Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Kodos
Resident Alien

Who is the greatest competitor of all time?

Who do you think is the greatest single competitor in all of sport or in the gaming world (such as Chess)?

Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Who do you think is the greatest single competitor in all of sport or in the gaming world (such as Chess)?

Not sure anybody tops MJ.
(if I'm understanding the question correctly)
Old 03-23-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
digamma
Torchbearer

Julie Moss, 1982 Ironman World Championship. Poop down the legs, crawling to the finish. Came up just short. But man what competitive spirit.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM   #4
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Super Dave Osborne
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:20 PM   #5
AENeuman
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Julie Moss, 1982 Ironman World Championship. Poop down the legs, crawling to the finish. Came up just short. But man what competitive spirit.

So funny, I played her video (and the corresponding radiolab story) this morning to my sociology class. If was for the unit "What Can I Do?"
AENeuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:22 PM   #6
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I think I agree with you. Certainly the best in sport that I have seen.

As for the question, I didn't want to limit it to sport. Felt like chess should be included in the conversation, and maybe other competitions that don't initially spring to mind for me. I thought of the question while reading a Wikipedia article on Bobby Fischer, which stemmed from reading an article on the movie Searching For Bobby Fischer.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-23-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
tarcone
Coordinator

Bobby Knight

Nothing got in his way. If they did he made sure they paid.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 03-23-2017 at 02:27 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:29 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Tiger Woods has to be near the top.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #9
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Do we have to list someone who succeeded to the very top level of their field? MJ, Fischer, Brady, Montana, etc are all great, but what about someone like Russell Westbrook? Maybe Walter Payton? Great talents that didn't make it all the way to being a champion but put as much into their game as anyone.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 03:24 PM   #10
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
As for the question, I didn't want to limit it to sport.

I think my question about the question was more about whether I interpreted the intent of word choice being "competitor" correctly.

I felt like it was something about "competitive fire" or some other unquantifiable trait. My perception of MJ is that he'd go at you just as hard in tiddly winks as he would in a Finals Game 7, that it's just his mental/emotional makeup.

Then I start factoring his success & performance level next to others that I perceive as having the same makeup. And that's how he ended up on top of my list.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:45 PM   #11
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Nolan Ryan

from the different stories Ive heard perhaps Bob Gibson.

MJ
Tiger
Phelps
Bird
Nadal

such a difficult question

Last edited by jbergey22 : 03-23-2017 at 03:53 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yeah, the way this was worded, MJ immediately came front and center to my mind.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:45 PM   #13
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Same for me, the particular word 'competitor' points directly to Jordan in my mind. There are plentiful stories about how ruthless he is at golf and/or gambling, and I remember a few NBAers telling tales of Jordan spending competitively, simply to show them/you/anybody that he could spend more money, in better fashion.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:47 PM   #14
cartman
Death Herald

Stu Ungar is a lesser-known name that would rank at or near the top.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:56 PM   #15
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Two more who might be a bit out of the box.

Gordie Howe. 26 years at the top level is pretty amazing.

Dale Earnhardt Sr. Between what we know on the track, and some of the rumored stuff that Days of Thunder was supposedly based on, I'm not sure if there was a more intense competitor.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:58 PM   #16
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Agreed sir.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #17
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

MJ

To throw out another name--Al Davis. The dude basically took on his own league. That's someone who relishes the fight and the win.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #18
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It just popped into my head hours later, and now it seems both completely obvious and a glaring omission so far:

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-23-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #19
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

How about the great competitors with little to no talent?

Tom Waddle. Imagine what this guy could have been with Jerry Rice's talent!

Found this on a website describing the game

"The Bears made the play-offs & faced Dallas in a game that became Waddles defining game & cemented his place in Bears lore. Any Bears fan who watched the game will never forget it. Waddle had 9 catches for 104 yards and was hit hard after most of them. He was knocked out of the game 3 times. After the third time he was revived with smelling salts & helped from the field. In his absence a Bears rush on the goal-line was stuffed. After only one play out he staggered back into the game & caught a 6 yard TD from Harbaugh for the only Bears T.D of the game. Anyone who has not seen clips to this game needs to go straight to YouTube & find it. While Waddle never made a Pro-Bowl he did make the All-Madden team, a tribute to the toughest, no nonsense players of the game, after the 1991 season. "
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 PM   #20
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

Sorry for the size of the picture, oops
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
tarcone
Coordinator

Michael Jordan is the name I thought of also. I just threw Bobby Knoght out there for grins.

Want it Bird who asked his competitors int he the 3 point contest "Who is finishing 2nd?"

Old 03-23-2017, 08:05 PM   #22
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastWhiteSoxFanStanding View Post

"The Bears made the play-offs & faced Dallas in a game that became Waddles defining game & cemented his place in Bears lore. Any Bears fan who watched the game will never forget it. Waddle had 9 catches for 104 yards and was hit hard after most of them. He was knocked out of the game 3 times. After the third time he was revived with smelling salts & helped from the field. In his absence a Bears rush on the goal-line was stuffed. After only one play out he staggered back into the game & caught a 6 yard TD from Harbaugh for the only Bears T.D of the game. Anyone who has not seen clips to this game needs to go straight to YouTube & find it. While Waddle never made a Pro-Bowl he did make the All-Madden team, a tribute to the toughest, no nonsense players of the game, after the 1991 season. "

JE-sus, that's hardcore! And not in a good way. I know "times were different" and such, but that was only ~25 years ago and you'd think common medical sense would tell you waking a dude up from concussion and immediately sending him out onto a football field is some suspect shit, let alone doing it 3 times in the space of a couple hours. Props to dude's 'intestinal fortitude', I hope he can still spell his name.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #23
Groundhog
Coordinator

Heavy basketball bias, but I can't go past MJ either.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 PM   #24
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I'll echo MJ. That was the first thought that came to my head.

While his legacy is now tarnished, in my mind, Lance Armstrong would have also had to have been considered in this conversation at one point in history.

Finally, I'll throw out the name Dick Hoyt (or perhaps it should be Team Hoyt). If you are not familiar with Dick Hoyt, he's completed over 1100 endurance events, including 72 marathons and 7 Ironman triathalons while pushing his son, who has cerebral palsy.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #25
tarcone
Coordinator

How Could I forget this man? Dan Gable.

This guy worked his ass off. And he didnt lose. Well, once. He lost his only match ever in his final college wrestling tourney. He was a 3 time national champion. After that loss, he went to the olympics and won a gold medal. Dominating the competition. And he was wrestling Eastern Europenas and Soviets in the midst of the cold war.
Gable continued winning as a coach. At Iowa he won 20 straight B1G titles and 9 national championships in a row. And while he was coaching he would continue wrestling his athletes. And he would dominate them. He was a low weight wrestler and he would beat up on the heavy weights that were 20 years younger.

This man is the most competitive man I know.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:48 PM   #26
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think you could make a case for Bobby Clarke.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 PM   #27
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Rulon Gardner needs to be considered. His Olympic victory is one of the greatest upsets of all time.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:53 PM   #28
hollmt
High School Varsity

While my first thought was also of Jordan, there are many, many, many others that are as competitive if not more so than him. Jordan gets a lot of love because he was also a winner. I think that can possibly skew your idea of the greatest single competitor. It is hard to imagine obviously, but ask yourself if you would hold him in the same status had he never actually won, but still competed in the same way/passion/fire he did?

I'm only focusing on his Basketball world too, not the other stories that may or may not even be true and could be embellished (kind of like the 'flu' game was )
hollmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:01 PM   #29
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I vote Rudy from that movie.

I have no idea how close the real life story is.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:15 PM   #30
stevew
Hall Of Famer

MJ, with Kobe a close second.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 09:33 PM   #31
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Finally, I'll throw out the name Dick Hoyt (or perhaps it should be Team Hoyt). If you are not familiar with Dick Hoyt, he's completed over 1100 endurance events, including 72 marathons and 7 Ironman triathalons while pushing his son, who has cerebral palsy.

That's a great one. I'll modernize it a bit with both Scott Jurek and Dean Karnazes. Crazy ultramarathoners who do things like run the 2168 mile Appalachian Trail in 46 days (Jurek) and 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 consecutive days (Karnazes).

Last edited by CrescentMoonie : 03-23-2017 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #32
MrBug708
Head Coach

Kobe. I dont think his competitive nature was in the right place, but dude had a work ethic like nobody else in basketball.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 AM   #33
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
While my first thought was also of Jordan, there are many, many, many others that are as competitive if not more so than him. Jordan gets a lot of love because he was also a winner. I think that can possibly skew your idea of the greatest single competitor. It is hard to imagine obviously, but ask yourself if you would hold him in the same status had he never actually won, but still competed in the same way/passion/fire he did?

I'm only focusing on his Basketball world too, not the other stories that may or may not even be true and could be embellished (kind of like the 'flu' game was )

I don't have to ask myself. No, I would not hold him up as one of the biggest competitors of all time if there wasn't winning with it. We are talking about a trait that is incredibly hard to see. The way guys get separated in this is by doing something extraordinary. That means wins. I'm sure there is some draft prospect putting in 18 hour days and WANTS it more than anything in the world. That guy may have all the drive in the world and not make it. He may even be more competitive than Jordan and Kobe put together. He isn't going to be in this conversation because he doesn't have 6 titles. Sorry, life sucks.

It also sucks if you were a "nice" guy. You won't see Gretzky get mentioned here, you won't see Manning, you won't see Steph Curry (watch some video of how hard that guy had to work to solve his ankle issues), you won't see anyone say Pete Sampras. That isn't fair either because the guys above are all uber competitive or they would not have succeeded. The list will be populated with guys with an edge and a mean streak:

1 - Jordan - No question, no doubt #1 in my mind.

2 - Brady - I hate him with the passion of 10,000 suns, but he'll do anything (including cheat) to win. there is a reason he is still so damned good even when he's so damned old. That passion to win and drive to win is something that permeates that entire locker room.

3 - Kobe - I remember reading about him spending a summer at Nike headquarters working his ass off so they could make him a shoe that protected him but was an ounce lighter. The guy was insane.

4 - Butkis - Watch old videos of the guy. He was a raving lunatic.

5 - Isiah Thomas - I'll throw this out there. That guy was the glue of the Pistons team. He won big at Indiana.

Bonus homer pick: I've read stories where Elway lost a game of pool at his house and would sell the pool table and buy another one the following day because he couldn't take the stench of losing. He has become a solid NFL exec after his HOF playing career. The guy has serious fire.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:31 AM   #34
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
JE-sus, that's hardcore! And not in a good way. I know "times were different" and such, but that was only ~25 years ago and you'd think common medical sense would tell you waking a dude up from concussion and immediately sending him out onto a football field is some suspect shit, let alone doing it 3 times in the space of a couple hours. Props to dude's 'intestinal fortitude', I hope he can still spell his name.

I think with all the media scrutiny now it is incredibly easy to forget how "not a big deal" concussions were as recently as 15 or 20 years ago. I had four DIAGNOSED concussions by the time I was 16 (~mid nineties), and no one batted an eye at any of them. Three of them were somewhat severe as well - two involved (brief) loss of consciousness and one was a line drive that fractured my cheekbone right below the orbital.

(Queue the "oh, THAT'S why..." Comments )

People just didn't realize the potential long-term effects, and part of it is that those "effects" are hugely disparate from person to person and concussion to concussion. Personally, I have zero lasting effects from any of them - and I have experienced at least two or three additional non-diagnosed concussions since (golf ball to the dome and a serious car accident where the tire iron clocked me on the noggin come to mind).

Add in the prestige and honor given to "toughing it out," and it's not at all hard to see why the condition was not considered serious for a long time.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 07:50 AM   #35
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Ronnie Lott

VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #36
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I don't have to ask myself. No, I would not hold him up as one of the biggest competitors of all time if there wasn't winning with it.

I think you made my point. Winning skews opinions and it is absolutely fine and understandable that it does. But, I know for sure there are Joe Blow's out there that are as competitive if not more than Jordan that do not get the time of day and it is only because they are not in the spotlight or are a 'winner'. Yes, life does suck.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #37
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrescentMoonie View Post
That's a great one. I'll modernize it a bit with both Scott Jurek and Dean Karnazes. Crazy ultramarathoners who do things like run the 2168 mile Appalachian Trail in 46 days (Jurek) and 50 marathons in 50 states in 50 consecutive days (Karnazes).

And Jurek did crazy things like running ultramarathons with a broken ankle. Dude is crazy.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #38
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
5 - Isiah Thomas - I'll throw this out there. That guy was the glue of the Pistons team. He won big at Indiana.

Good one. Dude was competitive as fuck.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #39
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollmt View Post
I think you made my point. Winning skews opinions and it is absolutely fine and understandable that it does. But, I know for sure there are Joe Blow's out there that are as competitive if not more than Jordan that do not get the time of day and it is only because they are not in the spotlight or are a 'winner'. Yes, life does suck.

I agreed with your point. . . and I also told you why it doesn't hold up in any conversation like this.

Emily Dickenson published only about a dozen poems in her lifetime. She's considered one of the greatest poets who ever lived. What if the other 1,800 had never been published? Would any of us know her name? The worlds greatest poet might have been a hermit who burned 20,000 poems in a fireplace before they died.

While I agree with your point, I think you missed mine. I don't give a crap if Bob Johnson from Toledo, OH was a competitive guy at everything in his life, worked on his game for 22 hours a day and was a scrub on his junior college team. he's not getting in this debate and he doesn't belong in it.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #40
korme
Go Reds

It took TroyF and post #34 to list Brady. He's there.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 12:35 PM   #41
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

Mentioned him in post #9.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #42
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
I agreed with your point. . . and I also told you why it doesn't hold up in any conversation like this.

Emily Dickenson published only about a dozen poems in her lifetime. She's considered one of the greatest poets who ever lived. What if the other 1,800 had never been published? Would any of us know her name? The worlds greatest poet might have been a hermit who burned 20,000 poems in a fireplace before they died.

While I agree with your point, I think you missed mine. I don't give a crap if Bob Johnson from Toledo, OH was a competitive guy at everything in his life, worked on his game for 22 hours a day and was a scrub on his junior college team. he's not getting in this debate and he doesn't belong in it.

Nah, I know you got my point and yes, I got yours. Hence why I said in my first post that my first thought was also of Jordan. He is known. It helps that he is known and won, like it would help anyone else. That is why I agreed with my last statement that 'Yes, life does suck.' It is unfortunate that others dont get the recognition maybe because they don't participate in a mainstream sport or even have really 'won' anything.

I am not at all debating who is the most competitive, at all. Nobody is going to win that argument . I just wanted to throw a thought out there on 'what if' and how would we judge him or really anyone for that matter had he not done all he has. It is a warranted thought whether you agree with that or not, even in this discussion. Winning does skew your opinion on someone though and winning does not equal competitiveness, especially in a team sport.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #43
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post

It took a guy who hates Brady to list him? (I know he was mentioned before mine)

What is funny to me about these debates was something else I put in my post. Nice guys? You will simply NEVER hear their names come up in a discussion like this.

With modern legends in hockey, you will hear people talk about Messier and will rarely have Gretzky, Yzerman or Sakic mentioned at all.

Basketball has Jordan, Garnett, Thomas, and others. . . but you won't hear the name Tim Duncan or Dirk come up.

Serious question here: Is this because we feel that to be competitive you have to be a little unlikable too?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:53 PM   #44
hollmt
High School Varsity

Quote:
It took a guy who hates Brady to list him? (I know he was mentioned before mine)

What is funny to me about these debates was something else I put in my post. Nice guys? You will simply NEVER hear their names come up in a discussion like this.

With modern legends in hockey, you will hear people talk about Messier and will rarely have Gretzky, Yzerman or Sakic mentioned at all.

Basketball has Jordan, Garnett, Thomas, and others. . . but you won't hear the name Tim Duncan or Dirk come up.

Serious question here: Is this because we feel that to be competitive you have to be a little unlikable too?

Ha!
Yeah, I think so.
I think along with being thought of as competitive comes a little bit of arrogance, cockiness, trash talking, and general overall asshattery. The nice competitive guy is just a really good sportsman...
When you mentioned that niceness thing in your reply to me, it interested me as well, because WHY is that part of the equation also?

Last edited by hollmt : 03-24-2017 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:58 PM   #45
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Do guys like Pervis Ellison, Sam Bowie, and Marcus Dupree fit into the super competitive elite because of their effort to keep playing despite some pretty bad injuries?
Old 03-24-2017, 02:35 PM   #46
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Jordan, Tiger & Ali are the first names that I think of when talking about great competitors.

Brett Favre hasn't been mentioned yet and he would be on my top 10 list for sure. As would Brady who I despise as well.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #47
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Can we separate drive and competitiveness? I'd argue that if we do, that in turn is what creates the distinction between "nice" guys and many others listed in this thread.

I think the guys you mentioned are among the most driven. If we were to distinguish that from competitiveness, then I would look at competitiveness as a "by any means necessary" approach, with people to their own detriment sometimes even going too far (ie. their competitiveness clouds their judgement).

In turn though, that raises the question, if a person is the most competitive, are they necessarily the greatest competitor, as this thread asked? I think most people in this thread have been referencing the most competitive athletes. Sometimes that is synonymous with the greatest competitor, but perhaps not always. There is something to be said for sportsmanship, knowing when to hold back at the risk of not injuring yourself, and on and on.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #48
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

If it is based on competitive nature versus simply greatest athlete, Pete Rose is in there.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
If it is based on competitive nature versus simply greatest athlete, Pete Rose is in there.

Certainly in the discussion somewhere, good catch.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:05 PM   #50
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I think part of the 'catch' in this conversation is that competitiveness is used/seen as a positive thing culturally, particularly in sports, or when viewed from afar, but if someone in your daily/social/work life is remarkably competitive it's a pretty good indicator that they're an asshole, or at least difficult to deal with.