Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-07-2015, 09:02 PM   #1
Grover
Pro Starter

Missouri Football Players Go On Strike To Force Removal Of School President [UPDATE]

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner

Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:28 PM   #2
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The door is over there gentlemen (and ladies, presumably). You don't want to play & live up to your free ride then you probably ought to be able to find on the same highway you rode in on & head back out the same way.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:48 PM   #3
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The door is over there gentlemen (and ladies, presumably). You don't want to play & live up to your free ride then you probably ought to be able to find on the same highway you rode in on & head back out the same way.

Your approach might cause some problems with future recruiting. Thas been going on around campus for a while now so I find the protest during a 4-5 season a little disingenuous. Ever since the Ferguson fiasco the campus has been brewing with a lot of pissed off people on both sides.

Last edited by panerd : 11-07-2015 at 09:51 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:51 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Your approach might cause some problems with future recruiting. Thas been going on around campus for a while now so I find the protest during a 4-5 season a little disingenuous. Ever since the Ferguson fiasco this campus has been brewing with a lot of pissed off people on both sides.

Anybody having a hissy over the Ferguson situation is someone any community - university or otherwise - would be better off without.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:06 PM   #5
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Your approach might cause some problems with future recruiting. Thas been going on around campus for a while now so I find the protest during a 4-5 season a little disingenuous. Ever since the Ferguson fiasco the campus has been brewing with a lot of pissed off people on both sides.

I read the MSM story about this, and it talks about a slow response to swastika-drawing this week. Are African-American students now showing solidarity with Jewish students? If so, that's interesting. It was largely Jewish kids who came down from the north during the '60s to march with them. I've always wondered why the two groups weren't a lot closer.

But I'd imagine the SEC might have a problem with forfeited games. And since it's looking like 14 teams is too many for a major conference, I wouldn't want to be the school that causes that kind of a problem. Sounds like the president's days are numbered (as in expect an announcement Monday).
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Anybody having a hissy over the Ferguson situation is someone any community - university or otherwise - would be better off without.

Just curious what percentage of college football recruits you estimate are on each side of the Ferguson issue? I think it would make sense why this isn't a simple cut them all situation.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:14 PM   #7
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just curious what percentage of college football recruits you estimate are on each side of the Ferguson issue?

I don't think all that highly of the intelligence or moral character of an exceptionally high percentage of college football recruits. Perhaps, in the grand scheme, universities would be better served to simply move on without them.

At was pointed out earlier, 4-5 and coming off an ass-whooping sure is a convenient time to suddenly go all social crusader.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I read the MSM story about this, and it talks about a slow response to swastika-drawing this week. Are African-American students now showing solidarity with Jewish students?

I almost have to assume this is a rhetorical question.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #9
nol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I read the MSM story about this, and it talks about a slow response to swastika-drawing this week. Are African-American students now showing solidarity with Jewish students? If so, that's interesting. It was largely Jewish kids who came down from the north during the '60s to march with them. I've always wondered why the two groups weren't a lot closer.

But I'd imagine the SEC might have a problem with forfeited games. And since it's looking like 14 teams is too many for a major conference, I wouldn't want to be the school that causes that kind of a problem. Sounds like the president's days are numbered (as in expect an announcement Monday).

As has been previously documented in a few other threads, the swastika and the Confederate flag have been used interchangeably on both sides of the pond as symbols of white supremacy. This particular act of vandalism was carried out by someone who smeared their own shit on a bathroom wall, so I'd suspect it was due to a swastika being easier to make than the stars and bars.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:49 AM   #10
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Just curious what percentage of college football recruits you estimate are on each side of the Ferguson issue? I think it would make sense why this isn't a simple cut them all situation.
Quote:
I don't think all that highly of the intelligence or moral character of an exceptionally high percentage of college football recruits. Perhaps, in the grand scheme, universities would be better served to simply move on without them.
Regardless of which side one comes down on this one, this tension is where this Mizzou thing gets...interesting. Revoke scholarships, kick them off the team, or whatever "they-broke-their-contract" response you want, and--because of the recruiting issue--your football program is toast. A player tweeted that the coaches are standing with them--"even the white coaches." If they ever want to be successful in CFB, do they really even have a choice? Don't voice support of the players in this situation, and every rival coach you ever recruit against for the rest of your career will gladly remind every black player you try to recruit of how you proved yourself to be an insensitive/racist/anti-player guy when you were at Mizzou.

I wonder if the players will be willing to negotiate. It seems that if not and he resigns, they've created a blueprint for college athletes to get whatever they want whenever they want.

Yes, I'm very interested to see how this one plays out.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:51 AM   #11
Ben E Lou

New thread created.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:17 AM   #12
Dutch
"Dutch"

Can somebody explain what Tim Wolfe did wrong? This particle article's explanation is shit.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:19 AM   #13
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
As has been previously documented in a few other threads, the swastika and the Confederate flag have been used interchangeably on both sides of the pond as symbols of white supremacy. This particular act of vandalism was carried out by someone who smeared their own shit on a bathroom wall, so I'd suspect it was due to a swastika being easier to make than the stars and bars.

Both the subject and writing material would also seem to back up Jon's point about the level of intelligence and character, in this case at least
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 05:26 AM   #14
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Can somebody explain what Tim Wolfe did wrong? This particle article's explanation is shit.

Um, btw, no pun intended.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:11 AM   #15
Ben E Lou

Quote:
The main complaint seems to be more about inaction than action, though a comment he made to some students that was caught on video seemed to fuel the fire. He was asked something like "define systemic racism" and he said something along the lines of "systemic racism is when you think you haven't gotten a fair shake."
Old 11-08-2015, 06:49 AM   #16
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hmmm, I guess where I'm coming from is...I'd fire a racist. I'd fire a white-supremacist. I'd fire somebody for smearing crap on a wall. I might even fire him for making a bad decision after analyzing the situation.

I won't fire him because he took a week to address a concern. I won't fire him because some political activist group suggested I should fire him.

I'm just trying to get to the meat of the argument and I'm not getting the information I need. The video of him saying something poor regarding "Systematic Racism" suggests something sinister, but what if it takes me a week to get the info I need to truly make an informed opinion?

So for this dude, was he doing his due-diligence or was he sweeping it under the rug. That's the question I basically have. Then I could get him on negligence of his duties (if it's the later).

Last edited by Dutch : 11-08-2015 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:53 AM   #17
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I just did some reading and found out there are more than just some athletes and folks, he's getting pressure from academic circles on campus as well.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #18
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

So for this dude, was he doing his due-diligence or was he sweeping it under the rug. That's the question I basically have. Then I could get him on negligence of his duties (if it's the later).

There's no way due diligence on a CC campus for something easy like vandalism and a bias incident on top of that takes that long Most colleges have bias teams that respond extremely quickly to incidents, and with very high ups on it - it's a university standard. A week for that is way too long.

Plus it's long on the research end. We had some unfortunate vandalism in my residence hall over Halloween weekend. On Monday morning, I reviewed the tapes, printed out the suspects, asked around until I found out who it was, documented it, and then sent out an e-mail to my building letting then know what had happened, and how we had found those responsible. On Monday. The first work day back. It's highly unlikely that a high profile bias-case takes longer.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 11-08-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:01 AM   #19
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I just did some reading and found out there are more than just some athletes and folks, he's getting pressure from academic circles on campus as well.

Yes. This guy has hit the mother lode of the wrong people to piss off. There are racial issues that are certainly getting more play due to Ferguson, planned parenthood issues with the faculty, and in a completely different realm he tried taking apart the Greek system for drinking and sexual assault problems on campus. (More the channcellor on this one but I'm guessing they will all go) So let's just say he has very few friends. Faculty... No. Athletic department... No. Greek system... No. Don't think he will last through today.

With all that said none of these issues seems much different than the Mizzou I and to in the early 90's or a lot college campuses across the country. But in the gotcha social media world (sometimes good and sometimes bad) this is the job you have now as university president.

Last edited by panerd : 11-08-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
There's no way due diligence on a CC campus for something easy like vandalism and a bias incident on top of that takes that long Most colleges have bias teams that respond extremely quickly to incidents, and with very high ups on it - it's a university standard. A week for that is way too long.

Plus it's long on the research end. We had some unfortunate vandalism in my residence hall over Halloween weekend. On Monday morning, I reviewed the tapes, printed out the suspects, asked around until I found out who it was, documented it, and then sent out an e-mail to my building letting then know what had happened, and how we had found those responsible. On Monday. The first work day back. It's highly unlikely that a high profile bias-case takes longer.

What did the president of the university say about it?
Old 11-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #21
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

I wonder if the players will be willing to negotiate. It seems that if not and he resigns, they've created a blueprint for college athletes to get whatever they want whenever they want.

You can't blame the students for realizing that they have all power. This is the price for making athletics the dominant program on campus.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #22
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
You can't blame the students for realizing that they have all power. This is the price for making athletics the dominant program on campus.

And why I'm pretty sure that College Athletics (that make millions) need to either be restructured as a true school resource for more real (nationally needed) degrees like engineering and the sciences or just let it go and let Pro Footbal, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey create feeder leagues for U21's where these athletes get paid for their efforts.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-08-2015 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:40 AM   #23
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Regardless of which side one comes down on this one, this tension is where this Mizzou thing gets...interesting. Revoke scholarships, kick them off the team, or whatever "they-broke-their-contract" response you want, and--because of the recruiting issue--your football program is toast. A player tweeted that the coaches are standing with them--"even the white coaches." If they ever want to be successful in CFB, do they really even have a choice? Don't voice support of the players in this situation, and every rival coach you ever recruit against for the rest of your career will gladly remind every black player you try to recruit of how you proved yourself to be an insensitive/racist/anti-player guy when you were at Mizzou.

This was/is where I am. It's fascinating on so many levels.

There is zero doubt how this is going to play out. The prez is going to resign. Not just because of his football team, but because this involves race on any level and the fact he has no support from anyone else. That will always equal instant death.

We are now an outrage society and no public figure can survive too much of it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:45 AM   #24
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And why I'm pretty sure that College Athletics (that make millions) need to either be restructured as a true school resource for more real (nationally needed) degrees like engineering and the sciences or just let it go and let Pro Footbal, Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey create feeder leagues for U21's where these athletes get paid for their efforts.

This.

I think the athletes should be paid, but I also think colleges, especially public colleges, shouldn't be subsidizing athletics. The soccer system in Europe generally works well. If teams want to develop athletes, let them foot the bill.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:19 AM   #25
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
This.

I think the athletes should be paid.

Agreed. And students should not be paid. What an amazing conflict of interest that creates.

What's next after this most recent racial divide? It won't be long before we get the "old rich white folks are slaving black kids" mantra and at that point, the system will start to meltdown and we'll get national support for professional development leagues and we can stop with this farce of giving athletes educations that they aren't apply themselves towards anyway.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-08-2015 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #26
nol
Banned

Quote:

Exactly. Think of how quickly Oklahoma shut down that racist frat.
Old 11-08-2015, 11:23 AM   #27
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
Exactly. Think of how quickly Oklahoma shut down that racist frat.

That was obvious as hell though...
Old 11-08-2015, 11:35 AM   #28
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
This.

I think the athletes should be paid, but I also think colleges, especially public colleges, shouldn't be subsidizing athletics. The soccer system in Europe generally works well. If teams want to develop athletes, let them foot the bill.

Should colleges subsidize any student activities?
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #30
BYU 14
Coordinator

In regard to items 5 and 6

5 - Shouldn't faculty and staff be hired on basis of merit and not forced affirmative action? In order to meet this demand do you let current staff go, who may be every bit deserving or more deserving of those brought in to replace them? Sorry, nothing should be done just to increase a certain demographic. It should be based on qualifications and those that have done nothing to warrant dismissal to accommodate this should be penalized.

6 - Doesn't the University already have programs like this in place for ALL marginalized students regardless of ethnicity? I showed my wife this demand and her first thought is it actually has a negative affect. That it is almost insinuating that some ethnicities are not capable of succeeding themselves without having access to assistance above and beyond that of any other group of students.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:23 PM   #31
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Should colleges subsidize any student activities?

Fair point. They can have equal the subsidies for Sibling Weekend.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:26 PM   #32
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

5 - Shouldn't faculty and staff be hired on basis of merit and not forced affirmative action? In order to meet this demand do you let current staff go, who may be every bit deserving or more deserving of those brought in to replace them? Sorry, nothing should be done just to increase a certain demographic. It should be based on qualifications and those that have done nothing to warrant dismissal to accommodate this should be penalized.

That's assuming there's an obvious better candidate for every position. Having done academic hiring, there's a lot of similarity in candidates. Occasionally you find one that's obviously better, but most often you're making final decisions based on specialty interests of the candidate and/or personality.

That being said, I don't know if that's a good remedy at UM as I don't know nearly enough about the demographics of faculty/staff.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #33
BYU 14
Coordinator

And dola on the "white male privilege" This is such bullshit IMO. Does white privilege exist? Yes, but the correct definition should be rich male privilege, which certainly encompasses mostly white males, but certainly does not encompass a whole fucking demographic. Maybe word your demand a bit better to capture the where the true privilege benefits a select few and hurts many others regardless of race.

I have certainly not gotten to where I am in my career because of privilege, it has been earned over the 25 year career in my industry. I have no problem talking about tough racial issues and am very involved in them.

Lets but down on the stereotypes that encompass such a broad swath of people and focus on where the privilege truly exists.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:33 PM   #34
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

6 - Doesn't the University already have programs like this in place for ALL marginalized students regardless of ethnicity? I showed my wife this demand and her first thought is it actually has a negative affect. That it is almost insinuating that some ethnicities are not capable of succeeding themselves without having access to assistance above and beyond that of any other group of students.

With regard to #1, the dude must admit his "white male privilege" or they will not accept him staying employed at the university. That's some crazy (concernedstudent) 1950's white-folk logic right there.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-08-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #35
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Why not just have them teach each other? Seems like they feel they are smarter than everyone else.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #36
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
And dola on the "white male privilege" This is such bullshit IMO. Does white privilege exist? Yes, but the correct definition should be rich male privilege, which certainly encompasses mostly white males, but certainly does not encompass a whole fucking demographic. Maybe word your demand a bit better to capture the where the true privilege benefits a select few and hurts many others regardless of race.

I have certainly not gotten to where I am in my career because of privilege, it has been earned over the 25 year career in my industry. I have no problem talking about tough racial issues and am very involved in them.

Lets but down on the stereotypes that encompass such a broad swath of people and focus on where the privilege truly exists.

The demands are being made by very young people with no life experiences, they aren't perfect.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-08-2015 at 12:34 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:35 PM   #37
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
That's assuming there's an obvious better candidate for every position. Having done academic hiring, there's a lot of similarity in candidates. Occasionally you find one that's obviously better, but most often you're making final decisions based on specialty interests of the candidate and/or personality.

That being said, I don't know if that's a good remedy at UM as I don't know nearly enough about the demographics of faculty/staff.

And I totally agree with and support this, again as long as everyone is given an equal opportunity, it meets the needs (not wants) of the institution and you are not removing someone just as qualified, or more so for the sake of increasing a certain demographic.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #38
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
The demands are being made by very young people with no life experiences, they aren't perfect.

I know, nor are any of us, which is why this should be a point of discussion and not a demand.

And please don't misinterpret my responses as dismissive to these students as I know they bring up some very real and important issues. I completely support this overall, just feel they are a bit off base on some things.

Last edited by BYU 14 : 11-08-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #39
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Why not just have them teach each other? Seems like they feel they are smarter than everyone else.

That's just college students these days.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #40
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
I know, nor are any of us, which is why this should be a point of discussion and not a demand.

Agreed.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #41
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

Maybe we can replace the teachers with kiosks...
Old 11-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #42
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Maybe we can replace the teachers with kiosks...

I've had online classes that were pretty much like that.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #43
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I've had online classes that were pretty much like that.

hehe...me too.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #44
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The whole thing is weird. Not specific to this but all over the country. 20 year olds telling professors how to teach their classes and administrators how to run their schools. If you're smarter than them, why are you spending money to go to college?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 01:14 PM   #45
molson
General Manager

I'm not sure what any of those allegations have to do with the president, but it's pretty shocking to me that students are still acting like that. I know there's been different examples of stuff like that at fraternities, like that Oklahoma deal, but it just all reminds me of how sheltered I am. I've never seen or heard anything like that in my life, outward racial harassment, and I went to college 20 years ago at a fairly diverse university, and went to an even more diverse high school. I know white privilege and institutional racism was and is a part of schools everywhere, but its disturbing how many young people are still in the mindset of individually deciding to use racial slurs to harass people. And the student who apparently made a swastika in a bathroom out of shit - that's some commitment to their way of thinking.

Last edited by molson : 11-08-2015 at 01:21 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #46
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I'm not sure what any of those allegations have to do with the president, but it's pretty shocking to me that students are still acting like that. I know there's been different examples of stuff like that at fraternities, like that Oklahoma deal, but it just all reminds me of how sheltered I am. I've never seen or heard anything like that in my life, outward racial harassment, and I went to college 20 years ago at a fairly diverse university, and went to an even more diverse high school. I know white privilege and institutional racism was and is a part of schools everywhere, but its disturbing how many young people are still in the mindset of individually deciding to use racial slurs to harass people. And the student who apparently made a swastika in a bathroom out of shit - that's some commitment to their way of thinking.

There are St. Louis and Kansas City which have large black populations. White populations in the counties of both cities that are somewhat mixed on racial attitudes. (I think both voted for Obama in both elections). And then there is the rest of the state. I guess Columbia is a tiny bit liberal but that is only because of the students and not the residents. None of these stories surprise me and this was what Mizzou was like when I was there. You actually would have probably created a shitstorm of controversy if you do this when you are one game removed from the national title game when an openly gay player. Twitter might have exploded.

But again I ask why now? Why not during their top ten ranked seasons the past two years? Why not when they were highly ranked and 3-0 early in the year. It is just a big eye roll to me that they are now fired up about racial issues after rolling off five losses including an ass kicking Thursday night.

Last edited by panerd : 11-08-2015 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #47
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
including an ass kicking Thursday night.

I know right, now they act all Bulldog-ish?

Last edited by Dutch : 11-08-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #48
nol
Banned

Quote:
But again I ask why now? Why not during their top ten ranked seasons the past two years? Why not when they were highly ranked and 3-0 early in the year. It is just a big eye roll to me that they are now fired up about racial issues after rolling off five losses including an ass kicking Thursday night.

Because it's in solidarity with a larger student movement that began in response to recent events. Pretty crazy that African-American football players could have concerns beyond scoring touchdowns and making panerd happy with a win every Saturday, but that's the world we live in.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:55 PM   #49
Ben E Lou

Quote:
A player tweeted that the coaches are standing with them--"even the white coaches." If they ever want to be successful in CFB, do they really even have a choice? Don't voice support of the players in this situation, and every rival coach you ever recruit against for the rest of your career will gladly remind every black player you try to recruit of how you proved yourself to be an insensitive/racist/anti-player guy when you were at Mizzou.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #50
digamma
Torchbearer

Wow. That's fairly powerful.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote