Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-12-2005, 01:36 AM   #1
Axxon
Pro Starter

Footballs Oldest Record - is it breakable?

I was looking around and I see that the oldest record in the NFL is for points scored in 1 game. Ernie Nevers scored 40 points against the Chicago Cardinals in 1929. He had 6 tds and 4 extra points. That's a pretty good days work.

So, do you think this will be broken? It would take 7 tds or a guy who kicks and plays offense to do it. On the one hand, 7 doesn't seem like a huge number but when you think about it, it's monstrous. I say that it could but likely won't be broken, at least not in my lifetime.

Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:38 AM   #2
Suicane75
Coordinator

Scoring or passing? Cause i could see a QB throwing for 7 TD's in a game someday but it'd be near for impossible for a WR or RB to actually score 7 TD's though.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
sooner333
College Starter

To score the points it would have to be caught or ran in, or kicked in. Unless Wes Welker gets to kick and starts on offense, I really doubt it.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:47 AM   #4
CHEMICAL SOLDIER
College Starter

That's pretty hard to break a record like that. Someday soon enough though that record will fall.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:50 AM   #5
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Scoring or passing? Cause i could see a QB throwing for 7 TD's in a game someday but it'd be near for impossible for a WR or RB to actually score 7 TD's though.

Scoring. I could see passing for seven too but get sceptical about scoring seven. Interestingly enough, Jim Thorpe scored 38 on 4 td 3fg and 5 eps while his Canton Bulldogs outscored the Buffalo All Stars 77-0 so 40 isn't that much higher than number two but Jim did his even earlier. It was in 1916.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #6
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Didn't Shaun Alexander rack up 5 TD's not too long ago? I'm pretty sure he did it with a good deal of time left on the clock too.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:54 AM   #7
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEMICAL SOLDIER
That's pretty hard to break a record like that. Someday soon enough though that record will fall.

I wonder though. After number 5 or so, I'd do everything possible, including things that would draw the flags to not let this guy score.

I think the best chance someone would have is if they were a position player who could also kick and be having a monster day the same day the regular kicker got injured.

It does make me wonder why there aren't any kicker-punter/position players any more. I don't mean a lot of them but at least a few. Who was the last position player to kick an ep or field goal? I know who the last ( only ) Buccaneer to do it was but I mean league wide.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 AM   #8
Suicane75
Coordinator

If you think about it though, how many teams score 7 TD's in a game in a season? 2 or 3 at most maybe. And 1 guy would have to score all of them, I think it's nearly impossible.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:00 AM   #9
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
If you think about it though, how many teams score 7 TD's in a game in a season? 2 or 3 at most maybe. And 1 guy would have to score all of them, I think it's nearly impossible.

Maybe Marvin Harrison?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:01 AM   #10
TLK
Pro Starter

With my luck, it will be Aaron Stecker, next year in Week 16.... and yes, my team will be playing against him in fantasy football....
TLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:02 AM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon
Maybe Marvin Harrison?

I don't think so, i mean, Manning would have to throw all 7, and none to Wayne or Pollard or James or Stokley, it'd just be too much.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:04 AM   #12
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
Didn't Shaun Alexander rack up 5 TD's not too long ago? I'm pretty sure he did it with a good deal of time left on the clock too.

Which brings up a good point. You'd not only have to be able to score them but have a coach who will let you score them and unless the game is very close and super super high scoring btw, it'd be hard to justify the injury risk.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:07 AM   #13
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLionKing
With my luck, it will be Aaron Stecker, next year in Week 16.... and yes, my team will be playing against him in fantasy football....

I like Stecker. I think he got a raw deal in Tampa. Who is your team btw?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:09 AM   #14
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:

3 this year by my count, plus Indy in the playoffs last week. Pretty improbable that one guy will get all 7, but at that rate it'll happen sooner or later. Particularly considering a coach might decide to 'go for the record' if a guy's got, say, 5 TD's through 3 quarters.

Definitely breakable.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 02:15 AM   #15
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
3 this year by my count, plus Indy in the playoffs last week. Pretty improbable that one guy will get all 7, but at that rate it'll happen sooner or later. Particularly considering a coach might decide to 'go for the record' if a guy's got, say, 5 TD's through 3 quarters.

Definitely breakable.

Would you fire a coach who got his star running back lets say injured while going for an essentially meaningless pile on record like that?

I'd say the risk of injury would really rise at that point. Not because the other team would be trying to injure him but they'd darn sure be trying to hurt him if you know what I mean.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:29 AM   #16
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Who was the last position player to kick an ep or field goal?

That one's easy. The answer is the aforementioned Wes Welker.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:39 AM   #17
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
That one's easy. The answer is the aforementioned Wes Welker.

Oh.

Does playing for the Dolphins count as being in the NFL though?
Old 01-12-2005, 06:29 AM   #18
Philliesfan980
Banned

Priest Holmes had 4 in a game pretty early this year. It ended up being a blowout and I believe that Blaylock had 4 in the same game as well. I would imagine that if Holmes was left in , he would have scored the 4 TDs, giving him 8 for the game.
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 06:35 AM   #19
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

I think it can be broken, but it would take a lot of luck and a high scoring game.

Didn't Ricky Watters have 6 TDs in a game once, or was it just 5? I beleive it was a playoff game.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:05 AM   #20
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Tzu
Wow, Shaun Alexander got back-stabbed before and never rang a bell!
We need to page Alexander about this record, he had those 5 td's in one half, but he wasn't pulled from the game with the 45-10 lead. That Seahawks defense in 2002 really messed with him.

(I have nothing against Alexander, but the timing of this topic is, to say the least, ironic.)
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:11 AM   #21
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I think it could happen. It would need to be a running back in a reasonably high-scoring game, but it's possible.

As mentioned, Alexander had five TDs in the first half a few years ago. More recently, Priest Holmes and Derrick Blaylock split an eight TD rushing day this season -- maybe if Priest hadn't been banged up in the game, he could have had a shot.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #22
QuikSand
lolzcat

I was pretty excited to have guessed Ernie Nevers' 40 points just based on the title.

So, I agee that we're talking about 7 TDs as the way to do it in modern football... and I think this record is pretty secure. The Chiefs with their 8 rushing TDs in one game this year give us the most obvious blueprint -- it would almost certainly have to be a runnig back.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #23
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I think it could happen. It would need to be a running back in a reasonably high-scoring game, but it's possible.

As mentioned, Alexander had five TDs in the first half a few years ago. More recently, Priest Holmes and Derrick Blaylock split an eight TD rushing day this season -- maybe if Priest hadn't been banged up in the game, he could have had a shot.

Agree with this. I think we'd have to talk about the two teams combining for 80+ points and it would have to be a running back. I wouldn't be surprised to see the record broken in the next 10 years.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #24
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Maybe Michael Vick can run in that many in a game.

Another path to racking up the points would be 2 point conversions, but those don't happen too often in NFL games.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:58 PM   #25
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman
Maybe Michael Vick can run in that many in a game.

Another path to racking up the points would be 2 point conversions, but those don't happen too often in NFL games.

You'd need 21 2 point conversions to get it that way. I think 7 td's would be easier.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:01 PM   #26
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Hey, a 140+ point game could happen

Then again, someone else would probably break the scoring record in that game.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #27
mckerney
Coordinator

I'd be less surprised to see someone break this than to see someone break Jim Marshal's iron man streak of 282 consecutive starts.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 10:42 PM   #28
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
I'd be less surprised to see someone break this than to see someone break Jim Marshal's iron man streak of 282 consecutive starts.

IMHO that's a bogus record anyway since kickers and punters aren't considered starters but the very person who starts the game and touches the ball first is the kicker. Stupid, stupid non record to me.

Doesn't matter though as there is only one NFL record that CAN'T be broken.

In 1998, the Vikings Gary Anderson was a perfect 35-35 on field goals and 59-59
for a perfect season. Can't beat that one.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #29
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
In 1998, the Vikings Gary Anderson was a perfect 35-35 on field goals and 59-59 for a perfect season. Can't beat that one.

So, if a kicker next year plays in week one, kicks one FG and one PAT both good, gets hurt and goes onto IR for the season -- then he has tied this record with 100% in each category?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:59 PM   #30
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
IMHO that's a bogus record anyway since kickers and punters aren't considered starters but the very person who starts the game and touches the ball first is the kicker. Stupid, stupid non record to me.

In 1998, the Vikings Gary Anderson was a perfect 35-35 on field goals and 59-59
for a perfect season. Can't beat that one.

What about Vanderjadt last season?

37-37 FG, 46-46 PAT
Old 01-12-2005, 11:12 PM   #31
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand
So, if a kicker next year plays in week one, kicks one FG and one PAT both good, gets hurt and goes onto IR for the season -- then he has tied this record with 100% in each category?

Yep, unless there's some minimum attempts required to qualify.

The record has been tied three other times, the latest being Vanderjagt with a perfect 37/37 and 46/46 ep. But if you notice, I said the record can't be beaten.The reason I didn't mention him first is the first article I read on it was old. It was on espn2. It had this to say about Anderson's feat

Quote:
10. Gary Anderson, 100 percent -- FG kicking percentage, regular season
Perfection is awfully hard to come by in pro sports, especially over an extended period of time. In 1998, Anderson, kicking for the Vikings, achieved a mark that can only be tied, never broken -- he hit 35 of 35 field goals. No misses. Two other kickers -- the Rams Jeff Wilkins in 2000, and the Rams Tony Zendejas in 1991 -- have also had perfect seasons, but each only attempted 17 3-pointers. In fact, Anderson had a completely perfect season, also hitting 59 of 59 PAT. Ninety-four opportunities to score. Ninety-four conversions. Our verdict: unbreakable record.

I think Vanderjagt's feat was better but none of the three others have beaten Andersons record. They've only tied it.

This is the link to the espn 2 article. It's a fun read.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/nfl/bestrecords.html
Old 01-12-2005, 11:14 PM   #32
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I would consider that kicker record to be broken if it was done by a kicker who plays for a team that's not a dome team. That would be a far greater achievement even though it would not be "technically" better it would still be better.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:15 PM   #33
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

dola: oh, and it's not the perfect season that Anderson is remembered for that year.

Last edited by EagleFan : 01-12-2005 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #34
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
What about Vanderjadt last season?

37-37 FG, 46-46 PAT

Already answered why I had left out Vanderjagt and how he dind't break a record but only tied it.

Oh, and Anderson scored more points in his record year to boot.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:17 PM   #35
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

double dola: hey a time warp thing for me.

Edit: Oh well, I couldn't do a multiple warp.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:37 PM   #36
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
dola: oh, and it's not the perfect season that Anderson is remembered for that year.

Well, it's not the consecutive games played record that Marshal is most remembered for either.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:00 AM   #37
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

As far as Gary Anderson's record is concerned (or should we be calling it Tony Zendejas' record?), if we're only talking about kicking percentage, of course it can't be beaten. I think precedence should go to the guy who was perfect on the most attempts, though. As QuikSand sort of alluded to earlier, there's a big difference between being perfect on 1 attempt and being perfect on 37.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:06 AM   #38
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
As far as Gary Anderson's record is concerned (or should we be calling it Tony Zendejas' record?), if we're only talking about kicking percentage, of course it can't be beaten. I think precedence should go to the guy who was perfect on the most attempts, though. As QuikSand sort of alluded to earlier, there's a big difference between being perfect on 1 attempt and being perfect on 37.

You know, I looked at that more than once looking for just that and still read it as Zendejas as occuring after Anderson. Sometimes it sucks to post from work.

I also agree with the latter which is why I said that I thought Vanderjagt's feat was better even though Anderson scored more points. I wonder if ESPN2 was writing the article this season if they'd use Vanderjagt instead of Anderson or if they'd just skip it and use another record in the piece.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:24 AM   #39
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Oh, and Anderson scored more points in his record year to boot.

Anderson did have the advantage of playing on a team with the greatest offense in NFL history.

Which also brings into question if we'll see a team put up as many points as the '98 Vikings anytime soon. As good a season as the Colts had, they were still 34 points behind the Vikings mark of 556.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:35 AM   #40
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Anderson did have the advantage of playing on a team with the greatest offense in NFL history.

Which also brings into question if we'll see a team put up as many points as the '98 Vikings anytime soon. As good a season as the Colts had, they were still 34 points behind the Vikings mark of 556.

True that and they topped it off with one of the biggest if not THE biggest choke jobs in the history of the league against Atlanta.

Being a Bucs fan I hated being in the same division as them that year but who handed them their one loss that season? Oh yeah, a division rival who would also win their first super bowl before the Vikings too.

That was one fun offense though. No doubt about it.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:48 AM   #41
Axxon
Pro Starter

Dola, Tampa Bay held the vikings to 24 points that game which was the lowest number of points Minnesota scored all season. The next season they held the high flying Rams to 13 points in the conference final and in 2002 they destroyed the super offense of the Raiders.

Obviously I'm biased but I honestly think the Buccaneer defense from 1997-2002 deserves to be ranked among the best defenses ever if not the best. Now, I happen to think the 1970's steelers defense is the best but I don't know. That Bucs defense can be mentioned in the same sentence without being embarrased.

They sure were fun to watch. They seemed to almost always outscore their own offense too.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:52 AM   #42
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
True that and they topped it off with one of the biggest if not THE biggest choke jobs in the history of the league against Atlanta.

I don't think that give enough credit to Atlanta. They did go 14-2 and had the 4th ranked offense and defense in the league.
Old 01-13-2005, 03:10 AM   #43
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I don't think that give enough credit to Atlanta. They did go 14-2 and had the 4th ranked offense and defense in the league.

Maybe but they had the 4-12 Panthers, the 4-12 Rams, the 6-10 Saints helping this along. They swept all three of these teams and outscored them 165-102. Their only competition was the 12-4 49ers who they split with.

It's possible you may be giving them too much credit. Who knows. I don't really recall them looking like a powerhouse that season.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 AM   #44
JeeberD
General Manager

Quote:

Ahem

Tony Dorsett, anyone?

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:00 AM   #45
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
Ahem

Tony Dorsett, anyone?

Good call.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:09 AM   #46
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:

Even if you gave kickers starts for doing so, wouldn't they only start roughly 50% of games?
Old 01-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #47
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

The whole 'starters' thing is a little silly. The guys who just happen to be on the field for the first offensive/defensive play get credit for starting. So the 5th WR who is in their for 3 plays that game, one of them happening to be the first play, gets credit for a start while the fullback doesn't, etc...
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:28 AM   #48
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Ahem

Tony Dorsett, anyone?

and, he made the run with only 10 Cowboys on the field, which makes it even more impressive.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 12:47 PM   #49
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ahem

Tony Dorsett, anyone?

There are only TWO NFL records than can't be broken.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 01-13-2005, 12:49 PM   #50
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari
Even if you gave kickers starts for doing so, wouldn't they only start roughly 50% of games?

Actually, what I meant was that since a kicker starts every game, then the kicker position should count as a starting position and they would be eligible for the record.