Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-26-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
PilotMan
Head Coach

I never dreamed it would be like this

Many of you know that I am the happy father of three wonderful boys. Mrs PM and I had always talked of having a 4th, but we were waiting for the timing to be right. A few years went by and we kept talking about it, but we were getting older too.

January of last year we decided to try again. Our youngest was 5 and we both decided that now was the time, or never. We were older, wiser, and very experienced parents. Things were supposed to be easy, laid back, and we were going to enjoy raising a new baby.

We have never had any trouble getting pregnant, but we have had a couple of miscarriages, but they were very early on. Typically, if we got to the initial appointment we were good.

That wasn't the case last year. The first appointment was abnormal. We ended up at hospital, but they wanted up back in a week. A week of wondering and pain. Next appointment, same, come back in a week. We still don't know. Another week, and finally we got the news that we had been dreading. It wasn't going to be viable. That was July, last year.

It was terrible, brutal, sad, terribly, terribly sad. We were in a funk for a long time. It took months for her body to start cycling again, but we decided to try, just one more time. The chances of it happening again were seriously small.

It took until January of this year for her to get pregnant again. We didn't tell anyone. Not even family members. Not even out kids. We wanted to avoid all of the pain of telling everyone, then having to explain what happened to everyone. It was like opening a fresh wound. We decided to wait extra long before our first appointment. All the signs were there. Everything was going great.

Today was our first appointment. My wife was to be 10 weeks and 5 days today. We were nervous, scared, excited. Thrilled that today had finally come, and ready to celebrate tonight. No. That was not the case. Back to the hospital for another ultrasound, a better look. But we already knew. Tears flowed, a deep hurt welled up, and the fresh pain of realizing what was happening overtook us.

We are done. This is hell. The surgery is scheduled for Monday. It's going to be a long road from here. Thank God, that we have 3 wonderful, beautiful boys to love and hold. But there is always going to be that sadness of the last time we tried.

Sorry for the long post, I just needed a bit of support friends. And please, if you facebook me, do it privately. I would like to keep this off my public page.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Man...sorry to hear that PM. I had that happen to an old coworker...it's like hell.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Very sorry to hear that PM. My wife and I have also had a few miscarriages.. it is very difficult.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

you got me crying here with you man, I feel your pain. There are too many kids coming to this world to parents who don't want them or are not prepared to welcome them that it always pains me to see people like you go through what you are going through.

As you said, you already have 3 beautiful children. Cherish them, love them.

I will keep you and your wife in my thoughts. Hang in there my friend.

FM
Old 03-26-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
miami_fan
Coordinator

I am so sorry to hear this news PM. I know that pain all too well.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
finkenst
College Benchwarmer

PM,

My heart feels for you and wife... As a newly married man, i can't imagine what this feels like for you. You'll be in my prayers this weekend.

--tim
Originally Posted by mijb#19
Switzerland is independant and will try to do so until the apacolypse is upon us.
finkenst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Sorry Pilot

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #8
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry to hear that, PM.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #9
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I am so so so sorry to hear that PM. As someone who has been through a miscarriage, I semi understand, its not fair and its rough. take it easy alright? Aloha.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #10
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Really sorry to hear. My wife and I spent 4 hours in the hospital today because of complications with our unborn child and it was hell. I can't begin to fathom what you must be going through. Thought are with you and the Mrs.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #11
wade moore
lolzcat

I can't imagine what this must be like - my thoughts are with you and your wife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Flasch186
Coordinator

Sorry man, we too had a miscarriage early on so we empathize with you and will say a prayer for you.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:48 PM   #13
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

PM, my heart goes out to you as do the prayers of my family.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #14
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Very sorry for your loss, I wish I had something to say that would help but I don't believe any words I can find are remotely sufficient.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:02 PM   #15
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I have no idea what to say to something like this but just wanted to try to add to the well wishes and sympathy from others

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
Kodos
Resident Alien

I'll echo the others. Very sad for you, and I wish there was something I could say that might help. Hopefully you can find comfort in your boys.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:21 PM   #17
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Really sorry to hear that, PilotMan. You and your wife are definitely in my thoughts.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:30 PM   #18
Swaggs
Coordinator

Very sorry for the pain you guys must be feeling right now. We tried for our first last year, had a smooth pregnancy, and then 10-weeks from his due date, went in and were told that he needed to be delivered within 48 hours or my wife's life was in immediate danger (she developed HELLP Syndrome). My wife felt fine, but her liver enzymes and blood pressure had suddenly reached a very, very dangerous level. Wife and child are doing well now (he will turn 7-months old on Monday, but is more at a 4.5 - 5-month level and spent the first 38-days of his life in the hospital).

We had always wanted to have more than one and will probably eventually try, but right now it is really scary to think about. With all the good fortune we have had since, it feels kind of greedy to think about trying again and that we should be happy with what we have, so it is a tough call to keep trying.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 10:52 PM   #19
PilotMan
Head Coach

Thanks everyone. Thank you for your kind words and concern. I am worried about my wife. The last one was so hard, but she looked at me today with a look that I haven't seen in our nearly 10 years of marriage. An innocent look, a look of total devastation. The way a child looks at you when they realize something is gone forever. I need to be strong. Thanks for giving me an outlet.

Like Steam?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:38 PM   #20
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Come and share what you need to. An outlet is realistically all this place and those of us here can be for you.

My wife and I were there once, and while I found it good to know that many others had shared the experience. That knowledge doesn't dull the pain nor the hurt you feel for your wife and her disappointment.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:51 PM   #21
Dodgerchick
College Benchwarmer

Awww, man. My eyes got all watery... so sorry PM You and your lovely wife are in my thoughts.
Dodgerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:11 AM   #22
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

sorry for your loss, PM
Old 03-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #23
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Very sorry for your loss, I wish I had something to say that would help but I don't believe any words I can find are remotely sufficient.

+1.

My condolences, PM.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:37 AM   #24
BYU 14
Coordinator

Very sorry for your loss PM, I can not even imagine the pain you and your wife are feeling. You are both in my thoughts.....And give those three wonderful children of yours an extra big hug..
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:50 AM   #25
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Sorry to hear that, PM. Very sorry. All the best to you and the wife.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #26
MacroGuru
Coordinator

PM,

Wow....what can I say that hasn't been said before. You have been the shoulder for me to lean on lately. It's my turn now, feel free to lean on my shoulder.

I truly feel for your loss and what you both are going through. If you just need to talk, you know I am here for that.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:15 AM   #27
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Really sorry to hear that... hang in there.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:39 AM   #28
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Stay strong, be there for your PilotWoman.
Good luck, if you can speak of that, with the surgery.

After that, I'd like to echo what FrogMan posted, cherish and love the three boys you two brought into the world. It won't take the pain away, but they're also three more loved ones who feel with you and can support you two.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #29
Logan
Head Coach

Also adding on to everyone's support here.

And to Lathum and Swaggs...nothing but the best wishes for you guys and your families in your current situations.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:31 AM   #30
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I'm sorry for you and your wife.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 AM   #31
JeeberD
General Manager

I'm so sorry, PM...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:54 AM   #32
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Terrible PM.. I'm sorry.

Last edited by MizzouRah : 03-27-2010 at 07:54 AM.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #33
Icy
Pro Starter

I'm so sorry PM, sadly i know exactly what you are going through. Keep strong and support your wife, she really needs you now.

Also enjoy the kids you have, i know we always think about what our dreams could have been, and how bad luck we have had, but there is always somebody in a worse situation than you, and while it's doesn't ease your pain, at least helps to be grateful about what you have already and others can only dream about.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #34
azjoe_02
High School JV

Very sorry to hear this PM. Prayers will be put up for you and your wife.
azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:06 PM   #35
BigDPW
College Prospect

Sorry to hear. I will say a prayer for your family.
BigDPW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #36
JediKooter
Coordinator

I'm very sorry to about hear this Pilot. Stay strong man.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:15 AM   #37
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rough situation. Sorry to hear.

Wife's sister is going through a rough time as well. Couple of miscarriages and she's 37 years old. Unfortunately, she doesn't have any kids yet.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #38
SnowMan
High School Varsity

Hits pretty close to home, here, too. Horribly story, hold on to the blessings you have.
SnowMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:04 PM   #39
cougarfreak
College Starter

Stay strong, you are in my prayers.
cougarfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 PM   #40
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am exhausted. Today has been a roller coaster of emotion and raw energy. I came completely unglued this morning before I had even gotten out of bed. I was so angry that I was screaming (at nobody in particular), hyperventilating, crying, kicking out, slamming my hands on the floor. It took a while to calm down, and thankfully the kids didn't find me to see what was going on.

Then over breakfast, we had to have a talk with my 15yr old, who threw the cat at his youngest brother, causing a 4 inch scratch from his nose across his forehead. Impulse control is his issue, and we always seem to have this talk. But he was blowing it off like it wasn't an issue, and I ended up giving him the dressing down of his life. My little boys ran and hid under the covers of my bed, and I used some words that I have never spoken to my kids. ever. Not my proudest moment.

We went to church today, but we probably shouldn't have. We are both still so angry, and although I wanted it to be better, the emotion swings continued. I ended up leaving the service and found myself outside crying.

I have yelled more today than ever before I think. I yelled at the kids because my 8-yr old cleaned up the bathroom, but put wet towels under the sink with clean ones instead of hanging them up. Because I found clean clothes stacked up with dirty clothes to be washed. Typically I wouldn't lose it for such minor things.

We head to the hospital tomorrow morning for her surgery. I am scared. The last one was alright, but I was still scared. We can't heal til it's over, but I really would rather just go back to before we knew all of this. I can't walk by the baby section, I can't think about the maybe's, the what might have been.

The good moments come here and there, and I know that time heals all pain, but I know tomorrow is barreling down on me like a freight train. And it's not going to feel any better than today did.

Like Steam?

Old 03-28-2010, 08:28 PM   #41
hoopsguy
General Manager

Very sorry to hear this, PilotMan. I can tell you it does get a little easier with time, but I'm not sure that is much consolation in the moment.

My wife still despises Babies 'R Us, and that is after we were able to adopt a beautiful baby girl. I still react far more strongly to news stories about parental neglect than any other five topics combined.

Does your oldest boy understand what is going on with you and your wife?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #42
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

(To be fair, who doesn't despise Babies 'R Us? )

SI

Old 03-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #43
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Does your oldest boy understand what is going on with you and your wife?

No, our kids took the ordeal last year really hard. We didn't tell them that we were even expecting, just in case this happened. He knows something is going on, but I don't think he knows what. I apologized a lot today. To my oldest, and both my youngest kids.

Like Steam?

Old 03-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #44
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Awwwwwwwww very sorry. *hugs* hope things get better. LEt it out completely. no shame in that.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:34 PM   #45
PilotMan
Head Coach

Mrs. PM is out of the hospital and resting in bed. I am glad that part if finally over. Now perhaps, we can truly begin to heal. I am just grateful that the surgery is over, and there were no complications. Thanks again, for listening and giving me support.

Like Steam?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:01 PM   #46
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Excellent news

SI

Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

sorry to hear about your struggles and wish you the best in the future.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:21 AM   #48
chesapeake
College Starter

I am very sorry to see this, PM, but I am glad that the surgery went well. Hug the ones you have extra hard.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote