Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

NFL Week 9

A little early, but I was just looking at the schedule for this week.

While I might be slightly biased because the Lions are on a bye week, which lowers my interest, this week's games - the Sunday games in particular - look like one of the weakest slate of NFL games that I can remember in a long time.

Thursday
Cincinnati at Miami

Sunday
Kansas City at Buffalo
Minnesota at Dallas
Tennessee at St. Louis
New Orleans at NY Jets
San Diego at Washington
Atlanta at Carolina
Philadelphia at Oakland
Tampa Bay at Seattle
Baltimore at Cleveland
Pittsburgh at New England
Indianapolis at Houston

Monday
Chicago at Green Bay

Almost all of the match ups are either two bad/mediocre teams playing each other or a bad/mediocre team playing a good team.

The most compelling games are likely Cinci/Miami, though Miami has played pretty poorly the last few weeks, and Green Bay/Chicago, but Chicago is all banged up and will be starting Josh "Tears of" McCown.

This week looks to be largely a snoozefest.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
Logan
Head Coach

I think NO-NYJ could be interesting. The Jets are still in an alternating lose/win pattern, and that defensive front matched up against Brees could be fun to watch.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
britrock88
Pro Starter

I would wager that KC/Buffalo, Tennessee/St. Louis, SD/Washington, Atlanta/Carolina, and Baltimore/Houston produce at least 2 or 3 compelling games.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Like it isn't going to be tough enough to get free-agents to come to Tampa, especially if Schiano is still around...

Report: Davin Joseph had MRSA, too | ProFootballTalk
Old 10-30-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
...if Schiano is still around...

Come on.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Come on.

I grew up around Mike Brown and the "we don't pay people for not working" mindset, no matter how terrible they are. And if the Glazers are as shitty of owners as I've heard... I can see them bringing back Schiano for another year just to save some money.

I can see the free-agent pitch now, "we've got a dick for a head coach and MRSA too!"
Old 10-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Can't really blame the schedule makers, at least in the AFC. Pitt/New England and Indy/Houston both looked like great games before the season. Beyond that, I guess it's unlucky none of them meet up for a "marquee game", but right now, how many "good" teams do you even count, like 6-8 out of 26? Cincy/KC/NO/Seattle/Indy/GB, then maybe NE/Carolina?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
A little early, but I was just looking at the schedule for this week.

While I might be slightly biased because the Lions are on a bye week, which lowers my interest, this week's games - the Sunday games in particular - look like one of the weakest slate of NFL games that I can remember in a long time.

Thursday
Cincinnati at Miami

Sunday
Kansas City at Buffalo
Minnesota at Dallas
Tennessee at St. Louis
New Orleans at NY Jets
San Diego at Washington
Atlanta at Carolina
Philadelphia at Oakland
Tampa Bay at Seattle
Baltimore at Cleveland
Pittsburgh at New England
Indianapolis at Houston

Monday
Chicago at Green Bay

Almost all of the match ups are either two bad/mediocre teams playing each other or a bad/mediocre team playing a good team.

The most compelling games are likely Cinci/Miami, though Miami has played pretty poorly the last few weeks, and Green Bay/Chicago, but Chicago is all banged up and will be starting Josh "Tears of" McCown.

This week looks to be largely a snoozefest.

Denver isn't playing this week, but it looks like a pretty good slate to me. The Thursday night game is one of the better Thursday games in awhile. KC/Buffalo, SD/Washington, ATL/Carolina, and Pitt/NE look like decent contests to me.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Can't really blame the schedule makers, at least in the AFC. Pitt/New England and Indy/Houston both looked like great games before the season. Beyond that, I guess it's unlucky none of them meet up for a "marquee game", but right now, how many "good" teams do you even count, like 6-8 out of 26? Cincy/KC/NO/Seattle/Indy/GB, then maybe NE/Carolina?

I don't blame anyone. It's just a combination of some teams not being quite what people thought they were and other teams being decimated by injury.

I think Chicago could be considered a decent team, if they were healthier. As for good/decent as opposed to bad/mediocre, I would say: Dallas, Green Bay, Detroit, Chicago, New Orleans, Carolina, Seattle, San Fran, New England, Cincinnati, Indy. So, 11 out of 28. Some of those teams are definitely closer to "decent/mediocre" than others.

This week just seems more lacking than most.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 10-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
Denver isn't playing this week, but it looks like a pretty good slate to me. The Thursday night game is one of the better Thursday games in awhile. KC/Buffalo, SD/Washington, ATL/Carolina, and Pitt/NE look like decent contests to me.

That Thursday night bar is quite, quite low.

Buffalo may be starting Jeff Teul or Matt Flynn at QB.

SD/Washington could be decent.

Atlanta seems like a team that's just a "dead man walking" right now.

From what I've seen from Pittsburgh, they've seem very dull.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #11
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I do like your fellas' "glass half full" spirit!

The optimism is encouraging.

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 10-30-2013 at 04:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:34 PM   #12
BillJasper
Pro Starter

That 3-0 start is starting to feel like it was a million years ago.

Report: Jonathan Martin “gone AWOL” from Dolphins | ProFootballTalk