Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-11-2005, 09:19 AM   #1
Suicane75
Coordinator

Toilet Help, Is This Odd?

So I got my new toilet installed on Sunday night, its an American Standard with some sort of air assisted flush that makes a sound like a jet plane when it gets flushed. Anyhoo, last night i noticed that after you flush it, the water level in the bowl slowly goes down, and i can sort of hear what sounds like water going out, a "drip drip" kind of sound when i go pee pee. I'm thinking theres an easy fix to this, and that it isn't that big a problem (dear god I hope not). Anyone have an idea of what i'm talking about and what the problem is?

Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:25 AM   #2
Castlerock
High School Varsity

I don't know how an air-assisted-flush works but you may be able to figure it out by reading this:
hxxp://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet.htm
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
JeeberD
General Manager

You and your toilet issues. I swear...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeberD
You and your toilet issues. I swear...

Everybodies gotta have their something.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:37 AM   #5
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlerock
I don't know how an air-assisted-flush works but you may be able to figure it out by reading this:
hxxp://home.howstuffworks.com/toilet.htm

Thanks for the link. I couldnt really find the issue, I did a google search and saw that a clog in a vent could do whats happening but we just them cleaned and it didnt start till the new toilet was put in. The toilet works fine, it's just odd that the water is going away.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:02 AM   #6
JeffR
High School JV

It sounds vaguely like what I was getting at my old apartment when the overflow tube in the tank developed a crack that allowed water to escape through it. But I can't see that happening with a brand new toilet.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
It sounds vaguely like what I was getting at my old apartment when the overflow tube in the tank developed a crack that allowed water to escape through it. But I can't see that happening with a brand new toilet.

Was there water visible on the floor or anywhere when that happened? Cause best I can tell the water is going right down the pipe.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
JeffR
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75
Was there water visible on the floor or anywhere when that happened? Cause best I can tell the water is going right down the pipe.

Nope, it was just leaking out through the overflow tube (the source of the dripping noise) and down the pipes, eventually lowering the water in the tank to the level of the crack. Can't remember how exactly it was causing the water in the bowl to be low, but I do recall that being the case.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:14 AM   #9
Suicane75
Coordinator

Hmm, I hope it isn't that. Although the drip sound sounds seems like it's coming from way down in the bottom. but....I dunno. I hope nothings cracked.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:31 AM   #10
JeffR
High School JV

If it is, it should be easy enough to spot - just take the top off the tank and watch it for a few minutes to see if there's any bubbling around the sides of the tube as air escapes through the crack.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:34 AM   #11
Suicane75
Coordinator

Ill do that. *crosses fingers*
Old 01-11-2005, 01:02 PM   #12
Suicane75
Coordinator

Welp, I looked, and theres a big ass, all encased unit in the tank so I can't see shit, so to speak.
Old 01-11-2005, 03:56 PM   #13
SplitPersonality1
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffR
...watch it for a few minutes to see if there's any bubbling around the sides of the tube as air escapes through the crack.

I love taking things out of context in a thread called Toliet Help.
SplitPersonality1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:57 AM   #14
Suicane75
Coordinator

2 Things, not that anyone cares, lol.

First, the water seems like it's just going right down the pipe, like, when I pee i can hear the water running instead of just sitting in the toilet, almost like a valve isnt shut, but is there a valve down there? It doesn't seem like it's coming from the tank at all.

Second, it rained like hell for about 5 hours last night, I wasn't here during the storm, but when I got home around midnight I went in and flushed.............and it WORKED, YAY!!! I've flushed it 2 more times during the night and it worked both those times as well. Now I havn't made #2 but im counting this as a victory since the water actually goes down in the rain, something that hasn't happened in 2 years.
Old 01-12-2005, 06:41 AM   #15
spleen1015
Coordinator

How about calling the installer and asking them? Have them come back out and look at it?
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 09:51 AM   #16
Loren
High School JV

ohhhh i think we had this problem, when we moved into this house they hadnt set the toilet correctly in the master bathroom (we have yet to fix it) but anyways it sounds like the water int he bowl is dripping away and kinda running but not the running like when the tank part empties out but in the bowl? soo it sounds like you're peeing and its kinda taking it away already? is that it or no
Old 01-13-2005, 12:13 AM   #17
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yup, thats exactly it. In order to go #2 we have to flush first so theres water in the bowl, and then go, lol.
Old 01-13-2005, 12:34 AM   #18
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren
ohhhh i think we had this problem, when we moved into this house they hadnt set the toilet correctly in the master bathroom (we have yet to fix it) but anyways it sounds like the water int he bowl is dripping away and kinda running but not the running like when the tank part empties out but in the bowl? soo it sounds like you're peeing and its kinda taking it away already? is that it or no

dibs on first toilet/girl fetis?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:25 AM   #19
Loren
High School JV

we'll let YOU keep that fetish DeTox although i DOOO have doing it on a toilet stories
yeah soo Suicane, fix your toilet, it's broken!! ID give you a solution but ours just stopped doing it one day, i think we kinda shook it a bit and the next day it wasnt doing it anymore