Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2006, 12:57 PM   #1
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Cricket Anyone?

After spending the time in India and seeing almost nothing but cricket on the sports channels, I am wondering if anyone knows of a good PC cricket game? I see that EA Sports has one that does not get released in North America and have found a few other titles. I was wondering if anyone herre has tried any of those games or knows one to recommend.

Thanks in advance.

EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #2
AlexB
Pro Starter

I've played three over the last year, I haven't fired any up recently.

Brian Lara Cricket on the PS2 - good fun, but very easy

Cricket Coach & International Cricket Coach - both text sims with big flaws.

EA Sports cricket had very mixed reviews - some loved it, some hated it, but I've never tried it myself due to an extreme aversion to EA Sports.

Of the three BLC would be the one I'd recommend.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 01:07 PM   #3
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

action sim or graphical sim?

EA Cricket is the only action (you be the batsman) cricket game I know of.

There's a couple really good Football Manager style management sims:

Marcus Trescothick's Cricket Coach: http://www.cricketcoachgame.com/ (by Oli Norwell)

International Cricket Captain 2006: http://www.childishthings.co.uk/
Old 11-11-2006, 01:42 PM   #4
Passacaglia
Coordinator

There's battrick.org if you're looking in the MP text sim genre. And it's free.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
SFL Cat
College Starter

Another good site to check out

http://www.cricketgames.com/index.html
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #6
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Thanks to all for the info. I have downloaded an EA title demo and tried it (for the 2005 game). It's been tough so far but I am slowly getting the hang of it. I think something along that line is what I am looking for, actually playing. I see the 2007 version is coming out soon, I'll have to try that demo.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
21C
College Prospect

For someone new to the sport, I would recommend the EA game. You can get the 2005 version shipped from Australia for about US$17 ( AUS$18.14 + AUS$3.20 shipping = AUS$21.34 which is about 16/17 bucks US ).

http://www.devoteddvd.com.au/shop/pr...ducts_id=28876

You might even find it cheaper. The 2007 version of EA's cricket and the Brian Lara PC game are around the AUS$70-80 mark which is about US$50-60.
21C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #8
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
There's battrick.org if you're looking in the MP text sim genre. And it's free.

Do you play? I have a team in the Windies.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:33 AM   #9
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I had a team in India, but had to drop it due to time constraints. I have more time now, so I might get back into it.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:19 PM   #10
fantastic flying froggies
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Do you play? I have a team in the Windies.

how does this compare to Hattrick?

I've been thinking about joining, is it worth it? especially knowing I don't know that much about cricket?
Old 11-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #11
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

It's got some similarities in general structure, but the way the games play out is a lot different. Whereas HT is about the overall team performance, BT often turns on matchups of individual skill.

I knew next to nothing about cricket when I signed up, although I did do some research so that I would have an idea of what was going on.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Why Cricketers make the best moneyballers

Twenty20 World Cup last year, 6 sixes in a row. First time it'd been done in TT. It was done once in test cricket, but it was at the World Cup in SA, but the field was short and so..it didn't look as impressive as this was. Does add to the notion that Twenty20 is just adding to the baseballization of cricket.

But it sure looks cool.

It's never on TV unless I'm unintentionally in the 400s or so channel wise and even then, it's rare. But it's a game I wish I could see more of.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 02-15-2008 at 11:10 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #13
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
Nobody's talking about the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh? Almost saw an amazing upset of South Africa by the Netherlands last night. The NETHERLANDS.

M21: SA v NED - Full Match Highlights - Highlights - Videos | ICC T20 World Cup 2014

Last edited by bbgunn : 03-27-2014 at 08:25 PM.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:40 PM   #14
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, hard to believe my first trip there was that long ago. Where does time go?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #15
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Wow, hard to believe my first trip there was that long ago. Where does time go?

It goes way too fast. Still remember my trip to India fondly…in 1995. Can't believe it's been 19 years.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #16
britrock88
Pro Starter

Found out that my old college roommate (from Barbados) knows one of the members of England's Twenty20 team... the one who went off against West Indies for something like 31/9 a couple weeks ago, even as a bowler. Fun to know my Bacon number (so to speak) with the team is 2 to 3.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #17
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The second game "today" between England and Sri Lanka was even better.
Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 AM   #18
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

@britrock88 - It's probably Chris Jordan, then. He did have a pretty good game that day. That is cool. I don't know anybody who knows anybody famous in the sports world - unless you count one of my co-workers, a high school basketball coach who, as a pro here in Japan, played under Kobe Bryant's father.

@SirFozzie - Ah, I missed that one. Had to go to bed. I'm getting too old - missing important sports events late at night to go to bed for work the next morning.

Last edited by bbgunn : 03-28-2014 at 01:09 AM.
bbgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:44 AM   #19
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
After spending the time in India and seeing almost nothing but cricket on the sports channels, I am wondering if anyone knows of a good PC cricket game? I see that EA Sports has one that does not get released in North America and have found a few other titles. I was wondering if anyone herre has tried any of those games or knows one to recommend.

Thanks in advance.

I have played both Cricket text sims - Cricket Coach 2014 and International Cricket Captain and both are pretty detailed. Worth checking out.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:46 AM   #20
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
Nobody's talking about the World Twenty20 in Bangladesh? Almost saw an amazing upset of South Africa by the Netherlands last night. The NETHERLANDS.

M21: SA v NED - Full Match Highlights - Highlights - Videos | ICC T20 World Cup 2014

The 2nd tier teams are catching up. Ireland isn't joking around either anymore.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #21
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbgunn View Post
@britrock88 - It's probably Chris Jordan, then. He did have a pretty good game that day. That is cool. I don't know anybody who knows anybody famous in the sports world - unless you count one of my co-workers, a high school basketball coach who, as a pro here in Japan, played under Kobe Bryant's father.

Yep, that's him. Dug up the boxscore to see he batted 27/9 with 4 6s. Sheesh. What I had forgotten is that I stopped watching at the change-over (because I had tuned into ESPN3 to watch college basketball). Color me surprised that WI batted to within 5 runs of England. And I see Jordan's economy wasn't great by any stretch, but he did at least get 3 wickets.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #22
AlexB
Pro Starter

I saw Chris Jordan practicing his bowling at Dulwich College once about four years ago when I was at a meeting there (he's an ex Dulwich student and had gone back for some one on one coaching). Fair to say he was rapid then, hate to think what he's like to face now

Last edited by AlexB : 03-28-2014 at 02:52 PM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #23
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Drachma View Post
I have played both Cricket text sims - Cricket Coach 2014 and International Cricket Captain and both are pretty detailed. Worth checking out.

Embarrassed to admit being British that I knew squat about Cricket, but am learning by playing Cricket Coach 2014, getting hooked on this gym. Nothing line the drama on the last day of a test match, trying to catch up and win in your last inning before the day is over and you get stuck with a draw for 4 days of grinding.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:05 AM   #24
BYU 14
Coordinator

T20 finals starting now on EPSN2 should be a good one between India and Sri Lanka.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #25
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
T20 finals starting now on EPSN2 should be a good one between India and Sri Lanka.

I have been watching it...I understand it a little, but I am enjoying it.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:57 PM   #26
BYU 14
Coordinator

That was a great match, Sangakkara just put Sri Lanka on his back with 52. Bringing in Perrera when they did paid off as well.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:47 PM   #27
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Ah I hated to miss the match, but it started at 10 PM Japan time and I had to get my beauty sleep for work.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:59 AM   #28
Butter
Coordinator

It was indeed a great match.

I don't know that much about cricket, but I tried to watch some of a recent test match and noticed how different it is than this Twenty20 cricket.

I really can't believe that people show up for Cricket test matches that start on a weekday and may last 4 days for 6-7 hours a day. That takes some real determination as a fan.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:07 PM   #29
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Well, if you get Willow TV, the BIG Twenty20 series (the Indian Premier League) starts in about a week.

And it can be kinda fun with all the leagues all over the world, for example, one of the best players in the world, Kevin Pietersen (a naturalized South African in England, who was dropped from the England side after numerous clashes with management) will be playing in two seperate leagues on two seperate "continents" at approximately the same time... playing for Surrey in england, and making regular eight hour flights to the island of St Lucia to play for their team in the Caribbean Premier League
Old 04-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #30
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Well, if you get Willow TV, the BIG Twenty20 series (the Indian Premier League) starts in about a week.

And it can be kinda fun with all the leagues all over the world, for example, one of the best players in the world, Kevin Pietersen (a naturalized South African in England, who was dropped from the England side after numerous clashes with management) will be playing in two seperate leagues on two seperate "continents" at approximately the same time... playing for Surrey in england, and making regular eight hour flights to the island of St Lucia to play for their team in the Caribbean Premier League

I did not know about Willow TV, it is now added to my Roku.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #31
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
For someone new to the sport, I would recommend the EA game. You can get the 2005 version shipped from Australia for about US$17 ( AUS$18.14 + AUS$3.20 shipping = AUS$21.34 which is about 16/17 bucks US ).

Cricket 2005 (Classics) - DeVoteD DVD

You might even find it cheaper. The 2007 version of EA's cricket and the Brian Lara PC game are around the AUS$70-80 mark which is about US$50-60.

21C, I am interested in some of the AFL Live games out there...any of them that will work with the PC I can have shipped to the states?
Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #32
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Never heard of Willow TV... it is subscription, I assume?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #33
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Never heard of Willow TV... it is subscription, I assume?

Free channel for Roku, looks like they stream to YouTube as well.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:10 PM   #34
Critch
lolzcat

I have Willow TV on Fios, dont pay any extra for it. I'm not sure if it's part of the basic tier or if it's in with the "Sports Package" I pay $9 a month for (for Bein Sports mainly) but it arrived in time for the Ashes test matches at the end of last year.

I watched some of that live until it became obvious England were totally outclassed. It got so bad I couldnt even enjoy them losing.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM   #35
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

It's a sports package.

And you probably have to pay for a Willow TV subscription to get it on YouTube or Roku (I had to when it was on youtube)
Old 04-16-2014, 06:59 AM   #36
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

delayed dola: For the folks who want to watch more cricket, if you have ESPN 3, they are going to show seven IPL games (a game a week I think) and one of the semi finals)
Old 04-16-2014, 07:16 AM   #37
Butter
Coordinator

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:48 AM   #38
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

New channel for Cricket/Soccer fans.. OneWorld Sports:

ONE WORLD Sports Acquires Rights To England’s Home International Cricket Matches

Channel 309 on Verizon FIOS (being added across the country).

Includes England cricket and a bunch of soccer.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 PM   #39
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

I watched some of One World Sports coverage of England / Sri Lanka yesterday. For those of you who do not know anything about the game, they had a scroll at the bottom defining a lot of the terminology and rules. You can pick most of it up from simply watching if you put in the time. I've been watching cricket pretty regularly since IPL 2013.

Willow will sometimes post entire matches to their YouTube channel that you can watch for free. I know that several IPL 2013 matches are up there right now.

At first I thought T20 was interesting and the rest were boring. After a while, I began to like ODIs, and now can even appreciate test matches. The more casual approach and less short-attention-span driven atmosphere are cool. The commentators also seem to have a lot more fun with almost everyone being former cricketers instead of being relegated to "color commentator."

If you have a Roku, you might check out a free trial with Dish World when that opportunity comes around. It doesn't work great for everyone, but I've had few reasons to complain (not to mention that I currently pay half the price I started at a year ago and went from 2 channels to 18).

Almost forgot that One World Sports also shows Yomiuri Giants games from NPB live.

Last edited by Tekneek : 05-21-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:04 PM   #40
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

So... that was... insane.

Mumbai vs rajasthan in the final meaningful game of the Indian premier league season. Mumbai needs not only to win.. but to do it in 14.3 overs to take fourth place to qualify for the playoffs (and also qualify for the Champions League t20 tournament)

When Rajasthan put on 189 in their innings.. it looked impossible. 190 is a high target in 120 balls.. to do it in 87 is nearly impossible.

Nearly.

Thanks to some big timely hitting the Mumbai team was 188 for 4 at the 14.2 over mark. The dream was seemingly dead when the shot was scuffed and the batsmen were run out going for a second run..

Then they realized that with the score tied.. The match wasn't QUITE over yet. They did the math and realized that Mumbai still had a chance to move their seasons run rate ahead of their opponents. They would have ONE more ball... and they needed at least a four to do it. To make things worse.. since the last batsman had been run out.. The new batsmen would face the delivery.

In baseball terms.. it's like the pinch hitter came in with two strikes and needing to hit the next delivery for at least a ground rule double.

The ball was bowled.. and hammered for six runs and massive celebrations
Old 05-25-2014, 04:52 PM   #41
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Corey Anderson put on an incredible performance. New record for fastest 150 for a T20 side as well. I was hoping Mumbai would pull it out, but that was amazing. I also watched Sri Lanka put on quite the bowling exhibition to put England all out for just 99 runs in an ODI.

Last edited by Tekneek : 05-25-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #42
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

England bounce back from a humongous shellacking against Sri Lanka with.. an even more humongous shellacking of Sri Lanka, only needing less than a quarter of their scheduled innings to win.

Sri Lanka 67 all out (24 overs/50)
England 73/0 (12.1 overs)
Old 05-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #43
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
England bounce back from a humongous shellacking against Sri Lanka with.. an even more humongous shellacking of Sri Lanka, only needing less than a quarter of their scheduled innings to win.

Sri Lanka 67 all out (24 overs/50)
England 73/0 (12.1 overs)

Wow, that is an epic beatdown
Old 06-03-2014, 02:36 PM   #44
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Oooh, some spicyness to the fifth and deciding One Day game.

Before the game, it was announced that the umpires had reported Sri Lanka's Sachithra Senanayake for possible violations in his bowling actions (amongst other things, you are not supposed to be able to bend your arm when you bowl the ball).

This means that he will have to undergo tests to determine if his bowling style is legal within 21 days. If he falls short, he will be formally barred from bowling until his delivery conforms to standards.

Then, in today's game, England are 199-6 in the final few overs, when the same guy controversially mankad's England's star batsman.

for those of you who don't follow cricket, Mankading is running out the non hitting batsman for leaving the crease early before the ball is bowled. This is the first time that it's happened in 22 years (the last time it happened was in 1992). Sri Lanka had warned the batsman previously, but generally it's just not done as everyone sees the non hitting batsman take a step or two forward as the ball is delivered.

Let's put it this way, the umpire knew the batsman would have to be given out, and he still asked Sri Lanka's Captain if he wanted to formally make the appeal, because he KNEW it would be a controversial thing.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:03 PM   #45
bhlloy
Coordinator

After Stuart Broad not walking in the Ashes, England have absolutely no right to complain that something isn't in the spirit of the game. Following on the BBC and most commenters seem to think he's well within his rights to do it after a couple of warnings
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Give me T20 or give me death.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #47
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
So... that was... insane.

Mumbai vs rajasthan in the final meaningful game of the Indian premier league season. Mumbai needs not only to win.. but to do it in 14.3 overs to take fourth place to qualify for the playoffs (and also qualify for the Champions League t20 tournament)

When Rajasthan put on 189 in their innings.. it looked impossible. 190 is a high target in 120 balls.. to do it in 87 is nearly impossible.

Nearly.

Thanks to some big timely hitting the Mumbai team was 188 for 4 at the 14.2 over mark. The dream was seemingly dead when the shot was scuffed and the batsmen were run out going for a second run..

Then they realized that with the score tied.. The match wasn't QUITE over yet. They did the math and realized that Mumbai still had a chance to move their seasons run rate ahead of their opponents. They would have ONE more ball... and they needed at least a four to do it. To make things worse.. since the last batsman had been run out.. The new batsmen would face the delivery.

In baseball terms.. it's like the pinch hitter came in with two strikes and needing to hit the next delivery for at least a ground rule double.

The ball was bowled.. and hammered for six runs and massive celebrations

Wow.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 06-03-2014 at 11:19 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:43 PM   #48
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

When you watch the video, it's super confusing as to why Mumbai got the extra ball. This from ESPN Cric tries to explain.

Mumbai Indians v Rajasthan Royals, IPL 2014, Mumbai : Why Mumbai got that extra ball | Cricket News | Pepsi Indian Premier League | ESPN Cricinfo
Old 06-04-2014, 07:19 AM   #49
Butter
Coordinator

I watched the Mumbai/Kolkata match where MI stayed in second-to-last place with 4 matches to go. I figured they were out of it... then they come back to win 4 straight and squeak into the playoffs.

Also was able to watch the Qualifier 2 between King's XI Punjab and Chennai... I thought with the score of 226 that KXIP was going to win easily... then Chennai's player hit that incredible 87 off of 25 balls and it looked like they might actually win it, as they were on pace for something like close to 300 runs. Then that guy got run out on a really stupid play, and that was about it for them.

I couldn't figure out in that Chennai game, if he was able to score so much early due to the "field limit" for the first 6 overs of having to have so many players inside the one circle to field which leaves the outfield with fewer players to guard against boundaries... or if he would've been able to continue his amazing pace if he had not been run out.

Another thing I found curious about my first real time paying attention to the IPL... 95% of the cheerleaders are white. One cheerleading group is even called "White Mischief".

Last edited by Butter : 06-04-2014 at 07:20 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 AM   #50
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I watched the Mumbai/Kolkata match where MI stayed in second-to-last place with 4 matches to go. I figured they were out of it... then they come back to win 4 straight and squeak into the playoffs.

Also was able to watch the Qualifier 2 between King's XI Punjab and Chennai... I thought with the score of 226 that KXIP was going to win easily... then Chennai's player hit that incredible 87 off of 25 balls and it looked like they might actually win it, as they were on pace for something like close to 300 runs. Then that guy got run out on a really stupid play, and that was about it for them.

I couldn't figure out in that Chennai game, if he was able to score so much early due to the "field limit" for the first 6 overs of having to have so many players inside the one circle to field which leaves the outfield with fewer players to guard against boundaries... or if he would've been able to continue his amazing pace if he had not been run out.

Another thing I found curious about my first real time paying attention to the IPL... 95% of the cheerleaders are white. One cheerleading group is even called "White Mischief".

Noticed the white cheerleaders too but was totally confused.
http://www.sify.com/mobile/movies/me...nsnudbijd.html

Apparently imported from South africa, Ukraine and places like that.