.

have you checked it out? or are you just saying that based on nothing?

his sketches are funny, they play to his strengths as much as possible
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, some people just can't stand looking at Jimmy Fallon. I get annoyed simply when he shows up after Poker After Dark on the DVR.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:29 PM   #11
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Sucks for Conan, but I think it'll work itself out. Worst case scenario Leno comes back and Conan goes to Fox or ABC.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #12
RendeR
Coordinator

I can't understand why anyone is surprised at the drop off?

Leno COULD be funny if the material was good and funny.

Conan has never been funny to begin with.

Hosting a late night comedy show requires "funny"

Even letterman in his geriatric overly preserved state is funnier than Conan.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post
I can't understand why anyone is surprised at the drop off?

Leno COULD be funny if the material was good and funny.

Hosting a late night comedy show requires "funny"

Even letterman in his geriatric overly preserved state is funnier than Conan.
Now just to be clear, are you stating this as objective fact or subjective opinion? Because if it is the former, someone needs to let the NBC suits know.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 07-23-2009, 02:52 PM   #14
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RendeR View Post

You lost me. Is your sense of humor chip broken? Even my 86 year-old grandma thought Conan was funny at times. Seriously.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
have you checked it out? or are you just saying that based on nothing?

his sketches are funny, they play to his strengths as much as possible

Some of the sketches are alright, but for someone who used to do stand-up comedy, he struggles imo to a surprising degree with his monologues--they can be painful, and I do not see him getting much better (unlike Conan, who was awkward initially but got the hang of it after a while).

The Roots make a cool house band.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #16
molson
General Manager

I never met someone that liked Jay Leno. I've never figured out who his audience is. I'd guess middle-aged housewifes, but I wouldn't think they were up so late.

(I realize the numbers say lots of people like and watch him. My only contention is that those numbers must be an illusion, or some kind of massive computer error, improbably repeating itself year after year).

Last edited by molson : 07-23-2009 at 03:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #17
Capital
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of New York View Post
Some of the sketches are alright, but for someone who used to do stand-up comedy, he struggles imo to a surprising degree with his monologues--they can be painful, and I do not see him getting much better (unlike Conan, who was awkward initially but got the hang of it after a while).

The Roots make a cool house band.

You're right about that regarding Fallon. I think the same is hurting Conan in this timeslot. Conan has improved his monologue skills over the years (painful to watch in the beginning) but I think that people turned into Leno's version to the watch the monologue.

If you liked Leno's version and then tried to watch Conan, I can see why the ratings are down. IMO, Conan's strength is the skits - he overacts too much during the monologue. As someone who watch Leno's monologue (and then generally turned off the tv), I've wanted to turn off Conan's version a few times.
Capital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I never met someone that liked Jay Leno. I've never figured out who his audience is. I'd guess middle-aged housewifes, but I wouldn't think they were up so late.

(I realize the numbers say lots of people like and watch him. My only contention is that those numbers must be an illusion, or some kind of massive computer error, improbably repeating itself year after year).

I think people like my grandma liked him because he was harmless, and also because of loyalty to the "Tonight Show" brand. So, I guess it was basically old people.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I ask because at one point he seemed very culturally relevant, then (for me at least) he just disappeared. I assume his ratings didn't change much, especially since he was given 11:30, but was curious if those younger than me started when people my age stopped.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

I lost access to NBC recently and I really miss my Conan and Craig Ferguson can get old quickly.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #21
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty View Post
You lost me. Is your sense of humor chip broken? Even my 86 year-old grandma thought Conan was funny at times. Seriously.

My sense of humor works just fine thanks, I simply don't find 12 yr old ass-grabbery funny anymore...you know, since like..I was 12? That's been Conan's schtick all along. Stupid-funny, isn't. Its just stupid.

And of course this is simply my opinion, however as the rating show I can't be completely wrong. the suits at NBC have never been known for their intelligence anyway, so this is just more of the same.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #22
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Yes, clearly nobody over the age of 12 would find Conan funny. Except pretty much every working comedian and comedy writer, in addition to lots of people on this board. But, please, go on shitting your opinion all over the place as if anyone respects it.

"Everyone's a voyeurist--they're watching me watch them watch me right now."
ThunderingHERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderingHERD View Post
Yes, clearly nobody over the age of 12 would find Conan funny.

Actually, when Render's right he's right. Although technically speaking he's funny to people chronologically over the age 12 although I think his intent wasn't so literal as to not include them.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:46 PM   #24
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

If you don't like him, fine. Why do you feel it necessary to insult people who do? There are obviously many funny, intelligent people who think he's great--so any argument that positions you as "above" it is just laughable.

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 07-23-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #25
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you don't like him, fine. Why do you feel it necessary to insult people who do?

Honestly, I really do feel as though anybody over the age of about 22 that isn't high to the point that pretty much anything is funny and yet still finds Conan funny in more than a couple of minutes watching-a-trainwreck-in-motion sort of way could be from another planet or else has some serious maturity issues.

Sure, there are people over 40 who think Pauly Shore is high comedy too but they aren't make them immune to criticism or outright mockery either.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

if I had to name the two comedy experts of the FOFC, it absolutely would be RendeR and JiMGA. No question.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 PM   #27
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Honestly, I really do feel as though anybody over the age of about 22 that isn't high to the point that pretty much anything is funny and yet still finds Conan funny in more than a couple of minutes watching-a-trainwreck-in-motion sort of way could be from another planet or else has some serious maturity issues.

Except that demonstrably isn't the case. Some of the most successful writer, producers, and performers in comedy are on the record as being fans of Conan. But, by all means, lets have Fatty McWifeswap school us all on comedy and maturity.

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 07-23-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:21 PM   #28
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
if I had to name the two comedy experts of the FOFC, it absolutely would be RendeR and JiMGA. No question.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:31 PM   #29
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some of the most successful writer, producers, and performers in comedy are on the record as being fans of Conan.

{scratches head} Proving what exactly?

Ever see the Grammy's? Quality, or even any redeeming value whatsoever for that matter, has never really seemed to have much to do with who artists select for awards. I can't really imagine how personal fandom is going to be any different.

Look, you're welcome to like who you like. Nobody is telling you that you can't (or at least not as far as I can tell they aren't). At the same time, if admitting it publicly exposes you to a certain amount of ridicule, that's your own fault.

I've seen people get grieved for admitting liking (off the top of my head): Creed, Barry Manilow, and 80's metal. WTF makes you or Conan more special than any of those cases or artists? Hell, all three examples have a larger fan bases than your guy and were more successful in their niches then he's ever been, so lighten up Francis, if you can't take the heat then don't admit to it in a public place.

edit to add: And don't even get me started on the heat that pro wrestling or NASCAR fans have gotten here.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-23-2009 at 06:32 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:34 PM   #30
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

I really enjoy conan at times. You kinda already know the punch lines with Letterman and leno, but if you enjoy that and the masses do also, then you must be right.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #31
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
{scratches head} Proving what exactly?

Was that really a hard point to follow? You said:

Quote:
Honestly, I really do feel as though anybody over the age of about 22 that isn't high to the point that pretty much anything is funny and yet still finds Conan funny in more than a couple of minutes watching-a-trainwreck-in-motion sort of way could be from another planet or else has some serious maturity issues

So I point out that people who not only don't conform to that description, but also could be considered to be experts in the field, find Conan funny. How is that not relevant to the statement that you made? If you want to criticize him, fine. But if you want to criticize based on assumptions about the audience then obviously it's fair to point out how those assumptions are wrong.

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 07-23-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I point out that people who not only don't conform to that description, but also could be considered to be experts in the field, find Conan funny.

Nothing about being a so-called "expert in the field" exempts anyone from having maturity issues. They could easily be what you call them (experts) and what I'd call them (shallow little twits with the maturity level of a fry-brained adolescent) at the same time, absolutely nothing mutually exclusive about those two things.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 PM   #33
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Nothing about being a so-called "expert in the field" exempts anyone from having maturity issues. They could easily be what you call them (experts) and what I'd call them (shallow little twits with the maturity level of a fry-brained adolescent) at the same time, absolutely nothing mutually exclusive about those two things.

I see, so you're going the "no true Scotsman" route. Have fun with that.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #34
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I see, so you're going the "no true Scotsman" route. Have fun with that.

Lordy, the crap you have the time to worry about.

I don't think anyone who matured much past the frat rat state could tolerate more than a few minutes of Conan ... big f'n deal, it's an opinion, although it's not exactly one on a subject that's a major litmus test for me. I'm kind of .... bemused that my generally low opinion of him or his fan base is an issue of concern worth more than two posts max for you but whatever works I guess.
I don't really understand that but I'm not planning to lose much sleep over it either. Matter of fact, I'm gonna try to knock off a little nap right now.

edit to add: I'm just glad I didn't mention what I think of Kimmel and his audience.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 07-23-2009 at 07:14 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:23 PM   #35
ThunderingHERD
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Lordy, the crap you have the time to worry about.

I'm not sure how this took any more of my time than it did yours. If somebody directly responds to me then I'm going to follow up on it if need be (e.g. a bad argument is put forth)--I don't think that's unreasonable. Enjoy your nap.

Last edited by ThunderingHERD : 07-23-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:25 PM   #36
RendeR
Coordinator

Wow, how often can I say "Thank you Jon" on this board?

But really, thank you Jon. Saved me any number of wasted posts.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM   #37
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

the rest of FOFC would like to thank Jon also
Old 07-23-2009, 08:25 PM   #38
RendeR
Coordinator

Please stop causing problems.

Old 07-23-2009, 10:47 PM   #39
larnott
n00b

Quote:

Sure, there are people over 40 who think Pauly Shore is high comedy too but they aren't make them immune to criticism or outright mockery either.

QFT.

Conan + Jimmy program to idiots and/or those under 25.
larnott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 PM   #40
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I'm 31, I never get high, and I like Conan. Which apparently puts me in the idiot category. Fuck.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:18 PM   #41
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
I'm 31, I never get high, and I like Conan. Which apparently puts me in the idiot category. Fuck.

lol look at the idiot
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:24 PM   #42
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
lol look at the idiot

I need to get off this board and just focus on YouTube comments from now on. Stay with my kind.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #43
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larnott View Post
QFT.

Conan + Jimmy program to idiots and/or those under 25.

WORD. These guys don't even repeat every single punchline three times!!! They DON'T repeat IT! They just DON'T, right Kev?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 AM   #44
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Meh. I like Conan's brand of Comedy. Stupid funny is funny to most people.

Fallon is irritating though. His jokes aren't actually that bad, but his delivery is simply off... he mumbles through skits, and can't seem to appreciate that delivering the punchline or skit while laughing at how funny it is actually makes the joke lame.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM   #45
molson
General Manager

I'm really curious what the more mature comedy observers find funny. What exactly is "grown up" comedy in the U.S. in 2009?

I think Conan operates on two levels. Obviously most of it is lower brow. But he definitely breaks out the nerdy/Harvard/Simpsons/ironic kind of humor a lot also, usually in an improvisation.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 AM   #46
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
WORD. These guys don't even repeat every single punchline three times!!! They DON'T repeat IT! They just DON'T, right Kev?

I think that's the second winner for Logan in as many days.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:17 AM   #47
Subby
lolzcat

Don't get me started on those immature fuckers that find NASCAR and pro wrestling entertaining.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #48
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Don't get me started on those immature fuckers that find NASCAR and pro wrestling entertaining.

Damn it, I like all the immature stuff.

Maybe I just haven't been exposed to higher culture. Do we even have that in the U.S? I'd be willing to try it out if I knew where to look.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #49
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordscarlet View Post
I think that's the second winner for Logan in as many days.

I'm in the middle of a vicious andro/HGH cycle right now.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:28 AM   #50
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Maybe I just haven't been exposed to higher culture. Do we even have that in the U.S? I'd be willing to try it out if I knew where to look.

Well there's always Big Brother and Real Housewives