Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2005, 03:07 PM   #1
BigJohn&TheLions
College Benchwarmer

Preparations for Peyton & His Friends...

I like this... It's from espn.com

New England Patriots: The Pats practiced indoors rather than on their wet outdoor fields. The Gillette Stadium field remained uncovered through Wednesday's rain and, with colder temperatures expected later this week, it could freeze before Sunday's playoff game with the Colts.

That could make it tougher for Indianapolis receivers to get open and catch passes from record-setting Peyton Manning. However, Patriots safety Rodney Harrison said it shouldn't matter since those receivers have played well in wet weather already.

BigJohn&TheLions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #2
spleen1015
Coordinator

I don't think it is going to matter. Let NE try to get any advantage they can.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:13 PM   #3
rkmsuf
Head Coach

stop calling him Peyton dammit.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
rkmsuf
Head Coach

It's supposed to be 60 up here tomorrow so the test will be Thursday night. It probably won't matter but perhaps it will get the Colts thinking.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #5
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo
If Peyton is going to beat the Patriots, this is the year. Barring injury, the Patriots will be better next year and Peyton's Colts likely will not with their signing and salary cap concerns. Peyton can only hope to overcome the demons that seem to follow him to New England. Either way, I think Peyton has a shot.

You did that on purpose didn't you.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Desnudo
Coordinator

If Peyton is going to beat the Patriots, this is the year. Barring injury, the Patriots will be better next year and Peyton's Colts likely will not with their signing and salary cap concerns. Peyton can only hope to overcome the demons that seem to follow him to New England. Either way, I think Peyton has a shot.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Wouldn't a wet field actually help the receivers? After all, they know when they're going to cut, the DBs don't.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:33 PM   #8
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Wouldn't a wet field actually help the receivers? After all, they know when they're going to cut, the DBs don't.

That was always my thought. But i think it decreases the chances for big YAC plays.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Agree completley.

The Colts are never going to better than this year. NE are at least going to maintain, could possily improve.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:49 PM   #10
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

But I so want Richard and Willie to put the hurt on Peyton...

FM
Old 01-12-2005, 04:51 PM   #11
Philliesfan980
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn&TheLions
I like this... It's from espn.com

New England Patriots: The Pats practiced indoors rather than on their wet outdoor fields. The Gillette Stadium field remained uncovered through Wednesday's rain and, with colder temperatures expected later this week, it could freeze before Sunday's playoff game with the Colts.

That could make it tougher for Indianapolis receivers to get open and catch passes from record-setting Peyton Manning. However, Patriots safety Rodney Harrison said it shouldn't matter since those receivers have played well in wet weather already.

To me its cheap. Unless you normally leave your field uncovered during the week and its a normal practice around the league, its cheap. Why can't they just win normally? I'm getting a little tired of these "underdogs". I'd love to see the Colts beat the tar out of them in the dome.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:55 PM   #12
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
To me its cheap. Unless you normally leave your field uncovered during the week and its a normal practice around the league, its cheap. Why can't they just win normally? I'm getting a little tired of these "underdogs". I'd love to see the Colts beat the tar out of them in the dome.

It's standard practice in all sports. Heinz field is set up to take advantage of the fact that the Steelers like to play mud ball. In baseball, slow teams let the grass grow in their infield and water the dirt. The list goes on. Of course anyone who is a proponent of dome football obviously is wrong anyway.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:29 PM   #13
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I doubt the Pats will be playing much man defense, and it shouldn't hurt a zone as much. It sounds like the hope is the field either freezes over, making it hard to dig in and make crisp cuts or gets really bad and torn up, slowing down the receivers and throwing off timing routes, buying enough time for all the blitzers and different front seven looks to get pressure on Manning. With Seymour's effectiveness uncertain, this should help us a lot. I only wish the game was at night or it was snowing again for even more of an advantage.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #14
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980
To me its cheap.

I totally disagree. It's called home-field advantage for a reason. The Colts had their chance to win more games than the Pats this year, but they couldn't do it. So instead of playing on a track surface where everyone is "artificially" faster, they are instead stuck outside in the cold NE weather.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:54 PM   #15
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

all I know is that I am REALLY looking forward to the AFC games this weekend.