Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

PING: Cartman (And other Chefs)

I am trying to get behind the BBQ more and do more cooking because I've always had the interest in doing it, yet have never had the means. With a decent paying job now I can afford to invest some money along with time into this, so I am looking for some advice on peoples (especially Cartman) favorite spices, maronaides, etc, and any hints or advice they can give.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #2
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
For steaks, I usually don't use any kind of rub or marinade at all. I let the steaks get to room temperature before grilling, and about the only thing I do is give them a thin coating of olive oil, and a couple of turns of the grinder for salt and pepper. You don't want to use too much salt, as it will draw out the juices from inside the steak.

For fish, chicken, and pork, I have all sorts of stuff I do. One of my favorites are shrimp that I marinade in lime juice, pineapple juice, dark rum, cilantro and garlic. For italian sausages, I have a marinade that is made from olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and garlic. I usually marinade various colors of bell peppers and a red onion to grill as well.

For general marinades, I've found the various flavors from Fischer & Weiser are awesome. I'm not sure if they have expanded nationwide yet.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:37 PM   #3
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I fully agree with Cartman. Why people put stuff on good steak before, during or after grilling makes no sense to me (besides a little oil and pepper, no salt though). For fish, poultry and pork though, I marinate the heck out of them, particularly anything with lime, cilantro (and/or cumin) and garlic.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

For grilling with charcoal....overload one side with coals, and put a little less on the other side...Use the hotter side for searing, and the cooler side for cooking. This helps give it that "crunchy on the outside, juicy on the inside" quality.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:25 PM   #5
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Use a meat thermometer. You want to make sure it's cooked, but don't slice open your meat. As you get more experienced you'll start to know cooking times, but start with a thermometer.

Also, when in doubt, less heat.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #6
CraigSca
Pro Starter

Make sure you preheat - and then take some tongs and dip a paper towel in some oil and wipe the grate with it - this will season the grate as well as help keep food from sticking.

Another way to do this is to spray some PAM right on the food before grilling (though do this well away from the fire unless you hate your eyebrows).
how do you know?

CraigSca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

That's a good point. I leave the grate off of the grill while it is heating up and just before I'm ready to place the meat, I spray the grill with PAM. I want the coals to sear the meat, not the grate.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
MrBug708
Head Coach

Make sure you buy white pepper. Any sauces you make usually need white pepper
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 AM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Penzey's Spices makes some fantastic rubs and unique seasonings.

I'm partial to the Northwoods Fire one, but I haven't had something from Penzey's that I don't like.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote