Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-04-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
AgustusM
College Prospect

Second and Ten

FOF and OOTP long ago ruined my interest in replay only sims and I now can't really be fully immersed without a full career mode.

I also tried the game years ago and was not that impressed.

However two things have me playing.

1. new version of FOF in the works but not yet released - I always find it hard to be that interested in any game career when I know a new game is on the horizon. I cant wait for the new release. I will sufficiently ignore my job and family when it comes out. But I just cant get into a current game right now.

2. I hate with all of my sports heart my team the San Francisco 49ers. The current ownership has absolutely crushed my spirit of a team I have rooted for, for forty years. I hate this team and everything that is going on around it, it isn't just the losing. It is all of it. I barely watch.

So that has led me to a great deal of NFL nostalgia. Not even 80s winning all the time nostalgia. Actually back to 70s and the fun of the whole league in my formative years. So I tried SAT again and I am having a blast. I started in 1970 and made some trades just for fun and am having a great time. My overall record is probably only around .500 - but the game is easy and fast and you can knock out a whole season in a day or two. I am already up to 1976. I have you tube playing random old school NFL stuff and am enjoying it all immensely.

SAT has a great policy of a fully functional demo for 3 days (I ended up buying the full version the first day.) I also like the PC Action game but that game requires you to purchase all old seasons. SAT comes with every historical season for the one purchase price. Also has old college seasons which I haven't tried yet, but plan on trying soon.

If you never tried it or tried it awhile back - I highly recommend giving it another look. Some of the UI is a little unintuitive. But the help file is good and after a little trial and error I picked most of it up.

Second and Ten Version X

also some great mods here that really help with immersion - highly recommended.

http://satmods.net/

AgustusM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
CraigSca
Pro Starter

It's funny. I grew up loving games like this (I have it, in fact), but as I've grown older my tastes have changed.

One, I no longer want to be boxed in by replays, I want to create my own universe. What do I mean by "boxed in"? Things like, being able to throw to a single receiver only a certain amount of times before the game adjusts and makes it less and less efficient to do so. The same thing with baseball - overusage factors built in to games mean that I really can't play like I want to. I realize this is a need because otherwise players will abuse the system (playing a guy who went 3 for 10 and hit 2 homeruns would be a starter).

Second, the fact that a replay is inherently a snapshot of a season, but not necessarily the real talent value of the players involved. 1961 Maris. Everyone gets upset if he hits 70 homeruns in a replay. However, looking at Maris, he probably had 45-50 HR talent but excelled that year due to random variation. I want his talent replicated in a replay, NOT his snapshot.

This is why I play games like OOTP, FOF and FBCB.
how do you know?

Last edited by CraigSca : 12-04-2015 at 03:37 PM.
CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
AgustusM
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigSca View Post
It's funny. I grew up loving games like this (I have it, in fact), but as I've grown older my tastes have changed.

One, I no longer want to be boxed in by replays, I want to create my own universe. What do I mean by "boxed in"? Things like, being able to throw to a single receiver only a certain amount of times before the game adjusts and makes it less and less efficient to do so. The same thing with baseball - overusage factors built in to games mean that I really can't play like I want to. I realize this is a need because otherwise players will abuse the system (playing a guy who went 3 for 10 and hit 2 homeruns would be a starter).

Second, the fact that a replay is inherently a snapshot of a season, but not necessarily the real talent value of the players involved. 1961 Maris. Everyone gets upset if he hits 70 homeruns in a replay. However, looking at Maris, he probably had 45-50 HR talent but excelled that year due to random variation. I want his talent replicated in a replay, NOT his snapshot.

This is why I play games like OOTP, FOF and FBCB.

no doubt - I grew up playing Strat O Matic and APBA and I couldn't agree more with your analysis - I will always return more to the FOF, OOTP style games for these reasons.

actually one of the reasons I was so surprised to be so immersed in SAT.

also I completely get your point on the performance of guys. when I was young I loved over playing the guys like Broderick Perkins card that hit .390 in 65 abs. now that idea kills me.
Old 12-04-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgustusM View Post
no doubt - I grew up playing Strat O Matic and APBA and I couldn't agree more with your analysis - I will always return more to the FOF, OOTP style games for these reasons.

actually one of the reasons I was so surprised to be so immersed in SAT.

also I completely get your point on the performance of guys. when I was young I loved over playing the guys like Broderick Perkins card that hit .390 in 65 abs. now that idea kills me.

I had a fair bit of fun with (what I assume is a much earlier version of) SAT for computer.

Had a great time playing as those horrible Tampa Bay Bucs teams.
(no, I'm not kidding)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-04-2015 at 05:51 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 08:04 PM   #5
ColtCrazy
College Starter

This is good to hear, as I've been intrigued by SAT for a long time, but didn't pull the trigger because of the lack of career mode.

I like playing simulation board games for the what-if factor. Like CraigSca said, I may avoid playing the RB that had 3 carries with a 8 yard average, but I'll bend fatigue rules some. They are based on averages, and I see no reason why a 6 catch average guy gets tired after 6 catches. I also tend to make house rules to add in dice variants instead of letting FACs decide plays so you get some outliners every once in awhile. I have even made event chits to allow for variations in stats in basketball games. Still, as much as I love board games, you can't realistically do a career with trades, drafts, etc. I'll have to give this a second look.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Is it for Windows only? Looked at the website, but didn't see anything about it.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:41 AM   #7
AgustusM
College Prospect

not sure if will run on anything other the windows, my guess is probably not

also worth noting you can turn off the penalty for giving more carries\catches to skill guys
Old 12-05-2015, 04:58 AM   #8
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding
College Starter

It runs perfectly under Parallels.

I actually stopped playing the game due to the penalty for giving guys too many catches/carries. I didn't realize you could turn it off! Back to the game!

I downloaded all the pictures and logos for it and created a league of the best teams of all time. It was a lot of fun. I think I will give it another shot now
LastWhiteSoxFanStanding is offline   Reply With Quote