Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2009, 07:02 PM   #51
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hopefully Matt Capps gets traded. I wouldn't mind seeing Ankiel get signed to play right field either. I would assume we trade a catcher as well.

The 2010 pirates will invariably suck. But hopefully will get closer to .500.

No return of Jack Wilson either plz k thx.

With how often Wilson came up in rumors related to the Tigers I would be shocked if they didn't make him an offer.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #52
DanGarion
Coordinator

HAHA didn't see this one coming...

Lincecum cited for marijuana possession - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Quote:
Lincecum cited for marijuana possession

1 hour, 2 minutes ago
SEATTLE (AP)—San Francisco Giants star pitcher Tim Lincecum(notes) is facing misdemeanor marijuana charges following a traffic stop in his home state.

Washington State Patrol spokesman Steve Schatzel said Thursday that the 2008 Cy Young Award winner and former star at the University of Washington was pulled over for speeding on Interstate 5 about four miles north of the Oregon border on Oct. 30.

An officer approached Lincecum’s 2006 Mercedes and smelled marijuana. Schatzel says Lincecum immediately complied with a request to hand over the drug and a marijuana pipe.

The amount measured was 3.3 grams. Schatzel says police consider that a small amount for personal use.

Lincecum was fined a total of $622 for driving at 74 mph in a 60-mph zone, and for possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #53
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Bradley for Rowand, straight up.

One of the few trades where the OTHER team would have to eat money.

I'll be amazed if the Cubs can dump Bradley without eating a decent chunk of cash.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 PM   #54
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
So who wants JJ Hardy and what kind of pitching could he net? (value is obviously down)
We'll give you Carlos Silva for him.

In all seriousness, I would expect the M's to sniff around Hardy and see if they can work a deal there. His trade value is low right now after a down season, but he's still under club control for 2 more years and still provides value via his glovework. He's close to Jake Wilson as a defender and has more upside as a hitter while being a lot less expensive.

Dave Cameron seems to think Hardy could net Brandon Morrow. We'll see - as an M's fan I would selfishly hope that Morrow holds more value than that, but Cameron is smarter about these things than I am.

Hardy | U.S.S. Mariner
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #55
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Dola - the M's claimed Yusmeiro Petit from the D-Backs. He's still likely a AAAA type player, but it's nice to have cheap starting pitcher options. Petit is a good example of the concept of freely available replacement level talent.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #56
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
One of the few trades where the OTHER team would have to eat money.

I'll be amazed if the Cubs can dump Bradley without eating a decent chunk of cash.

This "rumor" has been getting a lot of play on the Giants' message boards and such lately. People are absolutely in love with Bradley's OBP - which isn't surprising, since Pablo Sandoval led the Giants in walks last season.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #57
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
We'll give you Carlos Silva for him.

In all seriousness, I would expect the M's to sniff around Hardy and see if they can work a deal there. His trade value is low right now after a down season, but he's still under club control for 2 more years and still provides value via his glovework. He's close to Jake Wilson as a defender and has more upside as a hitter while being a lot less expensive.

Dave Cameron seems to think Hardy could net Brandon Morrow. We'll see - as an M's fan I would selfishly hope that Morrow holds more value than that, but Cameron is smarter about these things than I am.

Hardy | U.S.S. Mariner

Obviously, I'd much prefer Morrow for Hardy straight up, but if Jack Z does want more he does have the advantage of knowing the Brewers' system quite well.

Not sure if they'd match up on a larger deal or not, but of any speculation by writers I've seen so far, Hardy to the Mariners for Morrow is definitely my favorite. No idea how the details would match up as each player has his lumps.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:10 AM   #58
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Oops, sorry, Romagoth, I was avoiding this thread until the World Series was over.

I describe Lackey as a high #2. He can be considered a #1, as he has been here in Anaheim, but I have never felt he really had the pitch to pitch dominance to be a true #1 a la a Sabathia, Greinke, Lincecum, etc. Also, he gets too emotional, and not in the "channel your anger into dominance" sorta way, but more the "blind rage I can't throw a bleeping strike to Jeter" sorta way.

I have never actually heard how Lackey describes himself, although he is generally self-effacing to the media (when he isn't riled up) and wouldn't say he's a #1, no matter what he actually thought. He's a "just one of the guys" sorta guy.

He has stated he is looking for a Burnett style contract, and I actually don't expect a hometown discount. He'll go to the highest bidder, is my guess.

He is actually not a coast guy (either coast), period. He's all Texas. Always made a big deal about idolizing Nolan Ryan. If anyone gets a discount, it will be the Rangers, but they'll still have to be in the ballpark of the other offers. If all offers are close and there is no Ranger offer of note, I think Lackey will go back to the Angels. But my guess is that the Angels will set a ceiling, and it will be a good few million short of what Boston or the Mets might be inclined to give him.

My prediction is, in April, Lackey will be an overpaid starter for one of the bigger money clubs (Top 5-7), but most fans of those clubs won't mind, because he won't be #1 and he will produce.

I thought I heard that he hates New York and wants nothing to do with the east coast. Either way, there are far worse options out there than Lackey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #59
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Apparently Hardy just got dealt to Minnesota for Carlos Gomez. Shit, I thought he was meant to be a Mariner in a Morrow deal; I didn't realize his value was that low.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #60
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
This "rumor" has been getting a lot of play on the Giants' message boards and such lately. People are absolutely in love with Bradley's OBP - which isn't surprising, since Pablo Sandoval led the Giants in walks last season.

Dude, Rowand is a gritty hustling telegenic white guy who's a "GAMER"; if we could make that deal, I'd be dancing on the walls. I don't want to see the pooping AB ever again (Kalifornia knows what I mean; McCovey meme) while he flails away at a slider in the dirt, and I think Nate could play a reasonable CF.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:19 AM   #61
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Royals are saying that Teahan trade rumor to White Sox is not anywhere close to a done deal.........

Reports of Teahen trade appear to be premature - KansasCity.com
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #62
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

That's funny. MLBTradeRumors just tweeted that the deal is official.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #63
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
I thought I heard that he hates New York and wants nothing to do with the east coast. Either way, there are far worse options out there than Lackey.

Interesting. While that may be the case, I have never heard him talk about that. I have heard him (or heard it intimated about him) that he's looking to get paid this offseason. And, really, if that's true, can't really rule out the East Coast. Or if there's any truth to that, he's not going about it smartly.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #64
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

No surprising but Ruben Amaro told Brett Myers that he will not be resigned.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:01 PM   #65
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Apparently Hardy just got dealt to Minnesota for Carlos Gomez. Shit, I thought he was meant to be a Mariner in a Morrow deal; I didn't realize his value was that low.

Wow. Gomez has over 1000 ABs with only a .638 OPS and no year at or over .300 OBP. That's like trading Willy Tavarez for Hardy.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #66
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Yeah. But Gomez plus other scrubs=Santana!
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #67
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Any other Yankee fans on here that are wondering what we will be doing with our pitching rotation next year?

#1 ~ Sabathia
#2 ~ Burnett
#3 ~ ?
#4 ~ ?
#5 ~ Gaudin?

For the love of all that his holy please oh please do not put Joba in the starting rotation again. We have already ridden that train and it derailed almost immediately.

Maybe Petite comes back for another season, but I am not sure if he has enough left in the tank for it or not. Either way, we need 2-3 starters for this pitching staff, and I don't know where they will come from...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #68
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Jocketty say s the Reds had interest in Hardy, but wouldn't trade in the division. Given that both of them need improvement to compete with the Cards, I really don't understand the fascination with that chestnut.

edit: Should be Milwaukee wouldn't trade in the division.

Last edited by JPhillips : 11-06-2009 at 02:48 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:46 PM   #69
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Jocketty say s the Reds had interest in Hardy, but wouldn't trade in the division. Given that both of them need improvement to compete with the Cards, I really don't understand the fascination with that chestnut.

I've never understood that mindset either. If you have faith in your organization and really feel you're making your team better, what the hell is the problem?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #70
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Either way, we need 2-3 starters for this pitching staff, and I don't know where they will come from...

I've got a guess.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #71
mckerney
Coordinator

Woohoo, someone was willing to take Carlos Gomez!
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #72
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

For the love of all that his holy please oh please do not put Joba in the starting rotation again. We have already ridden that train and it derailed almost immediately.

Was that before or after he posted a 3.50 era through his first 100 innings, or afterwards when they fucked around with his pitch count and he had a 8 ERA from August onward?

He'll be fine.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #73
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Tim Hudson is expected to sign a three-year deal at around $9m per season.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #74
lungs
Pro Rookie

I'm not thrilled with the return for JJ Hardy, but I guess I have to be realistic. How much can you possibly get for a guy that was demoted to AAA this year?

I'll just cross my fingers that Gomez can learn how to hit a little bit and the money saved by trading Hardy and not re-signing Mike Cameron can yield some halfway decent pitching.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:53 PM   #75
RedKingGold
College Starter

In a most surprising move of this young off-season, the Phillies picked up Cliff Lee's option. Shocker.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:54 PM   #76
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
No surprising but Ruben Amaro told Brett Myers that he will not be resigned.

Bill Giles told my Sports Law class that there were no plans to re-sign Myers this past March (before the hip injury). I'd been sitting on the news til then.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 11-06-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 PM   #77
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I've got a guess.

AAA?
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #78
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Dude, Rowand is a gritty hustling telegenic white guy who's a "GAMER"; if we could make that deal, I'd be dancing on the walls. I don't want to see the pooping AB ever again (Kalifornia knows what I mean; McCovey meme) while he flails away at a slider in the dirt, and I think Nate could play a reasonable CF.

I've been following McCovey Chronicles since it was Waiting for Boof. I've tried registering there three times and my PC craps out each time, and now all my normal handles are off limits because apparently the registration worked, but it really didn't. I gave up trying and I just read. It's one of my favorite websites on the entire internet.

Edit: I would also be absolutely overjoyed to make that trade. Then again, I'd be overjoyed to just simply not have Rowand on the roster any more.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-06-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:07 PM   #79
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Teahan deal to White Sox was completed...........

Royals trade Teahen for pair of infielders | royals.com: News
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #80
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Teahan deal to White Sox was completed...........

Royals trade Teahen for pair of infielders | royals.com: News

Well, neither team got any better. The Royals got two guys that will fight to make the 25 man roster and the White Sox got a guy that should be a bench player on team with serious playoff hopes and that they'll have to pay up to $5 million for next season.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:18 PM   #81
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

is there anything good about Teahan? seems like the sox got fucked in this deal. Getz seems to be Teahan's = and then you get a guy who can hit 20 hr a year in Fields. lame

Last edited by k0ruptr : 11-07-2009 at 03:23 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #82
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ruptr View Post
is there anything good about Teahan? seems like the sox got fucked in this deal. Getz seems to be Teahan's = and then you get a guy who can hit 20 hr a year in Fields. lame

Well, Feilds can hit the least productive 20 homers in baseball. Getz seems to have some value defensively, but can't hit at all. Teahen doesn't seem to do anything other than strike out especially well.

Bad trade for both teams.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #83
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Can someone who is good with stats tell me if Jeter, again, was the correct choice to get the Gold Glove at SS? Was he really the best fielding SS in the AL? Or does this award continue to be a joke?

Hey, if he deserves it, fine. Just don't have the statistical expertise to tell myself.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 PM   #84
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Can someone who is good with stats tell me if Jeter, again, was the correct choice to get the Gold Glove at SS? Was he really the best fielding SS in the AL? Or does this award continue to be a joke?

Hey, if he deserves it, fine. Just don't have the statistical expertise to tell myself.

Do you really need stats to tell you Jeter has no business winning a gold glove?
Old 11-10-2009, 09:17 PM   #85
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Do you really need stats to tell you Jeter has no business winning a gold glove?

Heh...no, not normally really, but I wanted to be careful and see if I missed something where he might had a strong year defensively for him in what might have been a weak year for SSs overall in the league.

That said, off of the top of my head, I have to think Andrus in Texas and Aybar in LA were better, and that's just in the AL West.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #86
Atocep
Coordinator

Dola

It should have gone to Elvis Andrus. He was probably the best defensive SS in baseball this year.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #87
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Dola

It should have gone to Elvis Andrus. He was probably the best defensive SS in baseball this year.

Ha! Ruined your dola.

On visual basis, I agree. Andrus was fantastic. I don't have the stats in front of me to back it up, just from what I saw the limited times I saw him.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #88
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

UZR puts AL SS in the following order among qualifiers:

1. Cesar Izturis (BAL)
2. Elvis Andrus (TEX)
3. Adam Everett (DET)
4. Erick Aybar (LAA)
5. Derek Jeter (NYY)
Old 11-10-2009, 09:23 PM   #89
Atocep
Coordinator

UZR has Andrus easily #1 and Aybar #2 in the AL. It gave Jeter the first positive score of his career, and since none of the other metrics I've seen really changed I'd consider it an outlier.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #90
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
UZR puts AL SS in the following order among qualifiers:

1. Cesar Izturis (BAL)
2. Elvis Andrus (TEX)
3. Adam Everett (DET)
4. Erick Aybar (LAA)
5. Derek Jeter (NYY)

Weird. I didn't get all the qualifiers in my first search. Ignore my previous post. This is correct.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 PM   #91
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

There's no good reason to put much stock into the Gold Glove awards. For a good example of why, read this blog post by Seattle Times baseball writer Larry Stone:

Larry Stone on Gold Glove voting

For another, any fielding award that doesn't honor Franklin Gutierrez after his phenomenal year in CF this year is one that is flawed.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:13 PM   #92
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Do they actually go RF/CF/LF with the awards? Doesn't look like it anyways.

Hoping Mccutchen gets love tomorrow but I'm sure he will have to wait a year. Also Tony Plush better win.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 PM   #93
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Do they actually go RF/CF/LF with the awards? Doesn't look like it anyways.
Nope. Often there are multiple CF selected. They don't differentiate though - it's just OF.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:40 PM   #94
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Ha! Ruined your dola.

On visual basis, I agree. Andrus was fantastic. I don't have the stats in front of me to back it up, just from what I saw the limited times I saw him.
Just wait until Jose Iglesias (the 19yo $6m bonus Cuban the Soc signed) and his quick release make the majors. (Yes, yes, I know, stop hyping the prospects after seeing 4 plays on youtube. But it's the offseason, and you have to admit those are some quick hands.)

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #95
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I wonder who is going to sign Chapman. Obviously it's going to be a big market team.
Old 11-11-2009, 04:23 AM   #96
RedKingGold
College Starter

Neglected to mention that the Phillies declined the 5.5 million option for 3B Pedro Feliz. It appears that there are several quality third basemen on the market, and Philadelphia thinks it can get a player with a better bat without sacrificing too much on defense.

I hope that the Phillies can get Adrian Beltre (albeit at a reasonable price). Seems like he's young enough and has solid right handed power for a corner infielder. A lot in the media seem to like Mark DeRosa for the Phils, but I'm not sold management is really into him. Had they wanted DeRosa in previous years, I think they could have gotten him with some effort.

Still, it's a risky move, probably riskier than going from Burrell to Ibanez last off-season.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #97
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

How does Jeter still win Gold Gloves? The guy is sad defensively, he has zero range.

That whole award is a total joke IMHO. It's completely based on reputation and non-fielding factors

oh. i see people already railed against that yesterday. haha

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 11-11-2009 at 08:29 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #98
DanGarion
Coordinator

Awesome Twins commercial for the new stadium!

DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:17 PM   #99
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
How does Jeter still win Gold Gloves? The guy is sad defensively, he has zero range.

That whole award is a total joke IMHO. It's completely based on reputation and non-fielding factors

oh. i see people already railed against that yesterday. haha
Yeah, complaining about Jeter winning is so 2003. Now all the cool kids are decrying Franklin Gutierrez's (and presumably Nyjer Morgan's) snub.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #100
Galaxy
Coordinator

Could the Red Sox be opening the wallet as well this off-season?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote