Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-07-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Are you in shape?

After reading a few posts in the EA Active thread, I got to wondering...how many FOFCers, other than Fritz of course, are great big greasy fat manbeasts? How many FOFCers workout every day, or at least damn near, and could even pull off posing in patriotic underpants? Of course this is all relative, because one person might consider themselves slightly out of shape because they use to run 4 miles a day, and now they only run 2...whereas the next person might consider themselves in shape because they just dropped from 30% body fat to 25% just by not eatting cheesy poofs everyday. But regardless of all that...

Are you in shape? What do you do to keep in shape? If you weren't in shape before and are now, how did you get there?

Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am not in shape but by no means and in terrible shape. I am probably 10-20 pounds overweight. I used to be in fantastic shape, but herniated 3 disks in my back 3 years ago and it took a long time to get back to being able to walk upright let alone do anything physical.

I plan on doing more this summer to get back in shape.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
hawk4669
High School JV

I am in shape. January 1st? Nope.

I had an epiphany coming into the new year. I was 195 lbs, my cholesterol was way too high (300 plus), and I was grossly out of shape. For someone in my profession, this was a recipe for an early heart attack. And all of that before 34.

January 1st I DRASTICALLY altered my diet, and started exercising on a regular basis. I credit the Wii Fit for helping be my gateway to getting into a routine. All of this on my own without counselling, gimmick diets, or anything like that.

As a point of reference, I tried to run a mile January 1st and failed. Miserably. I was VERY embarrassed.

Today? I'm 150 lbs (45 lbs lost), I run 5 miles a day, and work with weights nearly every day. I'm seeing great returns on the weights (I have abs!!). I feel, and look, great. I'm very happy. The best part? I've cut my cholesterol in half without medication. My body fat on Jan. 1st was 27%. Last check, it was now down to 16%.

Maybe that was a bit more than what you were looking for....but yes, I am in great shape. Now. I'm pretty proud of myself and am motivated to stay where I am now. I am having no problems maintaining my weight with my new good habits, and have seen dramatic differences in my performance at work, etc. It is awesome.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org

Last edited by hawk4669 : 06-07-2009 at 07:59 PM.
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
Dutch
"Dutch"

I run 2-3 miles 3 or 4 times a week, so I guess I've got that going for me. However, I have a nice little beer gut and am about 15-20 pounds overweight. If I could drop 20 pounds, I'd be content with that.

My oldest son (14 years old) started going to the gym every day so suddenly I've got a bit of reason to get into better shape.

Last edited by Dutch : 06-07-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #5
Peregrine
Pro Starter

I'm definitely very out of shape.
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

If you see me running, call 911 because something extremely scary is chasing me. And if you see me engaged in anything more strenuous than changing the disc in my son's 360 so I can play, then you know I was placed in a situation that was pretty much unavoidable. In short, I leave my chair only when I have to and then for as little time as possible. Combine those facts with a 2 1/2 pack a day cigarette habit, a 3 pot a day coffee habit, and what I would conservatively estimate as about 3 times the recommended daily allowance of fats, saturated fats, and pretty much everything else that's considered negative on a food label. I imagine that probably puts me down as a "no" for your question.

Funny thing is that my weight hasn't fluctuated by more than 5-6 pounds from my early/mid-20's to my early 40's and I'm apparently either the right weight or slightly underweight depending upon what standard you want to use (I checked here, first Google for ideal body weight that came up).

Go figure.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Good for you Hawk!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #8
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

JIMG will outlive all of us
Old 06-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #9
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

45 lbs in 5 months? that's f**ing incredible! congrats.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #10
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I am shape but I run a lot slower(And can run for too long either) then I use because of my ankle. That being said playing basketball is pain free while playing football makes my ankle swell.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #11
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk4669 View Post
I am in shape. January 1st? Nope.

I had an epiphany coming into the new year. I was 195 lbs, my cholesterol was way too high (300 plus), and I was grossly out of shape. For someone in my profession, this was a recipe for an early heart attack. And all of that before 34.

January 1st I DRASTICALLY altered my diet, and started exercising on a regular basis. I credit the Wii Fit for helping be my gateway to getting into a routine. All of this on my own without counselling, gimmick diets, or anything like that.

As a point of reference, I tried to run a mile January 1st and failed. Miserably. I was VERY embarrassed.

Today? I'm 150 lbs (45 lbs lost), I run 5 miles a day, and work with weights nearly every day. I'm seeing great returns on the weights (I have abs!!). I feel, and look, great. I'm very happy. The best part? I've cut my cholesterol in half without medication. My body fat on Jan. 1st was 27%. Last check, it was now down to 16%.

Maybe that was a bit more than what you were looking for....but yes, I am in great shape. Now. I'm pretty proud of myself and am motivated to stay where I am now. I am having no problems maintaining my weight with my new good habits, and have seen dramatic differences in my performance at work, etc. It is awesome.

Cheers!

How tall are you? I'm surprised to hear how high your cholesterol was at only 195 lbs! Congrats by the way, I love hearing about people who decide to lose unhealthy weight all on their own.

Myself, I've always had a problem keeping weight ON. I've got one of those metabolisms that's like a cheetah, with rollerblades, on ice. It doesn't seem to matter how much I lift, and what I eat, because I've never been able to get above 158-159. My proudest weight lifting moment was when I was 145lbs and bench pressed 260. That was 4-5 years ago, and yeah...that's not happening again. Now I'm fluctuating somewhere around 140-145, running 3 miles a day, and strongly considering doing a half-marathon either late this year or early next year. I drink beer, and eat chicken, burgers, and steak every damn day.

Last edited by Sun Tzu : 06-07-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Sun Tzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
clemsonfan
High School JV

I am not in shape but I am working on it.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #13
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I'm in shape, but I have to be a gym junkie. Can't run or do martial arts or play soccer anymore thanks to my ankle, and right now my hand is still fubar'd keeping me from riding my bike. When work (specifically, travel) isn't getting in my way, I'm at the gym 5-7 days/week. Twice a week is 30 minutes of cardio + 1 hour (ish) of lifting, the others are 1 hour+ of cardio.

I've been traveling a lot lately (ever since the launch of NSS-9, actually), so I wouldn't mind dropping a couple of pounds I put on while traveling, but I can still do an hour at a high heart rate, so from a physiological perspective, I'm doing decent.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #14
Groundhog
Coordinator

Two years ago I hyper-extended my knee which put my out of action and saw my weight jump up to about 218lbs at one point. This morning I was at 183lbs, though it may be a little higher than that after my Korean BBQ lunch in 2 hours time.

I go for three 2.5 km jogs per week, play one game of basketball, and do 50 pushups 4 nights a week.

Most important of all was cutting most of the crap out of my diet. I'm a boring eater, so my daily meal of toast for breakfast, soup for lunch, and soup again for dinner doesn't bother me too much, sometimes with some veggies thrown in for good measure. On the weekends I'm far less healthy with my diet, but as long as I stick to it during the week for the most part and keep up my exercise I think I can afford to pig out a few times.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #15
sabotai
General Manager

I do work out, but I'm not in shape. I lift weights 4 days a week....well, I try to. Sometimes I miss a few days because of migraines or have to cut back due to pulling something. Since I have started, I have noticed a lot of muscle growth, so I'm not a big fat slob. But I still eat too much so I still have too much of a gut...once I get over that hurdle, I'll be set (plus, I need to work in more cardio).
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Galaxy
Coordinator

Any good tips/advice for newbies (including the gym) looking to start strength conditioning program? I'm short and pretty scrawny.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:17 PM   #17
JS19
College Prospect

I like to think I'm in pretty good shape. Try to run around 25 miles a week, although I'm starting to do sprints in the coming weeks, so that will cut into my distance running, and in the gym 5-6 days. I fall in that category, not to toot my own horn, but somebody who is in good shape, but not satisfied. Mostly when it comes to abs, just can't seem to get them. I would assume it's because I can't seem to stay on a great diet. I'm so strict on myself with diet for about 3-4 weeks, and I'll be the first to admit I really have no clue what I'm doing when it comes to dieting, so I could be doing it totally wrong, but anyhoo, I'm so strict with it I always end up cracking, and then bam, a week long of not giving a shit what I eat/drink, then I start all over again.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #18
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Any good tips/advice for newbies (including the gym) looking to start strength conditioning program? I'm short and pretty scrawny.

Get yourself a whey protien shake first and foremost. When lifting, don't look around at the big roidheads lifting rediculous amounts and jerking their bodies all over the place. Get yourself some lightweight stuff, and just concentrate on form. Get in a solid 15 reps, without breaking form, then 12, then 10, then just go until your muscles fail. Some people prefer to work just one muscle group per day, some like to do two, some like to knock out their entire upper body. Up to you on that one.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
Tiphnie
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu View Post
How tall are you? I'm surprised to hear how high your cholesterol was at only 195 lbs! Congrats by the way, I love hearing about people who decide to lose unhealthy weight all on their own.

Myself, I've always had a problem keeping weight ON. I've got one of those metabolisms that's like a cheetah, with rollerblades, on ice. It doesn't seem to matter how much I lift, and what I eat, because I've never been able to get above 158-159. My proudest weight lifting moment was when I was 145lbs and bench pressed 260. That was 4-5 years ago, and yeah...that's not happening again. Now I'm fluctuating somewhere around 140-145, running 3 miles a day, and strongly considering doing a half-marathon either late this year or early next year. I drink beer, and eat chicken, burgers, and steak every damn day.

I'm 5'8". And trust me, my diet was awful. Seriously. I gave up a ton of my favorite stuff, and started logging everything I ate to keep track, etc. In all honesty, logging what I ate was huge for me. 1. it showed me how many calories, fat, and cholesterol I was piling on per day and 2. it really helped me tone down my portions and the amount I was eating.

Everyone is different, but it was huge for me.

Cheers!
Tiphnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #20
Tiphnie
n00b

Uh...that was supposed to be from Hawk4669....but I'm on my wife Tiphnie's PC. Doh! My daughter is playing Sims 3 on my computer.

Cheers!

Last edited by Tiphnie : 06-07-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Tiphnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #21
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:

Commitment. You need to stick with it, more than likely you will get extremely discouraged and borderline pissed because you feel as though you are getting nothing accomplished. Also, assuming you will be going to a gym, don't feel intimidated or inferior if you see all these muscleheads, or even a guy your size putting up twice the weight. Try to develop a routine, set some modest goals, and go for it.

Oh yea, make sure you use proper form and know what you are doing.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #22
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Like I said above, I think I'm in pretty good shape. One thing I really need to work on, though, is my flexibility, or stretching more regularly. While most of my joints move too much, I find that many of my muscles, especially those in my legs (in particular my calves and my hamstrings) are always tight. It's weird, I've been told I'm odd because I love cardio and hate lifting. I also get bored with stretching.

Truthfully, I think I only like cardio because I kind of play with it...I have a heart rate monitor and I like to play games to see what I can do with my heart rate while I'm working out. Plus, I use my longer days as an opportunity to "read" as I listen to audiobooks...

/tk
Old 06-07-2009, 08:27 PM   #23
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Get yourself a whey protien shake first and foremost. When lifting, don't look around at the big roidheads lifting rediculous amounts and jerking their bodies all over the place. Get yourself some lightweight stuff, and just concentrate on form. Get in a solid 15 reps, without breaking form, then 12, then 10, then just go until your muscles fail. Some people prefer to work just one muscle group per day, some like to do two, some like to knock out their entire upper body. Up to you on that one.

How many shakes per day (do you drink it first or after) and where are the best places to buy them?

You should do two or three sets (from 10-to-15 reps) each workout, correct?

I just don't know exactly what to do.

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-07-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #24
Comey
College Starter

I've dropped 20 pounds since February, simply by not eating as much. I've been told by a lot of people that I look a lot different, though at 220 pounds, I don't feel it.

I'm in reasonable shape, but by all means, not in the shape I used to be in. I can still play some basketball and I pitched five innings of baseball today (after going to two nights of DMB shows in Hartford and never sitting down)...but I have no endurance. I'd like to build that back up, along with toning down and getting to 190-200.

I think I'll take some of the tips in this thread. I know my diet totally sucks...but between my gf and I, our schedules are difficult to match up for a home-cooked meal.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:28 PM   #25
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I need to seriously get into shape. The numbers don't sound like I am that far off (6'2", 195) but it's not the right 195.

Unfortunately do have one major issue which is a catch 22. I have a medical condition in which I should not work out in any kind of strenuous manner.

I started, but then got sidetracked by lousy weather, to walk each night. I need to get back to that every day as well as cutting out the sodas. I tend to cut sodas out for a bit and then something comes up like a span of overnights needed for work and I go back to them for the cafein, or I have "just one" and it ends up leading me back to my pattern.

I used to be able to eat all sorts of crap and not gain an ounce. I also used to have a job in which I used to walk a lot. Now I am pretty much at the desk most of the day.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:29 PM   #26
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
After reading a few posts in the EA Active thread, I got to wondering...how many FOFCers, other than Fritz of course, are great big greasy fat manbeasts? How many FOFCers workout every day, or at least damn near, and could even pull off posing in patriotic underpants? Of course this is all relative, because one person might consider themselves slightly out of shape because they use to run 4 miles a day, and now they only run 2...whereas the next person might consider themselves in shape because they just dropped from 30% body fat to 25% just by not eatting cheesy poofs everyday. But regardless of all that...

Are you in shape? What do you do to keep in shape? If you weren't in shape before and are now, how did you get there?

Not realy, but been working hard on it. The plan is to be in the best shape of my life by Easter of next year, so I can run a marathon. That goal is something nice and tangible to keep me motivated.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
Commitment. You need to stick with it, more than likely you will get extremely discouraged and borderline pissed because you feel as though you are getting nothing accomplished. Also, assuming you will be going to a gym, don't feel intimidated or inferior if you see all these muscleheads, or even a guy your size putting up twice the weight. Try to develop a routine, set some modest goals, and go for it.

I'll talk to my close cousin when comes up in a few weeks (an D1 college athlete). Maybe have him go to the gym with and have him give me a guide and a workout program.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:31 PM   #28
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post

If you belong to a gym and can afford it, it can help to get a personal trainer for a little bit of time, to show you around the gym and help you formulate workouts (multiple) that will work for you. Doing the same thing over and over gets boring and you can actually train your muscles to "know" what to expect as it were. Some gyms also have programs that are kind of like group exercise for lifting, which can be cheaper than a personal trainer and still give you the exposure to the things you could do on your own, and can be a way to jump in.

I'll also echo what the others have said. Commitment is key, not getting bogged down if you don't think you're making progress. Varying your workouts helps tremendously. And, don't push it too hard too fast. The last thing you need when you're starting out is to go so hard that it hurts so that the next time you "should" go you don't want to (or worse, getting a real injury). Of course, after you get into it, you'll find that one of the best ways to combat the soreness is to go do a lighter workout with those sore muscles.

/tk
Old 06-07-2009, 08:32 PM   #29
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousekeeper View Post
45 lbs in 5 months? that's f**ing incredible! congrats.

not to take anything away but I believe you should lose an average of 2lbs per weak if you take the correct steps, so while I admire him it really isn't an out of the ordinary number.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #30
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:
How many shakes per day (do you drink it first or after) and where are the best places to buy them?

You should do two or three sets (from 10-to-15 reps) each workout, correct?

I just don't know exactly what to do.

Shakes...I would do one in the morning and one immediately after lifting...but only once you're a few weeks into it. First start out with just the shake after lifting. As far as where to buy them...well GNC is easy and everywhere. Once you find something you like you can just start buying online where you'll get it for 30-50% less too.

Regarding how many sets you do, per movement, per muscle group...well that depends on how much of a newbie you really are. If you're a new, new, new newbie, I'd start out with just 2 or 3 movements per muscle group, and 3 sets per movement. Like for example...if you're doing biceps.

3 sets of preacher curls, 15-12-10
3 sets of standing alternating dumbell curls...same
3 sets of standing barbell (curling bar) curls...same same
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #31
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'm in better shape now than I have been in years. I'm 5'11" 155 lbs, and feel great. I don't do anything scheduled to stay in shape, but I do play lot's of basketball and golf. I run with my dog sometimes.

The biggest thing is this: I don't snack ever.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #32
hawk4669
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
not to take anything away but I believe you should lose an average of 2lbs per weak if you take the correct steps, so while I admire him it really isn't an out of the ordinary number.

No offense taken. I did what was right for me and it paid dividends. While I didn't have a trainer, diet, etc I was making sure that my doc was happy with what I was doing. Lost most of the weight in 3 1/2 months and have been in maintain mode the last month and a half or so.

All is good. Again, if you're not sure what you are doing is right/wrong always check with your doc or at the VERY least a diet expert/trainer/etc.

Cheers!

www.hbfire.org
hawk4669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:38 PM   #33
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Like I said above, I think I'm in pretty good shape. One thing I really need to work on, though, is my flexibility, or stretching more regularly. While most of my joints move too much, I find that many of my muscles, especially those in my legs (in particular my calves and my hamstrings) are always tight. It's weird, I've been told I'm odd because I love cardio and hate lifting. I also get bored with stretching.

Truthfully, I think I only like cardio because I kind of play with it...I have a heart rate monitor and I like to play games to see what I can do with my heart rate while I'm working out. Plus, I use my longer days as an opportunity to "read" as I listen to audiobooks...

/tk

yoga?
Old 06-07-2009, 08:40 PM   #34
RainMaker
General Manager

Not horrible but the other day I noticed getting winded going up a few flights of stairs. I'm going to hit 30 this year so I just can't get by on age alone. Have made it my goal to start working out 30 minutes a day and getting more active around the house with things. Was considering building a standing desk in the living room so I could surf the net while standing instead of lounging on the couch.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #35
hoopsguy
General Manager

I'm closer to being in shape than I used to be. I've been playing soccer 2x per week and hitting the treadmill another 1-2 times per week. That, plus cutting soda down to one per day, have about an inch off my waist and the weight down about 10 pounds (over three months) to 176.

Ideal body weight, according to the link Jon posted, is about 166 and that is probably a good weight. I think that is doable (better control over lunch, cutting out that last Coke per day, little better job of consistent meals/portions), but realistically if I don't incorporate some lifting into my fitness routine it won't be a great 166. I'll probably be down another inch on my waist and look better than I do now. But it certainly is not going to be a "Bowflex body".
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:42 PM   #36
kcchief19
Pro Starter

I'm horribly out of shape. Weight has always been a problem for me. Funny thing is, in my late teens and early 20s I was more overweight than most and really struggled with my weight and self-esteem about it. I was 6-4, 240 with a 38-inch waist and thought I was "fat."

Today, I'd kill for those numbers. Looking at pictures of myself then, I really I was remarkably trim. When I got a desk job and stopped working in the field, I lost the battle with my weight and really got into trouble. If I lost 125 pounds, I'd be happy with my physical condition but that's very difficult to do.

Complicating matters is that, as some may remember, I ruptured my patella tendon about five years ago. My knees have always been a problem (playing catcher should be considered child abuse, in retrospect). Now I have even less strength and mobility than I used too. My left knee has essentially no cartilage and my right knee has enough subluxation that it is wearing the cartilage there too. Last fall I tore my meniscus and my orthopedist has recommend that I avoid any exercise that puts weight or motion on my knees.

That makes it even harder to lose weight. I almost have to join a gym to exercise because even biking and especially running are not good for my knees. Before I torn my meniscus, I had lost about 30 pounds and was moving in the right direction.

The things I enjoy doing most -- tennis, basketball, etc. -- are things that I really can't do anymore with my knees. I can still run short distance so that's not too much of a problem, but my agility sucks so much that I'm useless at those sports.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:43 PM   #37
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Are you in shape?

Yes I am, if the shape you are referring to is round. You might have seen me on tv. I was the model for happy fun ball.

Do not taunt me.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #38
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

6'2", 260 = not in shape.

Hawk is my f'ing hero.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #39
RainMaker
General Manager

For those who need to lose a lot of weight, let me state that it's actually easier than you'd think. If you treat it as a lifestyle change and not a diet, you can actually eat a lot and slowly drop the pounds. If you're real big, you can actually shed weight real fast.

I dropped about 40 pounds when I was 27 and was able to do it in 5 months. The first two weeks sucked hard but after I got used to the routine, it was nothing.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:49 PM   #40
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I weighed 260 in high school and topped out at 305 when I was 24. Decided to lose weight, dropped 40 pounds in about 4 months and was down to my current weight of about 240 within the year. Did it all through diet alone.

27 now, still the same weight. I'm 6'4" with a wide frame, 240 actually looks good on for me. But I wanted to tone up some(hitting the keyboard leaves a lot to be desired). Started doing dumbell excercises couple times a week off and on just in my bedroom. Certainly not bulked up, but there is a hint of muscle here and there .

I also mountain biked a lot for a summer, still would, but it's a pain in the ass to drag my bike down a couple flight of stairs to my car. But I want to start that again, I enjoyed it.

So relative to my lifetime, I'd say I am currently at or near my peak physically. I'll never be a marathoner or a gym rat though.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-07-2009 at 08:53 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #41
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Sadly I think I may have cracked the big 3 recently, I'm 6'4" but need to cut back on some shit.

Ideally I'd like to get down to around 230ish again, clothes fit so much better back then.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:52 PM   #42
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
For those who need to lose a lot of weight, let me state that it's actually easier than you'd think. If you treat it as a lifestyle change and not a diet, you can actually eat a lot and slowly drop the pounds. If you're real big, you can actually shed weight real fast.

I dropped about 40 pounds when I was 27 and was able to do it in 5 months. The first two weeks sucked hard but after I got used to the routine, it was nothing.

+1

Good friend of mine lost a lot of weight by changing his lifestyle. He simply cut out the soda and snacking while doing nothing. Coupled with getting involved in every basketball league he can find he was able to lose weight.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 PM   #43
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
+1

Good friend of mine lost a lot of weight by changing his lifestyle. He simply cut out the soda and snacking while doing nothing. Coupled with getting involved in every basketball league he can find he was able to lose weight.
My mom lost 10 pounds by just cutting out her Pepsi fix. 500 calories a day = 1 pound a week. That should be the goal for anyone starting. That can be 3 cans of soda or a dessert. Once you get that going you can start cutting into the other stuff.

I think we almost scare people into hating a diet. They look at it as starving themselves. Truth is that if you eat good foods, you can eat a shitload of them and still have less calories than what you normally eat.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #44
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
My mom lost 10 pounds by just cutting out her Pepsi fix. 500 calories a day = 1 pound a week. That should be the goal for anyone starting. That can be 3 cans of soda or a dessert. Once you get that going you can start cutting into the other stuff.

That's the first thing I did before I really cut down on what I ate. Replaced coke with water, which was actually easier than I anticipated. I'm also a complete coffee fiend, which hasn't changed, but I drink it black now instead of loaded with sugar.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #45
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

this is so true, it's little changes.

Egg whites instead of eggs, tea or water instead of soda, wheat bread, etc...
Old 06-07-2009, 09:06 PM   #46
RainMaker
General Manager

I firmly believe that if everyone dropped soda consumption, this country's obesity problem would drop dramatically. It completely sucks at first if you're used to soda, but after a couple weeks, you get really used to water and start to crave it.

I still have issues with drinking water during meals so I do drink a diet Mountain Dew with dinner or some of those fruit flavored waters that have 0 calories.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:10 PM   #47
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
I firmly believe that if everyone dropped soda consumption, this country's obesity problem would drop dramatically. It completely sucks at first if you're used to soda, but after a couple weeks, you get really used to water and start to crave it.

I still have issues with drinking water during meals so I do drink a diet Mountain Dew with dinner or some of those fruit flavored waters that have 0 calories.

Me and my roommate buy crystal light and not only is it cheaper and it tastes great.

Crystal Light: 4 bucks
Gallon of water: 1.50 X 5

Way cheaper then buying pepsi, juice and that other stuff.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #48
Racer
College Benchwarmer

I'm 5'8 1/2 and weigh about 146 pounds. I run around 40 miles a week and have raced two half marathons in the last year.

My diet isn't very good though. I eat a lot of sweets and drink a lot of pop. If I cut that out, I could probably get down to around 140. I also have very little upper body strength and rarely lift weights.

So basically, I'm in shape in some ways and not so much in other ways.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #49
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post
Me and my roommate buy crystal light and not only is it cheaper and it tastes great.

Crystal Light: 4 bucks
Gallon of water: 1.50 X 5

Way cheaper then buying pepsi, juice and that other stuff.

I used to drink a lot of Crystal Light. My only gripe is that it stained the shit out of stuff. I switched over to Aquafina FlavorSplash which has 0 calories and is clear.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:21 PM   #50
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'd say I'm in shape. I'm around 160-65 lbs now (5'11'' in height). I was about 210 lbs two and a half years ago. I started to eat far, far less... basically the portions they give you in restaurants, I decided to eat half and save the rest for lunch or another dinner and that's the portion size I ate at home. Also started drinking diet sodas and cut the amount of salt I ate. And totally cut out snacks (if you don't buy them, when you are tempted, you have nothing in your pantry to eat ) Also beginning this year started to work out 3 times a week, with 35 minutes of cardio and then 10-15 minutes of weights.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 06-07-2009 at 09:24 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote