Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
aran
High School Varsity

RUSE - An RTS that doesn't care about your APM.

Tired of twitch-addled children beating you at realtime strategy games because they can click faster than you? Play RUSE. It's in free open beta on steam (and steam only, unfortunately) for the next week or so.

Set in WW2, the game is all macro. Very little micromanagement of units is necessary. It's all about strategy--and the game is well-balanced as far as i can see from the 20 or so games i've played and the many replays i've watched.

The twist is that once per minute you get to play a new "ruse", which is a special ability that effects an area of the map for a few minutes. You can hide your units (from all but recon units) in a sector, view the enemy's units in a sector, construct decoy base buildings, launch decoy assaults, and more. The mechanic adds a lot of strategic depth.

The game's mechanics are not complicated--just remember to scout often and build counters to your enemies units as soon as possible.

aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think that ended up being what tapped out the RTS genre. You eventually just couldn't even come close to beating said "twitch-addled children {who can click fast}". It wasn't just that but it was that the whole thrust of any game, either single or multi-player was how fast you could multi-task rather than your ability to actually come up with a good strategy and implement. Then again, one could argue that the ability to change plans on a dime and implement a new strategy is the sign of a good strategist.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote